The sun. [volume] (Newberry, S.C.) 1937-1972, November 12, 1970, Image 32

Below is the OCR text representation for this newspapers page. It is also available as plain text as well as XML.

Smyrna Presbyterian Church Was Founded In 1838 Located at 152 Boundary St. tlie Caldwell-Higgins house is one of the oldest houses in New berry. It was built by Francis Higgins between 1816 and 1820, and over the years has been re modelled , added to, and dam aged by fire. Mr. andMrs.Wil- liam Tedford acquired the house 10 years ago and have endea vored to return it somewhat to its original plan. They re moved a porch and a room which were definitely not on the ori ginal house and reduced the sises of upstairs rooms to make for present-day living conven ience. Standing some distance back from the street, this frame structure presents a stately, neat and clean look with a nar row front porch supported by square columns reaching to the second story, balanced by two massive chimneys on each side of the structure. The entrance opens onto a generous hall. Of special note are two hand- carved mantels, and in the din ing room, a considerably low ered ceiling, an unusual feature of the original construction. Smyrna Presbyterian Church was organized by a Commission of South Carolina Presbytery on September 25, 1838. Prior to its organization the church was un der the guidance of Rev. R. C. Ketchum, pastor of Aveleigh. The original land was deeded to Smyrna by Emanuel andChris- tina Senn and John Senn on June 9, 1838. The building was begun soon after and is located in New berry County, South Carolina, five and one-half miles west of the city of Newberry. The first seventeen members were as follows: George Boozer, Esq., and wife Sarah Wilson; David Boozer and wife; John Senn and wife; Mrs. Harriet Coppock; Mrs. Elizabeth Boozer (widow of Henry Boozer); Mrs. Chris tina Senn; Mrs. Mary Boozer (wife of Adam Boozer); Mrs. Permelia Burton (daughter of George Boozer); Mrs. Mary Bo ozer Fairbairn (daughter of George Boozer); Mrs. Sarah Boozer McKittrick (daughter of George Boozer); Miss Caroline Boozer; Mrs. Rebecca Hendrix (sister of George Boozer); David Clary and wife. David Clary and George Bo ozer were elected and ordained Ruling Elders. For the first two years ser vices were held by stated sup plies. In 1839 Rev. John Mc Kittrick was called and served Colony Lutheran Organized 1845 until 1844 while serving as pas tor of Aveleigh and Gilder's Creek. The names of many ne gro members will be found in the records. They sat in the back of the church and sang hymns and took communion with the other members. In the beginning Smyrna was grouped with Aveleigh and Gil ders’s Creek. At different times we were grouped with Mt Bet hel, Morris, Dominick, and Lit tle River-Dominick and has be en independent since then. The old church building was remodeled into Sunday School rooms in 1916 and an auditorium was built This building was destroyed by fire in December 1934. The present brick struc ture was completed in four mo nths and dedicated at the Spring Meeting ofSouthCarolina Pres bytery April, 1935, free of debt The old manse was built in 1884 which was moved back in 1958 and a modern brick manse was built during the pastorate of Rev. 0. C. Brown. Also dur ing the tenure of Rev. Brown an educational building was added and the sanctuary remodeled. Since that time further re modeling of the sanctuary has been done and new front steps constructed. The women’s work was or ganized in 1879 by the Pastor, Rev. T. C. Ligon. His wife was the former Dora Boozer, grand daughter of George Boozer Esq. This organization was known as the Ladies Benevo lent Society which was com posed of Rev. Ligon and twn women. They were Mrs. Dora Ligon, Mrs. Lucy Boozer, Mrs. Sula Wilson, MRS. HelenClary, Mrs. Alice Gary, Mrs. Sallie Abrams, Mrs. Eliza Piester, Mrs. Sarah Boozer, Mrs. Mat- tie Boozer and Miss Mary Long shore. It is presently known as the Women of the Church. Dur ing the pastorate of Rev. S. T. Lipsey, 1950-1957, The Women of the Church were organized into Circles. The meetings were held each month in the homes of the members, with a general meeting each month at the Chu rch. The main business is out lined at the general meetings and carried out through the cir cles. The Men of the Church were also organized during the pasto rate of Rev. Lipsey. They jield regular monthly meeting with Thomas Abrams as the first president. Pastors of Smyrna: Rev. John McKittrick, 1839-1844; Rev. E. F. Hyde, 1845-1849; Rev. W. B. Tedford, 1850-1853; Rev. T. L. Holms, 1853-1855; Rev. Robert McLees, 1856-1860; Rev. A. D. montgomery, 1860-1865; Rev.S. Donelly, 1866-1868; Rev. w. r. Atkinson, 1868-1869; Rev. J. H. Young, 1869; Rev. Hugh Strong, 1869-1871; Rev. J. B. Hillhouse, 1871; Rev. T. C. Ligon, 1871- 1882; Rev. A. Hassell, 1883-1888; Rev. J. W . McClure, 1888- 1893; Rev. C. Smith, 1894-1897; Rev. J. D. Blackwell, 1898-1901; Rev. R. C. Ligon, 1902-1905; Rev. R. S. Latimer, 1905-1912; Rev. T. C. Croker, 1912-1920; Rev. A. H. Key, 1920-1924; Mr. Meeks-supply, 1925; Rev. J. N. McCord, 1926-1930; Rev. Cochran" Preston, 1930-1932; Rev. C. J. Matthews, 1932-1944; Rev. C. F. Allen, 1944-1945; Rev. T.M. Howze, 1945-1949; Rev. S. T. Lipsey, 1950-1957; Rev. O. C. Brown, 1958-1964; Rev. Ronald Case, 1965-1967; Rev. C. O. Ghagan ; 1967-. Present officers of Smyrna Church: SESSION: Rev. C.O. Gahagan, Moderator; Thomas 1. boozer, Clerk; G. M. Neel, Thomas Abrams, David Senn, William Pitts, W. O. Pitts, Horace L. Boozer, Jr., David Johnston, Walter Senn BOARD OF DEACONS: Robt- ert L. Dorrah, Chm; Billy Gib son, Treasurer; J. H. Bishop, Secretary, Ed Senn, Elliott Mayer, Forest Senn, Jimmy Dennis, Tommy Walker. * * * Chappells Over 120 Chappells is located about nineteen miles west of New berry Court House and on the Saluda River. It was incorpor ated in the 1930’s. The town was started about one hundred and twenty years ago when the pioneer of that section located there and start ed a store. His name was Tho mas Chappell. He had lived in the locality since 1756. The community of Chappells in 1884 was swept by a cycl one which destroyed or damaged almost all the buildings, killing 5 people. The Mudlick Creek area was once the home of the Mudlick Tribe of Indians. In this neigh borhood was the route General Greene took in his retreat from Ninety Six by way of the Island Ford. Chappells has been a pros perous farming area. During the year 1845* mem bers of St. Luke's and St. Paul’s Lutheran Churches who lived in the vicinity of the present Colony Lutheran Church met together with Rev. William Ber- ley and organized Colony Luth eran Church. The first building was constructed in the year 1846 in part, at least, from mat erials salvaged from the origi nal St. Luke’s Church. That church building was de dicated in August 1846 and the congregation was admitted into the South Carolina Synod on March 2, 1848. Lands for the original tract were given by a Mr. Cook and a Mr. Fellers. Other lands have been acquired as gifts or were bought during the years of her history. The first Sunday School was organized in June 1848, with three teachers and fifteen pup ils. Charter members of Colony Church included: Elders, John Buzzard and George Boozer; Secretary, John Cook; David Cook, John Legrone, Francis Bobb, Michael Fellers, Sarah Bobb, Sarah Fellers and Eliza beth C. Boozer. John McCul lough, father of Rev. H. A. Mc Cullough, D. D., was confirmed in 1845, the year of the organi zation. The congregation worshipped in that church until a new church was built in the year 1884. The second church was remodeled and Sunday School rooms added during the pastor ate of Rev. W. D. Haltiwanger, 1925-34. It was further remodel ed just prior to the celebration of her centennial year, 1945, while Rev. C. J. Rice was the pastor. It was used for worship services until we entered the new church building on April 7,1957. Colony congregation was one of many congregations served by Rev. William Berley during her early history. During the year 1855 she was in a parish with St. Luke’s and St. Paul’s churches. At the very beginning of the present century, she was in a parish with Beth Eden and Mayer Memorial churches. On April 1, 1910, the parish con sisted of Beth Eden, Colony, and St. James’ churches. In 1958 Colony became self-sup porting. Many worthy and respected ministers have served their Lord in Colony Church. From the records that we have, they were: Rev. William Berley, 1845-50; Rev. John C. Hope, 1850-51; Rev. T. S. Boinest, 1851-54; Rev. J. P. Margart, 1855-58; Rev. J. H. Bailey, 1859-66, dur ing which time there was some connection with Newville, now Grace Church, Prosperity; Also, Rev. J. A. Sligh, 1866- 71; Rev. Jacob Hawkins, 1871- 72; Rev. H. S. Wingard. 1872-74; Rev. J. D. Bowles, 1875-81, bur ied in Colony Cemetery; Rev. Jacob Hawkins, 1881-83; Rev. Doctor George W. Holland, 1883- 93; Rev. W. K. Sligh, 1893-99; Rev. Charles H. Armstrong, 1900-02; Rev. W. K. Sligh, sup ply, 1902; Rev. J. J. Long, 1902- 03; Rev. R. E. Livingston, 1903- 04; Rev. W. K. Sligh, supply, 1904- 05; Rev. J. A. Sligh, supply, 1905- 06; Rev. A. J. Bowers, D.D. 1909-10; Rev. J. D. Kinard, D.D. April 1910-June 1912, Father of the President of the South Car olina Synod; Rev. P. E. Shealy, 1912-1915; Rev. L. P. Boland, 1916-24; Dr. P. F. Bloomhardt, Newberry College faculty, sup plied from November 1924 until July 1925; Rev. W. D. Haltiwan- ger, 1925-34; Rev. R. A. Good man, D.D., supply, 1934-35; Rey. M. L. Kester, 1935-1943; Rev. W. D. Haltiwanger, supply 1943- 44; Rev. C. J. Rice, 1944-52; Rev. W. D. Haltiwanger, supply through October 1953; and Rev. Thomas H. Weeks became the pastor on November 1, 1953; Rev. H. A. Dunlap, 1958-64; Rev. Paul G. McCullough, 1964-66; Rev. J. V. Long, 1966 to present. Four ministers of the Gospel of Christ have entered the min istry as members of Colony: Rev. H. A. McCullough, D. D., the Rev. I. Ernest Long, D.D.; the Rev. J.' Benjamin Beden- baugh, D.D.; the Rev. Andrew David Eargle, and Mr. Cecil Fulmer is a student at Duke Divinity School, Durham, N. C. 1970. Colony is justly proud of her ministerial sons, and she is proud of many others who have served or now serve their community, state, nation and the world is so many callings and professions. Three people were killed in a car-train collision at Colony crossing on December 18, 1951. From the estates of two of them—Mr. S. V. Shevlin and Mrs. Dora Dominick Shevlin— Colony Church received a con siderable sum of money. Their bequests were the inspiration for our new building which was voted for on August 12, 1956. The Work Gang of Newberry County did our excavating and grading for us without charge. Work was begun on the new church edifice during October 1956, and the building was com pleted, furnished and ready for the laying of the Corner Stone on April 7, 1957. Many people, both members and friends, have contributed money or labor or both toward our new Church; and on Sep tember 1, 1957, Mr. HoUand R. Paysinger made a contribution that enabled us to pay the in debtedness that remained on that date. This beautiful and useful building was dedicated to the glory of God and the use of His people in this commiAiity on the eighth day of December 1957, and is continuing to serve the community. SOUTH CAROLINA A TRICENTENNIAL NEWS-SUN-CITIZEN TRICENTENNIAL EDITION Newberry County, S. C., November 12, 1970 WE ARE GLAD--- 11ZT, * To Be A Part Of Newberry County And Take Pride In Serving You - • Newberry County Is A Progressive Area And We Are Happy To Be A Part Of This Growth. We Extend Congratulations To South Carolina On Her 300th Anniversary V ' \ -V L