University of South Carolina Libraries
On Sunday, July K), 1853, some Lutherans and friends In the vll- l*g» of Newberry met in the Court House for worship. The service was conducted by the Rev. Thaddeus S. Boinest, who was then serving the Bethlehem Congregation near Pomarlh. He had often visited in Newberry and had discussed with Dr. 0. B. Ifayer, Major Henry Summer and Matthias Barre the or ganisation of a congregation in Newberry. On that Sunday a congregation was organised with 21 members enrolled and the name “Luther Chapel* was chosen. On a lot donated by Nathan Hunter on Boundary St opposite the terminus of Mc- Klbben Street a wooden build ing of Gothic style with steeple and beU was completed Decem ber 1, 1854. Communion ware (two patens given by the Juve nile Sewing Society of St John's Church in Charleston, and a Summer) used at the time of the church dedication on December 10,1854 are still in useatCom- munlons in the Church of the Re deemer. 1 Alter PastorBoinest resign ed in 1856 to join the Newberry CoUege faculty the small con gregation was served for the next 17 years by pastors who were either Newberry College presidents or professors or who also served other congrega tions. Several of these persons came from then-distant sec tions of the nation, such as Pen nsylvania, Maryland, and Vir ginia. The first full-time pastor was the Rev. H. W. Kuhns of Omaha, Nebraska. During his five year pastorate, nr irked by much membership growth, a parsonage adjacent to the Chur ch was built, and after 97 years it is still standing. In 1896, in the pastorate of Dr. Junius Fox, the congrega tions second house of worship was built at the corners of Boundary, Wilson, and John stone Streets were the present church building now stands. The second building was constructed at a cost of $14,500 and was of Romanesque architecture, fea turing arched doors and import ed stained glass windows, a high-vaulted ceiling above an octagonally shaped interior, and the *1854" bell in the tower at the northwest corner. At that time, when the membership was kV about 300, tlie congregation ch anged to the present name of •Lutheran Church of The Re deemer." While Dr. William L. Sea- brook was pastor the first pipe organ was installed in 1903 and in 1906 there was built on the southwest corner of the church property a second parsonage which since 1962 has served as a Parish House for varied pur poses. The present parsonage on Evans Circle was purchased in 1962 at a cost of $25,000. Und er the pastoral leadership first first of Dr. C. A. Freed and la ter of Dr. J. C. Perry there was added to the second church building in 1923-24 a Sunday School annex at a cost of $40, 000, to meet the needs of the growing congregation and also to provide more seating ca pacity for the baccalaureate and other occasions of the closely- associated Newberry College constituency. In 1951 the congregation in augurated a long-range pro gram for improved and new facilities for education and for worship. The present Education Four members of the con gregation built two missions in Newberry: Mayer Memorial in 1900 byDr.O. B. Mayer in mem ory of their father; Summer Memorial in 1910 by the three Summer brothers in memorial of their mother. When a new mission. Faith Lutheran, was organised in 1961, Redeemer tr ansferred fifty-four members at that time and others since then. At the time of the congrega tion’s centennial celebration in 1953 there were recognized M sons and daughters of the con gregation who had gone into full time church work at home and abroad. These Included some who were called to work of spec ial importance and prominence, including Miss Mary Lou Bo wers who in 1914 went as the first woman missionary to Jap an. In 1950 the congregation be gan a program of assuming part of missionary salary sup port which now includes two overseas missionary pastors. During World War n the mili tary service flag of the Church of the Redeemer carried up to 100 stars, including three gold starts. The pastor during that period, Dr. E. Bryan Keisler, was granted a leave of absence for several years to serve as a military chaplain. For supply pastoral ministry during that period and at several earlier periods the congregation elect ed Dr. R. A. Goodman of New berry College the * Pastor Emeritus.” Many clergy and lay members of the Church of the Redeemer have been elected to service on important boards and agencies of the South Carolina Synod, and also of the general Lutheran bodies to which this congrega tion has belonged in various periods of its history. All of these relationships have given to the congregation a rich heritage of leadership and a wide range of membership, which together tiave produced generous response of the vari ous causes and campaigns of the congregation, the college, the community, other institu tions of education and of mercy and the general church. hi common with congrega tions of other denominations in Newberry City and County, population shifts, migration of youth to larger communities for economic and professional op portunities, and the general social and religious unrest in recent years have presented problems for growth and for program. But the Church at the Reedeemer and Its present past or face forward with determina tion to continue toward fulfill-- iftent of mission and ministry. Following Is a list of the pastors of the congregation: Thaddeus Boinest 1854-56; WU- liam Berley 1856-1858; J. A. Brown, D. D. 1858-60; Theo- phllus Stork, D. D. 1859-60; J. P. Smeltzer, D.D.1861-68; Jacob Hawkins, D.D. supplied in 1869; H. S. Wlngard 1870-1872; H. W. Kuhns, D.D. 1873-1878; S. P. Hughes 1879-1881; J. Steck, D. D. 1882-83; A. D. Mc- Mackln 1885-87; S. C. Schaef fer, D. D. 1887-92; Junius B. Fox, Ph. D.. D. D. 1893-1899; M. G. G. Scherer, HD. 1899- 1902; W. L. Seabrocl, a D. 1902-08; EdwardFulemrlder, D. D. 1908-1920; Chariest. Freed, D. a 1921-1925; J. C. leery, D. D. 1925-1931; R. A. Goodman, D. D., supplied at various times from 1930-1957; E. B. Keisler, D. a 1931-1946; Paul E. Mon roe, Jr., S.T.M. 1947-1958; H. A. McCullough, Jr., D. D. 1959- SOUTH CAROLINA TRICENTENNIAL SOUTH CAROLINA TRKCNTENNIAL >5 $ 1 I WE EXTEND BEST WISHES to Newberry County and South Carolina We core happy to to be a part of Progressive Newberry County and extend Best Wishes to South Carolina on their 300th Birthday. Highway Surfacing Company 6l Roadbuilders. Inc. | % IB y. S: V. $ 8 .5: St Pauls Road Prosperity, S. C & . m: -..fil ■ To Be A Part Of Progressive Newberry County mm • > . M I AND EXTEND - BEST WISHES TO SOUTH CAROLINA on the celebration of their 300th BIRTHDAY M7D 1970 We Also Extend A Welcome To All Visitors To Our County During Tri- Centennial Week! SOUTH CAROLINA TRICENTENNIAL I Kirk Pontiac - Cadillac Co. 2100 Nance Street Newberry, S. C. pastorate of the Rev. Paul E. Monroe, Jr. Prperty for the church parking lot was purchas ed in 1959 for $10,000. The present Church building was completed in 1965 during the present pastorate of Dr. Henry A. McCullough, Jr., at a cost of about $405,000 for building and furnishings and pipe organ. During the 19 months of con struction of the new Church the congregation worshipped in the auditorium of the Boundary Street School. When the 1896 church and the 1923-24 annex were dismantled in 1964 due to construction of the new church the stained glass windows (which were memo rials to ministers and laymen who were early founders) and the bell were retained in stor age for future use. Also re tained were the baptismal font, the organ chimes, and other furnishings and equipment suit able for continuing use. Of wide spread interest was the old cor nerstone and metal box from the second church containing ear lier and then-current historical items, some ofwhich were badly deteriorated and others of which were placed in the new church cornerstone box, or stored in the records vault. During these 117 years the Church of the Redeemer has been inseparably related to Newberry College (and for a few years to the Theological Seminary included there), to the Newberry Community, and to the larger life and work of the Lutheran Church. From thebe- ginning the congregation has had college presidents and pro fessors among its pastors and many college-related families and students among it mem bers and constituency. This congregation has con tributed many leaders of the religious, civic, educational; cultural and political develop ments in the Newberry Com munity and far beyond. Concern for the larger interests of the general Church was early evid enced by pastors and laymen in the publication of catechisms, a Book of Worship, of Church papers such as the former Lu theran Visitor (later the Luthe ran Church Visitor), and in the formation of missionary soc ieties both local and state-wide. One of Redeemer’spastors, Dr. M. G. G. Scherer later became president of the United Synod of The South and was elected as the first secretary of the United Lu theran Church in America at its merger in 1918. t ff Standanl had been in businessin 1670... WHEN THE FIRST SETTLERS CAME TO SOUTH CAROLINA, AND SOMEONE HAD SAVED 100 POUNDS (THAT’S $240 IN 1970 MONEY), TODAY HIS MIDLANDS HEIRS WOULD BE LIVING IT UP WITH AT LEAST $1,880,515.89*! Since Standard came along in 1908, thousands of people have saved millions of dollars and earned a tremendous amount of interest. But 1670 and 1908 are history now. What’s most important is the future. Make it secure for your family by saving regularly at Standard, South Carolina’s largest savings and loan association. * Kiftured at 3% per annum, compounded quarterly for 300 years. I ASSOCIATION NEWBERRY-COLUMBIA*ORANGEE NEWBERRY OFFICE 1117 BOYCE ST HOME OFFICE: 1211 WASHINGTON ST.. COLUMBIA