University of South Carolina Libraries
Newberry A.R.P. Church \ v A‘- -T^t. V ■■<?■ c, - I 1 *« -It tt/xT-l >>V a •V/ll [-IV-.fc- 5 'v- si Union, and was actively asso ciated with its program daring his twenty more years of minis try in Newberry. In the year 1931, Dr. Darson married Rath Cochrane. Mrs. Carson soon became greatly beloved as Dr. Carson, and gave splendid service to the church. On Aug. 10, 1947, Dr. Carson having reached the age of re tirement, resigned, and as sumed lighter duties in a smal ler field. During Dr. Carson's ministry the officers were: El ders: R.B. Baker, J.N. Beard, Dr. H.K. Boyd, H.T. Cannon, T.C. Chalmers, J.C. Halfacre, J.H. Hunter, E.C. Jones, S.B. Jones, R.M. Kennedy, F.N. Martin, John McMeeken, Dr. George S. Mower, C.B. Parr, Sr., Boyd Robertson, and H.L. Parr. Deacons were: W.D. Beard, Ollie Brown, Ira Clamp, Gordon Clarkson, George Ma yer, Ted McDowell, A.J. Pa trick, Marcellus Renwick, an In Mi Charles Todd Bowers, Keister Willingham, and E.M. Land, Jr. While Dr. Carson was abroad from May till Sept. 1937, Paul L Sherrill, a seminary stu dent, filled the pdpit and be came very popular with the con gregation. After Dr. Carson’s resignation, the Rev. Sherrill was called to the pastorate. He and his wife, Margaret Ellis Sherrill, arrived Feb. 7, 1948. Rev. and Mrs. Sherrill helped 'much in the growth of the church 'with their understanding of the people’s problems, their faith, and their seal. A new educa tional building was begun while Rev. SberrUl was pastor. The a structure was erected upon the 'lot purchased by the Woman’s .Society, and was first used in 1949. In March 1951, Rev. Sher- •rUl resigned as pastor, and for a period, Dr. M.R. Piaxco was the Stated Supply until Dr. Paul L. Grier was installed as pas tor in April 1952. Daring these years the Sab bath Church School increased in enrollment from toe 92 mem bers reported in 1949 to toe pre sent membership of 215. So, besides toe classroom building erected in 1949 another unit was purchased and the Grier Guilding with its seven class rooms, a large fellowship space and a kitchen was dedicated on Sept. 25, 1960. Since then, two of our three buildings have been air conditioned. The Young People, under the direction of toe late Miss Ber tha Gray Gallman initiated and supported two chapels in Me xico, one at Antique Morales, and one at Las Flores. These chapels are still being support ed by conyributlous from mem bers of our church. Dr. P.L. Grier retired in Oc tober 1963, and he and Mrs. Grier moved to Laurens to take care of Mrs. Grier’s aunt. W.W. Boyce was Stated Supply until toe Rev. E.L. Bland pastor on Jane 15, 1964, and was Installed on Aug. 23rd. The membership at that time num bered 258 with 237 being consi dered as active. At this writing. May 1970, toe membership is 293 with 263 being active. With recent increases in membership the Newberry Con gregation realises toe pending necessity of a new sanctuary. The presentone is over 60 years old. However, ton congregation has temporarily laid aside building plans to participate in the Cenominational Com prehensive Capital Funds Cam paign of 1968 to which toe peo ple pledged 140% of the local goal. Elders added since 1950 are: Dr. R.P. Baker, W.D. Beard, W.C. Brown, LL. Clamp, G.N. Clarkson, A.N. Crosson, J.W. Ringer, Sr., L.H. Seasa, W.E. Shealy, A.W. Williamson, and J.K. Wi . Since foilowiag toe rotary system for Deacons, toe foi lowiag have served daring this period as Deacons: Y.L. Beden- bangh, R.S. Boesman,R.G. Soo ner, R.V. Booser, J.A. Brown, O.K. Brown, H.T. Cannon, Jr., E.B. Carlisle, J.G. Clamp, C. B. Cromer, T.L Cromer, W. D. Cromer, L.L. Davenport, H.T. Fellers, D.P. Folk, H.W. Hamilton, J.R. Lominick, Sr., E. W. McCullough, David B. Parr, H.L. Parr, R.C. Price, C. T. Renwick, GJ. Renwidk, R.M Renwick, J.W. Ringer, Jr., M.L. Ringer, W.C. Ruff, C.P. Summer, Jr., C.W. Summer, T. Roy Sommer, Jr. and R.W. Ep- Hng The Congregations remains faithful to all activities of the denomination and to the will of God as it ministers to its own people and to the community. i-.V The Newberry Associate Re formed Presbyterian Church came into being in the middle of the nineteenth century as Thompson St. A.R.P. Church. The first building was a little white frame with a steeple, and Dr. William McMorris, Dr. Thomas W. Thompson, and Prof. William Hood were the ruling elders. From 1853 through the war years the Rev. H.L. Murphy served as pastor in connection with the Kings Creek A.R.P. Church. At the conclusion of the war, condi tions were very discouraging, and Rev. Murphy resigned the pastorate. Dr. W.M. Grier la bored as supply pastor for a year, then in 1870, Rev. E.P. McClintock began his fruitful ministry as pastor of Kings Creek and Thompson Street A. R. P. Churches, and continued in this capacity for 12 years. Then he found it necessary to relinquish the pastorate of Kings Creek and devote his full time to the Newberry Church. At this time the church was well organised. The elders were M.A. Carlisle, James F. Todd, George S, Mower, John C. Wil son, and C.F. Boyd. The dea cons were Edwin Carlisle, E. C. Jqpes, S.B. Jones and F.H. toe ehorch was organi sed, it had only as many mem bers as the average natural family - nine. But by 1903 it had grown into a church fa mily of one hundred and twenty members. to 1906, Dr. E.P. McClintock, now sixty-eight years of age, resigned as pastor, but his wife, Elizabeth Jane Young Mc Clintock, continued her conse crated activity in church work through the Woman’s Society. Their daughters, Euphemia and Mary Law, became presidents of girls’ colleges. On November 11, 1906, Rev. D.G. Phillips assumed his du ties of pastor of the church. His wife, Jane Wideman Phil lips, and he had seven children at that time. The twenty-three members of the Ladies’ Missionary Society realized that they were out growing their little white church home on Thompson Street. They established a church building fund to augment the $2,0'i0 re ceived from the sale of the church lot. However, the buyer agreed that he would not take possession until a new church home was ready for occupancy. The building fund grew to 54,000. Then came FIRE! This holocaust occurred on March 28, 1907. It swept away the church and a large part of the town. Now, a new church was a necessity. The Young People’s Society rose to the emergency by raising funds to pure and comparatively imposing structure of toe sanctuary’ ready for Synod onNovember 5, 1908, and It was dedicated the following year, (to May 23,1909, Dr. Phillips resigned the pas torate to accept a call tendered him by the Chester A.R.P. Church. Not until October 1,1910, did the church have a pastor. Then, the Rev. J.W. Carson and his wife, Nanie Crawford Carson, came to Newberry. Dr. Carson began his long and vigorous ministry, and he and Mrs. Car- son endeared themselves to the congregation. Mrs. Carson worked along with her husband, and soon was active in all phases of church life, ef fectively grading the Sabbath School and organizing a Junior Missionary Society. She was a self giving Christian, and in her passing, the church lost an able worker, and a devoted friend. While Dr. Carson journeyed to the Holy Land, his pastorate was under the capable care of the Rev. Charles H. Nabors. He and his wife resided in the manse the Carson’s had vaca ted. This manse was generously provided by Dr. George S. Mo wer until the church was able to build one adjacent to the church in the year 1918. Synod re:ogfi>Ml he ability of Dr. Carson as an executive administrator, so in 1925 it ap pointed him field secretary. Dr. A.J. Ranson, Jqgt returned from Ranson became President of Bryson College, and Dr. Carson had completed his assignment for Synod, Dr. Carson once a- gain resumed his labors in the Newberry Church. He organized toe Young People’* Christian Mf. Olivet Lutheran Organized In O’Neal Academy In 1882 a Sunday School was organized in the O’Neal Aca demy. This was in effect, the origin of ML Olivet Lutheran Church. The Sunday School was organized and conducted by Mrs. Jane A. Long with Mr. W.C. Derrick as Superintend ent For several years the Sunday School was the nucleus around which the group gathered but in 1884 and 1885 interest deep ened which resulted in worship and preaching services in addit ion to the Sunday School. These services of worship were pro vided by the nearby pastors. Interest remained high ind prospects were favorable for toe organization of a congre gation. This was effected under tbs leadership of the Rev. C.A. Marks, who was then serving Grace Lutheran Church, Pros perity, South Carolina, in the year 1888with 17 Charter Mem bers. Shortly after the official or ganization of the church, Mrs. Anna Marcella Casern gave land for a site and from the mem bership came gifts of lumber, labor and cash. The present church was constructed and dedicated in 1890. The Small but dedicated membership remained loyal, however, the growth was slow. In 1923 the congregation pur chased the old school property. The Baptized Membership of the congregation by the year 1924 was over 160, and growing. In 1929 the congregation by the year 1924 was over 160, and growing. In 1929 the construct ion of Lake Murray backed water over portions of land in the area which necessitated relocation of many families connected with ML OllveLThis in turn left but few to carry on and maintain an active organi zation. to 1968, under the lead ership of the supply pastor the Rev. William H. Link, various NEWS-SUN-CITIZEN TRICENTENNIAL EDITION Newberry County, S. C., November 12, 1270 items of a liturgical nature were added to up date the in terior of the church edifice. * * * Town Of Peak Began In 1850 Peak got its start about 1850 when the Columbia and Green ville railroad was builL Mr. H.T. Peak was the first Super- intendant of the railroad and aided in building the first bridge across Broad River from Alston- The town received its name from him. Before the building of the railroad this section was in habited by many early pioneeer families, many of whose des- cendents are still to be found in this area. Some of the early names were, Mayer, Hope, Hobbs, Eichelberger, Swygert, Stoudemire and Chapman. Peak is a closely knit com munity where good relations exisL T#/ ( * : A J V J » *4fti rv'-f'Yah 1670-1970 Welcome You... Historic Whitmire Newberry County We Extend Best Wishes To South Carolina On Her 300th Birthday Town Whitmire,