The sun. [volume] (Newberry, S.C.) 1937-1972, November 12, 1970, Image 12
Newberry A.R.P. Church
\
v
A‘-
-T^t.
V
■■<?■
c, -
I 1 *«
-It
tt/xT-l
>>V
a
•V/ll
[-IV-.fc-
5
'v-
si
Union, and was actively asso
ciated with its program daring
his twenty more years of minis
try in Newberry.
In the year 1931, Dr. Darson
married Rath Cochrane. Mrs.
Carson soon became greatly
beloved as Dr. Carson, and gave
splendid service to the church.
On Aug. 10, 1947, Dr. Carson
having reached the age of re
tirement, resigned, and as
sumed lighter duties in a smal
ler field. During Dr. Carson's
ministry the officers were: El
ders: R.B. Baker, J.N. Beard,
Dr. H.K. Boyd, H.T. Cannon,
T.C. Chalmers, J.C. Halfacre,
J.H. Hunter, E.C. Jones, S.B.
Jones, R.M. Kennedy, F.N.
Martin, John McMeeken, Dr.
George S. Mower, C.B. Parr,
Sr., Boyd Robertson, and H.L.
Parr. Deacons were: W.D.
Beard, Ollie Brown, Ira Clamp,
Gordon Clarkson, George Ma
yer, Ted McDowell, A.J. Pa
trick, Marcellus Renwick,
an In Mi
Charles Todd Bowers, Keister
Willingham, and E.M. Land, Jr.
While Dr. Carson was abroad
from May till Sept. 1937, Paul
L Sherrill, a seminary stu
dent, filled the pdpit and be
came very popular with the con
gregation. After Dr. Carson’s
resignation, the Rev. Sherrill
was called to the pastorate. He
and his wife, Margaret Ellis
Sherrill, arrived Feb. 7, 1948.
Rev. and Mrs. Sherrill helped
'much in the growth of the church
'with their understanding of the
people’s problems, their faith,
and their seal. A new educa
tional building was begun while
Rev. SberrUl was pastor. The
a structure was erected upon the
'lot purchased by the Woman’s
.Society, and was first used in
1949. In March 1951, Rev. Sher-
•rUl resigned as pastor, and for
a period, Dr. M.R. Piaxco was
the Stated Supply until Dr. Paul
L. Grier was installed as pas
tor in April 1952.
Daring these years the Sab
bath Church School increased in
enrollment from toe 92 mem
bers reported in 1949 to toe pre
sent membership of 215. So,
besides toe classroom building
erected in 1949 another unit
was purchased and the Grier
Guilding with its seven class
rooms, a large fellowship space
and a kitchen was dedicated on
Sept. 25, 1960. Since then, two
of our three buildings have been
air conditioned.
The Young People, under the
direction of toe late Miss Ber
tha Gray Gallman initiated and
supported two chapels in Me
xico, one at Antique Morales,
and one at Las Flores. These
chapels are still being support
ed by conyributlous from mem
bers of our church.
Dr. P.L. Grier retired in Oc
tober 1963, and he and Mrs.
Grier moved to Laurens to take
care of Mrs. Grier’s aunt. W.W.
Boyce was Stated Supply until
toe Rev. E.L. Bland
pastor on Jane 15, 1964, and was
Installed on Aug. 23rd. The
membership at that time num
bered 258 with 237 being consi
dered as active. At this writing.
May 1970, toe membership is
293 with 263 being active.
With recent increases in
membership the Newberry Con
gregation realises toe pending
necessity of a new sanctuary.
The presentone is over 60 years
old. However, ton congregation
has temporarily laid aside
building plans to participate in
the Cenominational Com
prehensive Capital Funds Cam
paign of 1968 to which toe peo
ple pledged 140% of the local
goal.
Elders added since 1950 are:
Dr. R.P. Baker, W.D. Beard,
W.C. Brown, LL. Clamp, G.N.
Clarkson, A.N. Crosson, J.W.
Ringer, Sr., L.H. Seasa, W.E.
Shealy, A.W. Williamson, and
J.K. Wi .
Since foilowiag toe rotary
system for Deacons, toe foi
lowiag have served daring this
period as Deacons: Y.L. Beden-
bangh, R.S. Boesman,R.G. Soo
ner, R.V. Booser, J.A. Brown,
O.K. Brown, H.T. Cannon, Jr.,
E.B. Carlisle, J.G. Clamp, C.
B. Cromer, T.L Cromer, W.
D. Cromer, L.L. Davenport,
H.T. Fellers, D.P. Folk, H.W.
Hamilton, J.R. Lominick, Sr.,
E. W. McCullough, David B.
Parr, H.L. Parr, R.C. Price,
C. T. Renwick, GJ. Renwidk,
R.M Renwick, J.W. Ringer, Jr.,
M.L. Ringer, W.C. Ruff, C.P.
Summer, Jr., C.W. Summer, T.
Roy Sommer, Jr. and R.W. Ep-
Hng
The Congregations remains
faithful to all activities of the
denomination and to the will of
God as it ministers to its own
people and to the community.
i-.V
The Newberry Associate Re
formed Presbyterian Church
came into being in the middle
of the nineteenth century as
Thompson St. A.R.P. Church.
The first building was a little
white frame with a steeple, and
Dr. William McMorris, Dr.
Thomas W. Thompson, and
Prof. William Hood were the
ruling elders. From 1853
through the war years the Rev.
H.L. Murphy served as pastor
in connection with the Kings
Creek A.R.P. Church. At the
conclusion of the war, condi
tions were very discouraging,
and Rev. Murphy resigned the
pastorate. Dr. W.M. Grier la
bored as supply pastor for a
year, then in 1870, Rev. E.P.
McClintock began his fruitful
ministry as pastor of Kings
Creek and Thompson Street A.
R. P. Churches, and continued
in this capacity for 12 years.
Then he found it necessary to
relinquish the pastorate of
Kings Creek and devote his full
time to the Newberry Church.
At this time the church was
well organised. The elders were
M.A. Carlisle, James F. Todd,
George S, Mower, John C. Wil
son, and C.F. Boyd. The dea
cons were Edwin Carlisle, E.
C. Jqpes, S.B. Jones and F.H.
toe ehorch was organi
sed, it had only as many mem
bers as the average natural
family - nine. But by 1903
it had grown into a church fa
mily of one hundred and twenty
members.
to 1906, Dr. E.P. McClintock,
now sixty-eight years of age,
resigned as pastor, but his
wife, Elizabeth Jane Young Mc
Clintock, continued her conse
crated activity in church work
through the Woman’s Society.
Their daughters, Euphemia and
Mary Law, became presidents
of girls’ colleges.
On November 11, 1906, Rev.
D.G. Phillips assumed his du
ties of pastor of the church.
His wife, Jane Wideman Phil
lips, and he had seven children
at that time.
The twenty-three members of
the Ladies’ Missionary Society
realized that they were out
growing their little white church
home on Thompson Street. They
established a church building
fund to augment the $2,0'i0 re
ceived from the sale of the
church lot. However, the buyer
agreed that he would not take
possession until a new church
home was ready for occupancy.
The building fund grew to
54,000. Then came FIRE! This
holocaust occurred on March
28, 1907. It swept away the
church and a large part of the
town.
Now, a new church was a
necessity. The Young People’s
Society rose to the emergency
by raising funds to pure
and
comparatively imposing
structure of toe sanctuary’
ready for Synod onNovember 5,
1908, and It was dedicated the
following year, (to May 23,1909,
Dr. Phillips resigned the pas
torate to accept a call tendered
him by the Chester A.R.P.
Church.
Not until October 1,1910, did
the church have a pastor. Then,
the Rev. J.W. Carson and his
wife, Nanie Crawford Carson,
came to Newberry. Dr. Carson
began his long and vigorous
ministry, and he and Mrs. Car-
son endeared themselves to the
congregation. Mrs. Carson
worked along with her husband,
and soon was active in all
phases of church life, ef
fectively grading the Sabbath
School and organizing a Junior
Missionary Society. She was a
self giving Christian, and in
her passing, the church lost an
able worker, and a devoted
friend.
While Dr. Carson journeyed
to the Holy Land, his pastorate
was under the capable care of
the Rev. Charles H. Nabors.
He and his wife resided in the
manse the Carson’s had vaca
ted. This manse was generously
provided by Dr. George S. Mo
wer until the church was able
to build one adjacent to the
church in the year 1918.
Synod re:ogfi>Ml he ability
of Dr. Carson as an executive
administrator, so in 1925 it ap
pointed him field secretary. Dr.
A.J. Ranson, Jqgt returned from
Ranson became President of
Bryson College, and Dr. Carson
had completed his assignment
for Synod, Dr. Carson once a-
gain resumed his labors in the
Newberry Church. He organized
toe Young People’* Christian
Mf. Olivet Lutheran Organized
In O’Neal Academy
In 1882 a Sunday School was
organized in the O’Neal Aca
demy. This was in effect, the
origin of ML Olivet Lutheran
Church. The Sunday School was
organized and conducted by
Mrs. Jane A. Long with Mr.
W.C. Derrick as Superintend
ent
For several years the Sunday
School was the nucleus around
which the group gathered but
in 1884 and 1885 interest deep
ened which resulted in worship
and preaching services in addit
ion to the Sunday School. These
services of worship were pro
vided by the nearby pastors.
Interest remained high ind
prospects were favorable for
toe organization of a congre
gation. This was effected under
tbs leadership of the Rev. C.A.
Marks, who was then serving
Grace Lutheran Church, Pros
perity, South Carolina, in the
year 1888with 17 Charter Mem
bers.
Shortly after the official or
ganization of the church, Mrs.
Anna Marcella Casern gave land
for a site and from the mem
bership came gifts of lumber,
labor and cash. The present
church was constructed and
dedicated in 1890.
The Small but dedicated
membership remained loyal,
however, the growth was slow.
In 1923 the congregation pur
chased the old school property.
The Baptized Membership of the
congregation by the year 1924
was over 160, and growing. In
1929 the congregation by the
year 1924 was over 160, and
growing. In 1929 the construct
ion of Lake Murray backed
water over portions of land
in the area which necessitated
relocation of many families
connected with ML OllveLThis
in turn left but few to carry on
and maintain an active organi
zation. to 1968, under the lead
ership of the supply pastor the
Rev. William H. Link, various
NEWS-SUN-CITIZEN TRICENTENNIAL EDITION
Newberry County, S. C., November 12, 1270
items of a liturgical nature
were added to up date the in
terior of the church edifice.
* * *
Town Of Peak
Began In 1850
Peak got its start about 1850
when the Columbia and Green
ville railroad was builL Mr.
H.T. Peak was the first Super-
intendant of the railroad and
aided in building the first bridge
across Broad River from Alston-
The town received its name
from him.
Before the building of the
railroad this section was in
habited by many early pioneeer
families, many of whose des-
cendents are still to be found
in this area. Some of the early
names were, Mayer, Hope,
Hobbs, Eichelberger, Swygert,
Stoudemire and Chapman.
Peak is a closely knit com
munity where good relations
exisL
T#/ (
*
: A
J V J »
*4fti
rv'-f'Yah
1670-1970
Welcome You...
Historic Whitmire
Newberry County
We Extend Best Wishes To
South Carolina On Her
300th Birthday
Town
Whitmire,