The Clinton chronicle. (Clinton, S.C.) 1901-current, November 12, 1970, Image 32
i
mm
Warn.
m
FIRST MOUNTVILLE SCHOOL
Mountville 175 Years Old
BY MESS ZELLE CRISP
About 175 years ago Solomon
Fuller came from someplace
unknown to us and settled on
Beaverdam Creek, so named
from the numerous beaver
dams built along the stream.
In Solomon’s family was a son,
Alsey Fuller who settled near
the same stream. In Alsey’s
family were two doctors, Dr.
Frank and Dr. Anthony. Among
Dr. Frank Fuller’s offspring
were also two doctors, Alsey
and Clarence, the latter of
whom settled in Tennessee.
Two other sons, Frank and
Adolphus, and three daughters,
Mrs. Stokes, Mrs. Mitchell and
Mrs. Smith were children of the
same family. Later on another
Fuller family, that of John R.
Fuller, the father of Dr. Lau
rens Fuller, late of Laurens,
and the grandfather of Dr. Ellis
A. Fuller, came to the same
community.
Still another Fuller, William
A. Fuller, a school teacher and
farmer lived a little lower down
the road. Others who came
later to Beaverdam Creek set
tlement were Alsey Coleman,
who also reared two sons in
the medical profession, Dr.
Frank and Dr. Galley Cole
man. Besides all these doctors
was another physician, Dr.
Dane Richardson.
Later on there appeared such
family names as Smith, Ben
jamin, Teague, Wharton and
Pasley, all well-to-do far
mers.
In 1808 a large brick church
was built near the Beaverdam
Creek and later a school was
established both taking the
name Beaverdam. This church
still stands today having been
remodeled a few years ago and
stands as a memorial to the
industry and religion of these
early settlers. Dr. Ellis A.
Fuller was pastor of this church
during his early ministry.
Back in those early years
there was a star mail route
running from Laurens to Chap
pells through the Beaverdam
settlement. A post office was
established on that route to
which the name Mountville was
given, it is supposed, from a
steep hill rising up from a
stream called Ginger Creek.
For many years the post office
was kept by Dr. Dave Rich
ardson at his home. Years
later William A. Fuller be
came postmaster and the office
was moved to his home three
miles farther down the road.
In 1892 a great change came
when the Seaboard Air Line
Railroad was built through that
section; business houses were
erected, new churches, Pres
byterian, Universalist and Bap
tist and later Methodist es-
tablished. A new school started
a bank followed, a new Post
office replaced the old, but the
town and all of its institutions
held on to the name Mount
ville though removed three
miles away.
The new railroad town at
once became the business and
social center of the entire sec
tion. Town, church, school and
businesses maintained a
healthy growth until after 1900
when automobiles and better
roads came to detract trade to
larger centers.
Among Mountville’s earliest
business men were Dr. Crain,
0. B. Simmons, John M. Sim
mons, John B. Rasor, Dr. Al
sey Fuller, W. J. Cluck, W. C.
Hipp, Jessie Bryson, Milam
Bryson, Lawrence Boyd, B. R.
Fuller, Sam Rasor. Other lead
ing citizens’ include the names
of Miller, Motes, Teague,
Crisp, Werts, Goddard, Ful
lers, Goodman, Jones, Stokes,
Wham, Watts, Burns, Wine-
henner and Alexander.
The economy of Mountville
is chiefly agricultural pro
ducts. It is known for its’ farms
cattle and timber. It has been
proud of its educational sys
tem. It was the first school in
the state to consolidate and it
maintained an accredited high
school until the last few years.
At the beginning of this school
year the entire twelve grades
are being transported to the
Clinton schools by bus.
Even though our town is small
\
SECOND MOUNTVILLE SCHOOL
—This building replaced Mountville’s
first school. The school shown above
is believed to have been built about
1912 and housed grades one through
11.
• • • • • - - - - - . ---------------------
Citizens Federal
wishes
SOUTH CAROLINA
a happy
300th
BIRTHDAY!
16701
U970
our citizens have labored to
secure the best for their child
ren. Almost every family has
sent their children on to college
and several have gone on to
graduate school and earned M.
A. and PhD. degrees.
The citizens of Mountville
are proud of their heritage,
proud that the early settlers
built for the future and their
Christian posterity have for
these 170 years fought the bat
tles of morality and religion
against prevailing evils of the
world, and the name Mount
ville is still preserved in town,
church and Post office.
12—THE CHRONICLE, Clinton, S. C., Nov. 12, 1970
Mountville Baptist
Organized In 1892
A
BY MBS ZELLE CRBP
In July 1892 a group of mem
bers of Beaverdam Baptist
Church was dismissed by let
ter to form the Mountville Bap
tist Church. They were Mr. and
Mrs. M. B. Crisp, Mr. and Mrs.
W. R. Crisp, Mr. M. L. Crisp,
Mr. and Mrs. W. P. Fuller, Mr.
J. C. Miller, Mrs. Mary Mil
ler, Mrs. Amanda Motes, Mrs.
Amanda Mounce and Mrs. E.S.
Payne.
On August 28, 1892 the a-
bove named charter members
organized a Baptist Church to
be called The Mountville Bap
tist Church.
The articles of Faith and
the Covenant of the church were
read and unanimously adopted
after which they proceeded to
elect the officers of the church.
M. B. Crisp and J. C. Miller
were elected deacons. J. C.
Miller was elected Church
Clerk. M. B. Crisp, J. C.
Miller and W. P. Fuller were
elected delegates to the as
sociation, Cross Hill, Beaver
dam, Holly Grove and Water
loo Churches were represented
in council. After a feeling pray
er by Rev. T. A. Campbell
council adjourned. The first
pastor was the Rev. T. A.
Campbell.
On May 20, 1893 the church
met in conference following the
preaching service. Mr. M. B.
Crisp made a motion, which was
passed, that a committee of
twelve be appointed to select
a suitable site on which to
build a house of worship and
take such steps as they may
dream necessary to procure
money and material for the
building of a house of worship
and that this committee shall
have the right to continue the
work until the house is com
pleted. This church was used
with some changes and addi
tions for fifty seven years or
until a brick church was com
pleted and the first service was'
held, Sunday, December 16,
1951. It has a seating capacity
of two hundred.
Under the leadership of the
pastor, Rev. Ware Madden and
a building committee consist
ing of Mr. Lucius Burns, Mr.
Roy Miller and Mr. M. L.
Crisp; a finance committee
composed of Mr. M. L. Crisp,
Mr. Fuller Motes, Mrs. Maude
Bryson and Mr. P. H. Miller
as building fund treasurer the
church was completed. Later
an educational wing consist
ing of six rooms was added. A
central heating system has been
in use for several years and
the church is now planning to
add more to the education wing.
It is worthy of note that
during the years there has
been no great influx of mem
bers, the membership of the
church having remained con
stant. In January 1958 the mem
bership consisted of seventy
two resident members and 21
21 non-resident members.
The late Dr. Ellis A. Fuller
was ordain by our church in
1913. During his life he held
several pasturates m outstand
ing churches and at his death
he was president of The South
ern Baptist Theological Se
minary, Louisville, Kentucky.
Several other well known
preachers have been pastors
of our church as Rev. R. G.
Lee, Rev. J. B. Parrot, Rev.
LAWSON,
PHONE *976550
MOT A LITTLE
SAVE A LOT
mcifag,
COMPANY
COLUMBIA ML WAY, MAMA, S. 6.
MOUNTVILLE BAPTIST CHURCH
C. L. Fowler, Rev. Bostic,
Rev. Jodie A. Martin, Rev.
George E. Smith, Rev. J. H.
Byrd, Rev. Floyd Hellams, Rev.
Jackson Touchberry, our pre
sent pastor is Rev. Loyd
Melton.
During the years this group
of loyal Christians, excercis-
ing faith in God, and feeling
a dedication tu the task, have
labored in cooperation and ac
complished what seemed to
some to be an impossible task.
O' . *<r
1670 1070
LAWSOtf
Since October 1947 when Lawson Furniture Company first opened
its doors to the great Piedmont, we've endeavored to give you competent
sales counselors, competitive prices, and exciting displays. We have
grown from a modest beginning until we now have approximately 27,-
000 square feet of displays—one of the largest in South Carolina on one
floor.
■Q>qric
REGULAR passbook savings
Per Annum
Compounded
Semi-annually
• NO MINIMUM DEPOSIT
• FUNDS AVAILABLE ANY TIME
• OFFERS COMPLETE FLEXIBILITY
OTHER SAVINCS PLANS AVAILABLE
I
SAVINGS CERTIFICATE
$1,000 INITIAL DEPOSIT
6 MONTHS MATURITY
SAVINGS CERTIFICATE
$6,600 INITIAL DEPOSIT
L YEAR MATURITY
GOLD PASS BOOK
$600.00 MINIMUM DEPOSIT
>0 DAY NOTICE FOR
WITHDRAWAL
SAVINGS CERTIFICATE
$10,000 INITIAL DEPOSIT
2 YEAR MATURITY
CITIZENS FEDERAL
Savings and Loan
Association
208 South Bread Stroot
CLINTON. SOUTH CAROLINA
•AMTV
a* va
M» TV
y
■K-W-X-xJl
In 1952 we built our main building where our office is located. We
display living room furniture and accessories in this building.
In 1959 we added our Early American Showroom which is located
in the rear of our main building.
In 1960 we purchased the Whelchel Garage which was remodeled
in order to display French Provincial furniture.
In 1962 we added our Carpet Department We stock rolls in large
numbers for our customers' viewing, and ready for immediate delivery.
You do not have to wait for it to be ordered. We have our own factory
trained mechanics which insures our customers excellent service. We
are of the opinion there is no substitute for a good installation.
In 1968 we purchased the building formerly owned by GoidviUe Dry
Cleaners, where we display all of our used furniture.
DURING THESE 23 YEARS WE HAVE ENJOYED STEADY GROWTH
FOR WHICH WE ARE INDEED GRATEFUL. I WISH TO TAKE THIS OP
PORTUNITY TO THANK EVERYONE WHO HAS PLAYED A PART IN
OUR SUCCESS.
LAWSON FURNITURE CO.
* t-