The sun. [volume] (Newberry, S.C.) 1937-1972, November 12, 1970, Image 30
r
NEWS-SUN-CmZEN TRICENTENNIAL EDITION
Newberry County, S. C., November 12, 1970
County Homos And Churches
On Tricontonnial Tour
The organization of St. Luke's
Episcopal Church dated from
1846, although at least one ser
vice was held in the town of
Newberry as early as 1839.
Construction of the church on
the corner of Main and Calhoun
Streets was completed early in
1855; the consecration service
was held August 26, 1855. The
building of Gothic design has
a self supporting roof and 19 foot
walls. The exterior is brick
covered with stucco. Originally
there was a tower at the south
east corner but in 1864 it was
removed, being considered un
safe. The front entrance ves
tibule is separated from the
nave by cloister windows, or
draft boards., these havingbeen
made stationary in recent years
because of air-control require
ments. The organ is thought to
be considerably older than the
church. The old pine pews are
enclosed. A narrow stairway
in the vestibule leads to a gal
lery. The chancel was enlarged
in 1894, and the stained-glass
window of St. Luke over the al
tar bears the same date.
Built in 1838 by Jacob Kibler,
“Timberhouse' was acquired
by the present owners, Mr. and
Mrs. Emerson E. Westwood,
in 1943. A two-story frame
house, its exterior is a com
fortable* country ' style with
double, columned porches ac
ross the front, and four massive
chimneys. Inside there are nine
fireplaces, eight of them match
ing. The house is constructed
of heart pine, and the extensive
panelling has been restored
to its natural color. The wind
ows are panelled underneath.
The kitchen, once seperated
from the house, was
joined to the house in recent
years and enlarged. Note the
handmade brick in the kitchen
fireplace, and enclosed stair
way in the front entrance hall,
the banquet table in the dining
room which seats 28, and the
collection of antiques and fur
niture throughout the rooms.
During the restoration process,
army gearfbullet pouches, bay
onet and revolver) was found
under the attic floor, giving evi
dence to the belief that Yankee
soldiers were garrisoned in the
house during the War Between
the States.
* * *
Built in the 1840's by Dr.
James Epps, “Jasper Hall' is
located three miles south of
Whitmire, and is the home of
Mr. and Mrs. T.J. Abrams. It
is a four-story house, with full
basement and attic. The ori
ginal columns were made of
brick, plastered over, but they
crumbled over the years and
were replaced. The large win
dows are fitted with latticed
sectional shutters. Interior
walls are plaster, white wood
work, and mahogany trim. The
medallion on the parlor ceiling
is said to be the work of Fin
ger. The spiral staircase in
Faith Church Is Youngest Lutheran Church In County
Faith Lutheran Church, at
he junction of Harrington St.
and By-Pass Seventy-Six, is a
nission church—the youngest
Lutheran church in the New-
jerry area. Even though the
:ongregation is young in years,
juite a bit of history surroui.ds
icr birth and early years, quite
a bit of interesting and con
fusing history..
The congregation was orga
nized at the time when the na
tional church (United Lutheran
Church in America) was under
going an historic merger to
form the Lutheran Church in
America. Of course this na
tional merger made necessary
some changes in the South Car-
jlina Synod, and it was a time
jf great concern for the church
leaders of our state, and a time
when operational procedures
were not clear. For a mission
congregation to be formed in
the UCLA in the late 50’s and
early 60’s, the Home Missions
Board of the Synod was to sur
vey the area under considera
tion and to recommend it to
the UCLA Board of American
Missions as a promising loca
tion for a new congregation;
sixty confirmed adults were ne
cessary for a new congrega
tion to be formally organized.
After the merger, from the
early 60’s on, a regional secre
tary, employed by the Board of
American Missions of the LCA,
was to survey the area an to
recommend it as a possible site.
Again, sixty members were ne
cessary to form a new congre
gation. Faith came at the end
of the ULCA and at the begin
ning of the LCA, and she was
not organized precisely accord
ing to the procedures of either
body.
To confuse the issue still
more, during this same time an
older congregation in the New
berry area became faced with
the need for additional educa
tional facilities. As members
of this congregation studied
their church locale, they began
to discuss the possibility of re
locating and building on a new
site. The South Carolina Synod
was then included, in the dis
cussion and the synod attempted
to guide the congregation as she
decided her future.
In January of 1961, the synod
learned of a church building
for sale in the Harrington
Heights area of the city. The
building had once served a
congregation from the Church
of God, and the mortgage on
this building was held by the
Whitner family. Receiving this
information, the synod secured
permission from the Board of
American Missions to purchase
the property and to offer it to
the above Lutheran congrega
tion as a site for re-location.
Faced with the reality of mov
ing to a new place, however,
this Lutheran congregation de
cided in a congregational meet
ing to stay in their present
nlace and to refuse the offer of
the Harrington Heights pro
perty.
Still, the synod was anxious
to havie a congregation in this
area. Harrington Heights seem
ed to J)e the growing edge of
the city, and, also, a well-tra
veled street passed in front of
the building, making the church
very accessible to the entire
population of Newberry. Both
of these were promising points
to consider.
In July of 1961, the South Car
olina Synod bought the pro
perty in Harrington Heights
from the Whitner family. Even
though there was no congrega
tion, and no survey had been
made, Dr. Shelton Moose, an
official of the synod who led the
first worship services, felt a
group would be drawn to the
new area—and he* was correct.
Within six months over seventy
people had signed the charter
rolls.
December 17, 1961, is the date
for the formal organization of
the congregation. Dr. Karl W.
Kinard, president of the South
Carolina Synod, led the new
church in a special service of
organization. The name became
Faith Lutheran Church.
The young, new congregation
was faced with many sizable
problems: it had to reimburse
the synod and the Board of Ame
rican Missions for the original
property; a larger acerage was
needed; the church building was
in need of repair, and up-dating
needed to be done; the limited
number of rooms had to be di
vided to provide educational
space; a pastor had to be call
ed; a parsonage had to be pro
vided; a strong and continuing
evangelistic effort was neces
sary-notifying people of the
new congregation and her de
sire to serve God.
The officers of the new Faith
congregation proceeded in good
order to face the problems con
fronting them, but the problems
were great ones, and, with no
constant pastoral leadership,
progress was slow. The build
ing was air-conditioned, the roof
was repaired, the rooms were
years until August of 1966. The
next pastor, Lloyd W. Mitcham,
came to Faith in January of
1967 and was here for a year
and a half until July, 1968. Pas
tor William E. Stone, the pre
sent pastor, has served Faith
since April, 1969. During periods
of vacancy the congregation has
been served notably by Dr. F. I.
Fesperman, professor at New
berry College.
It is significant that, though
the congregation has had only
scant full-time pastoral leader
ship during her years of in
fancy, important advances have
been made. The congregation
grew from 70 to 120 adult mem
bers and approximately 65
young people under the age of
fifteen. Financially the congre
gation has been very secure;
enough money has been con
tributed to pay off the original
debt, to build a parsonage, to
buy five lots near the church,
and to make concrete plans for
additional Sunday School faci
lities in the fall of this year.
The rate of growth and the
financial security of the congre
gation are both factors which
point out the stability of the
congregation and the level-head
ed guidance of the lay leader
ship. Every job is not always
filled, but the concern and in
terest among members are such
that the important work of the
congregation is done wonder
fully well.
The congregation needs to
continue in its growth, of course.
There are many inactive people
of varying denominations within
the reach of the church. Many
are within sight of the church.
Greater community involvement
is becoming a necessity; over
thirty young children live within
two blocks of the congregation,
and numerous elderly people in
the congregation or in the Har
rington Heights area need the
fellowship the congregation can
afford.
Even though our history is
short, it has been bright and
interesting. With God’s help we,
at Faith, have faced and over
come significant difficulties in
the past, and, with his help, we
shall continue into the future
offering his promise to those in
our fellowship and to those in
our community. God be praised.
the entrance hall reaches the
top floor, its steps carved from
solid pine. There are two other
stairways in the house--a cir
cular one leading to the base
ment, and a third “servant’s
stair' from the dining room to
the second floor. The doors
throughout are finished with
brass hardware imported from
Europe (note the porcelain key
covers). Mr. Abrams has lived
in the house for 77 years, his
father having bought the house
after the death of the builder’s
widow in 1890.
* * *
Now located at 1213 Crenshaw
St, the HenrySummer house was
built at a site around the cor
ner on Main Street. HenrySum
mer built the house between
1831-46. It is a two story white
clapboard structure, featuring
double porches across the front
The entrance opens onto a wide
center hall with the stairway
ascending at the rear. The
parquet oak floors are the ori
ginal. Victorian partitions
which once divided the hall were
removed when the present own
ers, Mr. and Mrs. C.D. Cole
man, acquired the house. The
mantel in the den is original,
although it was removed from
another room in the house. In
the living roon, the bevelled
mirror over the mantel is note
worthy; in' the dining room,
the brass pulls on the center
drawers are the original. The
present kitchen was formerly
a porch, the original kitchen
having been detached from the
main house.
SOUTH CAROLINA
TRICENTENNIAL
divided, and several additional
pieces of land were either
bought or received as gifts. But
the congregation could not ne
gotiate any financial settlement
with the synod and with the
board concerning reimburse
ment for the church building;
several proposals concerning the
buying and-or building of a par
sonage were discussed, but no
concrete action was taken for
eighteen months or more; a
number of people were consi
dered before a pastor accepted
a call to serve Faith.
In September of 1962, the
Rev. Robert Addy came to
Faith to become the first pas
tor. During the fifteen months
since the first service had been
held, Dr. Shelton Moose from
the synod office and Dr, John
Cooper from the college had
provided limited pastoral gui
dance. However, both of these
men realized a new and strugg
ling congregation desperately
required a full-time pastor.
Pastor Addy was a very ag
gressive leader, and, within a
short time after he came, con
structive action was taken on
the two “problems” mentioned
above. A satisfactory schedule
of payment was arranged for
the church building, and a par
sonage was begun on land im
mediately behind the church.
Thus far, as the congrega
tion approaches her ninth birth
day, three pastors have serv
ed at Faith Lutheran Church
for a total of just over six years.
Pastor Addy was here for four
Still called “the old court house” by many Newberry residents, the
Community Hall is located on “The Square”, on property given to
Newberry County in 1789 by John Coates. Construction of the pres
ent building was begun in 1850. The architect was said to be one
Jacob Graves . The contractor was Wallace Cline. Old shutters and
hardware adorn the building, and most of the window glass is the
original. Granite sills and lintels are used at all doors and windows.
The building is Greek Revival in style with large fluted Doric col
umns. The symboism in the front gable was added by Osborne
Wells in 1876, when he made repairs on the building. The overturned
palmetto tree represents a “prostrate” South Carolina. The Ameri
can eagle, or the Federal government, grasps the “Scales of Justice”
in its beak, attempting to balance at one end, the gamecock which
represents a still-defiant people, and at the other end, the dove of
peace with the olive branch. In continuous use since 1852, the building
now serves as a community center. It is headquarters for Newber
ry’s Tricentennial celebration.
0; v
■
rnFm?'
It's Our Pleasure - -
To Be A Part Of Newberry County And
South Carolina. We Enjoy Serving The
Residents Of This Area And Extend Con<
gratulations To
SOUTH CAROLINA
ON THEIR
300th BIRTHDAY
Sears Roebuck And Co.
College Street Ext.
Newberry, S. C.