The sun. [volume] (Newberry, S.C.) 1937-1972, April 25, 1957, Image 20
V ’yv" -v
rmm
-jWJ
■
-■
lawHsa?;
js;
SECTION m, PAGE TWO
THE NEWBERKY SUN
THURSDAY, APRIL 26,
The Newberry
College Players
The Newberry College Players
were organized to create interest
in dramatics, and to give the stu
dents a chance to show their
abilities and talents, by produc
ing two or three plays a year- All
students are eligible for member
ship, provided they are doing sat
isfactory work in their studies.
Euterpean Music
Club
The Euterpean Music Club is
one of the oldest organizations on
the campms. The object of the
club is to create interest in and
foster familiarity with music.
Students who are interested in
music and are recommended by a
member of the club are consid
ered for membership.
SCOUT
PROMOTIONS
Pope Buford, Troop 222 from
Star to Life Scout. )
Merit Badges
Troop 1: Tommy Lewis, basket
ry, bookbinding.
Troop 66: Fuller Campbell,
Citizenship in the Community;
Stuart MacBeth, Firemanship;
Judge Vatughan, Athletics, camp
ing, electricity, fishing, forestry,
home repairs, personal fitness.
Troop 222: Pope Buford, citi
zenship in the community; cook
ing, forestry; David Shealy, Citi
zenship in the Home.
1856 @11956
COLLEGE
For PROMPT SERVICE
By Trained Repairmen
JUST TELEPHONE
Telephon* 311
GEO. N. MARTIN
Radio and Television
SALES and SERVICE
1309 MAIN STREET
Newberry, 8. C.
24 HOUR SERVICE
Administrative Staff
Left to right, seated: Miss Carolyn Cromer, associate librarian; Miss Mary Estelle
Timberlake, A.M., Librarian. Standing, B. Osborne Long, A.B., business manager and
treasurer; Dr. Conrad B. Park, Academic Dean; R. Wright Cannon, A.B., executive sec
retary, Pre-Centennial Building and Endowment Fund Campaign; L. Clifton Graham,
A.B., Director of Public Relations; James C. Abrams, M.Ed., Registrar.
HISTORY OF NEWBERRY COLLEGE
(Continued from page 1)
to resume the practice of law in
Newberry. He was succeeded by
the Rev. James A. B. Scherer,
Ph D.,LL.D., who directed !t h e
college through steady progress
until his resignation in 1908. In
1907 Andrew Carnegie offered the
college $10,000 for a new build
ing on the condition that the col
lege raise an equal amount. With
in five hours the total amount
was secured within Newberry
county. Carnegie hall housed the
technological department until
1917, when engineering courses
were discontinued so that the col
lege might concentrate all its
resources upon the development
of its traditional liberal arts pro
gram. Graduates were sent out to
achieve places of prominence in
these technical fields.
The Rev. J. Henry Harms, D.D.,
succeeded Dr. Scherer. He served
until 1918, increasing endowment
of the institution and the pres
tige of the college in many fields.
When - Dr. Harms resigned in
1918, the Board of Trustees turn
ed to the faculty for his succes
sor and elected Dr. Sidney J. Der
rick. During his administration
the citizens of Newberry again
made liberal donations to help
build the gymnasium in 1923, now
named MacLean gymnasium, and
a men’s dormitory in 1924, now
named Derrick hall.
In 1928-1929, Summerland col
lege, a Lutheran institution for
women located at Leesville, be
came a part of Newberry college.
All records, students and equip
ment were transferred to the
campus at Newberry college.
After a progressive adminis
tration Dr Derrick resigned in
1930 to resume his place on the
faculty as'Professor of History.
The much beloved professor died
June 13, 1948.
James C. Kinard, Litt. D.,LL.D.
who had been a member of the
exr
faculty since 1916, succeeded Dr.
Derrick. In 1936 the college was
admitted to full membership in
the Southern Association of Col
leges and Secondary schools and
has continued to maintain its high
academic standing.
During 1943-45 through the
Navy V-12 program the College
trained more than 1000 men from
all over the country. After the
war, many of these men returned
to Newberry to complete the
college education.
In 1944, the citizens of Newber
ry built and equipped Wright
Recreation Hall for the use of the
faculty and students in the navy
V-12 program. It was named in
honor of Z. F. Wright, LL.D., of
Newberry a prominent alumnus
of the college and a member of
the Board of Trustees.
The administration of Presid
ent James C. Kinard was out
standing .in many aspects. The
(Continued on page 3)
Congratulating
1856
1956
COLLEGE
On 100 Years of Progress
Newton Tire & Recapping Company
914 Main St
Newberry, S. C.
Phone 237
—!
Our Very Best
'"■v
v*'
IS I
1956
frV-
COLLEGE
Wishes - - -
For a
M
Great Centennial Celebration
For NEWBERRY COLLEGE
\
While you are in town for
the celebration, we invite you
to come in and see our com
plete line of DODGE and PLY
MOUTH automobiles and Gen
eral Electric Appliances.
m
ihjM
Ipjl
1956
COLLEGE
SMITH MOTOR COMPANY
1309 College St
Telephones 777 & 172
Newberry, S. C.
—'
WE JOIN WITH MANY OTHERS WHO WISH
1856
i
COLLEGE
A Successful Centennial Year
Tyson*Welborn Insurance Agency
1215 Friend Street
Newberry, S. C.
■ v ..-1.
V; , j, jfej fiagfi -
'sfr ’/-fi
mm