University of South Carolina Libraries
PAGE 4—The Newberry Sun, Newberry, S. C., Thursday, Sept. 24 1970 -♦nr JASPER HALL Built in the 1840’s by Dr. James Epps, “Jasper Hall” is located three miles south ol Whitmire, and is the home ol Mr. and Mrs. T. J. Abrams. It is a four-story house, with full basement and attic. The origi nal columns were made of brick, plastered over, but the} crumbled over the years an< were replaced. The large win dows are fitted with latticed sectional shutters. Interior walls are white plaster, white wood work, and mahogany trim. The medallion on the parlor ceiling Holy Trinity church history Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, Little Mountain, was organized in 1890 with many of her first members coming from the M o u n t Tabor Congregatior which h"d been organized foi ten ye ;rs at that time. The Rev J. K. Efird was present at the organizational meeting and ser ved as her first pastor. On Jan uary 1. 1891 the charter mem bers of Holy Trinity held their first service and united with the Tennessee Synod. These 34 charter members were: Simeon Miller, J. H. Hipp, A. Noah Boland. D. Walter Boland, George Shealy, Jr., David Bo land. J. D. Long, George W. Long, William L. Riser, Jacob A. Shealy, Walter C. Bush, James H. Wise, Ernest Boland, Elizabeth Slice, J. Elizabeth Long, Polly Long, Mary E. Bush, Elizabeth Miller, Nora Miller (Wise), Mary Miller, F. Jane Hipp, Catherine Ramage, Martha A. Boland, Emma Bo land (Brady), Mary C. Boland, Ada Boland (Davis), Ella D. Boland, Elizabeth Lathan. Flo rence E. Shealy, Annie Boland, Tina B. Hamiter, Margaret R. Long, Martha E. Shealy. and Mary L. Riser. The first council consisted of three elders: Simeon Miller. Noah Boland, and David Bo land; and three deacons: Wil liam Riser, J. H. Hipp, and J. 11. Wise. In 1893 the number was increased to twelve and in 1931 membership on council was increased to sixteen. Immediately after organiza tion Holy Trinity congregation began making plans for build ing a church. A plot of land which is part of our present church grounds was purchased from Mr. Noah Boland for $5.00. The first church building was 35x56 feet, with a vestibule in front 8x24 feet and a room 4x8 on each end. There were hand made altar, pulpit, and pews made like those in Luther Cha pel (Redeemer, Newberry) with a total cost of the building amounting to $465. The building was painted by members. On Saturday afternoon, Octo ber 3, 1891, after completion of the building, the cornerstone was laid with services conduc ted by the pastor, J. K. Efird, assisted by the Rev. R. A. Yo der of Hickory, North Caro lina. The following articles were placed in the cornerstone: Bible. is said to be the work of Finger. The spiral staircase in the en trance hall reaches the top floor, its steps carved from solid pine. There are two other stairways in the house—a cir cular one leading to the base ment, and a third “servant’s stair” from the dining room to the second floor. The doors throughout are finished with brass hardware imported from Europe (note the porcelain key covers). Mr. Abrams has lived in the house for 77 years, his father having bought the house after the death of the builder’s widow in 1890. hymn book, church paper (Ten nessee Synod paper) Lutheran Visitor, and other church lite rature together with a list of church members and donations. On the following day, the first Sunday in October, the church was dedicated and the sermon was preached by the Rev. Yo der. It is for this reason that annual Homecoming Services are held the second Sunday in October to avoid conflicts with World Communion on the first Sunday in October. By the end of 1893 Holy Tri nity membership had increased from 34 to 127 adult members. The first wedding recorded in the record books was that of Nora Miller and James H. Wise on June 6, 1893. The first con firmation class of Holy Trinity consisted of seven members: Moody Boland. James L. Bo land. Nettie Boland. John A. Bush, Lula Lathan, Mary Jane Long, and Sallie Shealy, con firmed April, 1891. In June of 1893 a constitu tion was approved by the coun cil and presented to the con gregation. From 1892 to 1895 and from 1899-1901 Pastor S. L. Nease supplied Holy Trinity as well as St. John's, Pomaria. In 1895 the congregation was pla ced in the pastorate with Mace donia Lutheran Church and re mained as a joint parish until 1945. Pastor H. P. Counts. The George Swittenburg home was purchased at a cost of $676 for a parsonage, and after a few minor repairs to the stables and the cleaning of the well, the pastor moved into his new remains as part of our present parsonage. During 1896 more land was obtained and the present church cemetery was begun. The first member of the church to pass away was John George Shealy, a charger member born in 1815 who died January 16, 1892. His great grandchildren who art members of Holy Trinity toda} are: Mallow Wheeler, Forres Wheeler, E o 1 i n e Matthews Charles Shealy, Ernestine Caldwell, Raymond Shealy, Fred Shealy, Russell Shealv, Burnell Holland, Carlton Bow ers, Caroline Frick, and John Henry Shealy. It was during the pastorate of the Rev. H. P. Counts that Holy Trinity began to ask for pledges and to use offering en velopes. Sunday School rooms were added in 1902. Until 1912 services were held twice monthly on the first and third Sunday mornings, but in 1912 the pastor’s salary was raised $100 to a total of $440 per year with the request that services also be held on the second and fourth Sunday nights. The first brick structure was built in 1917 at a cost of $14,000 including $1,200 paid for chancel furni ture and pews. In 1922 the church was dedicated during the pastorate of the Rev. John L. Long, and all day services were held with a picnic dinner on the grounds. Kerosene lamps were first used in the church but were replaced by acetylene gas lights. These lights were discarded for electric lighting in 1926. Holy Trinity has always been a teaching church as is evi denced by the fact that in Feb ruary, 1894 the Sunday School teachers requested the church council to effect an organiza tion and to elect officers for the Sunday School. The first superintendent elected was J. H. Wise. Others who have ser ved in this capacity were: Pas tor S. L. Nease, A. N. Boland, Dr. J. M. Sease, W. A. Counts, C. E. Wheeler, G. B. Derrick, W. B. Shealy, and our present Superintendent who has served for many years, Murray Counts. The first recorded organiza tion for children was the Cra dle Roll, in 1908, with 31 en rolled between the ages of one and six. Mrs. W. A. Counts was the first superintendent. This work has grown through the years and subsequently chan ged names to the Light Bri gade, then the Children of the Church, and now the Week Day Church School In this present program there are approxi mately 100 children enrolled, classes meet once each week and include instruction for chil dren from nursery age through the age of confirmation. On Sunday night, September 20, 1914 the young people of the church were organized by A. J. Bowers, Virgil B. Sease, and Pastor Long. In 1922 this organization became known as the Luther League. The pre sent League of Holy Trinity meets each Sunday night, is one of the strongest, most active, and largest youth programs in Newberry County, and is under the supervision of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Bowers and Mrs. B. A. Cumalander. The women of the church were organized in 1894 and con tinued as the Women’s Mis sionary Society until later be coming the Women of the Church. When the UCLA mer ged to become the LCA it be came known as Lutheran Church Women. This organiza tion is divided into five groups each meeting monthly. In 1924 the Men’s Federa tion of Holy Trinity was orga nized later to become known as the Brotherhood in 1938 and to day as Lutheran Church Men. Ushers for the congregation are served by this group and they sponsoi the Boys Scout troop which is also an active organi zation of Holy Trinity. Other ministers who have ser ved this congregatio* include the Rev. O. B. Shearouse (1905-1912), J. B. Harman (1923- 1925), Dr. E. Z. Pence (1928- 1942) who served as president of the South Carolina Synod during this period, Albert Stem- mermann (1942-1947), Dr. L Grady Cooper (1948-1953), and Garth L. Hill (1954-1969). \Dr. J. C. Sease was elected treasurer of the church in 1938 and served in that capacity for 20 years. Mrs. B. M. Wise ser ved our congregation as orga nist for over 30 years. Mr. Noah Boland, who was instrumental in the establishment of Holy Trinity, faithfully served as an officer of the church from the time of organization until his death in 1934. Mr. W. B. Shealy served as Sunday School Super intendent for 38 years. Holy Trinity would not have accom plished what it has today if it were not for this type of con stant offering of service by all of her members. The years 1961 and 1962 were great years for Holy Trinity. The Senior Citizens Club was organized, a cemetery endow ment fund was established, and the contract was let for the erection of the new Parish Building during the pastorate of the Rev. Garth L. Hill. To day the congregation consists of 485 baptized members, with 375 confirmed members. The present officers of the Council are: David S. Matthews, Lay Chairman; Everett Lake, Secre tary; and Joe E. Lake, Trea surer. Mrs. John Boland has served faithfully as organist for the past several years. Although Holy Trinity has been without (he services of a full time pastor since June, 1969 she has continued to grow, and all of the activities of the va rious organizations have func tioned effectively with receipts surpassing those of any period in the history of the church. The members of Holy Trinity are grateful for the capable supply services of Pastor Harry Weber, Chaplain of Newberry College, and the Rev. Joe Holt who is doing graduate work at the State Hospital, and for the messages brought to us by the seminarians and other visiting ministers, during this interim period. The church has just pur chased a new Allen Electronic Organ, and has spent approxi mately $6,000 renovating the parsonage family. On March 1, 1970 a call was extended to the Rev. Charles B. Dawkins, a native of Newberry County, who has been serving the Board of World Missions in Japan for the past 12 years. Pastor Daw kins has accepted this call and began his work at Holy Trinity about September 1. The con gregation now looks forward to working with Pastor Dawkins and it is our prayer that under his capable leadership, Holy Trinity will continue to grow and to witness toward further ing God’s Kingdom. City Building Permits Building permits issued by the City last week: James R. Wicker, repairs, 2803 Winnsboro Rd.; Fannie Crawford, repairs, 815 Hunter St.; Hazel Lake, locate trailer, 825 Boyd St.; Jim Leavell, re pairs, 1450 Calhoun St.; W. F. Graham, repairs, 2017 Adelaide St.; Nancy Singleton, repairs, 2122 Benedict St.; Everette Rowe, repairs, 1213 Langford St.; Wright Cannon, repairs, College St.; Also, W. W. Willis, erect build ing, 1614 Drayton St.; George Lester, Jr., repairs, 1812 Rivers St.; Mrs. Taylor, repairs, Cros- son St.; William I. Johnson, re pairs, 700 Cromer St.; Gallman Junior High, repairs, Brantley St.; Ted McDowell; repairs, 721 Pope St.; and T. E. Bodie, erect building, 401 Wright St. Total value of permits, $11,325. USS SARATOGA - Navy Sea man Apprentice Thomas R. Sims, husband of the former Miss Luevone Robinson of 400 Drayton St., Newberry, has re ported for duty aboard the air craft carrier USS Saratoga in the Mediterranean. DEFEND YOURSELF The perfect defense for personal protection: Temporarily disables—Yet produces no permanent injury to the assailant! Fires accurately up to 25 times at a distance of 15 feet. One squirt is enough—Sends thug screaming in pain while you escape! No overcap (ready to use). Convenient pocket clip. REBUFF—For anyone subject to attack. Nurses Students Waitresses Secretaries Salesmen Saleswomen Night watchmen Cab Drivers Night workers Bus Drivers And many more. Women (alone at night) Prices Postpaid inch S. C. tax $3.25 MARTHAN P. O. BOX 654 Newberry, South Carolina 29108