University of South Carolina Libraries
# Newberry College was founded 1856 by the Lutherans of South Carolina. It is now owned and controlled by the Evangelical Lutheran Synods of South Caro lina, Georgia-Alabama and Flor ida. From a student body of fif ty students in 1856, the college now has an enrollment of 576 students, the highest in its his tory ,except in September 1957 when 608 students enrolled. This / large enrollment was caused by veterans continuing their educa tion under the “G.L” Bill. The history of the efforts of South Carolina Lutherans to found and maintain an institution of higher learning began in Char leston at the annual meeting of the South Carolina Synod in 1828. The Rev. John Bachman, D.D., president of the Synod of South Carolina and adjacent states, recommended in his ‘annual report the establishment of an institu tion of learning under the direc tion and control of the Synod. The chief purpose was to be the train ing of ministers for the church. In 1830, the Synod resolved to establish a theological seminary and to conduct in connection with it a “classical academy.” This ^‘classical academy” was the em bryo college from which the pres ent institution, Newberry College, resulted. The session opened the first Monday in February 1831. Since the combined Seminary and Academy did not yet have a heme, Col. John Eichelberg^r gave the Board of Directors permission to use his residence located near Pomaria, South Carolina. This home is still standing, and is eas ily located by a historical marker placed on the site last year. In 1854 the Synod decided that it would be advisable to seek a new home for the institution and to secure a charter constituting it as a regular college with power to confer degrees. In 1855 the college was located in Newberry. The name of the institution was known as “Luther College and Theological Seminary” but in 1856 the present name, “New berry College” was adopted. The college was chartered by the Gen eral Assembly of South Carolina on December 20, 1856. The first meeting of the Board of Trustees after the college was chartered was held on January 13, 1857 and a contract was let for the erection of the college build ing for the sum of $18,000. In 1858 the preparatory department was opened and the college prop er began operation in February 1859 when the building was com pleted and occupied. * The first president was the Rev. Theophilus Stork, D. D. of Phila delphia, Pa. On account of illness he resigned in 1860 after serving one year as president. The Rev. James Allen Brown, D.D., profes sor of Theology, was elected as Stork’s successor. The beginning outlook for the College was bright; however, hopes for the college were soon blighted by the outbreak of the War Between the States. Nearly all the students left their studies to enlist in the army. In 1861, the Board of Trustees elected the Rev. J. P. Smeltzer, D. D., as president to succeed Brown, who had resigned'. Presi dent Smeltzer guided, the perilous fortunes of the struggling little college during the war and the period of Reconstruction. In the summer of 1865 the college build ing was occupied by a federal gar rison. In his efforts to secure funds to continue the operation of the college, Dr. Smeltzer baked bread and peddled it to the Un ion soldiers. It is said that the soldiers would always make Dr. Smeltzer eat a portion of each batch of bread in their presence that they might be sure that he was not trying to poison them. Owing to damage done the buildfng by the Federal soldiers and to the inability of the Synod to make the necessary repairs, the college building was soon consid ered unsafe for occupancy. On June 25, 1868, the Board of Trus tees met and found matters most discouraging. The college has been maintained with two pro fessors, a tutor and a handful of students. Creditors were demand ing payments of their claims. The endowment funds, invested in Confederate bonds, had been wip ed out. At this crisis an offer was received from Walhalla and so the college was moved there. There was nothing to move except “the college bell, the remnant of a library and a few blackboards and benches.” But the people of Newberry could not long endure the sight of the ruins that, had been a col lege- Grim and gaunt, the crumb ling walls of that lone building on the hill beyond the town were a constant challenge to their en terprise. In 1876, during the state wide jubilations over Wade Hamp ton’s election and the route of evil and misgovernment, the citizens of Newberry raised a sufficient amount of money to bring their college back home. Bids were made by Anderson, Columbia, - Lexington, Prosperity and Wal halla but the offer of the Newber ry citizens was the most attrac tive and in the fall of 1877 the college resumed its work at New berry. The beloved George W. Holland, D.D., served as president from 1877 until 1895. Under his wise administration the college en joyed a period of great progress. Dr. Holland, a one-armed Con federate veteran, gave his life to Newberry, and when he died his last words were “God Bless New berry college.” The erection of Keller hall in 1895 was made in memory of her son, J. Aiken Keller, who had died in 1884 while a student at New berry college. The chapel was in this building and the first ser vice held October 1, 1895 was the funeral of President Holland. On that same day James C. Kinard, who was to serve as president from 1930-1954, was born in New berry. The cornerstone of the new college building in Newberry was laid on July 18, 1877 and within a year the building was ready for use. It was named Smeltzer hall in honor of Dr. Holland's immed iate predecessor. Remodeled in 1930 largely through gifts from the citizens of New'berry, this building today is a very hand some dormitory for women. * Dr. George B. Cromer of New berry, the first layman to serve as president of the college, was elected to succeed Dr. Holland. For eight years he served the in stitution well. During his presi dency the administration building —Holland hall, was erected. Dr. Cromer resigned in 1904 (Continued on page. 2) 1856 (tel) 1956 A J J* COLLEGE We extend to you our Best Wishes now, and for the years to come. MI-LADY BEAUTY SALON 1519 MARTIN STREET NEWBERRY, S. C. Best Wishes to NEWBERRY COLLEGE y On Its lOOth Anniversary “No institution can remain great unless it respects the nobler features of its own past and unless it encourages the kind of service and devotion which makes that respect possible/" Carpenter’s Congratulations To Newberry College 1857 1957 The City of Newberry proudly salutes Newberry College dur ing its celebration, commemo rating 100 years of service to Church, State and Nation. Newberry is proud to have lo cated in its midst such a fine Christian College. We welcome the many alum ni and visitors during the cele bration, and extend sincere 1 congratulations to Newberry college. The Newberry