University of South Carolina Libraries
v.v-. “ v . j ^-. ; - :«i w m i Trinity United Methodist Church Formed By Merger In 1830’s Trinity United Methodist Church stands in a pleasant ru ral setting, amid broad, rolling lawns and groves of trees, about eight miles west of Newberry, S.C. The brick sanctuary, beau tiful in its simplicity, is the third house of worship to serve this church, which was formed by the merger of three older churches in the 1830’s . The name of Trinity, therefore, is quite appropriate. Trinity’s beginnings lay in the arrival of Methodist pioneers from Virginia and in the self- sacrificial labors of devoted lo cal preachers during the Ame rican Revolution, or soon after ward. James Foster, a Virgi nian, preached in what is now Newberry County prior to 1783. Settlers who heard Foster preach wrote to Methodist lead ers in Baltimore and asked for more preachers. To young Bis hop Francis Asbury these appeals for help were like the Macedonian vision of St. Paul. Burring southward, Asbury or ganized the new work and set up the Broad River Circuit, in cluding what is now Newberry County, with William Partridge as pastor. In 1789 Newberry County became part of the gi gantic Bush River Circuit, which reached to the Savannah River, with William Gassaway as pastor, or Circuit Rider. The or Ciuiiit r rode Ihr^rl snow, swam swollen rivers, en dured harrassment by rowdies,- and were often endangered by wilderness bandits. It took weeks to make the rounds of the huge circuits of those days, when ministers were scarce. Extreme hardship and exposure to the weather caused most of the circuit riders to die in their thirties. Only the aid of many devoted class leaders and local ministers helped keep the work alive. One of the early local minis ters was a brilliant, young Scotch physician, Dr. Meredith William Moon, who served many congregations while attending to his extensive medical practice. One of these congregations or ganized and established Moon’s Meeting House, near Old Town, in the 1790’s. In 1800 the Rev. Jeremiah Russell preached in a Quaker log church, White Lick Meeting House, near Higgins Ferry, on Saluda River, and organized Shady Grove Church, which was set up on land secured from the Stewart Family, about two miles west of the present Silver street. Daniel Stewart was a leader of this church. In 1812, under the ministry of John S. Capers and Allen Turner, Kadesh Church was founded. It was set up on land secured from William Plum- kett, on the Belfast road, about seven miles west of Newberry. The Gilder and Cromer fami lies were the principal leaders. George Cromer could be heard praying about three miles, and some said more. Col. James S. Mosley Gilder taught school in the church many years. Indeed, all these three pioneer churches were centers of education. In 1820, when the Newberry Circuit was set up, with Cole man Carlisle as pastor, the L early churches w VAXJf- wious declined* Si as: pecple moved in ftrge numbers to new lands in the southwest, or to the Ohi country. In 1830 the Rev. David Der rick began a determined effort to revive the Lord’s work in Newberry County. A revival be gan slowly and gained mo mentum. It spread to other de nominations and lasted several years. Th? first churches in Newberry Village were set up, and efforts began to consoli date several small rural churches. In 1835, under the ministry of Henry W. Ledbetter and William C. Ferrell, several years of effort bore fruit in the unior of Kadesh and Moon’s Meeting House and their estab lishment as a new church on land secured from David M. Waters; this was near the Le wis Spring, in the area between the forks of Beaverdam Creek. Since efforts at further conso lidation were still proceeding, the future name of the new church was uncertain. When the deed was drawn up, the spaces allotted for the name of the church were left blank; they are still blank today. The name Ka desh was used temporarily. However, two or three years later, after Shady Grove joined the combination, the name of Trinity came into use. Most of the people of Tri nity were poor and had few or no slaves. However, the servants of some wealthy neighbors at tended Trinity, and there was s considerable colored membersh considerable colored member- held for the instruction of the Ne^ro members. For a long time Sunday School was held only in summer, due to poor heating facilities. In 1847, after a stove was secured, the Sunday School was set up on a permanent basis. The first organ replaced the old-fashion ed tuning fork in 1892, The ryjfasstai 167. Horse-drawn hearses re placed farm wagons at funerals in 1890. The War Between the States brought much sorrow andhard- ship to the congregation. La dies met the trains at Silver- street and fed the wounded sol diers aboard. Severe impove rishment followed the war. A- bout two years later the colored brethren went out and founded their own church, Trinity A.M. E. Church; it exists today, ac- Enoree Baptist Church Over 200 Enoree Baptist Church was or ganized in 1768--202 years ago. It was a branch of Fairforest Baptist Church on BroadRiver. It is believed that the members worshipped in a tent until 1771. At this time, a log building was built to the left of the present building, which is located on Highway 176, near Keitt’s Cross Roads. It emerged from the ob scurity ofthe Revolution in 1790. A new house of worship was built in 1822. In 1859, the present church building was erected, and the name of the church was changed to Enoree. Prior to this time, it was known as Bauskett’s Chu rch. The present church property was given by Thomas Bauskett Wadlington. The deed was re corded September 2, 1881. Mr. Wadlington was one of the first settlers in this section. He set tied here in 1767, and married a Sandley. His sister married El lison Keitt, the sage of Enoree. The church cemetery, which is located to the right and rear of the present church building has some very old graves in it Some of the graves are the old, covered type with the four cement walls holding the slab of cement over the top of the grave. Some have the name and epitaph inscribed on the top slab of cement, andother shave it on a small marker, which stands on top of this cover. There are ap proximately 171 graves in this cemetery, 44 of which are, either no marked,or not legible. The oldest marked grave in this cemetery was marked 1810. There is a small cemetery, with only six graves, located to the left of the present church building, which was probably to the rear of the first church building. This cemetery is known as the Wadlington Ceme tery. The present church building was remodeled in 1949. At this time, the gallery, used in the earlier years for slaves, was closed off. This space has been used for class rooms since 1956. In 1963, an educational building was added to the left of the church building. Just to the left of this building, an old rock still stands which was used in the earlier years for the la dies to mount their horses. In 1968, the church building was again renovated, nr^ng some of the most major changes in the appearance of the sanc tuary in its history. At this time, the church installed new furni ture. There is no record of how long the old, handmade furniture had been used, but the chairs on the pulpit were made in 1872. Other major changes at this time included making one cent er isle, instead of the two that had previously been used, in stalling a heat and air system, and also wall-to-wall carpet A baptistry was added to the rear of the sanctuary, which replaced the one located under the floor of the pulpit. A beautiful bap tistry painting was dedicated on March 29, 1970. This painting was given by the present pastor and his family, the Rev. and Mrs. E. Wilkes Skinner,Steve and Kathy, in memory of a son, James Stanley Skinner, who was called to his Heavenly Home a few months before Rev. Skinner became pastor of this church in 1967. The church had a special Bi centennial Service just after the renovation program was com pleted in 1968. tive and flourishing, and is housed in a beautiful, brick san- tuary a mile from the parent church; On July 13, 1879, Trinity’s Woman’s Foreign Missionary Society was set qp with ten members. Mrs. WilsonW. Wal drop was president The society has been known as the Women’s Society of Christian Service since 1940. A sister organization, the Wesleyan Ser vice Guild, was set up in 1951 for working girls unable to at tend regular meetings. A second church building, constructed in 1886, was dedi cated by the Rev. M.M. Brab ham in 1888, and Sunday School rooms were added about 1912. For many years the church supported a day school in a log house on the church property. A frame structure was built in 1894. This school became part of the newly-established public school system. It was moved to a new site in 1910 and merged ‘with Silverstreet School in the late ’20’s. The first automobile arrived at church and frightened the many horses and mules half to death in 1912, and the last buggy appeared in 1933. John Clarkson, son of a pas tor, organized the Epworth Lea gue among Trinity’s young peo ple in 1920. Known since 1939 as the MYF, this organization is very active today. The third sanctuary was com pleted in 1949 and dedicated Aug. 14th of the same year. An education annex was added in 1957, and a new Baldwin organ installed in 1964. Trinity completed a parson age and became a station church in 1955, with Rev. Phillip Mace Jones as pastor. The people of Trinity coope rate readily with other deno minations in Thanksgiving ser vices, Easter services, World Day of Prayer meetings, fifth Sunday night services for young people, and in other ways. Four living Methodist minis ters recall Trinity as their first church. These are the Rev. Rex Vanlyn Martin, James Henry Martin, Matthew Evans Boozer, and William Reuben Bouknight, Jr., son of a pastor. The present pastor is the Rev. James G. Mishoe. St.Phillips Lutheran Sta In August of 1881 a Lutheran Congregation called St. Phil lip’s was organized. This new congregation first worshipped in Captain Philip slights yard. Around the first of September in that same year, the St Phil lip’s congregation began their first church building near the seventh mile stone on the road leading from N ewberry to Hug hey’s ferry onBroadRiver. Mr. Romeo Halfacre built the Chu rch with the exception of the ceiling of the walls. The con gregation then numbered about 30. Serving St Phillip’s as its first officers were Rev. H. L. Wingard, Pastor, Adam Kibler, W. G. Metts, and G. L. Sease, Elders; Melvin Dickert, Monroe M. Dickert, and Melvin Wicker, deacons. The first sermon was preached in the church on Nov ember 6,1881. The Church was completed on November 5,1882. Pastors and Supply pastors from 1881-1900, Rev. N. L. Win gard, Rev. S. T. Hallman, Pro fessor J. B. Eox, Rev. John H. Wyse , Rev. J. A. Sligh, and the Rev. J. D. Bowler. On July 6, 1888 John M. Kinard, granted to St. Phillip’s Lutheran Church, a charter enabling the congregation to function as a corporation under the laws of the State of South Carolina. In October of 1900 a new past orate was organized, This past orate consisted of St. Phillip’s Bachman Chapel, and Mt. Olive. Dr. S. T. Hallman accepted a call to St. Phillip's thus re turning to again serve St Phil lips as Pastor. From Feb. 1901 to Oct 1910, St Phillip’s and Bachman Cha pel were one parish. They has for their pastor: Reverend H. P. Counts, Rev. J. C. Wessinger, Rev. H.H.E. Derrick, and Rev. J. J. Long. In 1910 a new pastorate was formed consisting to St Phil lip’s , St. Paul's and Bachman Chapel. Serv-ing this pastorate were Rev.. Sligh as pastor and Rev. Y. Von A. Riser as assistant Reverend Riser be came the regular pastor upon the retirement of Rev. Sligh. During Rev. Riser’s term as pastor, the St Phillip’s Congre gation erected a new church building in place of the old building which they removed. This church was built in 1914 and served the c<mgregation un til July 1, 1962, when St. Phil lip’s moved across the road to their present church building. Serving these three churches from 1910 to 1948 were Rev. J. A. Sligh, Rev. Y. Von A. Riser, Rev. S. P. Koon, Rev. Glenn S. Eckard, Rev. J. A. Keisler, Jr., Rev. J. Emmett Roof. In 1948, St. Phillip’s Con gregation had become a parish of its own, at the close of Rev. J. Emmett Roof ter mas Pastor. The St. Phillip’s Congregation now had a pastor all its own. From the beginning of Rev. Stucke’s pastorate in 1948, the St PhUlip’s church made a great deal of progress. In the year of 1948, the present par sonage was built, having been completed in October of that year and made debt free by the > end of the year. This parsonage is stiU heed by the pastor of our congregation today. Serv ing St. Phillip's 1948-1952 was Rev. C. H. Stucke. During the ministry of Clar ence L. Richardson, St Phil lips moved ahead to bigger goals. In July 1, 1962, St. Phil lips Lutheran Church Dedicated their present building to the glory of God. Pastors from 1952-1968, Rev. Clarence L. Richardson, and Rev. Carroll Robinson. St Phillip’s Lutheran Church is today moving forward in ser ving God's people in St Phillip’s area under the leadership of Rev. Clarence G. Walck, Jr. Pastor Walck was born in Eck- ley, Pennsylvania, graduated from Watsontown High School, Lenoir Rhyne College (hickory, N. C.) Lutheran Tbeolgoical Southern Seminary (Columbia, S. C.). Has served parishes in Hallandale, Florida andSomer- set. Pa. before coming to St Phillip’s Lutheran Church. In toe St Phillip’s Church, as in every Christian Church, toe guilding hand of Almighty God has ever been seen. St Phillip’s congregation given humble thanks to Him for having led us during the past 89 years and ask him to guide and direct us in the furture to serve St Phil lip's Community and Newberry County. * * * Silverstreet Incerperated In 1910 Silverstreet is the name of a town located seven miles west of Newberry Court House on the Columbia and Greenville branch of the Southern Railroad. No one knows just where it received its’ name. A tradition is that it was given the name Silverstreet because there were a profusion of silvery looking flowers and plants that once grew along sides of the road. Another story says that its' name came from the Indians, still another is that it may have been derived from the Latin word Silva, meaning forests. The town was incorporated in 1910. The first postmaster after the railroad came was Thomas J. Maffett, who was also a mer chant Several good churches are within the immediate com munity the oldest of which is the Lutheran and the Zion Bap tist. »,V"- Mk how the old m * m -.mm m :■* SPfLO . it;?' 4V Three hundred years ago, the Keowee River Valley was a great Cherokee trading center And you should see it now ^ Now, it’s the site of our Keowee-Toxaway Visitors Center. Where you can spy on huge nuclear reactors taking shape outside. Where you can learn the secrets of the atom. Where you can visit the past, the present, the future of power. Its an exciting building with spectacular demonstrations you can operate yourself. And dramatic display chambers filled with sight and sound. All at no charge. It’s located near the intersection of SC 183 and SC 130, north of Seneca, S.C. A shat hop from 1-85. And you're welcome anytime from 10 to 5 on weekdays, 1 to 5 on Sundays. Fa an illustrated booklet, contact any Duke Power office a write the Visitors Center, R O. Box 308, Clemson, S. C Come. Bring a picnic lunch. And see this fantastic place It’s one of the most amazing things to happerrsince 1670. Duke Power ' 1