University of South Carolina Libraries
V ’yv" -v rmm -jWJ ■ -■ lawHsa?; js; SECTION m, PAGE TWO THE NEWBERKY SUN THURSDAY, APRIL 26, The Newberry College Players The Newberry College Players were organized to create interest in dramatics, and to give the stu dents a chance to show their abilities and talents, by produc ing two or three plays a year- All students are eligible for member ship, provided they are doing sat isfactory work in their studies. Euterpean Music Club The Euterpean Music Club is one of the oldest organizations on the campms. The object of the club is to create interest in and foster familiarity with music. Students who are interested in music and are recommended by a member of the club are consid ered for membership. SCOUT PROMOTIONS Pope Buford, Troop 222 from Star to Life Scout. ) Merit Badges Troop 1: Tommy Lewis, basket ry, bookbinding. Troop 66: Fuller Campbell, Citizenship in the Community; Stuart MacBeth, Firemanship; Judge Vatughan, Athletics, camp ing, electricity, fishing, forestry, home repairs, personal fitness. Troop 222: Pope Buford, citi zenship in the community; cook ing, forestry; David Shealy, Citi zenship in the Home. 1856 @11956 COLLEGE For PROMPT SERVICE By Trained Repairmen JUST TELEPHONE Telephon* 311 GEO. N. MARTIN Radio and Television SALES and SERVICE 1309 MAIN STREET Newberry, 8. C. 24 HOUR SERVICE Administrative Staff Left to right, seated: Miss Carolyn Cromer, associate librarian; Miss Mary Estelle Timberlake, A.M., Librarian. Standing, B. Osborne Long, A.B., business manager and treasurer; Dr. Conrad B. Park, Academic Dean; R. Wright Cannon, A.B., executive sec retary, Pre-Centennial Building and Endowment Fund Campaign; L. Clifton Graham, A.B., Director of Public Relations; James C. Abrams, M.Ed., Registrar. HISTORY OF NEWBERRY COLLEGE (Continued from page 1) to resume the practice of law in Newberry. He was succeeded by the Rev. James A. B. Scherer, Ph D.,LL.D., who directed !t h e college through steady progress until his resignation in 1908. In 1907 Andrew Carnegie offered the college $10,000 for a new build ing on the condition that the col lege raise an equal amount. With in five hours the total amount was secured within Newberry county. Carnegie hall housed the technological department until 1917, when engineering courses were discontinued so that the col lege might concentrate all its resources upon the development of its traditional liberal arts pro gram. Graduates were sent out to achieve places of prominence in these technical fields. The Rev. J. Henry Harms, D.D., succeeded Dr. Scherer. He served until 1918, increasing endowment of the institution and the pres tige of the college in many fields. When - Dr. Harms resigned in 1918, the Board of Trustees turn ed to the faculty for his succes sor and elected Dr. Sidney J. Der rick. During his administration the citizens of Newberry again made liberal donations to help build the gymnasium in 1923, now named MacLean gymnasium, and a men’s dormitory in 1924, now named Derrick hall. In 1928-1929, Summerland col lege, a Lutheran institution for women located at Leesville, be came a part of Newberry college. All records, students and equip ment were transferred to the campus at Newberry college. After a progressive adminis tration Dr Derrick resigned in 1930 to resume his place on the faculty as'Professor of History. The much beloved professor died June 13, 1948. James C. Kinard, Litt. D.,LL.D. who had been a member of the exr faculty since 1916, succeeded Dr. Derrick. In 1936 the college was admitted to full membership in the Southern Association of Col leges and Secondary schools and has continued to maintain its high academic standing. During 1943-45 through the Navy V-12 program the College trained more than 1000 men from all over the country. After the war, many of these men returned to Newberry to complete the college education. In 1944, the citizens of Newber ry built and equipped Wright Recreation Hall for the use of the faculty and students in the navy V-12 program. It was named in honor of Z. F. Wright, LL.D., of Newberry a prominent alumnus of the college and a member of the Board of Trustees. The administration of Presid ent James C. Kinard was out standing .in many aspects. The (Continued on page 3) Congratulating 1856 1956 COLLEGE On 100 Years of Progress Newton Tire & Recapping Company 914 Main St Newberry, S. C. Phone 237 —! Our Very Best '"■v v*' IS I 1956 frV- COLLEGE Wishes - - - For a M Great Centennial Celebration For NEWBERRY COLLEGE \ While you are in town for the celebration, we invite you to come in and see our com plete line of DODGE and PLY MOUTH automobiles and Gen eral Electric Appliances. m ihjM Ipjl 1956 COLLEGE SMITH MOTOR COMPANY 1309 College St Telephones 777 & 172 Newberry, S. C. —' WE JOIN WITH MANY OTHERS WHO WISH 1856 i COLLEGE A Successful Centennial Year Tyson*Welborn Insurance Agency 1215 Friend Street Newberry, S. C. ■ v ..-1. V; , j, jfej fiagfi - 'sfr ’/-fi mm