The sun. [volume] (Newberry, S.C.) 1937-1972, April 25, 1957, Image 19
#
Newberry College was founded
1856 by the Lutherans of South
Carolina. It is now owned and
controlled by the Evangelical
Lutheran Synods of South Caro
lina, Georgia-Alabama and Flor
ida. From a student body of fif
ty students in 1856, the college
now has an enrollment of 576
students, the highest in its his
tory ,except in September 1957
when 608 students enrolled. This
/ large enrollment was caused by
veterans continuing their educa
tion under the “G.L” Bill.
The history of the efforts of
South Carolina Lutherans to found
and maintain an institution of
higher learning began in Char
leston at the annual meeting of
the South Carolina Synod in 1828.
The Rev. John Bachman, D.D.,
president of the Synod of South
Carolina and adjacent states,
recommended in his ‘annual report
the establishment of an institu
tion of learning under the direc
tion and control of the Synod. The
chief purpose was to be the train
ing of ministers for the church.
In 1830, the Synod resolved to
establish a theological seminary
and to conduct in connection with
it a “classical academy.” This
^‘classical academy” was the em
bryo college from which the pres
ent institution, Newberry College,
resulted.
The session opened the first
Monday in February 1831. Since
the combined Seminary and
Academy did not yet have a heme,
Col. John Eichelberg^r gave the
Board of Directors permission to
use his residence located near
Pomaria, South Carolina. This
home is still standing, and is eas
ily located by a historical marker
placed on the site last year.
In 1854 the Synod decided that
it would be advisable to seek a
new home for the institution and
to secure a charter constituting it
as a regular college with power
to confer degrees. In 1855 the
college was located in Newberry.
The name of the institution was
known as “Luther College and
Theological Seminary” but in
1856 the present name, “New
berry College” was adopted. The
college was chartered by the Gen
eral Assembly of South Carolina
on December 20, 1856.
The first meeting of the Board
of Trustees after the college was
chartered was held on January
13, 1857 and a contract was let for
the erection of the college build
ing for the sum of $18,000. In
1858 the preparatory department
was opened and the college prop
er began operation in February
1859 when the building was com
pleted and occupied. *
The first president was the Rev.
Theophilus Stork, D. D. of Phila
delphia, Pa. On account of illness
he resigned in 1860 after serving
one year as president. The Rev.
James Allen Brown, D.D., profes
sor of Theology, was elected as
Stork’s successor.
The beginning outlook for the
College was bright; however,
hopes for the college were soon
blighted by the outbreak of the
War Between the States. Nearly
all the students left their studies
to enlist in the army.
In 1861, the Board of Trustees
elected the Rev. J. P. Smeltzer, D.
D., as president to succeed
Brown, who had resigned'. Presi
dent Smeltzer guided, the perilous
fortunes of the struggling little
college during the war and the
period of Reconstruction. In the
summer of 1865 the college build
ing was occupied by a federal gar
rison. In his efforts to secure
funds to continue the operation of
the college, Dr. Smeltzer baked
bread and peddled it to the Un
ion soldiers. It is said that the
soldiers would always make Dr.
Smeltzer eat a portion of each
batch of bread in their presence
that they might be sure that he
was not trying to poison them.
Owing to damage done the
buildfng by the Federal soldiers
and to the inability of the Synod
to make the necessary repairs, the
college building was soon consid
ered unsafe for occupancy. On
June 25, 1868, the Board of Trus
tees met and found matters most
discouraging. The college has
been maintained with two pro
fessors, a tutor and a handful of
students. Creditors were demand
ing payments of their claims. The
endowment funds, invested in
Confederate bonds, had been wip
ed out. At this crisis an offer was
received from Walhalla and so
the college was moved there.
There was nothing to move except
“the college bell, the remnant of
a library and a few blackboards
and benches.”
But the people of Newberry
could not long endure the sight
of the ruins that, had been a col
lege- Grim and gaunt, the crumb
ling walls of that lone building
on the hill beyond the town were
a constant challenge to their en
terprise. In 1876, during the state
wide jubilations over Wade Hamp
ton’s election and the route of evil
and misgovernment, the citizens
of Newberry raised a sufficient
amount of money to bring their
college back home. Bids were
made by Anderson, Columbia, -
Lexington, Prosperity and Wal
halla but the offer of the Newber
ry citizens was the most attrac
tive and in the fall of 1877 the
college resumed its work at New
berry.
The beloved George W. Holland,
D.D., served as president from
1877 until 1895. Under his wise
administration the college en
joyed a period of great progress.
Dr. Holland, a one-armed Con
federate veteran, gave his life to
Newberry, and when he died his
last words were “God Bless New
berry college.”
The erection of Keller hall in
1895 was made in memory of her
son, J. Aiken Keller, who had died
in 1884 while a student at New
berry college. The chapel was in
this building and the first ser
vice held October 1, 1895 was the
funeral of President Holland. On
that same day James C. Kinard,
who was to serve as president
from 1930-1954, was born in New
berry.
The cornerstone of the new
college building in Newberry was
laid on July 18, 1877 and within
a year the building was ready for
use. It was named Smeltzer hall
in honor of Dr. Holland's immed
iate predecessor. Remodeled in
1930 largely through gifts from
the citizens of New'berry, this
building today is a very hand
some dormitory for women. *
Dr. George B. Cromer of New
berry, the first layman to serve
as president of the college, was
elected to succeed Dr. Holland.
For eight years he served the in
stitution well. During his presi
dency the administration building
—Holland hall, was erected.
Dr. Cromer resigned in 1904
(Continued on page. 2)
1856 (tel) 1956
A J J*
COLLEGE
We extend to you our
Best Wishes now, and
for the years to come.
MI-LADY BEAUTY SALON
1519 MARTIN STREET NEWBERRY, S. C.
Best Wishes to
NEWBERRY COLLEGE
y
On Its lOOth Anniversary
“No institution can remain great unless it
respects the nobler features of its own past
and unless it encourages the kind of service
and devotion which makes that respect
possible/"
Carpenter’s
Congratulations To Newberry College
1857
1957
The City of Newberry proudly
salutes Newberry College dur
ing its celebration, commemo
rating 100 years of service to
Church, State and Nation.
Newberry is proud to have lo
cated in its midst such a fine
Christian College.
We welcome the many alum
ni and visitors during the cele
bration, and extend sincere
1
congratulations to Newberry
college.
The
Newberry