The sun. [volume] (Newberry, S.C.) 1937-1972, November 12, 1970, Image 29
Whitmire First Baptist Name Was Changed In 1903
Lower Duncan’s Creek Baptist
Church, the mother church of the
First Baptist Church of Whit
mire, was constituted in 1787 by
Elders Micajah Bennett, William
Wood and Ruben Rollins and a
constitution was adopted that
same year. It was the third old
est Baptist Church founded in
the county.
Soon after the first church was
organized certain "Rules of De
corum" were adopted by the con
gregation; also, a resolution was
passed to give each member cop
ies of the “Rules of Life,” which
were adopted.
A wooden building was erected
around 1804; three or four miles
from Newberry on what is now the
Joanna highway - not too far
from Duncan’s Creek.
No minutes were corded of
the old church until 1830 so there
is no roll of the charter mem
bers of the church. The graves
of some of the earliest settlers
are to be found in the old Dun
can Creek's Cemetery, near the
original church site.
Notes taken from the first
minute book give some informa
tion on the early church. "Church
was repaired and painted in 1856.
In 1864 the pulpit was moved to the
other side of the church to give
more room for the Negro mem
bers.”
In 1865 , in conference, the
church called Brother Mayfield
to preach one Sabbath each mon
th. They agreedtopayhim$50for
the year. “This to be paid in
provisions at the following rate,
corn - $1 per bushel,, flour -
S'? per pound, bacon 15£ per
pound.”
“In 1872, on motion, agreed to
pay Brother F. Camillis Jeter
(brother of Thomas Bothwell Je
ter, once Governor of South Caro
lina and a grandfather of Whit
mire resident, C. B. Jeter) $150
a year for his services.
Other ministers who supplied
the early church included: Mi
cajah Bennett, Jacob King, Hen
ry Rollins, Thomas H. Pope, H.
F. Spoles, G. H. Carter and Har
rison Fowler.
"Very often the pastors failed
to meet their appointments be
cause of high water as there wen
no bridges across the streams.”
Early Clerks and Deacons in
cluded: Nathan Whitmire, J. W.
Duckett, Thomas Duckett, John
W. Scott, J. B. Whitmire, Ba
ruch Duncan, Wm. L. Duckett and
Frederick Whitmire.
Lewis Boyd, a freed man, was
ordained to the ministry by the
church in 1870 and helped found
many of the Negro Baptist
churches in this vicinity.
The first figures found were
of 1803. At that time the total
membership of the church was
76, one-halfofwhom were slaves.
At various times committees
were appointed to confer with
Brethern about swearing and be
ing intoxicated. Women members
were conferred with about danc
ing. After making satisfactory
acknowledgement they were
pardoned. For some bad offenses
the member was not given a
chance to repent; he, or she, ^
the case might be, was turned out
of the church.
After the railroad was con
structed in our vicinity and the
town of Whitmire was born the
population gravitated toward the
new town to such an extent that
the old church was abandoned.
The building was sold and wreck
ed and we are told that some of
the lumber stiH exists in build
ings in or near Whitmire.
For a brief time following this
removal the congregation wor
shipped in the school house. When
this was destroyed by fire the
members “betook themselves to
the railroad depot and later to
a store building.”
In 1893 a building lot was
given to the congregation by “L”
Briggs and a wooden worship
house was built. This was located
on the corner lot where the Bap
tist Pastorium is found today.
Here for 23 years the church
continued its historic develop
ment.
Much of the time it was a
‘‘half-time" church, served by
non-resident pastors, and at
times partly supported by state
mission funds. In 1903 the old
name was dropped and it has since
been known as The First Baptist
Church of Whitmire.
In 1916-1917 the church build
ing was razed and a brick struc
ture was erected where the
church is located today. Rev.
W. M. Whiteside was serving as
the pastor at that time. The
building committee was com
posed of: J. W. Hipp, W. F. Ho
ward, John W. Scott, J. C. Hum
phries and W. M. Rasor. The
church was built at a cost of
$6,000. The heating system and
pews were purchased for another
$3,000.
Whitmire Presbyterian Church
Was Established In 1905
BY MR. JOE SIMPSON SR.
The Whitmire Presbyterian
Church is not one of the older
churches of the Presbyterian
faith, as it was established in
1905. A small group of local
citizens petitioned the South
Carolina Presbytery to or
ganize a church in Whitmire and
on Nov. 27, 1905 this commit
tee composed of Rev. R. G. Mc-
Lees, H. D. Boozer and F. H.
Wardlaw met with the local
group in the Methodist Church.
The sermon was preached by
Rev. R. G. McLees, after which
the following persons conven-
anted together to form the Whit
mire Presbyterian Church: R.
H. Burton, Miss Sallie Metts,
James E. Yarborough, Mrs. J.
E. Yarborough, Mr. and Mrs.
W. L. Osborne, Mrs. William
Coleman and Mrs.' J. C. Wil
liams. Mr. R. H. Burton, Mr.
L. R. Brannon, and Mr. J. E.
Yarborough were ordained and
installed as the first elders.
Mr. Burton was the father of one
of our present elders, Mr. Ross
Burton. First sermon was
preached on Dec. 24, 1905 by
the Rev. R. S. Latimer and
elder Yarborough was elected
as Clerk of the Session. Mr.
C. L Abrams and Mr. W. L.
Osborne were elected as dea
cons. The church was first re
presented at Presbytery at a
congregation at Synod and Mr.
W. L. Osborne was instructed
to obtain prices on lot for erec
tion of a building. At a meet
ing on August 26, 1906, the fol
lowing were elected as a build
ing committee: R. H. Burton,
C. L Abrams, J. P. Herring
and J. E. Yarborough. During
the year 1908 the building was
completed and Mr. William
Coleman offered to have the
building painted, which offer
was gratefully accepted by the
congregation. In 1909Mr. Henry
M. Miller and Mr. C. I. Abrams
were ordained and installed as
elders and Mr. J. L. Miller,
Mr. J. C. Williams, and Mr.
B. H. Herron were elected as
deacons. In 1915 Mr. H. C. Lea-
man was made an elder and Dr.
T. B. Woods made a deacon.
In 1921 Messrs. J. B. Pitts,
G.R.C. Gary and J. L. Miller
were elected elders and
Messrs. J. L. Cook, R. M.
Duckett and W. H. Miller were
elected deacons. In 1925 Mr.
A. T. Quantz was made an elder
and Mr. L. E. Beard a deacon.
The following pastors have
served the church: Rev. S. L.
Latimer Feb. 1906 - March 1908;
Rev. S. L. Wilson June 1908-
Oct. 1908; Dr. D. J. BrimmMay
1909 - Jan. 1911; Rev. Jno. Ros-
boro Jan. 1911-Jan 1913; Rev.
T. A. Beckett, Jr. Sept. 1913-
Sept. 1917; After Rev. Beckett
An addition was built in 1937
while Rev. J. R. McKittrick was
pastor. Rev. McKittrick served
as the church’s pastor for 16
years. This was longer than any
preacher other than Rev. B. E.
Linsey who served the early
church for at least 24 years.
In 1952, while Rev. Paul H.
Bullington was serving as pas
tor, the church underwent exten
sive enlargeent and remod
eling. The new building has a
spacious sanctuary, with a seat
ing capacity of 400, five assemb
ly rooms, a pastor’s study,
church secretary’s office, record
room, organ room and choir
room.
The sanctuary is equipped with
new pews, carpets and five new
stained glass windows.
The congregation worshipped
at the high school building while
construction was in progress.
Open house was held on Sunday,
April 19, 1953 and the corner
stone was laid.
Placed in the cornerstone were
the original items from the old
church built in 1916. These were:
a testament, church roll, copy of
the Baptist Courier, short his
tory of the church and two cents.
New items placed beside these
were: a revised history of the
church, a copy of the minutes
of‘'the Reedy River association
for 1952, a church roll ofpresent
members and a testament
Honored this day were the
church members who were mem
bers of the church in 1916 when
the first church was built on this
location. These were: W. C. Scott,
T. P. Scott, J. B. Scott, Mr.
and Mrs. J. P. Scott, Mrs. J. G.
Setzler, Miss Willie Duckett,
Mrs. J. A. Cheatham, Mrs. Han
nah James, Mr. and Mrs. J. W.
Hipp Sr.
The Building Committee that
served at this time was com
posed of F. M. Setzler, chair
man, Hugh B. Riser, Clerk, Ray
mond T. Abrams and Paul H.
Bullington.
On Sunday, July 22nd, 1956,
memory of Clarence V. Reed,
by friends and loved ones 1919-
1955. ■
In 1968 a modern brick pas
torium was erected beside the
old frame parsonage. When it was
completed the old one was razed.
, The First Baptist Church of
the members of the church and Whitmire has played an active
their guests gathered for a Home- p^t in support of missions and
coming and Mortgage Burning ^ cooperation with large Baptist
Ceremony. As the debt for the groups. It was a member of Be-
new church was retired. Rev. the! Association (cow extinct) and
Ray R. Linville served as pas- from 1825 a member of the Reedy
tor of the church at this time. River Association.
Rev. Bullington was an invited x , r^
guest at the Homecoming and The present pastor is Dr. Da-
assisted in the mortgage burning, vid Thomas. He, his wife and their
Since 1953 the Sanctuary and three children have resided m our
Educational Building have been community for three years. Min-
air-conditioned and a new organ ister of Music for the church
has been purchased. A beautiful is Mrs. Ken Wham.
Baby-Grand piano also graces 1935 - Mrs. Annie C. Jeter
the Sanctuary. The silver plaque revised 1970 -EloiseP. Ram
is inscribed “Given in loving, sey
meeting in Newberry on April 17, i^ft^ we were served by semi-
1906. Sessional meeting held nary students and others until
on Sept 23, 1906 elected Mr. Rev, A. R. Batchelor came with
R. H. Burton to represent the us in Nov. 1923. In 1924 a debt
NEWS-SUN-CITIZEN TRICENTENNIAL EDITION
Newberry County, S. C., November 12, 1070
on the Manse was paid and this
left the church free of debt.
In 1925 a new Sunday School
building was added. Our faith
ful membership paid for this in
a few years, and recently we
built a new manse, bought
the house and lot adjoining our
church, installed a new furnace
in the church and also install
ed a modern air conditioning
plant in both manse and church,
all of which is paid for. Our
growth in membership has
never been of the sensational
type, but we have grown from the
original nine to a present mem
bership of 138. Rev. Campbell
Wallace was a member of our
church at one time, but not a
native son, so we could not
claim to having furnished a na
tive son to the ministry, until
now. Our own Tommy Malone
becomes the Rev. ThomasMa-
lone this year, and we are of
course proud of him. Also Miss
Dottie DuBose, one of our own
is entering the Christian Edu
cation work. We can truthfully
say that we have furnished many
fine Christian Elders, Dea
cons and laymen to some 12
or more states and to four for
eign countries.
Since Rev. A. R. Batchelor
left us, we have been served
by Rev. T. C. Bryan, Rev.
John McEachem, Rev. J. A.
Flanagan, Rev. H. G. Wardlaw,
Rev. C. C. Gamble, Rev. W. H.
Dendy, Rev. David Bridgman,
and our present pastor the Rev.
Vernon West.
-P*c
r
1670-1970
as
The Management And Empbyees Of The
Kendall Company Are Proud Of The Part
Our Company Has Played In The Rich
Heritage And Progress In Newberry
County And South Carolina ...And Look
Forward To Continued Progress In The
Future —
We Are Proud Of Our State And It's
People And Send Best Wishes To South
Carolina On Her 300th Anniversary
■■ Kendall Company
Mollohon Plant
401 GLENN ST.
NEWBERRY. S. C.
Cotton Dept
FAIR AVENUE
NEWBERRY. S. C