About This Site
The Historic Newspapers of South Carolina repository provides online access to fulltext searchable historic newpspapers originating in South Carolina since it became a state in 1788. The is online collection began as the South Carolina Digital Newspaper Program (SCDNP) in 2009. The University of South Carolina is one of many institutions that participated in the National Digital Newspaper Program, a national effort to preserve America's historical newspapers, made possible by generous grant funding from the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) and with support of the Library of Congress (LC). As part of this program, the University of South Carolina Libraries digitized more than 100 historic SC newspaper titles and contributed over 300,000 newspaper pages that are now freely available and full text searchable at the Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers web site. This Historic Newspapers of South Carolina repository includes additional content that is not part of the Chronicling American contributions.
Thanks to the following who have made full text searchable online access to these South Carolina newspapers possible.
|The Institute of Museum and Library Services' LSTA grant program funding supported the Camden Chronicle.|
|The Horry County Archives Center at the Coastal Carolina University's Kimbel Library funded the digitization of Horry County Papers.|
|Presbyterian College funded the digitization of the Clinton Chronicle.|
|the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) and the Library of Congress through their National Digital Newspaper Project (NDNP) funding supported the first phase of this project known as the South Carolina Digital Newspaper Program (SCDNP) from 2009-2015.|