University of South Carolina Libraries
i mm Warn. m FIRST MOUNTVILLE SCHOOL Mountville 175 Years Old BY MESS ZELLE CRISP About 175 years ago Solomon Fuller came from someplace unknown to us and settled on Beaverdam Creek, so named from the numerous beaver dams built along the stream. In Solomon’s family was a son, Alsey Fuller who settled near the same stream. In Alsey’s family were two doctors, Dr. Frank and Dr. Anthony. Among Dr. Frank Fuller’s offspring were also two doctors, Alsey and Clarence, the latter of whom settled in Tennessee. Two other sons, Frank and Adolphus, and three daughters, Mrs. Stokes, Mrs. Mitchell and Mrs. Smith were children of the same family. Later on another Fuller family, that of John R. Fuller, the father of Dr. Lau rens Fuller, late of Laurens, and the grandfather of Dr. Ellis A. Fuller, came to the same community. Still another Fuller, William A. Fuller, a school teacher and farmer lived a little lower down the road. Others who came later to Beaverdam Creek set tlement were Alsey Coleman, who also reared two sons in the medical profession, Dr. Frank and Dr. Galley Cole man. Besides all these doctors was another physician, Dr. Dane Richardson. Later on there appeared such family names as Smith, Ben jamin, Teague, Wharton and Pasley, all well-to-do far mers. In 1808 a large brick church was built near the Beaverdam Creek and later a school was established both taking the name Beaverdam. This church still stands today having been remodeled a few years ago and stands as a memorial to the industry and religion of these early settlers. Dr. Ellis A. Fuller was pastor of this church during his early ministry. Back in those early years there was a star mail route running from Laurens to Chap pells through the Beaverdam settlement. A post office was established on that route to which the name Mountville was given, it is supposed, from a steep hill rising up from a stream called Ginger Creek. For many years the post office was kept by Dr. Dave Rich ardson at his home. Years later William A. Fuller be came postmaster and the office was moved to his home three miles farther down the road. In 1892 a great change came when the Seaboard Air Line Railroad was built through that section; business houses were erected, new churches, Pres byterian, Universalist and Bap tist and later Methodist es- tablished. A new school started a bank followed, a new Post office replaced the old, but the town and all of its institutions held on to the name Mount ville though removed three miles away. The new railroad town at once became the business and social center of the entire sec tion. Town, church, school and businesses maintained a healthy growth until after 1900 when automobiles and better roads came to detract trade to larger centers. Among Mountville’s earliest business men were Dr. Crain, 0. B. Simmons, John M. Sim mons, John B. Rasor, Dr. Al sey Fuller, W. J. Cluck, W. C. Hipp, Jessie Bryson, Milam Bryson, Lawrence Boyd, B. R. Fuller, Sam Rasor. Other lead ing citizens’ include the names of Miller, Motes, Teague, Crisp, Werts, Goddard, Ful lers, Goodman, Jones, Stokes, Wham, Watts, Burns, Wine- henner and Alexander. The economy of Mountville is chiefly agricultural pro ducts. It is known for its’ farms cattle and timber. It has been proud of its educational sys tem. It was the first school in the state to consolidate and it maintained an accredited high school until the last few years. At the beginning of this school year the entire twelve grades are being transported to the Clinton schools by bus. Even though our town is small \ SECOND MOUNTVILLE SCHOOL —This building replaced Mountville’s first school. The school shown above is believed to have been built about 1912 and housed grades one through 11. • • • • • - - - - - . --------------------- Citizens Federal wishes SOUTH CAROLINA a happy 300th BIRTHDAY! 16701 U970 our citizens have labored to secure the best for their child ren. Almost every family has sent their children on to college and several have gone on to graduate school and earned M. A. and PhD. degrees. The citizens of Mountville are proud of their heritage, proud that the early settlers built for the future and their Christian posterity have for these 170 years fought the bat tles of morality and religion against prevailing evils of the world, and the name Mount ville is still preserved in town, church and Post office. 12—THE CHRONICLE, Clinton, S. C., Nov. 12, 1970 Mountville Baptist Organized In 1892 A BY MBS ZELLE CRBP In July 1892 a group of mem bers of Beaverdam Baptist Church was dismissed by let ter to form the Mountville Bap tist Church. They were Mr. and Mrs. M. B. Crisp, Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Crisp, Mr. M. L. Crisp, Mr. and Mrs. W. P. Fuller, Mr. J. C. Miller, Mrs. Mary Mil ler, Mrs. Amanda Motes, Mrs. Amanda Mounce and Mrs. E.S. Payne. On August 28, 1892 the a- bove named charter members organized a Baptist Church to be called The Mountville Bap tist Church. The articles of Faith and the Covenant of the church were read and unanimously adopted after which they proceeded to elect the officers of the church. M. B. Crisp and J. C. Miller were elected deacons. J. C. Miller was elected Church Clerk. M. B. Crisp, J. C. Miller and W. P. Fuller were elected delegates to the as sociation, Cross Hill, Beaver dam, Holly Grove and Water loo Churches were represented in council. After a feeling pray er by Rev. T. A. Campbell council adjourned. The first pastor was the Rev. T. A. Campbell. On May 20, 1893 the church met in conference following the preaching service. Mr. M. B. Crisp made a motion, which was passed, that a committee of twelve be appointed to select a suitable site on which to build a house of worship and take such steps as they may dream necessary to procure money and material for the building of a house of worship and that this committee shall have the right to continue the work until the house is com pleted. This church was used with some changes and addi tions for fifty seven years or until a brick church was com pleted and the first service was' held, Sunday, December 16, 1951. It has a seating capacity of two hundred. Under the leadership of the pastor, Rev. Ware Madden and a building committee consist ing of Mr. Lucius Burns, Mr. Roy Miller and Mr. M. L. Crisp; a finance committee composed of Mr. M. L. Crisp, Mr. Fuller Motes, Mrs. Maude Bryson and Mr. P. H. Miller as building fund treasurer the church was completed. Later an educational wing consist ing of six rooms was added. A central heating system has been in use for several years and the church is now planning to add more to the education wing. It is worthy of note that during the years there has been no great influx of mem bers, the membership of the church having remained con stant. In January 1958 the mem bership consisted of seventy two resident members and 21 21 non-resident members. The late Dr. Ellis A. Fuller was ordain by our church in 1913. During his life he held several pasturates m outstand ing churches and at his death he was president of The South ern Baptist Theological Se minary, Louisville, Kentucky. Several other well known preachers have been pastors of our church as Rev. R. G. Lee, Rev. J. B. Parrot, Rev. LAWSON, PHONE *976550 MOT A LITTLE SAVE A LOT mcifag, COMPANY COLUMBIA ML WAY, MAMA, S. 6. MOUNTVILLE BAPTIST CHURCH C. L. Fowler, Rev. Bostic, Rev. Jodie A. Martin, Rev. George E. Smith, Rev. J. H. Byrd, Rev. Floyd Hellams, Rev. Jackson Touchberry, our pre sent pastor is Rev. Loyd Melton. During the years this group of loyal Christians, excercis- ing faith in God, and feeling a dedication tu the task, have labored in cooperation and ac complished what seemed to some to be an impossible task. O' . *<r 1670 1070 LAWSOtf Since October 1947 when Lawson Furniture Company first opened its doors to the great Piedmont, we've endeavored to give you competent sales counselors, competitive prices, and exciting displays. We have grown from a modest beginning until we now have approximately 27,- 000 square feet of displays—one of the largest in South Carolina on one floor. ■Q>qric REGULAR passbook savings Per Annum Compounded Semi-annually • NO MINIMUM DEPOSIT • FUNDS AVAILABLE ANY TIME • OFFERS COMPLETE FLEXIBILITY OTHER SAVINCS PLANS AVAILABLE I SAVINGS CERTIFICATE $1,000 INITIAL DEPOSIT 6 MONTHS MATURITY SAVINGS CERTIFICATE $6,600 INITIAL DEPOSIT L YEAR MATURITY GOLD PASS BOOK $600.00 MINIMUM DEPOSIT >0 DAY NOTICE FOR WITHDRAWAL SAVINGS CERTIFICATE $10,000 INITIAL DEPOSIT 2 YEAR MATURITY CITIZENS FEDERAL Savings and Loan Association 208 South Bread Stroot CLINTON. SOUTH CAROLINA •AMTV a* va M» TV y ■K-W-X-xJl In 1952 we built our main building where our office is located. We display living room furniture and accessories in this building. In 1959 we added our Early American Showroom which is located in the rear of our main building. In 1960 we purchased the Whelchel Garage which was remodeled in order to display French Provincial furniture. In 1962 we added our Carpet Department We stock rolls in large numbers for our customers' viewing, and ready for immediate delivery. You do not have to wait for it to be ordered. We have our own factory trained mechanics which insures our customers excellent service. We are of the opinion there is no substitute for a good installation. In 1968 we purchased the building formerly owned by GoidviUe Dry Cleaners, where we display all of our used furniture. DURING THESE 23 YEARS WE HAVE ENJOYED STEADY GROWTH FOR WHICH WE ARE INDEED GRATEFUL. I WISH TO TAKE THIS OP PORTUNITY TO THANK EVERYONE WHO HAS PLAYED A PART IN OUR SUCCESS. LAWSON FURNITURE CO. * t-