University of South Carolina Libraries
sjj kjiucsi mernouisr vnurvne» in wvinrui The early history of the Meth odist Church In Newberry Co unty has not been preserved with any degree of accuracy, except In a few instances, be cause Mehodism was not in troduced into the States by Immigration from Europe.Asin the case of the Lutheran and Presbyterian Churches but by the labors of itinerant prea chers who organized churches in private houses, and who served large numbers of prea ching places and moved annually. Then the early churches had no record except classbooks for societies; hence we have lost much of the valuable history of Methodism in the first half cen tury of its existence in this county. The first Methodist society ' in Newberry County could not have been organized sooner than 1784. For the next 36 years the upper part of the state was served by the Broad River Cir cuit (extending from Dutch Fork to Pacolet). Saluda River Cir cuit (attending churches on the Saluda Side); Bush River Cir cuit, and Enoree Circuit. In 1G20 the Newberry Circuit was formed. From the beginning in 1784, Newberry had enjoyed the ministerial service of such leading preachers as James Foster and Stephen Johnson. Bishop Asbury often preached in Newberry District, as did Bishops Coke and Whatcoat. According to George L. Summer Sr. in his book “New berry County, South Carolina Historical and Genealogical* New Hope Church was organized about the yeair, 1795. It is pro bably one of the oldest Metho dist Churches in the central portionof the state. The church is locflbd about 5 miles north of Pop|rla in Newberry Cou nty. It is said that the first meetings were held near Billy Lakes’ Spring under a large pine. The first building was a small cabin which was on a site about 2 miles from where the present church stands. Lar ter the group moved to the present site where a frame church was built in 1831. Steps hewn from a large rock where the ladies climbed onto their horses still stand on the church property. In the year 1799 or 1800, Salem Methodist Church on Second Creek was organized near the home of the late Fe lix Asbury Graham (now Earl Grahan). Salem and New Hope churches merged in the year 1835. (Some records differ and say the merger took place in 1801 or 1809, but Mrs. Sum mer and Mr. O'Neal in his "Annals of Newberry* say about 1835). Family names connected with the early church were Cromer, Kinard, Graham, Adams, Hughey, Crooks, Sligh, Hentz, Hatton, Lane, Glymph, Wicker, Setzler, Wood, Lake, Bishop, Thompson, and others. New Hope Church was or ganized by the Rev. Nathan Boyd, son of John Boyd of Union District, (a Revolution War Patriot and soldier). Rev. Nathan Boyd, a leading spirit in the early history of the church, lived in the community where he was married in this county. He and his wife were of the ole-time Methodist type. Rev. Nathan Boyd’s son, Mark M. Boyd, from the New Hope Community exerted a great in fluence on the moral and spir itual life of Newberry County. His record was without a blot or stain and he was proud of the fact that he had three sons who were members of the South Carolina Conference. So as pre achers, the name Boyd con tinued for a whole century in Newberry County. Dr. J.W. Lee went out into the ministry from New Hope Church. He labored a number cf years, first in the South Carolina Conference and later in the North Carolina Con ference. Newberry County has given the church many Metho dist preachers in the old days. Some who were connected with New Hope Church at sometime or another were: J.W. Lee, J. M. Boyd, G.M. Boyd, D.P. Boyd, J.B. Traywick, H. W. Whitaker, D.D. Dantzler, andM. M. Brabham. On July 22,1890 J.M. Wicker, surveyor, at the request of Job L. Hughey and Silas Cromer, laid off A lot containing 2 acres of land owned by Mrs. Reb ecca Cromer on which New Hope Church now stands. On August 12, 1891 Mrs. RebeccaCromer, in consideration of $5.00 paid by S.J. Cromer, W.H. Setzler and J.L. Hughey, Trustees of New Hope Church ofProsperity Circuit of the Methodist Ep iscopal Church, South, sold and released to the trustees of New Hope these two acres bounded on all sides by land owned by herself. The property was to be used, kept, maintained and disposed of, as a place of divine worship for the use of the ministry and membership of the Methodist Church. The property surrounding the church today is owned by Mrs. Bernice Suber. It is not known what happened to the New Hope Church build ing of 1831, but the present church building was erected in 1901 or 1902. At the Conference of 1889 Prosperity Circuit was set up, consisting of Prosperity, Zion, Mt. Pleasant, and New Hope. J.B. Traywick was app ointed pastor for 1890-92 and D. D. Dantzler was appointed for 1893. In 1892 there were fourteen Methodist Churches in the co unty, divided into four pastor al charges, and four parson ages: one located in the town of Newberry, one at Ebenezer, one at Prosperity(where New Hope’s preacher lived) and one at Kinards. At that time there were 1500 members in the white churches. In the year 1895 an Anniver sary Service was held in the New Heme Church. It was a form of Centennial Celebration and several of the Ruling Elders were present As far back as me records show that I can findthese were ministers serving our ar ea, Cokesbury District: 1870 -A.J. Cautiin, Pastor’s salary for the Newberry Cir cuit was only $1,323.00. 1871- A.P.Avant; 1872- H.W. Whitaker; 1873- D.D. Dantzler; 1877- M.M. Boyd; 1878-79 - W.P.Meadors- the 93rdSession of the S.C. Annual Conference was held at Newberry at the Methodist Episcopal Church, South on Dec. 11-16. 1880- J.W. Kelly, J.S. Porter. 1881- Appointments: A.J. St okes, Thomas M. White, J.C. Counts- Supply. 1882- A.J. St okes, J.W, Neely, J.C. Cluntc- Supply; 1883-M, Brown, W.H. Hodges; 1884- M.Brown, G.R. Whitaker for Newberry Circuit (included Zion, New Chapel, Trinity, MT. Plesant, New Hope Ebenezer,Lebanon,Prosperity) 1885 -, Manning Brown, G.H. Waddell ; 1886- M.M. Brabham, J.N. Steadman; 1887-88- M.M. Brabham, A.W. Attaway; 1889- M.M. Brabham,H.C. Mouzon; 1890- J.B. Trauwick; 1891-92 J.B Trauwick; 1893- D.D. Dant zler: 1894-95-D. TiUer; 1896- 97-98- E.G. Price; 1899- 1900- W.H.Arial; 1901- W.B. Whar ton; 1902-03-G.R.Shaffer;1904 1905- J. K.Mc Cain; 1906-07- 08-09- H.W. Whitaker; 1910- 13- S.C. Morris(Prosperity and Zion pulled out- New Hope went to Broad River Circuit- On April 15,1914 D.W.Kinard, R. P.Cromer, John W. Kinard, J.P. Adams and F.A. Graham, Trustees for New Hope and Broad River Circuit and G.A. Cromer and M.J. Smith,Trust ees for Mt Pleasant jointly and severly accepted $500 as payment in full for their part out of the Prosperity Circuit Parsonage. On Sept. 18,1914, Mrs. Eva J. Shealy of Pomariasoldtothe trustees of New Hope , Mt Pleasant and Morris Chapel M. E. Church, South (Morris Cha pel having been organized around the year, 1913) o fthe S. C. Conference, Broad River Circuit, Cokeibury District, a lot of land in Pomaria contain ing l/2 acra more or less fronted o n Folk Street on the East and bounded on all other sides by land owned by Thomas A. Setzler, James Setzler and Ben Setzler fof parsonage pro perty for $1200. Mrs. Eva Sh ealy bought this property on April 22,1913 when it was sold or auctioned fe court for $850. It has before belonged to Po maria Oil abd Manufacturing Company. Dee. 1913-Dec 1915- D. Pettus Boyd; In 1914 the South Carolini Conference was m divided into S.C. and Upper S.C. Conferences. We came under the upper S.C. Conf. which held its first annual session in Spartanburg on Nov. 24, 1915. Dec. 1915-Dec. 1917-Wa. A. Duckworth -At the 1916 Con ference Lexington ForkCircuit was changed to Irmo Charge and Caper’s Chapel was put on the Broad River Circuit with Chapin. Mt. Pleasant, Mor ris Chapel and New Hope.Sc at one time the charge con sisted of five churches. At thq 1917 Greenville conference of the Broad River Charge was ch anged to Pomaria Circuit of which New Hope was a part. Dec. 1917 - Dec.1918- J.E. Strickland- In November 1918 Capers Chapel and Chapin chur ches were removed to the Irmo Circuit. Dec. 1918- 1920- J.M. Mason; Nov. 1920- Nov. 1921- D.C. Gregory (Supply) In Nov. 1921 Capers Chapel and Chapin Ch urches moved back to the Po maria Circuit. Nov. 1921- 22- H.H. Merritt (Supply) 1922-23- R.L.Dogett; 1923- 1926- J.H. Montgomery; Jan.9,1926- E.J. Adams, Oscar Graham, M.H. Kinard, F.A. Graham. A.W. Ad ams, W.J. Hentz, and J.F Cro mer, trustees of New Hope Church paid $5 toJ.B. Cromer, who gave a s a free gift a lot between present 2 acres and the road a strip of land 35 feet in width and 355 feet in length bounded by New Hope lot on one side, road on the other and on each end land belonging to J.B. Cromer.(Given so church lot can extend to new road).During 1925-26 Epworth League was organized with Miss Mary Hentz as president, but it was dis- banded during the year. 19$pf9-C.R. Anderson(Supply) At conference in 1929 Pomaria Charge was changed from Cokesbury to Greenwood Dis trict. 1929- 1930- S.O.Sutton served part of the year and George Duf fle completed the year. 1930- 1933 - T.D. George;1933- ’34-J.F. Ford’; ’34-37- C.N. Potts. At 1935 Conference Po maria Charge was placed in the Columbia District The pre sent pulpit Bible was donated by Mrs. Viola Adams Richard son,Dec. 9,1935. 1937-38-W.F. Johnson; 1938-40- A.E. Smith- In 1938 improvements were made at parsonage and shrub bery donated by Mrs. Mamie Wilson. Ladies Aid Society formed. Last conference re ported by A.E. Smith,March 24, 1940. During this period was the reuniting of the Methodist Church and Morris Chapel Ch urch went to the Southern and New Hope Churches.Rev. A.E. Smith was transferred from Po maria Circuit to Turbeville,S.C. by the Provisional Annual Conf erence of Southern Methodist Church on June 9,1940. This caused quite a struggle in the group of churches among the families and particularly New Hope, but it rose up in strength to re-establish the work it was set to do.1941-1950- Q.E. Gun ter- New Hope began slowly to make its comeback under the loving and faithful care of this preacher who served longer than any other pastor during its history. 1953- A. E. Becknell. May 1953-Pomaria Charge New Hope Charge un derwent a great change,when the trustees and membership entrusted direction for the work in the hands of Daniel Graham, who worked diligently at his job. The entry to the church was changed placing double-doors in the center of the inside wall of the vestibule, and the enlarg ing of the areas on either side of the vestibule, and the enlarg ing of the areas on either side of the vestibule to form two class rooms. The old gallery or bal cony^ served the slaves - Cannons, Glasgow, others- who were compelled to attend ser vices with the families of their owners) was dismantled and rebuilt to make two classrooms in that space making a total of 4 classrooms. The entire in side of the church was covered with sheet-rock on the walls and celotex on the ceiling, which was painted ivory. The con gregation rejoiced when servic es were held in the newly re novated church on Sunday, July 27. In the Summer of 1952 the IfYF bought 2 dozen church school chairs. 1953-1956-T.E. Derrick-1956 the MYF purchased brass al ter* are for foe church.1956- ’57-Weston Stevens; 1957-1960 Thomas P.Paston 1957- foe ch urch was undermined with brick. 1958- the church sign was erected of brick. Choir robes purchased around 1958. 1959- foe church was refloored with oak floors and in 1959 the aisle and around the altar was carpeted with a light pink car pet 1960-1966- John P. Griffith 1961- new church pews donated by Mr. andMrs. H.M. Hentz. 19- 63 the church voted to build an educational building which was surveyed off on January 1963. Carol Hipp of Newberry was the contractor with Bobby Morse supervising the work. The building Itself, of white frame construction to match the church, was completed in 1963 at $7,851.90 and was first used on June 20,1963. It con sisted of a large assembly area to be divided later into class rooms by folding doors), a kit chen, and two rest rooms. The Dedication Service was held on Sept. 22,1963 with Dr. Fran cis Cunningham District Supt presiding over the dedicatory service . During the next couple years the congregation worked faithfully to furnish the building with tables,chairs, and the kit chen equipment increasing the value considerably. A Hammond Organ was installed on Nov.9 1963 donated by Mr. and Mrs. H.M Hentz and the Dedication Service for the organ was held on January 26, 1964 with Mrs. Vernon Epting, Prosperity, S.C. as guest organist Hubert Gra ham donateed to the kitchen a coffee urn,Dec. 1963 and the Jacob Waites donated an organ light also on that day. O.Z. Kin ard donated a brass bell, church clock, pulpit stand light in Feb. 1964.1964- a barbecue pit and shed was built on the church grounds. The presentations and Dedi cations of Memorial s and Gifts was on August 23, 1964-.Bis- hop Cyrus B. Dawsey of Co lumbia, former missionary to Brazil was guest speaker. The children of the late J.B. and Ella L. Rawls presented the brass cross- The children of Mrs. Lula K.Wicker presented the pair of brass candlesticks Children of Mr. and Mrs. H. Livingston presented the pair of brass vases-Children of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Graham pre sented foe pair of brass offering plates. - Daniel Grahamjure- sented an engraved plated lect ern as a memorial to his fefoer, Felix A. Graham- The J.F. Yar boroughs and Daniel Graham presented a blond-colored oak Altar in the education building. The MYF presented the brass Bible stand for the Altar in the educational building. 1964- Miss Mary Helen Graham and Mrs. Annie Dickert donated a Bible as a memorial to W.A. Hentz for the altar in the educational building. 1965 - O. Z. Kinard completed a 159 foot well on foe church property on which be donated $190- Total cost was $640. Hand rails were installed at church entrance- 1965. Also in 1965 the WSCS purchased draperies for foe educational building at a cost of $300.In the same year the church roof was redone. 1966- foe instal lation of the new frosted-glass windows in the church was com pleted at a cost of $1,143.56. Many of these were donated by individuals and others. The first church cemetery Committe was appointed on the 5th of June, 1966 consisting of O.Z. Kinard, Henry Livingston Sr., and Jacob Waites. A cem etery is near the site of the first church. On June 26, 1966 the congre gation honored the Griffith fam ily and presented to them a chair as a farewell gift The MYF presented him with a desk pen and pencil set Rev. Griffith had spent 6 years at New Hope, the second longest stay for a preacher at our church. He received into the church 30 persons, 18 by transfer of letter and 13 by confirmation. He also baptized 26 persons infoe New Hope congregation.1966- 1967- Charles M. Rector,formerly of Whitmire.On March, 1967, the Official Board unanimously vot ed to unite with Capers Chapel and Chapin churches and be come known as the Pomaria Methodist Charge, releasing ML Plesant who desired to go station in 1967. 1967- Albert' L. Cox; In January 1968 the WSCS purchased the first com plete par ament set using all the liturgical colors for the church year seasons. In August of 1968 a lot was purchased from Mrs. J.C. Berley for $1,200 on which a new parsonage was to be built 1968- the Clyde Miller family purchased the old par sonage. 1969- Pastor and Mrs. Albert Cox moved into a new brick veneer parsonage cost ing $21,000,including 6 rooms and a pastors study. In October 1968 Earl Graham and Henry Hentz shared the cost of new walkways at the church. On January 1970 Earl Graham purchased the old New Hope Zion School property con sisting of 4 acres for $2,000 from St Matthews and Bethle hem Lutheran Churches and New Hope Methodist Church. Pgsta? Co* he* j the church 6 members by Letter Transfer and 13 members by confirmation. We can give him credit for foe construction of the new parsonage. The present frustees of the church are: Daniel Graham, Lindsey Livingston and Mc Donald Rawls and Thomas Liv- ingston(parsonage). The charge now consists of New Hope, Capers Chapel and Chapin Churches, known as foe Pomaria Methodist Charge in the Columbia District with the Rev. David Reese as District SqpL and Dr. Paul Hardin, Jr. as Bishop of the S.C. Con- re ference, Southeastern Jurisdic tion. We, at New Hope, do not have a beautiful modern structure, but we are proud of its very historic meaning and vaiue-for it bolds many enjoyable mem ories for foe eldest of our ccn- regatton. kbove history compiled over a period of 7 years by Mrs. Boo- neHe a Yarborough). * * ♦ WelConfe Friends And Visitors To Our County During Our Tricen- tenniol Celebration. m- **- r We Are Glad To Be A Part Of Progressive Newberry County And Extend Congratulations To South Carolina On Their 300th Anniversary •A* ‘ m ■ YiWil ^ PURCELL'S Main Street Newberry. S. C. Chevrolet We Are Proud To Be A Part Of Newberry County. 4 CAKOUMA urriMMML Impala Sport Sedan We've Come A Long Way - - Gl» And Extend Best Wishes To South Carolina On Its 300th Anniversary MtoWr-*** Lvmtryi TUGGLE CHEVROLET-OLDS, INC NEWBERRY, S.C. Columbia 765-/775' Newberry 276-1610