The sun. [volume] (Newberry, S.C.) 1937-1972, November 12, 1970, Image 26
2 5? ►*! ** »** » !H 7* b* » -*?
MV
St. John’s Lutheran Church One Of County’s Oldest
.1
Grace Baptist Church
Had 24 Charter Members
The Grace Baptist Church
was organized August 21, 1966
under the direction of Rev. Ho
ward Fisher and Rev. Joe Dean.
There were 24 charter
members, all being former
members of Friendship Baptist
Church of Whitmire, S. C. The
charter members were Rev.
Howard Fisher, Lois Fisher,
Harold Brock, Curtis Hamilton,
Lucy Hamilton, Walter Graham,
Bessie Graham, Cecil Lang
ford, Myrtle Langford, Janice
Langford, Helen Cody, Mar
garet Brotherton, Florence
^rotherton, Estell Tyler, Cleo
England, R. V. Rhodes, Maggie
Rhodes, Donald Rhodes, Judy
Rhodes, Melvin Latham, Joan
Latham, Dale Latham and Joan
Wessinger.
The officers were as follows:
Rev. Howard Fisher, pastor;
Lucy Hamilton, Clerk; R. V.
Rhodes, treasurer; Harold
Brock, devotional leader. The
Trustees were Curtis Hamilton,
R. V. Rhodes, Harold Brock,
Walter Graham, Cecil Langford
and Donald Rhodes. The music
directors were Cecil Langford,
director; and Maggie and Donald
Rhodes, assistant directors.
The worship services were
first held in a small house be
longing toMrs. Mamie Jamesof
Route #1.
The church site is located on
Route #1 just off Joanna High
way, and was donated by Ron
ald and Cleo England.
The first building material
was purchased September 21,
1966. The block was laid and top
put on by contractor Ordie
Campbell. In order for the labor
to be done, besides donations
from church members and
friends, Mr. and Mrs. Walter
Graham furnished a small loan
which was the only indebtedness
throughout construction.
The stained glass windows
were donated by members of
the church. After the sub floor
was put down, chairs were fur
nished from several homes. The
first services were held De-
’cember 18, 1966 in the church.
A special dedication service
was held by Rev. Howard F ish-
er to thank God for his blessings
thus far.
The paneling for the interior
was purchased by special
Christmas offerings. The in
terior of the church was done
by the talented members of the
church and Ronald England. By
March 1967 the interior was
completed. The pews for the
church were bought by the mem
bers. The rostrum and screens
for the pulpit area were built
by Curtis Hamilton and Ronald
England.
The LadiesCircle, which was
organized, furnished the church
with the celotex, light fixtures,
wall to wall carpeting and a
piano.
The church was dedicated
October 1, 1967. The church
covenant was read to all mem
bers present and accepted. This
service was conducted by the
Rev. Howard Fisher.
The Dedication sermon was
brought by the Rev. Jack Crisp,
The Rich Heritage
Of Whitmire And
Newberry County
Have Contributed
Much To The Growth
And Progress Of
SOUTH CAROLINA
We Have Been A Part Of This
Growth In Newberry County Since 1922
1670
1970
‘ ESTABLISHED 1922
SOUTH CAROLINA
TNICiNTENNIAL
*3=2
accompanied by Rev. Joe Dean
and Rev. Marvin Cause.
The first revival was con
ducted the following week by
the Rev. Marvin Cause of New
port, Tenn.
' In the spring of 1968 the brick
veneering was added. Again the
money was donated by special
offerings of members, the
church and Sunday School,
friends and Ronald England.
The construction was done by
Leroy James.
In December 1968 the pastor,
Rev. Howard Fisher, was
stricken with a severe heart at
tack. During his recuperation,
the Lord so wonderfully sup
plied our needs by sending us
Rev. Jack Crisp from Central
Ave. BaptistChurch,Whitmire,
S. C. Rev. Jack Crisp later be
came a member of the Grace
Baptist Church.
In July 1969 the church a-
greed to apply for membership
in' Central District Associa
tion. The membership was ac
cepted by the association. The
association headquarters are
located at Jasper, Va.
On September 14, 1969 three
deacons were re- instated. They
were R. V. Rhodes, Harold
Brock and Olin Stapleton. Rev.
Jack Crisp and Rev. Ronnie
King of Friendship Baptist were
presented with ministers cer
tificates from the Central Asso
ciation. Friendship Baptist
Church is a sister church in
the Central Association. The
Presbytery for the services
was from Friendship Baptist
All records seem to Indicate
that “St. John’s" is one of the
oldest, if not the oldest church
in what is now Newberry
County. It was established by
German speaking Swiss from
the Oberland, the upper country
in Switzerland, and Germans
from the Odenwald who came to
America and settled in the fork
between the Esvapadeema
(Broad) and the Salutah(Saluda)
Rivers on Crims Creek.
The leader of the group sett
ling in the Fork was Johannes
Adam Summer. Soon after set
tling, Summer visited the Ger
man speaking colony at Saxe-
Gotha township which was in
present Lexington County.
There he met the German Re
formed pastor, the Reverend
Whitmire, S. C.
Church where Rev. David Bro
therton was pastor, and new
Hope Baptist Church in Buffalo,
S. C., where Rev. Joe Dean was
pastor.
In December of 1969 the La
dies Circle purchased an addi
tional lot joining the Grace
Baptist Church. This lot is to
be used as a parking lot and
hopefulls for a parsonage in
the future.
January 1970 two additional
men were put on the building
committee: Olin Stapleton and
Marvin Prince.
February 1970 the church felt
the need for additional Sunday
School rooms and began the
construction.
April 5th, 1970, Rev. and
Mrs. David Brotherton joined
Grace Baptist Church. David
is a young ordained minister of
the gospel and, has been with
us in special services since
we have been organized.
The present state and stand
ing is Rev. Howard Fisher,
pastor; Lucy Hamilton, Clerk;
Joan Latham, Asst. Clerk; R.
V. Rhodes, treasure; Harold
Brock, devotional leader; Mag
gie Rhodes, pianist; Olin Sta
pleton, choir director. We have
a wonderful choir and the Lord
has so wonderfully blessed us
with several special singing
groups.
Our present membership is
42.
Three of our much loved and
devoted members, Walter
Graham, Dora Stapleton, and
John Wessinger, have gone to be
with the Lord.
Our Faith Circle consist of 22
members, the present officers
are Lucy Hamilton, president;
Maggie Rhodes, secretary;
Bessie Graham, treasurer; He
len Burton, assistant treasurer;
Florence Brotherton, chaplain;
and Cleo England, food commit
tee.
Our Sunday School officers
are Olin Stapleton, superintend
ent, and treasurer, Marvin
Prince, assistant superintend
ent and treasurer; Rev. Howard
Fisher, Rev. Jack Crisp, Cur
tis Hamilton, Maggie Rhodes,
Lois Fisher, Judy Rhodes and
.Joan Latham, teachers.
Our average attendance is
53 and record attendance is 72.
The chufch membership
wished to take this opportunity
to express our thanks to every
one that has had a part; for the
many people whose names have
not been mentioned, we are
most grateful for your love of
ferings and prayers.
The church membership
wished to express our praise
to God for prompting this small
body of people in unity. Only by
the blessings of God could these
accomplishments have been re
alized by so few members in
such a short length of time.
We desire the prayers of all
Christians for the continued
blessings from the masters
table, and to extend a cordial
invitation to everyone to come
worship with us.
Little Mtn.
Founded 1890
Jalapa is located about seven
miles north west of the main
highway from Greenville to Col
umbia.
The name “Jalapa” was given
to the town on account of the
fact that many of the young
men of that section volunteer
ed for service in the Mexican
War of 1847; all were killed
or died in Mexico at the battle
of Jalapa.
While there have been many
good churches in the com
munity, most of the history cen
ters around the old Tranquil
Church; this church being or
ganized in about 1799.
Jalapa Named
For Battle
Little Mountain was founded
around 1890 about the time the
Columbia, Newberry and Lau
rens , (known as the CNL)
Railroad was built It is about
seventeen miles south of the
Newberry Court House, but was
not incorporated until 1930. The
town is located within the ra
dius of the old quartz zone which
stretches between Saluda and
Broad River.
Early Settlers in the commu
nity were the families, of Hou-
seal, Ruff, Epting, Sease, She-
ely, Wheeler and Feagel. The
background of the community
began when the Dutch Fork
began to be settled in 1752.
The Ruff family owned the mou
ntain from which the town re
ceived its name. It was then
called "Ruffs Mountain”, which
was the scene of many early
socials. Dances were often held
at the foot of the Mountain.
In more recent years picnics,
barbecues and Campaign meet
ings have been held there.
Christian Theus. Summer in
vited Pastor Theus to visit his
family in the Fork and preach
to the new settlers. So the first
spiritual ministrations to the
German- speaking colonists in
the Fork evidently were made
by Pastor Theus. Duncan Wal
lace in History of South Caro
lina says,“ Christian Theus
shed his influence as a minis
ter over Saxe- Gotha and the
Fork for over 50 years, from
1739 to 1789." So it might
porperly be said that St. John’s
congregation evidently had its
origin in these group meetings
under the leadership of Pastor
Theus, several years before the
first mention of a church or
ganization is made in the Co
lonial Council Minutes. We
might consider these group
meetings, recorded as early
as 1745, the beginning of St.
John’s congregation.
In the Colonial Council Minu
tes of February 5, 1754, we
read, “The compactness of the
German settlement in the forks
of the Broad and Saluda Rivers
made possible a church organi
zation and it was for the ser
vice of these settlers that the
Rev. John Gasser, Reformed
Minister, left Switzerland in
1752. This was the founding of
St. John's.
In 1754, a rude little log
cabin was erected to serve as
a church. Evidently these set
tlers had a lively interest in
education , for the log cab
in they built was specified for
a school as well as a church.
Before 1763 the second church
was built of logs, hewn 6x10
inches, the corners dovetailed
in the old German style. It
occupied land which today is
a part of St. John’s Ceme
tery and a granite marker de
signates the spot where this
second church stood.
After nine years, the young
congregation was sufficiently
established to apply to the Col
onial Government for a grant of
land. On October 5,1763, a
royal grant of 100 acres on
Grames (Crims) Creek between
the Broad and Saluda Rivers
was issued under the seal of
King George 111 by Thomas
Boone, Governor in Council,
to John Adam Epting and Peter
Dickert, elders of the congre
gation and their successors, for
a glebe and a church building.
It is interesting to note of the
two assignees, John Adam Ep
ting was German Lutheran and
Peter Dickert was Swiss Re
formed.
The third church, generally
known as the Whit Church, was
built in 1809 under the leader
ship of St. John’seighthpastor,
the famous Rev. Frederick Jo
seph Wallern. This church ser
ved as a house of worship for
141 years and probably is the
oldest frame Lutheran Church
building inSouthCarolina. A re
cent historian thinks it is “ more
than likely the only structure of
its type of architecture in ex
istence." The lines are simple
and architecturally pleasing.
During St. John's 216 years of
existence, she has changed her
synodical affiliations five
times. Most of the pre-revolut
ionary German Colonists in
South Carolina, like the SL
John’s settlers, had been
members of the German Re
formed Church in Switzerland,
or the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in Germany. Living to
gether as neighbors amidst the
hardships of frontier life,they
wisely decided to practice ecu
menicity. So, in 1787, seven Re
formed and Lutheran pastors
with their lay delegates met
and formed a church body Cor
pus Evangelicum. St. John’s
then known as the German Cal-
vinistic Church of St. John’s
in the Fork, was affiliated with
this body. Later we are told that
the Reformed members of St.
John’s decreased in number
while the Lutheran’s increased.
In 1803, the German colonists
in North Carolina formed the
North Carolina Synod. The Rev.
Godfrey Dreher was ordained
by the new synod , and bacame
the pastor of several Lutheran
Churches in the Lexington Dis
trict, St John’s among them.
In 1824, the South Carolina Lu
therans met and founded the
Evangelical Lutheran Synod of
South Carolina and Adjacent
States. The Rev. Godfrey Dre
her was the first President St
John’s was one of the founding
churches, being listed as the
Protestant Lutheran St John’s
Church. About this time there
developed among the Lutherans
In North Carolina and Virginia
disagreements over theology
and church practices. Some of
the more conservative Lutheran
Churches held a conference in
Tennessee in 1820 and formed
the Tennessee Synod. We read
in St. John’s Church’s minutes
of April 1852 with the Rev.
Daniel Eflrd pastor, that the
congregation voted 81 to 3
to unite with the Tennessee Sy
nod. Other churches in New
berry County remained in the
South Carolina Synod, and there
were hard feelings among pas
tors and congregations of the
two synods. Families in St.
John’s became divided. In time
the South Carolina Synod
brought a law suit against the
Tennessee Synod for ownership
of St. John’s Church. Finally in
1922, St. John’s, with other ch
urches who had left the South
Carolina Synod, asked to be tak
en back into the fold and were
joyously received. St. John’s
has remained a member of
this synod.
Today, St. John's is a pro
gressive rural congregation. On
June 11,1950, the cornerstone
for the fourth church building
was laid. This building, stand
ing across the road from the
White Church, is a modern,
comfortable, air- conditioned
brick church in a modified Go
thic Style.
The current full time pas
tor, the Rev. Austin Robert
son, lives in an attractive brick
parsonage built on land donated
by Mr. L.A. Mayer.
Most of St John’s members
are descendants of the founding
fathers who signed the petit
ion for incorporation in 1794.
Though many members live
miles away, they are drawn to
the old church by ties of fil
ial loyalty.
Truly the faith of our fathers
is living still!!
♦ * *
We Are Proud
To Be A Part Of
Progressive Newberry Ck
1670 1970
Jffi
MM
VCJ
Mv
mm*
mm
mm
> • * * •'
Site
Congratulations —
To South Carolina
On Her 300th Birthday
West Electrical Service
By-Pass 76
Newberry, S. C.