University of South Carolina Libraries
ivww.dailygamecock.com _MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 20,2004_ VOi Since1908 IN THIS ISSUE VIEWPOINTS Legal music on the Web Patrick Augustine says an established file sharing method would not deter students from illegal downloading. Page 4 ♦ THE MIX Unfolding on the runway The Mix recaps the spring 2005 collections, which made their debut last week in New York. | Page 5 ♦ SPORTS Syvelle shines in first start The Gamecock sports staff gives an inside look at Syvelle Newton's first start at quarterback and Saturday’s 34-3 victory over South Florida. Page 12 WEATHER ♦TODAY ♦TUES. ' U High 75 High 80 Low 57 Low 55 FOR EXTENDED FORECAST. SEE PAGE 2. INDEX Comics and Crossword.7 Classifieds.11 Horoscopes.7 Letters to the Editor.4 Online Poll..4 Police Report.2 f » ELECTION 2004 jason steelman/The gamecock Trustus Theatre, located next to the Publix on Huger Street, will hold a Rock the Vote concert Wednesday. The event will offer free food, live music and opportunities to register to vote. Rock the Vote stops at Trustus Theatre By TAYLOR SMITH THE GAMECOCK Trustus Theatre and Armed Chair Productions are collaborating with the Rock the Vote organization to bring together a night of free food, music and voter registration. The event, which will feature eight local bands and food from local restaurants, begins at 7:30 p.m. and is designed to raise awareness for the election and bring in more college-age voters. "We are trying to do something that would speak to our audience of voters," said fourth-year English student Ben Compton, a co-organizer. Third-year theatre student and co-organizer Patrick Kelly said the main purpose of the event "is to drive youth empowerment into the election." "We wanted this to be a y<gm community outreach effort, to get a lot of people together out there." Compton and Kelly are part of the Armed Chair productions group and said they have organized events before, but nothing of this magnitude. ♦ Please see VOTE, page 3 Foreign students’ files open to FBI By JON TURNER THE GAMECOCK The U.S. Department of Homeland Security eliminated the judicial role in the investigation of foreign terror suspects Tuesday, when it granted the FBI direct access to the files of foreign students. Before the policy change came into effect, the FBI was obligated to go through the Department of Homeland Security for information from the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System and US VISIT, two programs that store information on foreign students. FBI special agent LaRae Quy said in an interview with the Daily Californian that the Bureau could only access a student’s files if there was an open investigation against them, but Denyse Williams, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union South Carolina affiliate, said a pending investigation wasn’t a significant obstacle to the average agent. “Under the Patriot Act,” she said, “any special agent in charge can open an investigation and get any kind of information on anyone, whether th^’re a citizen or a non citizen. With the Patriot Act in effect they didn’t even need to do this.” The previous method used by agents to obtain information through the Patriot Act involved a request to a special Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Administration court. According to Williams, a direct access policy would “do it without any type of court order. That means that anybody in the FBI that’s a special agent or a special agent in charge can give a certification that their (students’) privacy can be invadecl.” The new policy would .“eliminate the jurisdiction of the FISA court” in a “gross infringement on civil liberties,” Williams said. Asaad Yusaf, a graduate math and accounting student, said that, although he generally felt welcome in Columbia, “if you go out and come back, it’s a lot different.” “It’s like two sides of one coin,” he said. “On one side they need to be doing this, but on the other side where does it end?” Yusaf said he had run into trouble reentering the country since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. “All ♦ f^ease see FBI, page 3 Candidate outlines vision for Arts and Sciences By JACOB DAVIS THE GAMECOCK A candidate for the dean of the new College of Arts and Sciences spoke to USC students and faculty members Friday afternoon, outlining what he saw as the “three key constituencies” the new college would serve. Joe Glover, associate provost for academic affairs at the University of Florida, said students were the top priority and that serving them would also serve the interests of USC and the state. Glover was the second candidate to speak to USC students and faculty members. Joseph Pitt, from Virginia Tech, spoke Sept. 10. Last year, the USC Board of Trustees approved the merger of the College of Liberal Arts and the College of ♦ Please see DEAN.^page 3 Middle East wall controversy builds on Greene Street ■ Students to protest Israel's West Bank barrier By SYDNEY SMITH THE GAMECOCK Student organizations' are teaming up to build a 30-foot wall in front of the Russell House on Tuesday to raise awareness about conflict in the Middle East. The Muslim Student Association will assist the Carolina Peace Resource Center in bringing the Stop the Wall Tour, a human rights campaign in response to Israel’s decision to build a wall around the West Bank. The tour started in July and runs through November, stopping in different cities to build replicas of the Israeli wall. After hearing about the tour, Michael Berg, co-director of the Carolina Peace Resource Center, contacted the Muslim Student Association, and the two groups worKeu togerner to Dring tne tour to USC. The tour will come to the Russell House Tuesday and build a 30-foot replica wall in front of the Russell House from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. The wall will stand from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Along with the replica wall, a map showing the Palestine-lsrael boundaries and where the wall is now will be set up for students to look at. Khalidah Ali, vice president of the Muslim Student Association, said she’s excited about the potential impact of the replica wall on USC students. Ali, a second year nursing student, said she hopes that when USC students stand next to the wall, they will realize the enormity of the issue and the wall’s presence in the lives of Palestinians. Berg said, “It’s not a Muslim .Jewish issue, but a human rights issue.” The wall blocks access to water, work, school and more, he said. “It’s unconscionable to support such a wall in such a ♦ Please see WALL, page 3 Sharon says Israel to stay in West Bank A Palestinian demonstrator jump: Monday during a protest against t ■ Israeli Prime Minister won’t follow U.S. plan By KARIN LAUB THE ASSOCIATED PRESS JERUSALEM — Israel will not follow the U.S.-backed “road map” peace plan and could remain in much of the West Bank for an extended period after it withdraws from the Gaza Strip, Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said in a newspaper interview published Wednesday. Sharon’s comments were his most detailed vpf nn his Inna term vision for the region. Palestinian officials said the remarks confirmed their fears that Israel plans to draw its own borders and keep a large chunk of the West Bank, rather than negotiate a peace deal with the Palestinians, as envisioned by the road map. In violence Wednesday, 10 Palestinians were killed in clashes with Israeli troops in two West Bank towns. Among the "dead were at least six fugitives and an 11-year old girl, Palestinian hospital officials said. Sharon’s plan of “unilateral disengagement” from the Palestinians has created deep divisions in Israel, with opponents resorting to increasingly ’ harsh lLI ODED BALILTY/THE ASSOCIATED PRESS across concrete wall segments he Israeli security barrier. rhetoric against him. The government hopes to use cash advancements to entice large numbers of settlers to leave voluntarily, and make it easier for troops to evacuate those remaining. In an interview with the Yediot Ahronot newspaper published Wednesday, Sharon said that once Israel withdraws from Gaza and the four West Bank settlements, “it is very possible ... there will be a long period when nothing else happens.” “Israel will continue its war on terrorism, and will stay in the territories (of the West Bank) that will remain after the implementation of disengagement.” ARIEL SHARON PRIME MINISTER OF ISRAEL He said that as long as there is no significant shift in the Palestinian leadership and policy, “Israel will continue its war on terrorism, and will stay in the territories (of the West Bank) that will remain after the implementation of disengagement.” The road map was adopted by Israel and the Palestinians last year, but never got off the ground. The plan envisioned a Palestinian state by 2005, but did not spell out its borders. U.S. officials have said that Israel’s occupation of the West ♦ Please see SHARON, page 3