University of South Carolina Libraries
4 / THURSDAY, OCTOBER 4, 1956 THE NEWBERRY SUN PAGE FIVE Charleston Earthquake (Continued) Hibernian Hall, on Meeting street, one of the most imposing structures in the city, was com pletely wrecked by the shock, the massive pillars of its portico thrown down and the roof nearly wrenched from the walls. This building is the property of the Hi bernian Society, organized in 1801, and has been the scene of many noteworthy social and pa triotic gatherings. The Main Police Station, or old Guard House, situated at the southwest corner of Meeting and Broad streets, was a substantial building, with a row of massive columns on the Broad street side. Here the city police have their headquarters, and prisoners ar rested are confined temporarily while awaiting trial. The building was completely wrecked by the shock, the roof being crushed in, the upper portion of the east and north walls fell, the latter crush ing the roof of the porch, carry ing it away and leaving the pil lars which supported it still standing. Two dead bodies were removed from the ruins, both col ored women, who must have been passing at the timte of the shock. Thirty men were sleeping in the upper story at the time but all escaped unhurt. The Medical College of the State of South Carolina occupies a part of the square bounded by Queen, Franklin, Magazine and Mazyck streets, and on which are also the Roper Hospital, Jail, City Hospital, etc. No single square in the city shows equal damage from the earthquake. The main build ing of the Medical College, at the corner of Queen and Franklin streets, is very nearly a ruin; its imposing porch has fallen, its walls are wrecked and its roof is threatening to fall. The institution was charatered in 1832, and is one of the oldest, and it has also always been con sidered one of the best, Medical Schools in the South. It is the only regularly chartered Medical College in the State. The open square, now known as Washington Square, was formerly known a The City Square, and was planted in shade trees, which were cleared away as late as 1880, and in 1883 its present name adopted. At the intersection of the main walks stands the statue of William Pitt, Earl of Chatham, which was made in England and erected in Charleston in 1770, at the intersection of Broad and Meeting streets. During the siege of the city by the British, the right arm of the statue was brok en off by a cannon ball from a fort on James Island. After the war it was taken down and plac ed in the yard of the Orphan House and there erected in 1808, where it remained' until 1881, when it was removed to its pres ent site. Of all the strange scenes through which it has passed, none could be more terrible than those of that Tuesday night, when hundreds of refugees surrounded Xt, having sought the park for safety, and later made the spot their camp ground and place of nightly refuge. The City Hall is situated here, originally erected for the United States Bank, and was purchased by the city when the Bank was removed from Charleston, with money received from the sale of the Exchange to the government for a post-office. The building had its rear wall sprung out, and was otherwise damaged by the earth quake. On the northwest corner of the square is located the Fire-Proof Building, the front gable of which was thrown down, and the structure somewhat cracked by the shock. Across Meeting street, at the corner of Broad, stands the County Court House, which has lost a gable, window caps, etc. and is badly cracked. It stands on the site of the old State House, and after that was destroyed by fire, in ‘1788, was erected on the old foundations. St. Michael’s, Charleston’s his toric sanctuary, whose golden “dome” forms a landmark to the mariner, its sweet-toned chimes, the most home-like of sounds to every true Charlestonian, suffer ed terribly from the shock, and at least $20,000 will be necessary to restore it. Its front porch Is actually torn from the main building, in the walls of which wide cracks yawn. The spire be ing on a separate foundation is not thought to be injured, and the old clock which stopped at eleven minutes of ten on that fa tal night, is once more in motion, and its chimes again mark the passage of time. Their sound was hailed as a cherripg and inspiring omen when, on the Wednesday following the shock, they were heard for the first time after it. St. Michael’s is the oldest church structure in Charleston, the corner stone being laid Feb ruary 17, 1752 and the building opened for divine worship Febru ary 7, 1761. It occupies the site of the first church in Charleston, the original St. Phillip’s, built in 1681-82. The clock and bells were imported from England in 1764, the organ in 1768. The bells were seized by the British during the Revolution and carried back to England. There they w T ere purchased and shipped back in 1783. In 1861, during the late war, they were removed to Co lumbia. Damaged there in the burning of the city by Sherman, all but two, which had been stol en, were, in 1866, sent to England, recast by successors of the firm which first cast them, and return ed, in 1867, to their original loca tion. From St. Michael’s steeple for many years the watchman cried the hours of the night, and that “all was well,” and in case of fire alarmed the city by dis playing a lighted lantern from a staff put ^>ut in the direction of the incipient conflagration. Six Newberrians At Furman Univ. Six students from Newberry County are among the 1379 stu dents enrolled at Furman Univer sity for the fall term, according to Registrars Eula Barton and C. L. Rasor. The enrollment includes 812 men and 567 women students, an increase of 40 students over last year. About 80 per cent of this year’s number are from South Carolina, 43 counties being rep resented. Of the 23 other states having students at Furman, North Carolina has 90 and Georgia 63. Eleven students come from places outside the United States, including the Bahama Islands, Chile, China, Foirmosa, Greece, India, Korea, Lebanon, Philippine Islands, Peurto Rico and Alaska. Those from Newberry County are Sylvia Smith, Kinards; Geor gia Kay Dominick, Thomas Ed ward Jenkins, and Guy Long shore, Jr., Newberry; Rachel Counts, Prosperity, and Wayne Counts, Prosperity. Miss Smith is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Smith of Kinards. Miss Dominick is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Kinard Dominick of 1517 Johnstone street, Newberry. Jenkins, a senior at Furman, is the son of Mr. and Mrs. C. C. Jenkins of 1407 Silas street, Newberry. SATIN-BACK RAYON DRESS MATERIALS in 6 colors for Fall. SCOTCH CLAN GINGHAM PLAIDS SHAGBARK PLAIDS IN GINGHAMS Finest Quality and Best Prices. Carolina 9 Remnant Shop Main Street Newberry, S. C. LAFF OF THE WEEK “Glaston Is doing a good Job pushing turkey sandwiches, today . . .** Pete Plampin Eulogized By News Editor (From The Greenville News, Oct. 1, 1956) Pete Plampin made a better sandwich, and his crossroads eat ing place and filling station on the Newberry bypass became a landmark and Pete himself be came a true “character” known to all who traveled the highway between Greenville and Columbia. Peter Cedric Plampin held a high place among our favorite personalities. He reminded us of our idea of the crossroads inn keeper of old — competent and willing to serve, but a complete individual and utterly independ ent. He made and served the best sandwich available anywhere we know about. He did it by de manding the best meats avail able and he made money at it by demanding the price he knew it was worth. But he begged no body to buy it. Once a week Pete made a vege table soup containing all the in gredients a soup should have to make it a complete meal. And at four-bits a bowl, it was a bar gain. But it was .intended only for those w r ho liked soup and those who didn’t like it complain ed at their peril. Mr. Plampin succumbed the other day, after a long and man ful personal battle, to a bone dis ease that had been discovered only in the advanced stage. He had to give up his personal super vision of the restaurant he had just decided to expand, his fish ing and his friendly talk with the travelers who stopped at the crossroads, but he refused to give up the fight for life. Long after the doctors had pro nounced his case hopeless, he held on. He not only held off death, but he got up from his sickbed and his wheelchair and walked again. We are glad we knew Pete Plampin and we shan’t forget him. Calendar Society Meeting Monday The Calendar Society of Cen tral Methodist Church will meet Monday afternoon, October 8 at four o’clock in the social hall of the church. Longshore, a junior at Furman, is the son of Mr. and Mrs. E. G. Longshore of 2801 Milne Ave., Newberry. Miss Counts and Mr. Counts are daughter and son of Mr. and Mrs. C. B. Counts of Route 1, Prosperity. Miss Counts is a sophomore and Mr. Counts is a junior. — Soil Surveys Are Available At SOS Soil conservation surveys have now been completed for all of the Newberry County Soil Conserva tion District. W. J. Camp, SCS soils scientist assigned to do the mapping, reports that he mapped 895 acres during August which completed on August 29 the sur vey of the entire 405,120 acres in the county. An accurate and detailed sum mary of land by capability classes has not been completed but an ap proximation (in acres) is as fol lows: Class I, 1,650; Class II, 95,368; Class III, 64,879; Class IV, 23,- 203; Class V, 3,299; Class VI, 15,902; Class VII, 33,358; Class VIII, none mapped; misc., 26,189; and acres not on farms, 141,272. Land is classified based on a consideration of slope, soil type, and amount of erosion. A soil scientist checks each farm on the ground and records this infor mation for each acre on an aerial photograph. Soil Conservation service technicians then help arm- ers plan their farms as guided by this land capability information to put each acre to its proper use and treat each acre according to its needs. Land in classes I, II, and III is suitable for cultivation if proper conservation measures are applied. As the class gets larger the in tensity of conservation practices SN&OOOO&0OOOOOOOOQOOOOOO&‘ IwhitakerI I FUNERAL HOMES | AMBULANCE I I PHONE 270 I Just Received URGE SELECTION —OF— Holland Bulbs MARTIN FEED & SEED STORE 10X3 Caldwell St. Phone 33 TYLER DUFFORD falls over the goal line for the first Newberry touchdown against Lenoir-Rhyn^ Saturday night at Setzler Field. Losing out in the effort to prevent the TD were Bullard, 14, Cornwall 11 and Cline 19, of the Lenoir-Rhyne team. In the lower photo, Bullard races across for a Lenoir-Rhyne TD without too much trouble from the pursuing Indians, Marion Lee, 57; Jim Fraser, 40 and Ray Wat ers 33. (Sunphoto by Doris A. Sanders.) needed increases. Class IV land can be used for cultivation if intensive conserva tion practices are applied but this land should preferably be in permanent crops like pastures or trees. Classes V, VI, and VII should never be used for cultivation but should be used for grass or trees every year. As the class gets lar ger the protection "to the land should be more carefully insured. For example: overgrazing is ser ious on any land but it is more serious on Class VII than on classes of land less subject to ero sion. A farmer can get capability maps for his farm by applying to a supervisor of the Newberry Soil Conservation. District for help in prepacing a soil and water conser vation plan for his land. Girl Scout Worker Dies In Anderson i Mrs. Annie Belle Cumalander Shealy, 45, beloved executive di- of the Greater Anderson Girl Scout Council for the past nine years, died Friday at 4.30 p. m. at her residence, 2613 Lane Avenue, aften ten months of dining health and a serious ill ness of one month. Under Mrs. Shealy’s direction. Girl Scout activities experienced tremendous growth in Anderson. During her leadership Scouts ob tained a ^permanent campsite, built a lake, activities building and several outdoor shelters. Membership in Scouting has in creased until it is now recognized as one of the leading activities for young girls in this area. Mrs. Shealy was also a devoted church worker, having been a Sunday School teacher^all of her adult life and taught the young people of her church as long as health permitted. She was also a life member of the United Lu theran Church Women and was active in its program. She was a graduate of Little Mountain High School and at tended Newberry College. Before moving to Anderson with her husband, Evans F. Shealy, (| she lived in Spartanburg fur 17 ye^rs where she was associated with Scout work for a year and a half. In addition to her husband, Mrs. Shealy is survived by her parents, James A. and Luella Boland Cumalander of Little Mountain; one sister, Mrs. Ellen Maddox of Little Mountain, and several nieces and nephews. Funeral services were held Sunday at 2:30 p. m. at Holy- Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church with Dr. Alton C. Clark and the Rev. Enoch Stockman of ficiating. Burial was in Holy Trin ity Lutheran Church Cemetery, Little Mountain, at 5:30 p. m., with Rev. Garth Hill assisting. FORT GORDON, Ga—RFC Carl G. Stuck, son of Mr. and Mrs. Carl M. Stuck, Pomaria, recently was graduated from the Army’s Southeastern Signal School at Fort Gordon, Ga. Stuck completed a nine-week course of classroom and field training in Army communications methods. The 22-year-old soldier entered the Army last April and completed basic training at Fort Jackson. He is a 1956 graduate of Clemson College. - BIG DAYS and NIGHTS OCTOBER 8th thru 13th _ JM* ■ f -ii-f YIL1J ’V NEWBERRY FAIR GROUNDS RIDES Shows EXHIBITS Eats “FUN FOR YOUNG AND OLD ALIKE” 1956 Newberry County FAIR AND FEATURING THE Ross-Manning SHOWS FAIR UNDER MANAGEMENT OF POST 24, THE AMERICAN LEGION WIN A FREE CHEVROLET! To Be Given Away Saturday Night, October 13th, At 10:30 O’clock