University of South Carolina Libraries
I Pomaria Lutheran Founded In 1910 Lewis Memorial Methodist Church Named In Honor Former Pastor In 1906, a Community Sun day School was organized at historic Bethel Academy by Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Long. “Mrs. Emmy”, (so named and affectionately known because of contraction of her two initials, M.E.), was a native of Simp- sonville whocame to Pomaria to live with her daughters, Mrs. James P. Setzler and John C. Aull, following the death of her husband. Motivated by Christian concern for her grandchildren as well as keen interest in child ren of all ages, this school was held that all might receive formal Bible training. From this beginning grew the need for a church at Pomaria, and on June 27, 1910 the Rev. John J. Long, pastor of Beth lehem Parish, completed the organization of Pomaria Lu theran Church with 24 charter members. The new church was In 1912, following several years of Sunday School classes in a local tenant house, the Rev. D. Pet Boyd organized the Oakland Methodist Church in a store building on Fair Ave nue. The church was organized with thirty members and met in the store building for sev- seral years, the Pastors being supplied by nearby Methodist charges. In those days Method ist ministers seldom remained at a charge for more than one year, and the Oakland church was served by the Reverends A.M. Gardner, Gobe Smith, B.L. Knight, andW.R. Bouknight dur ing the first four years of or ganization. In 1916, under the leadership of the Rev. Mr. Bouknight, a church buildingwas constructed by the Oakland Mill Company to be used by both Baptists Homes On Tour This house was first locat ed at the top of College Street, erected there about 1825 by John Caldwell. The property and house were deeded to.Robert Wright in November 1866; the house has been moved* twice. Entering the yard, the visitor will note large magnolia trees on each side of the walk. The one on the right is said to be on record at Clemson Univer sity as the largest magnolia tree in the State of South Carolina. The front of the house with its double porches and large- boxwoods, looks very much as it did when it was built, %mm$ except for the wings on each side. These were late additions to the basic house which was four rooms- two downstairs and two upstairs, on each side of a narrow central hallway. In teresting architectural features include horizontal panelling, panelled wainscoting, large doors with L and H hinges, wood en ceilings, carved trim on the stair steps, and in the upstairs rooms, the old windows with three panes over two. All of the furnishings, including a number of heirloom pieces, are the property of the present oc cupants: Mr. and Mrs. W.J. Roddev, ! 1 This home of Mr. and Mrs. Marvin Abrams, located just outside the town of Whitmire in upper Newberry County, was built in 1790-1800, byCol. Ben jamin Herndon. Col. Herndon moved from his native Virginia to North Carolina about 1775. F or his military service in the Revolution, he was given a land grant of 1000 acres in Ninety Six District, Newberry County, and shortly after 1790 he moved to the area and built “Mollohon* The exterior is typical of many plantation houses of its era and it is almost identical in style to an early photograph of Gippy Plantation house near Charles ton. “Mollohon* presents a stately appearance from its hilltop site. The house is built of cypress and oak with peg construction. The Abrams have altered the interior, parti cularly a narrow cramped stairway .leading to the second floor. There is original panell ing in parts of the house, and the transoms over the front doors are the original glass. An old family burial plot is still in existence some distance behind the house. 1970 XM7 SOUTH CAROLINA TRICENTENNIAL and Methodists of the commun ity, and these groups divided the use of the building half and half. This building was located on Second Street in the Oakland village and a portion of it served the Methodist con gregation until 1967, the Bap tist group having built their own place of worship in the late thirties. As textile villages began to spring up throughout the Pied mont region the Methodist church was quick to move into each community, establishing churches and assigning min isters. Most of the churches were small, so several textile churches were often combined to make a “charge”, as Meth odists refer to Pastoral ap pointments. In 1917 the Oakland church and the Mollohon church became such a “charge”, with the Rev. S.C. Dunlap becoming the Pastor. In the following years the two churches were served by the Reverends A.E. Smith,Paul Kinnett, J.T. Lawrence, B.H. Harvey, B.B. Black,S.B. White, and W.H. Lewis, men whose influence upon the two textile communities stirs warm mem ories among countless older Newberrians. The Rev. W.H. Lewis was particularly effective at the Oakland church, and in 1938, while he was Pastor, the Meth odists bought the “half-claim” which the Baptists held on the building. With remodeling and additions, the Oakland Meth odist Church building was re named Lewis in honor of the beloved Pastor, who had been so faithful and generous in his gifts to the church and un der whose ministry the enlarg ed and remodeled building was dedicated. During the forties the church was served by the Reverend W. Glenn Smith, who is now re tired in Newberry, and by the Reverends Roy Wilkes, O.H. Hatchett, B.H. Harvey(serving his second appointment to the charge), and C.W. Brockwell. The group continued to grow in numbers and financial strength, and as the church entered the next decade it appeared strong enough to become what Method ists call a “station” church, having a Pastor and parsonage of its’ own. The late Rev. C.O. Dorn led the church into this big step in it’s development, and in 1953 Lewis Methodist Church be came a “station”, with the Rev. R. A. Hughes as Minister. Mr. Hughes mained at Lewis for four years and led the church to establish a building fund for a complete ly new structure. He was fol lowed by the Rev. E.W. Gottcnd the Rev. James A. Grisby, under whose leadership the old Oak land school property was pur chased as a site for a new church building. The Rev. George Couch, Jr. served at Lewis during the plan ning stages for the new build ing, and in 1966, when the pre sent Pastor, the Reverend Joe Alley, came to Lewis, plans were formulated to construct the present building at the cor ner of First and Nance Streets. Leading the building committee was Mr. Ray Gilliam, whose committee members included Mrs. S.G. McCullough, Mrs. W.E. Taylor, Jr., Mrs. Dewey Floyd,Pearle King,EzellKyzer, Ed C. Adams, Dewey Floyd, A.B. Stribble, and Alfred Brad ley, Chairman of the Official Board and long-time leader of the church. The relocation of the Lewis church was designated a Church Extension project b; f the South Carolina United MethodistCon- ference, and funds were made available to help the small church in the enormous task of constructing a building suitable to serve the entire northeast ern area of Newberry. The new building is thus representative of the concern of all United Methodists rather than the peo ple of Oakland only. Gifts on the building were received from throughout South Carolina, from almost all of the fifty states, and appointed Hughes re- from over twenty foreign coun tries. Such gifts were used to pay for the large “Window of Mission” at the front of the building, and the window, with it’s brillant red and amber colors, has become a land mark for those who travel on First and Nance Streets during the evening hours. The beautiful new building of the Lewis congregation (now officially known as The Lew is Memorial United Methodist Church) is symbolic of the growth, dedication and stew ardship of the mission-minded congregation. In the last four years the congregation has in creased its annual giving from $12,000 to over $30,000 reach ing a peak of $40,000 in the year of construction. Attend ance at worship services has jumped from an average of 85 in 1965-66 to 170 per service during the past months. Sev enty-five members of the ch urch have pledged one-tenth of their annual income to the woek of the church during the coming year, and another 50 are approaching the “Tithe” which is considered by United Methodists as the standard of giving to the church. The church has become known throughout the county for it’s beautiful and moving outdoor Christmas drama, “In the World’s Back Yard,” and it has greatly expanded it’s program in recent years by a year round recreation program, a week - day kindergarten, and a Lay Witness program which has taught most all the members to lead prayer groups, share a Christian witness, become a steward of both talents and money, and become more involved in concern for the pressing social issues of the day. While the new members axe added to the congregation regularly, no attempt is made to press visitors into mem bership. “We feel that those desiring to join a church should be fully aware of the commit ment they’re making,” states Mr. Alley,” so I have now adopt ed the policy of receiving no new members without first tak ing them through an extensive training class; I’m afraid our churches are filled with those who have no deep sense of committment, and no desire to become involved in God’s work. At Lewis we are striv ing to learn what it means to be God’s church. W e have a long way to go, but at least we’re on our way.” The present membership at Lewis is 311, the membership being drawn almost completely from nearby industrial work ers. 263 of the members are residents of Newberry, and 220 are considered “active”. The Minister of Lewis is 32 year old Joe Alley, who is serving his second United Methodist ap pointment and is completing his fourth year at Lewis Memorial. Mr. Alley is married to the former Barbara Gowan of fp- artanburg, and they have two children, nine year old Lynne and a son, Jay,who is four. They live at 2702 Clyde Ave nue in Newberry. Newly elected officials will take office at Lewis on June I. W.D. “Bill”Knox wiU serve as Lay Leader during the com ing year, while S. Eugene Gil liam will serve as Chairman of the Administrative Board. Other officials include L.A. Co ward, D.A. Floyd,Bobby Ham by, Mrs. Rosa Watson, Mrs. Thomas Shealy, Mrs. D.B. Go ings, Mrs. John Drummond, Mrs. Gerald Hester and Miss Marcia Ruff. Also Mr. and Mrs. Virgil Gilliam, W. E. Taylor, A.D. Bradley, Albert Gresham, Mrs. J. E. Abney, Wilson Sanders, George Force# RaymondKyzer, Miss Cindi Hamby, Howard Coats, Olin Glymph, Jon Dickert James Kinard and Mrs. Ray Gilliam. Elected to honorary member ship on the Administrative Board for their many years of service to the church are Mr. Roy Bouknight, Mr. A.B. Stribble, and Mr. P.E. King. received into the Bethlehem Parish - ^ composed of St Mat thews and Bethlehem, with a pledge of ” our undivided moral support in their noble effort to build a Lutheran church in Pomaria.” The 24 Charter members were: Mrs. Mattie H. Graham, Will iam D. Hatton, Miss Annie Hat ton, John J. Hentz, Mrs. John J. Hentz, Thomas E. Hentz, R. H. Hipp, Mrs. R.H. Hipp, Miss Eloise Hipp, Mrs. Maude J. Pinner, T.A. Setzler, Mrs. T.A. Setzler, Miss Ida Mae Setzler, Miss Narvis Setzler, B.M. Setzler, Mrs. B.M. Setz ler, George W. Setzler, Mrs. George W. Setzler, J.P. Setz ler, Mrs. J.P. Setzler, G. Breaker Setzler, W.S. Seybt, Mrs. W.S. Seybt, and Miss Eth el Seybt. W.S. Seybt was the first Sunday School Superintendent serving until his death, and Mrs. Maude J. Pinner was the first organist Land on which the first church was constructed in 1911 was purchased from setzler Bro thers , pioneer residents of this area. This frame structure served the growing congregat ion for 43 years. During the pastorate and under the lead ership of the Rev. E.K. Counts new Sunday School rooms were added, the church was refinish ed, the choir was vested, and altar furnishings were added. Then in 1954 under the leadership of the Rev. M.T. Cul- lum, a movement was started to remodel the old church,cul minating in the building of a new church on the same site. The present edifice is of brick ven eer construction, Gothic archi tecture, with Pastor’s study, educational facilities and the kitchen i n the basement The cornerstone laying took place on June 26, 1955 and the first service in the new church was held on Sunday, Nov. 13, 1955. Dedicatory services of the new Lutheran Church to the glory of God and for beauty of worship were held on April 29,1956, debt free.. The building committee was composed of H.W. Lominick, chairman, T.C. Koon, B.E. Wig- gers, Mrs. H.H. Huggins, and Mrs. Albert J. Wilson, Sr. Dedicated , consecrated, and God-fearing pastors have served this congregation as follows Re. John J. Long - 1910; Rev. LE. Long 1910 1911; Rev. J.A. Linn 1911-1914; Rev. S.C. Ballentine 1915-1917; Rev. Enoch Hite 1918-1920;Rev. H.A. KisUer 1920-1922; Rev. J.B. Haigler 1922-1925; Rev. H.A. Jackson 1927-1931; Rev. J.M. Senter 1931-1934; Rev. E.K. Counts 1934- 1943; Rev. C.W. Carpenter 1943-1944; and Rev. M.T. Cullum 1944-1959; Rev. W.C. Wood 1960- 1963; Rev. Elford B. Roof 1964-1970. One of the greatest and most challenging events in the his tory of Pomaria Lutheran Church occurred on March 24, 1968 when the congregation vot ed in favor of becoming self- supporting. This involved with drawal from the three-church parish to a self-supporting con gregation, effective Jan 1, 1969. Another memorable day was Aug. 18, 1968, when the Rev. Elford B. Roof accepted the call to serve the church on a full time basis, thus be coming the first full time pas tor in the history of the church For 21 months the church pro fited by the ministrations of Pastor Roof, leaving with her members the inspiration to march onward, meeting the cha llenges that lie ahead. Throughout the 60 years of ministry, the church has ser ved her members, the commun ity, the Lutheran Church in America, and Christ, the Lord of the Church Universal. Pom aria Lutheran Church seeks to afford its communicants an opp ortunity for meaningful worship on Sunday, and to inspire them to serve their God and their fellowmen at all times. The church schools are well-or ganized to reach and to teach all ages. The Lutheran Church Women and Lutheran Church Men through the years have made significant contributions to the success of the total fun ctions of the church. Currently, the congregation is without a pastor. The pre sent council, however, com posed of B.E. Wiggers, Chr., Robert L. Hentz, T. C. Koon, W.C. Koon, J. R. Sheeley, W. Alvin Hentz, C. Eric Long, R. Paul Richardson, William J. Bohan, C. Samuel Glymph, Larry O. Koon, and C. Gurnie Stuck are dedicated to a faith ful continuance of the heritage provided by all who have wor shiped and served in Our Church. ■ -V dtil r>vtitr•{ - ., 2 V- .. t.jiK .,1 u . J Personal Checking Boat and Motor Loans Business Checking Personal Loans Bank by Mail Commercial Loans Personalized Checks Transfer of Funds Bank Money Orders Trust Administration Regular Savings Escrow Accounts Automatic Savings Estate Planning Golden Growth Bonds Pension Trusts Golden Investment Certificates Living Trusts Golden Passbook Savings Executor/Trusteeships Christmas Club Payroll Accounting Safe Deposit Boxes Securities Safekeeping Master Charge Financial Investigation Safety Valve Checking Financial Counseling Travel Services 24-Hour Depository Travel Loans Branch Banking Traveler's Checks Drive-In Banking Auto Loans Auto Tellers Enough bank services for another 300 years of South Carolina growth Bankers Trust Member Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation