University of South Carolina Libraries
13—THE CHRONICLE, Clinton, S. C., Nov. 12, 1070 Mountville Presbyterian Organized In 1893 ‘‘The Mountville Presbyterian Church was organized October, 1893 with the following members...” the church record says. The names of Austin, Boyd, Bryson, Cannon, Dunlap, Fuller, Goodman, Ham, Jones, Leaman, Pasley and Pyles appear in the list which follows. In 1890, Mrs. R. I. Caine conveyed land on which a “Greater Mountville” was to grow, and the site for the Presbyterian Church was purchased adjacent thereto f rom William M. Werts. The deed names R. B. Bryson, R. T. Dunlap, J M Bryson, and J. A. Jones as deacons at that time. The original church building was one large auditorium 40 by 60 feet On June 3, 1894, a "Sabbath school was organized” and three rooms were partitioned off for class rooms. In those days. Dr. J. F. Jacobs "supplied” as pastor. The records of Session and congregational meetings were brief It was here at Mountville Presbyterian Church that Dr. Thorn well Jacobs preached his first sermon, of which the church record states: “it was his first effprt, and he did ad mirably weR** The generation which had made the community and founded the church stayed with the land. Sons and daughters went away to college for training and many have returned prepared to take hold and continue to keep together a community of fine people. Today, the church roll still contains the names of those founders’ descendants—Wham, Carter, Watts, Lynch and Stokes. Records show that there have been only two weddings per formed in the church: Clementina Fuller to Jesse H. Teague on May 10, 1900 and Betty Wham to Fred H. Wackenhagen in February, 1946. The most recent addition to the church is an entrance and vestibule. This addition was made possible through a gift by Beth Keller WKkm from the estate of Harry Keller in memory of George S. Wham, Sr. Beth is the wife of George S. Wham, Jr. and is a member of this church. Plans are now being made to iprove the furnishings of the nurch through memorials given in memory of L G. Jones, Mrs. Effie Fuller, Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Carter and Mr. H. W. Bryson. These improvements include carpeting, a com munion table and a baptismal stand. Cross Hill Baptist Church Cross Hill Baptist Grew From Three Churches Because of the great com mission in Matt. 28:18-20, twenty three followers, being former members of Bethabara, Cross Roads and Beaverdam Baptist churches, organized and founded the Cross Hill Baptist Church April 20, 1879 under the leadership of their first pastor, Rev. M. E. Broaddus who served the church until 1884. During these years, the membership grew to 65. ON AUGUST 15, 1880 the church’s first house of worship was dedicated, the dedicatory sermon being preached by its pastor. Shortly after its foun ding the church was admitted to the Reedy River Baptist Association in which it operated until 1897 when it made its first report to the Laurens Baptist Association with a membership of 115. Rev. J. G. Wilson became pastor in 1918 for a three year pastorate, in which, a new brick structure was realized. The building was opened for worship in 1920, however, it was not dedicated until 1945 because of indebtedness. This building was erected in a period of high in flation, followed soon afterward by a long span of depression which brought many hardships upon the members for the next twemy-five years to erase the debt THE CHURCH grew in numbers to about 200 members by the end of 1922. In 1934 the Rev. J. R Byrd came to the church for a pastorate of ten and a half years. During this period many changes occured in the church. All financial obligations were satisfied; many new members were added by experience and letter; and the house of worship was dedicated to the Lord. Under the patient and faithful leadership of Bro. Byrd, the church successfully liquidated all of its physical obligations and proceeded to dedicate to the Lord all of its material assets free of any indebtedness. The dedication service on May 13, 1945 was attended by a large congregation of its members and many visitors from neigh boring churches of various denominations. The service was highlighted by remarks by the pastor declaring the valiant effort the church had made for the occasion, and the burning of the notes symbolized the final erasure of all debts. After the second World War, the church regained its normal stride, being free of debt However, on the night of January 24, 1948 the church suffered a great loss when its building was destroyed by fire. For over two and a half years services were held in the Cross Hill school building. The Presbyterian and Methodist churches kindly offered their buildings which were used for pray?r services and on other occasions. Also, the Mountville Baptist Church offered Its facilities for baptismal ser vices. In 1949, after the remains of the old building were cleared, work began on the present building. THE PRESENT brick structure consists of an auditorium with a seating capacity erf 350 and a two story educational building, providing twelve class rooms and two assembly rooms. The cost of the building itself with heating equipment was $42,907.40 and the furnishings coat $6,857.36, making a total coat of $49,664.76. The amount received from insurance was $25,000; and the building was dedicated free of debt First services were held in this building on August 27,1950. The dedication service for this building took place December 9, 1951 when Dr. E. V. Hudson delivered the dedication ser mon. At tHs time the value of the church property, including the pastor’s home, is $150,000. The Rev. W W. Willingham currently serves the 206- member congregation. AW.V.V.V.VSVWrfV.V.VVV.VAV.VV.VVW.V.Wv • ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••a* Bethabara Founded In 1794 Bethabara Baptist Church, located near Cross Hill, S. C., was founded in 1794. The found ers were John Waller of Vir ginia, David Lilly who probably came from North Carolina and Richard Shackelford, who so far as is known, was a native son. The church was named Betha bara after the Bethabara of the scriptures as found in Judges 7:24 and St. John 1:28. The word means “house at the ford* and the first Bethabara Church was so located on the headwaters of Bank’s Creek. The first two buildings that housed the church was at that location, and there are two graves there. When constituted, Bethabara had 44 members. The names of the charter members are unknown, but there is a fairly good idea as to who most of them were because of the names use. In 1936 the first piano was bought to replace an organ that had been used for many years. John Waller, who was one of the founders, served the church for about seven years as pastor and was succeeded by Henry Hitt. Henry Hitt, who was from this locality, served the church longer than any other pastor ever has--from 1801 until 1830. In the early years of the church all Christians who cared to took part in the services but the church, as a whole, “Always leaned toward the Bap tist belief". Bethabara joined the Bethel Association in 1795 and remained a member of it until 1828 when it became a member of the Reedy River Association. It was not until 1898 that Bethabara withdrew from Reedy River Association to join the Laurens Association. Mountville Presbyterian Church Bellview Established In 1900 that appear frequently in the During the 176 years that Bellview Baptist Church was established March 5, 1900. La- favette W. Ramage deeded land 5/8 acres of land to Milton A. Surerel and Thomas J. Wea- thers as trustees for a Bap tist Church to be organized. It is understood that he also made a nice cash contribution to the building fund on condi tion that the organization be named Bellview in honor of his mother’s family-the well known Presbyterian Bell family of this community. The Church was organized and admitted into the Laurens Association this same year, M. C. Compton was pastor; P. B. Bailey, Clerk, and M. A. Sumeral, Sunday School Superintendent The present auditorium was built in 1953 under the leader ship of Rev. Ralph Standley. He also led the church in get ting the deed cleared to be able to borrow money to build the Church and Pastorium. Oth er land has been acquired from Jerry Wingo, and Fred Irwin. The original building was torn down in 1964 when a new Edu cational building was com pleted. Another educational plant was completed in 1969. It was paid for upon its com pletion. The church is now debt free. The present membership of Bellview Church is 568. God’s blessings ha^e been upon the church under the lead ership of men who served as pastors. Some of whom are, Rev. M. G. Compton, rev. J. A. Brock, Rev. Hugh Hazle, Rev. Kenneth Brown and Rev. Ralph Standley. The present pastor is J.B. Abercrombie, who has served the church for the last 12 and one half years. J. E. Martin is Music Director. early records. In 1805 Bethabara obtained six and one fourth acres of land and moved to its present site. The present building is the third on that site. The present building was erected in 1881 and dedicated on the third Sunday in April of that year. William Lindsey was the builder and all of the lumber, including that for pews, was hand dressed. The old pews were used until a few years ago and some are still the prized possessions of some of the elder members who pur chased them or gave a new one to replace the one they ob tained. In 1905 new pulpit furni ture was acquired and is still in We Are Proud To Be A Part Of Clinton And Share In It's Role In The South Carolina Tricenfennial Celebration. We Strive To Offer Our Customers Efficient Service With A Personal T ouch. BANK OF CLINTON (UNT0N, S. C. 1()70 6 XMJ in Bethabara’s cemetery. Rev. W. P. Turner Sr., who was a native of the community filled the pulpit many, many times in his long and usc'J life. During World War I, it was decided that the First Baptist Church of Cross Hill and Betha bara would have the same pas tor. This continued without in terruption until 1957. During this time or at least part of it, the pastor also preached at Mountville and Waterloo. The outside pool, with water supplied by a spring, is still in use. It is in a beautiful setting and baptisms usually at tract large crowds. In 1957, under the leader ship of Rev. C. B. Rogers the church went “full time" and has continued to carry a full program. Services are held each Sunday morning. The Clinton-Newberry Natural Gas Authority Is Proud To Be Of Service To The People In This Area And Wishes South Carolina A Very Happy 300th Birthday — With The Hopes For A Long Prosperous Future. $ I Bethabara has existed it has been instrumental in helping -to form several others. Sev eral young men of-the church have been ordained as mini sters. The First Baptist Church of Cross Hill was formed in 1879 with some of its members coming from Bethabara. This was done under the leadership of Rev. M. E. Broadus. In the one hundred and seventy-six years that Betha bara has served the community there has been about forty pas tors. As aforesaid Henry Hitt served the longest with a re cord of twenty nine years. Rev. B. F. Corley served three dif ferent times and is the only former pastor who is buried • •••••••••• TRIBBLE CO FOUNDED IN 1894 BY D. E. TRIBBLE 1859-1952 Through The Loyal Patronage Of The People Of This Community* We Have Been Able To Serve This Area Continuously For Three Quarters Of A Century. D. L TRIBBLE CO r 115 Gary Street Clinton* S. C.