University of South Carolina Libraries
. : . 1 F * " > • Imkri r fi- el Lutheran Church Organized In School Building In the summer of 1865 ]ust alter the close of the Confe derate War, Mr. David B. Ki- nard organized a Sunday School about one and one-half miles south of the present church building in a patch of wood oiwned by Mr. J.T. P. Crosson, who had hauled lumber to this location with the purpose of building a house. Mr. Kinard and Mr. Crosson used some of this lumber to make seats for those attending to sit in the shade of the trees. After the summer season was over the school was moved a short distance across the hill in a little house that Mr. Crosson had built which was later used as a public school known as the Dirt Dauber School, one of the first public schools In Newberry County. A small public school had been organized In this section and in 1881 the patrons of this school bought a piece of land from Mr.W.M. Bobb about three hundred yards north of the pre sent church and built a fairly good house that was named the R idge Road Academy. Soon after the school was built, the Sun day School was moved there also under the leadership of Mr. Jefferson Quattlebaumwlth increased membership. The Rev. J.A. Sligh, D.D., became aware of the Christian work being done in this community. He preached to them occasion ally and under his leadership a congregation was organized Sept. 17, 1886, in the school building with forty members ri mostly transferring from St Paul and Colony. In the fell of 1886, work was started and the Cornerstone was laid and the church was com pleted and on Oct. 13, 1888 the congregation dedicated the church free of debt, naming the congregation Bachman Chapel Lutheran Church. The Dedica tion sermon was preached by the Rev. J.C. Bowles who was assisted by Rev. J.A. Sligh, D.D., The Rev. Sligh continued to serve the congregation until 1890. During that year he re signed and It seems that the congregation was vacant until 1891. In 1891, the Rev. W.A. Julian took charge and served until 1892. He was followed by the Rev. C.P. Boozer, who served for one year. to SOUTH CAROLINA on her 300th ANNIVERSARY ifW < ■ - m mm; . > ■ m m j§ x> SB is. - ' ■ ■ ^ m? tm : 1 Wit&. K?- * »:■. r.-"' mM ... It has been our pleasure to serve the people of Newberry County over the years and we look forward to many years of service in the future - B. C MOORE & SONS, INC Mean Street Newberry, S. G. West End Baptist Church Was Organized In April 1887 •'M The Rev. J.D. Bowles was called in 1883. He served until 1894. The Rev. J.A.Sligh,D.D., came in the second time and served one year, to 1896 the Rev. C.P. Boozer began prea ching at Bachman Chapel the second time and resisted In 1899. He was followed by the Rev. H.P. Counts, who served for two years. The next pastor was the Rev. P.H.E. Derrick who took charge in 1901 and served until 1905. During that year he resigned and the Rev. J.C.Wessinger took up the work. The Rev. Wesslnger served until 1908. The Rev. P.H.E. Derrick in 1908 began preach ing for the second time and continued for one year. In 1909 Bachman Chapel con gregation passed into the St Paul's charge. The Rev. J.A. Sligh, D.D. took charge for foe third time but on account of his advanced age he was ass isted by the Rev. Y. Von A. Riser. The Rev. Sligh contin ued for one year leaving the wook in 1911. The Rev. Riser served alone and continued until 1915. The Rev. J.B. Harmon took charge in 1915 and served for one year. He succeeded in 1916 by the Rev. S.P. Koon, who served the congregation un til Nov. 1930. Under his leader ship progress was made in the educational and spiritual devel opment of the congregation, foe membership now totals about one hundred thirty. In 1925, a movement began to enlarge the church. Plans were made and work begun to build a wing on the East side of the church that increased the seating capacity to about two hundred people. The Corner stone was laid on Sept 28, 1927. The Rev. J.L Cromer was the speaker, as sisted by Pastor Koon. The Dedication service was held Oct 9, 1927 conducted by the Rev. H.A. Black, D.D., Presi dent of the Lutheran Synod of S.C. The Rev. Glenn S. Eckard became pastor June 3, 1931. and remained until June 15, 1935. The Rev. J.A. Kelsler, Jr., became the pastor Sept I, 1935 and served until Dec. 15, 1937. Under his leader ship two Sunday School rooms were added. The Rev. J. E. Roof became pastor April 12,1938 and served until August 15,1947* He served with dignity i During his pastorate, the chancel and choir were renov ated. The Rev. J.L. Ballentlne became pastor Sept 1, 1948 and served until Feb. 12,1952 The next pastor was foe Rev. J. L. Drafts who began his ser vices on the third Sunday of April, 1951. During the year of 1953 at a congregational meeting foe decision was made to begin contributing toward a building fond. The flrstServlces were held on the second Sunday April 13, 1958 and the Dedica tion was held March 27, 1960. The Sermon was by the Rev. Dr. Karl W. Kinard, President of the South Carolina Synod. Also participating in the service was Dr. L. Grady Cooper, Rev. C.L. Richardson, and Rev. J.L. Drafts under whose leadership the building was begun and Seminarian H. W. Dowd who was to become pastor on June 1, 1960. Pastor Dowd served until Nov. 1, 1962. Early in the year 1963, the congregation voted to break from St. Paul Lutheran Church, build a -parsonage, and get a full time pastor. The Rev. William H. Link became pastor March 1, 1964 and is serving until today. The parsonage was dedicated Aug. 9, 1964. Since 1964 other additions have been made, some are office building, side walks, and air condition in the nave of the church. The officers of the church and council are: The Rev. William H. Link, Presi dent, Mr. Wyman Cook Vice President, Mr. Donny Sligh, Secretary, Mr. Virgil Kinard, Treasurer. * * * Kinards Named For Settler Kinards is located about two and one half miles south of Joanna and is close to the Lau rens County line, on the CN&L Railroad. The name of foe town came from a pioneer settler of that community, Martin Kinard, who moved from the upper Dutch Fork several years before the War Between the States. He became a large land owner, owning all foe land around foe town in both counties. Kinards was once the home of a large school of high stand ards, The Pagevllle Academy. The School was closed at foe time of foe War Between foe States and never resumed work. * * * lAngthy and de- »in the! The West End Baptist Church was organized cm April 10,1887, as foe Second Baptist Church of Newberry. A council from the First Baptist Church of New berry and the Bush River Bap tist Church met with a group of believers in Christ and organiz ed themselves into a Baptist Church. There were 22 charter members and meetings were held in the Union Chapel. On September 4, 1887, the Church was admitted into the Reedy River Baptist Association. This was five months after its or ganization. Rev. J. D. Huggins was called as first pastor. In 1899 with approximately The greenhouses of Carter- Holmes Orchids is one of New berry's most Interesting indus tries. The firm is located three miles south of Newberry on foe old Waters Ferry road. Here, open topublicview,isone of foe largest collections of hy brid orchids grown in this sec tion of foe country. Orchids are shipped all over the United States and to foreign countries. The house adjacent, •Men denhall" is a reconstruction of the foundations of a house erect ed probably prior to 1820. It is the residence of Mr. and Mrs. William C. Carter. The house is not open for tour, but visi tors are welcome in the green houses. 150 members, tte first building was erected and the name was changed to foe West End Baptist Church. In foe summer of 1916, that building was struck by lightning and was destroyed by fire. It was rebuilt and dedi cated in November, 1916. On April 10 1937, the church celebrated the 50th anniversary of its organization. In 1947 the Mill Company sold the houses to the employees and the parsonage was purchas ed for $2,500. In October, 1953, the mem bers felt a need for more ade quate facilities and appointed a building committee to study plans which would be more suit able for present and future needs. Plans were made and a loan was secured, and on May 30 1954, the last service was held in the old building before it was torn down to be replaced by the new church. Work was begun in June, 1954. During foe eight months in which the new building was under construc tion, foe congregation held ser vices in the West End Grammar School, Through the years of its exis tence, many of its members have rendered (Heated service in foe Kingdom of God. One of foe young men of foe eburch, Donald E. Cook, was called into the Gospelmio- istry and was ordained by foe church in 1954. He is now serv ing as Associate Professor of New Testament at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, Wake Forest, N. C. Through foe years 29 pastors have served West End Baptist Church. They are as follows: Bev. J. D. Huggins, 1888-1889; Rev. J. C. Rhoden, 1889-1890; Rev. J. S. West, 1890; Rev. W. T. Smith, 1891-1892; Rev. G. S. Daugherty, 1892-1893; Rev.S. J. Riddle, 1894-1895; Rev. Thomas A. Cample, 1895; Rev. J. P. Mahon, 1896-1899; Rev. W.S. B. Ford, 1900; Rev. W. M. Prun- son, 1900-1901; Rev. N. N Bur ton, 1901-1905; Rev. L, B. White, 1906- 1907; Rev. J. F. McGill, 1907- 1909; Rev. T. T. Todd, 1910; Rev. J. R. Green, 1910; Rev. L B. White, 1911-1912; Rev. N. A. Hemrick, 1912-1913; Rev. J. N. Booth, 1913-1915; Rev. H. W. Stone, 1916-1917; Rev. George M. Sexton, 1918; Rev. J. A. An derson, 1919-1920; Rev. J. E. Meng, 1920-1922; Rev. Charles A. Thomas, 192?-1927; Rev. E. E. Hite, 1927-1933; Rev. E. O. Edwards, 1934-1936; Rev. B. F. Rogers, 1936-1942; Rev. H. W. Long, 1942-1948; Rev. Y. Z. Gordy, 1948-1952; Rev. J. Ed. Taylor, 1952-1957; Rev. Ralph E. Rhyne, 1957. The resent membership of the church is 325. In 1961 the church voted to install air-conditioning. In 1966 the church erected a new par sonage. Present officers are: Rev. Ralph E. Rhyne, Pastor; Don ald Layton, Clerk; Mrs. Jack Senn, Treasurer; Henry Dod- gen, Sunday School Director; Casper Berry, Church Mem ber Training Director; Mrs. Celia Dodgen, WMU Director; Donald Layton, Brotherhood Di rector. Mrs. Fay Bouknight, Organist; Mrs. Celia Dodgen, Pianist; Mrs. C. A. Shealy, Jr., Choir Director; and Mrs. Cleo Leopard, Librarian. NEWS-SUN-CITIZEN TRICENTENNIAL EDITION Newberry County. S. C., November 12,1970 / r. ! • T V - ( i^T 1 WHIUMR IfUNBUlMM |One of the oldest funeral establishments in the Nation Formerly LeavelTs Funeral Home Established 1847 0 UNA 7* /( C/5 We Have Served Newberry County And South Carolina For The Past 123 Years. We Extend Best Wishes To South Carolina On Her 300th Birthday Whitaker Funeral Home 16701970 ROY D. WHITAKER College Street MRS. ROY D. WHITAKER Newberry, S. C. m i : J