The sun. [volume] (Newberry, S.C.) 1937-1972, November 12, 1970, Image 13
v.v-.
“ v . j ^-. ; - :«i
w m i
Trinity United Methodist Church
Formed By Merger In 1830’s
Trinity United Methodist
Church stands in a pleasant ru
ral setting, amid broad, rolling
lawns and groves of trees, about
eight miles west of Newberry,
S.C. The brick sanctuary, beau
tiful in its simplicity, is the
third house of worship to serve
this church, which was formed
by the merger of three older
churches in the 1830’s . The
name of Trinity, therefore, is
quite appropriate.
Trinity’s beginnings lay in the
arrival of Methodist pioneers
from Virginia and in the self-
sacrificial labors of devoted lo
cal preachers during the Ame
rican Revolution, or soon after
ward. James Foster, a Virgi
nian, preached in what is now
Newberry County prior to 1783.
Settlers who heard Foster
preach wrote to Methodist lead
ers in Baltimore and asked for
more preachers. To young Bis
hop Francis Asbury these
appeals for help were like the
Macedonian vision of St. Paul.
Burring southward, Asbury or
ganized the new work and set
up the Broad River Circuit, in
cluding what is now Newberry
County, with William Partridge
as pastor. In 1789 Newberry
County became part of the gi
gantic Bush River Circuit,
which reached to the Savannah
River, with William Gassaway
as pastor, or Circuit Rider. The
or Ciuiiit r
rode Ihr^rl
snow, swam swollen rivers, en
dured harrassment by rowdies,-
and were often endangered by
wilderness bandits. It took
weeks to make the rounds of the
huge circuits of those days,
when ministers were scarce.
Extreme hardship and exposure
to the weather caused most of
the circuit riders to die in their
thirties. Only the aid of many
devoted class leaders and local
ministers helped keep the work
alive.
One of the early local minis
ters was a brilliant, young
Scotch physician, Dr. Meredith
William Moon, who served many
congregations while attending to
his extensive medical practice.
One of these congregations or
ganized and established Moon’s
Meeting House, near Old Town,
in the 1790’s.
In 1800 the Rev. Jeremiah
Russell preached in a Quaker
log church, White Lick Meeting
House, near Higgins Ferry, on
Saluda River, and organized
Shady Grove Church, which was
set up on land secured from the
Stewart Family, about two miles
west of the present Silver street.
Daniel Stewart was a leader of
this church.
In 1812, under the ministry
of John S. Capers and Allen
Turner, Kadesh Church was
founded. It was set up on land
secured from William Plum-
kett, on the Belfast road, about
seven miles west of Newberry.
The Gilder and Cromer fami
lies were the principal leaders.
George Cromer could be heard
praying about three miles, and
some said more. Col. James S.
Mosley Gilder taught school in
the church many years. Indeed,
all these three pioneer churches
were centers of education.
In 1820, when the Newberry
Circuit was set up, with Cole
man Carlisle as pastor, the
L early churches w
VAXJf-
wious declined* Si as:
pecple moved in ftrge numbers
to new lands in the southwest,
or to the Ohi country.
In 1830 the Rev. David Der
rick began a determined effort
to revive the Lord’s work in
Newberry County. A revival be
gan slowly and gained mo
mentum. It spread to other de
nominations and lasted several
years. Th? first churches in
Newberry Village were set up,
and efforts began to consoli
date several small rural
churches. In 1835, under the
ministry of Henry W. Ledbetter
and William C. Ferrell, several
years of effort bore fruit in the
unior of Kadesh and Moon’s
Meeting House and their estab
lishment as a new church on
land secured from David M.
Waters; this was near the Le
wis Spring, in the area between
the forks of Beaverdam Creek.
Since efforts at further conso
lidation were still proceeding,
the future name of the new
church was uncertain. When the
deed was drawn up, the spaces
allotted for the name of the
church were left blank; they are
still blank today. The name Ka
desh was used temporarily.
However, two or three years
later, after Shady Grove joined
the combination, the name of
Trinity came into use.
Most of the people of Tri
nity were poor and had few or no
slaves. However, the servants
of some wealthy neighbors at
tended Trinity, and there was s
considerable colored membersh
considerable colored member-
held for the instruction of the
Ne^ro members.
For a long time Sunday School
was held only in summer, due
to poor heating facilities. In
1847, after a stove was secured,
the Sunday School was set up on
a permanent basis. The first
organ replaced the old-fashion
ed tuning fork in 1892, The
ryjfasstai
167. Horse-drawn hearses re
placed farm wagons at funerals
in 1890.
The War Between the States
brought much sorrow andhard-
ship to the congregation. La
dies met the trains at Silver-
street and fed the wounded sol
diers aboard. Severe impove
rishment followed the war. A-
bout two years later the colored
brethren went out and founded
their own church, Trinity A.M.
E. Church; it exists today, ac-
Enoree Baptist Church Over 200
Enoree Baptist Church was or
ganized in 1768--202 years ago.
It was a branch of Fairforest
Baptist Church on BroadRiver.
It is believed that the members
worshipped in a tent until 1771.
At this time, a log building was
built to the left of the present
building, which is located on
Highway 176, near Keitt’s Cross
Roads. It emerged from the ob
scurity ofthe Revolution in 1790.
A new house of worship was
built in 1822.
In 1859, the present church
building was erected, and the
name of the church was changed
to Enoree. Prior to this time,
it was known as Bauskett’s Chu
rch.
The present church property
was given by Thomas Bauskett
Wadlington. The deed was re
corded September 2, 1881. Mr.
Wadlington was one of the first
settlers in this section. He set
tied here in 1767, and married a
Sandley. His sister married El
lison Keitt, the sage of Enoree.
The church cemetery, which
is located to the right and rear
of the present church building
has some very old graves in it
Some of the graves are the
old, covered type with the four
cement walls holding the slab
of cement over the top of the
grave. Some have the name and
epitaph inscribed on the top slab
of cement, andother shave it on
a small marker, which stands on
top of this cover. There are ap
proximately 171 graves in this
cemetery, 44 of which are,
either no marked,or not legible.
The oldest marked grave in this
cemetery was marked 1810.
There is a small cemetery,
with only six graves, located to
the left of the present church
building, which was probably to
the rear of the first church
building. This cemetery is
known as the Wadlington Ceme
tery.
The present church building
was remodeled in 1949. At this
time, the gallery, used in the
earlier years for slaves, was
closed off. This space has been
used for class rooms since
1956. In 1963, an educational
building was added to the left
of the church building. Just to
the left of this building, an old
rock still stands which was used
in the earlier years for the la
dies to mount their horses.
In 1968, the church building
was again renovated, nr^ng
some of the most major changes
in the appearance of the sanc
tuary in its history. At this time,
the church installed new furni
ture. There is no record of how
long the old, handmade furniture
had been used, but the chairs on
the pulpit were made in 1872.
Other major changes at this
time included making one cent
er isle, instead of the two that
had previously been used, in
stalling a heat and air system,
and also wall-to-wall carpet A
baptistry was added to the rear
of the sanctuary, which replaced
the one located under the floor
of the pulpit. A beautiful bap
tistry painting was dedicated on
March 29, 1970. This painting
was given by the present pastor
and his family, the Rev. and
Mrs. E. Wilkes Skinner,Steve
and Kathy, in memory of a son,
James Stanley Skinner, who was
called to his Heavenly Home a
few months before Rev. Skinner
became pastor of this church in
1967.
The church had a special Bi
centennial Service just after the
renovation program was com
pleted in 1968.
tive and flourishing, and is
housed in a beautiful, brick san-
tuary a mile from the parent
church;
On July 13, 1879, Trinity’s
Woman’s Foreign Missionary
Society was set qp with ten
members. Mrs. WilsonW. Wal
drop was president The
society has been known as the
Women’s Society of Christian
Service since 1940. A sister
organization, the Wesleyan Ser
vice Guild, was set up in 1951
for working girls unable to at
tend regular meetings.
A second church building,
constructed in 1886, was dedi
cated by the Rev. M.M. Brab
ham in 1888, and Sunday School
rooms were added about 1912.
For many years the church
supported a day school in a log
house on the church property.
A frame structure was built in
1894. This school became part
of the newly-established public
school system. It was moved to
a new site in 1910 and merged
‘with Silverstreet School in the
late ’20’s.
The first automobile arrived
at church and frightened the
many horses and mules half to
death in 1912, and the last buggy
appeared in 1933.
John Clarkson, son of a pas
tor, organized the Epworth Lea
gue among Trinity’s young peo
ple in 1920. Known since 1939
as the MYF, this organization
is very active today.
The third sanctuary was com
pleted in 1949 and dedicated
Aug. 14th of the same year. An
education annex was added in
1957, and a new Baldwin organ
installed in 1964.
Trinity completed a parson
age and became a station church
in 1955, with Rev. Phillip Mace
Jones as pastor.
The people of Trinity coope
rate readily with other deno
minations in Thanksgiving ser
vices, Easter services, World
Day of Prayer meetings, fifth
Sunday night services for young
people, and in other ways.
Four living Methodist minis
ters recall Trinity as their first
church. These are the Rev. Rex
Vanlyn Martin, James Henry
Martin, Matthew Evans Boozer,
and William Reuben Bouknight,
Jr., son of a pastor.
The present pastor is the Rev.
James G. Mishoe.
St.Phillips Lutheran Sta
In August of 1881 a Lutheran
Congregation called St. Phil
lip’s was organized. This new
congregation first worshipped
in Captain Philip slights yard.
Around the first of September
in that same year, the St Phil
lip’s congregation began their
first church building near the
seventh mile stone on the road
leading from N ewberry to Hug
hey’s ferry onBroadRiver. Mr.
Romeo Halfacre built the Chu
rch with the exception of the
ceiling of the walls. The con
gregation then numbered about
30.
Serving St Phillip’s as its
first officers were Rev. H. L.
Wingard, Pastor, Adam Kibler,
W. G. Metts, and G. L. Sease,
Elders; Melvin Dickert, Monroe
M. Dickert, and Melvin Wicker,
deacons. The first sermon was
preached in the church on Nov
ember 6,1881. The Church was
completed on November 5,1882.
Pastors and Supply pastors
from 1881-1900, Rev. N. L. Win
gard, Rev. S. T. Hallman, Pro
fessor J. B. Eox, Rev. John H.
Wyse , Rev. J. A. Sligh, and the
Rev. J. D. Bowler.
On July 6, 1888 John M.
Kinard, granted to St. Phillip’s
Lutheran Church, a charter
enabling the congregation to
function as a corporation under
the laws of the State of South
Carolina.
In October of 1900 a new past
orate was organized, This past
orate consisted of St. Phillip’s
Bachman Chapel, and Mt. Olive.
Dr. S. T. Hallman accepted a
call to St. Phillip's thus re
turning to again serve St Phil
lips as Pastor.
From Feb. 1901 to Oct 1910,
St Phillip’s and Bachman Cha
pel were one parish. They has
for their pastor: Reverend H. P.
Counts, Rev. J. C. Wessinger,
Rev. H.H.E. Derrick, and Rev.
J. J. Long.
In 1910 a new pastorate was
formed consisting to St Phil
lip’s , St. Paul's and Bachman
Chapel. Serv-ing this pastorate
were Rev.. Sligh as pastor
and Rev. Y. Von A. Riser as
assistant Reverend Riser be
came the regular pastor upon
the retirement of Rev. Sligh.
During Rev. Riser’s term as
pastor, the St Phillip’s Congre
gation erected a new church
building in place of the old
building which they removed.
This church was built in 1914
and served the c<mgregation un
til July 1, 1962, when St. Phil
lip’s moved across the road to
their present church building.
Serving these three churches
from 1910 to 1948 were Rev. J.
A. Sligh, Rev. Y. Von A. Riser,
Rev. S. P. Koon, Rev. Glenn S.
Eckard, Rev. J. A. Keisler, Jr.,
Rev. J. Emmett Roof.
In 1948, St. Phillip’s Con
gregation had become a parish
of its own, at the close of Rev.
J. Emmett Roof ter mas Pastor.
The St. Phillip’s Congregation
now had a pastor all its own.
From the beginning of Rev.
Stucke’s pastorate in 1948, the
St PhUlip’s church made a
great deal of progress. In the
year of 1948, the present par
sonage was built, having been
completed in October of that
year and made debt free by the
> end of the year. This parsonage
is stiU heed by the pastor of
our congregation today. Serv
ing St. Phillip's 1948-1952 was
Rev. C. H. Stucke.
During the ministry of Clar
ence L. Richardson, St Phil
lips moved ahead to bigger
goals. In July 1, 1962, St. Phil
lips Lutheran Church Dedicated
their present building to the
glory of God.
Pastors from 1952-1968, Rev.
Clarence L. Richardson, and
Rev. Carroll Robinson.
St Phillip’s Lutheran Church
is today moving forward in ser
ving God's people in St Phillip’s
area under the leadership of
Rev. Clarence G. Walck, Jr.
Pastor Walck was born in Eck-
ley, Pennsylvania, graduated
from Watsontown High School,
Lenoir Rhyne College (hickory,
N. C.) Lutheran Tbeolgoical
Southern Seminary (Columbia,
S. C.). Has served parishes in
Hallandale, Florida andSomer-
set. Pa. before coming to St
Phillip’s Lutheran Church.
In toe St Phillip’s Church, as
in every Christian Church, toe
guilding hand of Almighty God
has ever been seen. St Phillip’s
congregation given humble
thanks to Him for having led
us during the past 89 years and
ask him to guide and direct us
in the furture to serve St Phil
lip's Community and Newberry
County.
* * *
Silverstreet
Incerperated
In 1910
Silverstreet is the name of a
town located seven miles west of
Newberry Court House on the
Columbia and Greenville branch
of the Southern Railroad.
No one knows just where it
received its’ name. A tradition
is that it was given the name
Silverstreet because there were
a profusion of silvery looking
flowers and plants that once
grew along sides of the road.
Another story says that its'
name came from the Indians,
still another is that it may have
been derived from the Latin
word Silva, meaning forests.
The town was incorporated in
1910. The first postmaster after
the railroad came was Thomas
J. Maffett, who was also a mer
chant
Several good churches are
within the immediate com
munity the oldest of which is
the Lutheran and the Zion Bap
tist.
»,V"-
Mk how the old
m * m -.mm m :■*
SPfLO .
it;?'
4V
Three hundred years
ago, the Keowee
River Valley was a
great Cherokee
trading center
And you should
see it now ^
Now, it’s the site of
our Keowee-Toxaway
Visitors Center.
Where you can spy on huge nuclear reactors taking
shape outside. Where you can learn the secrets of the
atom. Where you can visit the past, the present, the future
of power.
Its an exciting building with spectacular demonstrations
you can operate yourself. And dramatic display chambers
filled with sight and sound. All at no charge.
It’s located near the intersection of SC 183 and SC 130,
north of Seneca, S.C. A shat hop from 1-85. And you're
welcome anytime from 10 to 5 on weekdays, 1 to 5 on
Sundays. Fa an illustrated booklet, contact any Duke Power
office a write the Visitors Center, R O. Box 308,
Clemson, S. C
Come. Bring a picnic lunch. And see this fantastic place
It’s one of the most amazing things to happerrsince 1670.
Duke Power
' 1