The sun. [volume] (Newberry, S.C.) 1937-1972, November 12, 1970, Image 17
. : . 1
F * " >
• Imkri
r
fi-
el Lutheran Church
Organized In School Building
In the summer of 1865 ]ust
alter the close of the Confe
derate War, Mr. David B. Ki-
nard organized a Sunday School
about one and one-half miles
south of the present church
building in a patch of wood
oiwned by Mr. J.T. P. Crosson,
who had hauled lumber to this
location with the purpose of
building a house. Mr. Kinard
and Mr. Crosson used some
of this lumber to make seats
for those attending to sit in
the shade of the trees. After
the summer season was over
the school was moved a short
distance across the hill in a
little house that Mr. Crosson
had built which was later used
as a public school known as
the Dirt Dauber School, one
of the first public schools In
Newberry County.
A small public school had
been organized In this section
and in 1881 the patrons of this
school bought a piece of land
from Mr.W.M. Bobb about three
hundred yards north of the pre
sent church and built a fairly
good house that was named the
R idge Road Academy. Soon after
the school was built, the Sun
day School was moved there
also under the leadership of
Mr. Jefferson Quattlebaumwlth
increased membership. The
Rev. J.A. Sligh, D.D., became
aware of the Christian work
being done in this community.
He preached to them occasion
ally and under his leadership
a congregation was organized
Sept. 17, 1886, in the school
building with forty members
ri
mostly transferring from St
Paul and Colony.
In the fell of 1886, work was
started and the Cornerstone was
laid and the church was com
pleted and on Oct. 13, 1888
the congregation dedicated the
church free of debt, naming the
congregation Bachman Chapel
Lutheran Church. The Dedica
tion sermon was preached by
the Rev. J.C. Bowles who was
assisted by Rev. J.A. Sligh,
D.D., The Rev. Sligh continued
to serve the congregation until
1890. During that year he re
signed and It seems that the
congregation was vacant until
1891. In 1891, the Rev. W.A.
Julian took charge and served
until 1892. He was followed by
the Rev. C.P. Boozer, who
served for one year.
to SOUTH CAROLINA
on her
300th ANNIVERSARY
ifW
< ■ -
m
mm;
. > ■
m
m
j§ x> SB
is. -
'
■ ■ ^
m?
tm
: 1
Wit&.
K?- *
»:■.
r.-"'
mM
...
It has been our pleasure to
serve the people of Newberry
County over the years and we
look forward to many years of
service in the future -
B. C MOORE & SONS, INC
Mean Street
Newberry, S. G.
West End Baptist Church
Was Organized In April 1887
•'M
The Rev. J.D. Bowles was
called in 1883. He served until
1894. The Rev. J.A.Sligh,D.D.,
came in the second time and
served one year, to 1896 the
Rev. C.P. Boozer began prea
ching at Bachman Chapel the
second time and resisted In
1899. He was followed by the
Rev. H.P. Counts, who served
for two years. The next pastor
was the Rev. P.H.E. Derrick
who took charge in 1901 and
served until 1905. During that
year he resigned and the Rev.
J.C.Wessinger took up the work.
The Rev. Wesslnger served
until 1908. The Rev. P.H.E.
Derrick in 1908 began preach
ing for the second time and
continued for one year.
In 1909 Bachman Chapel con
gregation passed into the St
Paul's charge. The Rev. J.A.
Sligh, D.D. took charge for foe
third time but on account of
his advanced age he was ass
isted by the Rev. Y. Von A.
Riser. The Rev. Sligh contin
ued for one year leaving the
wook in 1911. The Rev. Riser
served alone and continued until
1915. The Rev. J.B. Harmon
took charge in 1915 and served
for one year. He succeeded in
1916 by the Rev. S.P. Koon,
who served the congregation un
til Nov. 1930. Under his leader
ship progress was made in the
educational and spiritual devel
opment of the congregation, foe
membership now totals about
one hundred thirty. In 1925,
a movement began to enlarge
the church.
Plans were made and work
begun to build a wing on the
East side of the church that
increased the seating capacity
to about two hundred people.
The Corner stone was laid on
Sept 28, 1927. The Rev. J.L
Cromer was the speaker, as
sisted by Pastor Koon. The
Dedication service was held
Oct 9, 1927 conducted by the
Rev. H.A. Black, D.D., Presi
dent of the Lutheran Synod of
S.C.
The Rev. Glenn S. Eckard
became pastor June 3, 1931.
and remained until June 15,
1935. The Rev. J.A. Kelsler,
Jr., became the pastor Sept
I, 1935 and served until Dec.
15, 1937. Under his leader
ship two Sunday School rooms
were added.
The Rev. J. E. Roof became
pastor April 12,1938 and served
until August 15,1947* He served
with dignity i
During his pastorate, the
chancel and choir were renov
ated. The Rev. J.L. Ballentlne
became pastor Sept 1, 1948
and served until Feb. 12,1952
The next pastor was foe Rev.
J. L. Drafts who began his ser
vices on the third Sunday of
April, 1951. During the year of
1953 at a congregational
meeting foe decision was made
to begin contributing toward a
building fond. The flrstServlces
were held on the second Sunday
April 13, 1958 and the Dedica
tion was held March 27, 1960.
The Sermon was by the Rev.
Dr. Karl W. Kinard, President
of the South Carolina Synod.
Also participating in the service
was Dr. L. Grady Cooper, Rev.
C.L. Richardson, and Rev. J.L.
Drafts under whose leadership
the building was begun and
Seminarian H. W. Dowd who
was to become pastor on June
1, 1960. Pastor Dowd served
until Nov. 1, 1962.
Early in the year 1963, the
congregation voted to break
from St. Paul Lutheran Church,
build a -parsonage, and get
a full time pastor. The Rev.
William H. Link became pastor
March 1, 1964 and is serving
until today. The parsonage was
dedicated Aug. 9, 1964.
Since 1964 other additions
have been made, some are office
building, side walks, and air
condition in the nave of the
church. The officers of the
church and council are: The
Rev. William H. Link, Presi
dent, Mr. Wyman Cook Vice
President, Mr. Donny Sligh,
Secretary, Mr. Virgil Kinard,
Treasurer.
* * *
Kinards
Named
For Settler
Kinards is located about two
and one half miles south of
Joanna and is close to the Lau
rens County line, on the CN&L
Railroad.
The name of foe town came
from a pioneer settler of that
community, Martin Kinard, who
moved from the upper Dutch
Fork several years before the
War Between the States. He
became a large land owner,
owning all foe land around foe
town in both counties.
Kinards was once the home of
a large school of high stand
ards, The Pagevllle Academy.
The School was closed at foe
time of foe War Between foe
States and never resumed work.
* * *
lAngthy and de-
»in the!
The West End Baptist Church
was organized cm April 10,1887,
as foe Second Baptist Church of
Newberry. A council from the
First Baptist Church of New
berry and the Bush River Bap
tist Church met with a group of
believers in Christ and organiz
ed themselves into a Baptist
Church. There were 22 charter
members and meetings were
held in the Union Chapel. On
September 4, 1887, the Church
was admitted into the Reedy
River Baptist Association. This
was five months after its or
ganization. Rev. J. D. Huggins
was called as first pastor.
In 1899 with approximately
The greenhouses of Carter-
Holmes Orchids is one of New
berry's most Interesting indus
tries. The firm is located three
miles south of Newberry on
foe old Waters Ferry road.
Here, open topublicview,isone
of foe largest collections of hy
brid orchids grown in this sec
tion of foe country. Orchids are
shipped all over the United
States and to foreign countries.
The house adjacent, •Men
denhall" is a reconstruction of
the foundations of a house erect
ed probably prior to 1820. It
is the residence of Mr. and Mrs.
William C. Carter. The house
is not open for tour, but visi
tors are welcome in the green
houses.
150 members, tte first building
was erected and the name was
changed to foe West End Baptist
Church. In foe summer of 1916,
that building was struck by
lightning and was destroyed by
fire. It was rebuilt and dedi
cated in November, 1916.
On April 10 1937, the church
celebrated the 50th anniversary
of its organization.
In 1947 the Mill Company sold
the houses to the employees
and the parsonage was purchas
ed for $2,500.
In October, 1953, the mem
bers felt a need for more ade
quate facilities and appointed a
building committee to study
plans which would be more suit
able for present and future
needs. Plans were made and a
loan was secured, and on May
30 1954, the last service was
held in the old building before
it was torn down to be replaced
by the new church. Work was
begun in June, 1954. During foe
eight months in which the new
building was under construc
tion, foe congregation held ser
vices in the West End Grammar
School,
Through the years of its exis
tence, many of its members
have rendered
(Heated service in foe Kingdom
of God. One of foe young men
of foe eburch, Donald E. Cook,
was called into the Gospelmio-
istry and was ordained by foe
church in 1954. He is now serv
ing as Associate Professor of
New Testament at Southeastern
Baptist Theological Seminary,
Wake Forest, N. C.
Through foe years 29 pastors
have served West End Baptist
Church. They are as follows:
Bev. J. D. Huggins, 1888-1889;
Rev. J. C. Rhoden, 1889-1890;
Rev. J. S. West, 1890; Rev. W.
T. Smith, 1891-1892; Rev. G. S.
Daugherty, 1892-1893; Rev.S. J.
Riddle, 1894-1895; Rev. Thomas
A. Cample, 1895; Rev. J. P.
Mahon, 1896-1899; Rev. W.S. B.
Ford, 1900; Rev. W. M. Prun-
son, 1900-1901; Rev. N. N Bur
ton, 1901-1905; Rev. L, B. White,
1906- 1907; Rev. J. F. McGill,
1907- 1909; Rev. T. T. Todd, 1910;
Rev. J. R. Green, 1910; Rev. L
B. White, 1911-1912; Rev. N. A.
Hemrick, 1912-1913; Rev. J. N.
Booth, 1913-1915; Rev. H. W.
Stone, 1916-1917; Rev. George
M. Sexton, 1918; Rev. J. A. An
derson, 1919-1920; Rev. J. E.
Meng, 1920-1922; Rev. Charles
A. Thomas, 192?-1927; Rev. E.
E. Hite, 1927-1933; Rev. E. O.
Edwards, 1934-1936; Rev. B. F.
Rogers, 1936-1942; Rev. H. W.
Long, 1942-1948; Rev. Y. Z.
Gordy, 1948-1952; Rev. J. Ed.
Taylor, 1952-1957; Rev. Ralph
E. Rhyne, 1957.
The resent membership of
the church is 325.
In 1961 the church voted to
install air-conditioning. In 1966
the church erected a new par
sonage.
Present officers are: Rev.
Ralph E. Rhyne, Pastor; Don
ald Layton, Clerk; Mrs. Jack
Senn, Treasurer; Henry Dod-
gen, Sunday School Director;
Casper Berry, Church Mem
ber Training Director; Mrs.
Celia Dodgen, WMU Director;
Donald Layton, Brotherhood Di
rector. Mrs. Fay Bouknight,
Organist; Mrs. Celia Dodgen,
Pianist; Mrs. C. A. Shealy,
Jr., Choir Director; and Mrs.
Cleo Leopard, Librarian.
NEWS-SUN-CITIZEN TRICENTENNIAL EDITION
Newberry County. S. C., November 12,1970
/ r.
! • T
V -
(
i^T
1
WHIUMR
IfUNBUlMM
|One of the oldest funeral establishments in the Nation
Formerly LeavelTs Funeral Home
Established 1847
0 UNA 7* /(
C/5
We Have Served
Newberry County And
South Carolina For The
Past 123 Years.
We Extend Best Wishes To
South Carolina On Her 300th Birthday
Whitaker Funeral Home
16701970
ROY D. WHITAKER
College Street
MRS. ROY D. WHITAKER
Newberry, S. C.
m
i
: J