The sun. [volume] (Newberry, S.C.) 1937-1972, November 12, 1970, Image 9
* * *
NEWS-SUN-CmZEN TRICENTENNIAL EDITION
Newberry County, S. C7, November 12,1970
\m
mm
Macedonia Lutheran Church
Organized In School House
The first public worship ser-.
▼ice of what was to be Mace
donia Lutheran Church was?
held in the school house that*
stood near where the present
church stands in the fall of
1847. The Rev. George Halti-
wanger, Sr. conducted the ser-.
vice and continued to preach
once a month until his death
in 1849.
In the fall of 1843 plans
were laid for the construction
of the first house of worship.
This building was completed
and dedicated inSeptemberl849
with the Rev. Haltiwanger, Sr.
Mr. Michael Sultan gave three
acers of land to the congre
gation on which the first church
was built. These three acers
were cut off from a tract of
land just east from where the
present church now stands. This
original tract of land is now
covered with the waters of Lake
Murray. However, the church
was relocated to its present
site before the waters of Lake
Murray were impounded.
It is not definitely known who
the 23 charter members were.
It is known that David Epting
and Hezekiah Dreher approa
ched Rev. George Haltiwanger
to conduct the first service.
Other names that can be men
tioned with a degree of certain
ty are, Mr. and Mrs. William
Epting, Miss Mary Fulmer, Mr.
and Mrs. John Long, Mr. and
Mrs. William Ballentine, Mr.
and Mrs. Fred Derrick, Mr. and
Mrs. Daniel Shealy, Jacob Hil
ler, and the Rev. D.L Dreher.
Other family names that may
have appeared on the list are,
Todd, Lybrand, Sultan, Fulmer,
Holman, Harman, Hamm and
others.
The first building was a frame
structure. At different times
additions, alterations, and re
pairs were made on the ori
ginal building. This first build
ing made no provision for a
place for negro slaves owned
by members of the congre
gation.
It is said of them, “the early
lutherans treated their slaves
as members of their own fam
ilies. They took them to church
and gave them instruction in
pastorate of the Rev. J.A.Sligh,
1866-1881 and 1889-1890 it is
recorded that the Holy Comm-
union was administered regu
larly to negro members. Even
after being set free many of
the negro slaves remained with
their former “masters" until
natural death removed them
from this life. Even as late
as 1900 some of them
were living in houses provided
by the family to which they
once belonged.
The Rev. J.J. Long became
pastor of Macedonia in July
1912. Soon after his arrival
the people began seriously to
consider the condition of their
old church building which had
stood for more than half a
century. On the 13 of April
1913 a vote was taken which
resulted in a unamious deci
sion for a new church.
For $65.00 the Council en
gaged Mr. L.F. Frick, an ar
chitect of Little Mountain to
furnish designs to select from,
and to aid in directing the work
of building the new church. By
the first of March 1914 the
people began to place materials
on the ground. A contract was
made with Mr. W.T. Livingston
of Newberry for $800.00 to do
the mechanical work, and the
church which is the second one
to be built on the ground was
completed, and ready for the
first service on January 9,
1915. The first hymn sung in
the new church was, “There
Is A Fountain Filled With
Blood." Pastor Lone preached
on the subject,“The Rich Fool."
Marion Guy, son of Mr. and Mrs.
Marion W. Long was made a
member of the church by in
fant baptism at the first service.
The following day, Sunday,
January 10, 1915 Harris Clay-
borne Amick, Noah Michael
Shealy, Charles Holmes Epting
and Yance Leroy Amick were
received into the church by
confirmation. From this time to
the day of dedication a num
ber of gifts and memorials were
mKKmmnS
It Has Been Our Pleasure To
Serve The People Of Newberry
County For Many Years —And We
Look Forward To Much Progress
In The Years To Come.
We are proud of our County and State and extend our
congratulations on the 300th Anniversary of South
Carolina.
Newberry
Electric Cooperative, Inc.
"Home Owned And Operated"
Newberry, S. C.
received by the congregation.
“On Sunday, May 27, 1917,
a congregation of about one
thousand persons (1,000) as-^
sembledat Macedonia Church
to engage in the Dedicatory
Service of the new church
building which is the second to
be built on our church lot.
At 11 a.m. the Rev. J.W. Hor-
ine, D.D., Editor of the Luth
eran Church Visitor, Columbia,
S.C., preached the dedicatory
sermon, using as his text,
“But the Son of Man hath not
where to lay His Head. After
the morning service dinner was
served on the church ground.
At 2p.m. the new church was
solemnly dedicated to the wor
ship of God. The dedicatory ser
vice was conducted by Dr.Hor-
ine. Following the ceremony the
Rev. W.H. Greever, D.D., Edi
tor of the American Lutheran
Survey, Columbia, S.C., made
an encouraging address comm
ending the congregation for its
united consecration. He stres
sed the importance of giving
our sons to the Gospel Ministry.
He asked how many ministers
had gone out from the congre
gation, and was informed that
two of her sons were now pre
aching the Gospel."
Sidney Calhoun Ballentine
was born July 4, 1865, was
baptized and confirmed in Mac
edonia Church. He graduated
from Roanoke College with first
distinct!cm in 1890, and from
Mt. Airy Lutheran Theological
Seminary in 1894, and was
ordained on May 28, 1894 in
St. Johannes German Lutheran
Church, Philadelphia, Pa. He
served parishes in South Car
olina and Virginia, retiring
from active service in 1938.
He passed to his eternal reward
on November 20, 1944.
Arthur Wellington Ballentine
was born March 17, 1885, was
baptized and confirmed in Mac
edonia Church. He attended the
local schools; graduated from
Newberry College in 1907, tau
ght school the winter of 1907-
1908; and graduated from the
Lutheran Theological Southern
Seminary in 1911. He was ord
ained in SL Mark's Evangelical
Lutheran Church, Goodman,
Mississippi, on July 2, 1911.
He served parishes in Mississ
ippi, Georgia, South Carolina
and Virginia. He is now retired
and a guest at the Lowman
Home.
After a long time Macedonia
is happy to have another son
enter the Gospel Ministry. Geo
rge David Swygert was born
October 5, 1941, was baptized
and confirmed in Macedonia
Church. He attended the Chapin
schools graduating from High
School in 1959, Newberry Col
lege in 1963, and the
Lutheran Theo
logical Southern Seminary in
1967. He was ordained lif' - .
Incarnation Lutheran Church
Columbia, S.C., May 26, 19671
He served St. James, Leesville,
S.C., and is now serving, Grace,
Bessemer City, N.C.
In the late 1920’s the secur
ing and clearing of land for the
waters of Lake Murray forced
many families from their homes
and farms, thus reducing the
membership by about one third.
With the waters of the lake
coming within only a few hun
dred yards of the church, the
future did not look too bright
However, many faithful people
held on,and today the future
looks promising for the church.
It was during the pastorate
of the Rev. E.Z. Pence that
Sunday School rooms were add
ed to the rear of the church pro
per. The addition is a two story
structure.
The congregation was in a
pastoral charge with other con
gregations, or congregation
until July 9, 1961, when under
the leadership of supply pastor
H.S. Petrea she became self
supporting, and immediately
began with plans to secure a lot
and build a parsonage. The lot
was secured, some money bor
rowed, the house erected and
didicated April 28, 1963, and
within 18 months the debt was
paid off.
Today Macedonia is a vigir-
ous congregation vith a new
determination to serve her
community, and sharing grate
fully in the larger ministry of
the South Carolina Synod, and
the Lutheran Church in Amer
ica.
In June of this year she began
holding 8:00 a. m. woi>iup ser
vice on the lake shore just
beyond the church for vaca
tioners, and summer residents
of this resort area of New
berry County in addition to her
regular schedule of services.
Also, this spring some imp
rovements were made in the
nave of the church, and the
entire floor of the nave, chan
cel and choir were carpeted.
With a growing enrollment in
her schools, the need for space
for social activities, and admin
istrative purposes, the congre
gation is,,adding weekly to a
building fund.
The story of Macedonia is
the story of her people and
pastors working together (or the
glory of God, the spread of
the Gospel, and the deepening
of their own spiritual life. From
her beginning in 1847, Macedo
nia has never been long with
out the service of a pastor.
Ler us just recite the names
of the pastors without giving
the date of their service, bat
in the order in which they ser
ved. The Revs. George Halti
wanger, Sr., William Berley,
James H. Bally, Samuel Book-
night. J.A. Sllgfa. C.P. Boozer,
J. D. Bowles, A. J. Bowers, etc
A.J. Bowerw, W.A. Julian, J.
H. Wyse, Jacob Hawkins, J.D.
Klnard, H.P. Counts, S.L. Ne-
ase, J.K. EflrdjO.B.Shearouse,
J.J. Long; J.B. Harman, E.Z.
Pence, Albert Stemmermann,
L.H. Jeffcoat, J.H. Koch, Jr.,
H.S. Petrea (simply), W. E.
Jernigan, F.A. Rice, and
C.L. Richardson the present
pastor.
Today Macedonia is a congre
gation of267 baptised members,
184 confirmed members, with
active auxiliaries in all phases
of the churches work.
Welcome
Newberry
County
&
1670-1970
We extend a warm welcome to all during our Tricen
tennial Celebration. We are glad to be a part of Pro
gressive Newberry County and extend best wishes to
our state on her 300th Anniversary!
Cannon’s Creek
Cemetery Restoration
Is UDC Chapter Project
*
From the years 1763 to 1775,
Scotch-Irish colonists came
from County Antrim, Ireland,
and settled in the fertile re
gion between Enoree River and
the Dutch Fork in Newberry
County. Thus began the history
of the Associate Reformed
Presbyterians in this county.
These settlers were of the Co
venanter persuasion, a Presby
terian movement having orig
inated in Scotland in 1638.
A portion of Rev. John Ren-
wick, Sr.'s congregation came
from Ireland in 1767. In 1770
a larger portion with their pas
tor came and settled near the
others. Then in 1772 a third
colony came. The Lord’s Sup
per was first administered to
these Christians in PatridkCa
rmichael’s barn near what is
known as Boyd’s Crossing be
tween Newberry and Pros.-
perity.
Cannon’s Creek Church, na
med for a nearby creek, was
founded in 1772 with the Rev.
John Renwick, Sr. as the first
Associate Reformed Presby
terian preacher in Newberry
County. Rev. Renwick died Au-
pst 20, 1775, and is buried
in Cannon’s Creek Cemetery.
The historic old church is
no longer in existence; however,
the rock pillars of the church
may be seen across the road
from the cemetery.
The restoration and preser
vation of Cannon’s Creek ce
metery was chosen as the Tri
centennial project of the Dray
ton Rutherford Chapter, United
Daughters of the Confederacy.
This work was carried out under
the direction of Mr. R.B. Baker
with the help of Mr. J.C. Neel,
the County Supervisor, and the
Commissioner.
Carpenter's
Women’s Apparel
Main Street
Newberry, S. G
Mxxx-x
Burns &
Summer
Floor Coverings
Newberry, S. G
:-:-xw->x*x-w«x-x-:-x-:-:-Xv.-x<:-x-:-x-x<-:*xi«^-:-XsX-xwxw*wx%W:WSx:w?sx^
1670
1970
SOUTH CAROLINA
TRICENTENNIAL
M70
1170
Tarleton's
Tea Table
Rock Cited
In a history of Newberry Co.
by George L. Summer, Sr.,
there is recorded tlw following:
“Tarleton’s Tea-Table Rock-
located about four miles North
of Newberry Court House, to
left of old road to Whitmire,
about 200 yards behind some
woods. It was there that the
British officer, and his men,
Col. Tarleton, camped several
weeks while on their march to
Ninety Six to help LordCom-
waUis. Here they ate, and were
served tea on the rock by some
neighborhood young women who
were instrumental in delaying
their march; as the result of
which his regiment could not
contact Cornwallis in time from
preventing the latter suffering
a defeat from the hands of the
Americans."
The Town of Prosperity
Extends An Invitation
To Visitors And County
Residents To Visit And
Enjoy This Historic Section
Of Newberry County.
We Join With Others In Wishing Happy Birthday
To South Carolina On Their 300th Anniversary
The Town Of Prosperity
South Carolina