The sun. [volume] (Newberry, S.C.) 1937-1972, November 12, 1970, Image 24
i
NEWS-SUN-CITiZEN — TRICENTENNIAL EDITION November 12, 1R70
Central Methodist Church Name Changed In 1901
'L
|
d
F I
Jk
Holy Trinity Lutheran
Was Organized In 1890
Holy Trinity Lutheran Ch
urch, Little Mountain, S.C. was
organized in 1890 with many of
her first members coming from
the Mount Tabor Congregation
which had been organized for
ten years at that time. The
Rev. J.K. Eflrd was present at
the organizational meeting and
served as her first pastor. On
January 1, 1891 the charter
members of Holy Trinity held
their first service and united
with the Tennessee Synod. Th
ese 34 charter members were:
Simeon Miller, J. H. Hipp, A.
Noah Boland, D. Walter Boland,
George Shealy, Jr., David
Boland, J.D. Long, George W.
Long, William L. Riser, Jacob
K. Shealy, Walter C. Bush, Ja
mes H. Wise, Ernest Boland,
Elizabeth Slice, J. Elizabeth
Long, Polly Long, Mary E.
Bush, Elizabeth Miller, Nora
Miller (Wise), Mary Miller, F.
Jane Hipp, Catherine Ramage,
Martha A. Boland, Emma Bo
land (Brady), Mary C. Boland,
Ada Boland (Davis), EUa D.
Boland, Elizabeth Lathan, Fl
orence E. Shealy, Annie Boland,
Tina B. Hamiter, Margaret R.
Long, Martha E. Shealy, and
Mary L. Riser.
The first council consisted of
three elders: Simeon Miller,
Noah Boland, and David Boland;
aid wmiorn pi-
s|r, J.H. Hipp, and J. H. Wise.
In 1893 the number wa/. incre
ased to twelve and in 1931 mem
bership on council was increa
sed to sixteen.
Immediately after organiza
tion Holy Trinity congregation
began making plans for building
a church. A plot of land which
is part of our present church
grounds was purchased from
Mr. Noah Boland for $5.00.
The first church building was
35 x 56 feet, with a vesti
bule in front 8 x 24 feet and
a room 4 x 8 on each end.
There were hand made altar
pulpit, and pews made like those
in Luther Chapel (Redeemer,
Newberry) with a total cost of
the building amounting to $465.
The building was painted by
members.
On Saturday afternoon, Octo
ber 3, 1891, after completion
of the building, the cornerstone
was laid with services conduct
ed by the pastor, J.K. Efird,
assisted by the Rev. R.A. Yoder
of Hickory, North Carolina. The
following articles were placed
in the cornerstone: Bible, hymn
book, church paper (Tessessee
Synod paper) Lutheran Visitor,
and other church literature to
gether with a list of church
members and donations. On the
following day, the first Sunday
in October, the church was ded
icated and the sermon was
preached by the Rev. Yoder.
It is for this reason that annual
Homecoming Services are held
the second Sunday in October
to avoid conflicts with World
Communion on the first Sun
day in October.
By the end of 1893 Holy
Trinity membership had incre
ased from 34 to 127 adult mem
bers. The first wedding recor
ded in the record books was
that ofNora Miller and James H.
Wise on June 6, 1893. The first
confirmation class of Holy
Trinity consisted of seven
members: Moody Boland, Jam
es L. Boland, Nettie Boland,
John A. Bush, Lula Lathan,
Mary Jane Long, and Sallie
Shealy, Confirmed April, 1891.
In June of 1893 a constitu
tion was approved by the cou
ncil and presented to the con
gregation. From 1892 to 1895
and from 1899-1901 Pastor S.
L. Nease supplied Holy Trinity
as weU as St. John’s, Pomaria.
In 1895 the congregation was
placed in the pastorate with
Macedonia Lutheran Church and
remained as a joint parish until
1945. Pastor A.G. Voight sup
plied part of the year 18%
until the arrival of Pastor H.P.
Counts. The GeorgeSwittenberg
home was purchased at a
cost of $676 for a parsonage,
and after a few minor repairs
to the stables and the cleaning
of the well, the pastor moved
into his new home.
The same foundation remains as
part of our present parsonage.
During 1896 more land was
obtained and the present church
cemetery was begun. The first
member of the church to pass
away was John George Shealy,
a charter member born in 1815
who died January 16, 1892. His
great grandchildren who are
members of Holy Trinity today
are: Mallow Wheeler, Forrest
Charles Shealy, Ernestine
CaldweU, Raymond Shealy,
Fred Shealy, Russell Shealy,
Burnell Holland, Carlton Bow
ers, Caroline Frick, and John
Henry Shealy.
It was during the pastorate
of the Rev. H. P. Counts that
Holy Trinity began to ask for
pledges and to use offering en
velopes. Sunday School rooms
were added in 1902. Until 1912
Services were held twice mon
thly on the first and third Sun
day mornings, but in 1912 the
pastor's salary was raised
$440 to the total of 4440 per
year with the request that ser
vices also be held on the se
cond and fourth Sunday nights.
The first mention of a fund
for a new church was record
ed in 1913. The present brick
-structure was built in 1917
at a cost of $14,000 including
$1,200 paid for chancel furni
ture and pews. In 1922 the
church was dedicated during the
pastorate of the Rev. John J.
Long, and ail day services
were held with a picnic dinner
on the grounds. Kerosene lamps
were first used in the church
but were replaced by acetylene
gas lights. These lights were
discarded for electric lighting
in 1926.
Holy Trinity has always been
a teaching church as is eviden
ced by the fact that in Feb
ruary, 1894 the Sunday School
teachers requested the church
council to effect an organiaz-
tion and to elect officers for
the Sunday School. The first
superintendent elected was J.H.
Wise. Others who have served
in this capacity were: Pastor
S.L. Nease, A.N. Boland, Dr.
J.M. Sease, W.A. Counts, C.E.
Wheeler, G.B. Derrick, W.B.
Shealy, and our present super
intendent who has served for
many years, Murray Counts.
The first recorded organiza
tion for children was the Cradle
Rolls, in 1908, with 31 enrolled
between the ages of one and
six. Mrs. W.A. Counts was
the first superintendent. This
work has grown through the
years and subsequently changed
names to the Light Brigade,
then the Children of the Church,
and now the Week Day Church
School. In this present pro
gram there are approximately
100 children enrolled, classes
meet once each week and in
clude instruction for children
from nursery age through the
age of confirmation.
On Sunday night, September
20, 1914 the young people of
the church were organized by
A.J. Bowers, Virgil B. Sease,
and Pastor Long. In 1922 this
organization became known as
the Luther League. The present
League of Holy Trinity meets
each Sunday night, is one of
the strongest, most active, and
largest youth programs in
Newberry County, and is under
the supervision of Mr. and Mrs.
Carl Bowers and Mrs. B.A.
Cumalander.
The women of the church were
organized in 1894 and continued
as the Women’s MissicmarySo
ciety until later becoming the
Women of the Church. When the
ULCA merged to become the
LCA it became known as Luth
eran Church women. This or
ganization is divided into five
groups each meeting monthly.
In 1924 the Men’s Federation
of Holy Trinity was organized
later to become known as the
Brotherhood in 1938 and.today
as Lutheran Church Men.
Ushers for the congregation are
served by this group and they
sponsor the Boys Scout troop
which is also an active organ
ization of Holy Trinity^,
Other ministers who have
served this congregation incl
ude the Rev. O.B. Shearouse
(1905-1912), J. B. Harman
(1923-1925), Dr. E.Z. Pence
(1928-1942) who served as pr
esident of the South Carolina
Synod during this period, Al
bert Stemmermann (1942-1947)
Dr. L. Grady Cooper (1948-
1953), and Garth L. Hill (1954-
1969).
Dr. J. C. Sease was elected
treasurer of the church in
1938 and served in that capacity
for 20 years. Mrs. B.M. Wise
served our congregation as or
ganist for over 30 years.Mr.
Noah Boland, who was instru
mental in the establishment of
Holy Trinity, faithfully served
as an officer of the church from
the time oforganizationuntilhis
death in 1934. Mr. W.B. Sh
ealy served as Sunday School
Superintendent for 38 years.
Holy Trinity would not have acc-
(omplished what it has todai
if it were not for this type
of constant offering of
service by all of her members.
The years 1961 and 1962 were
great years for Holy Trinity.
The Senior Citizens Club was
organized, a cemetery endow
ment fund was established, and
the contract was let for the er
ection of the new Parish Build
ing during the pastorate of the
Rev. Garth L. Hill. Today the
congregation consists of 485
baptized members, with 375
confirmed members. The pre
sent officers of the Council
are: David S. Matthews, Lay
Chairman; Everett Lake, Sec
retary; and Joe E. Lake, Trea
surer. Mrs. John Boland has
served faithfully as organist for
the past several years.
Although Holy Trinity has
been without the services of a
full time pastor since June,
1969 she has continued to grow,
and all of the activities of the
various organizations have fun
ctioned effectively with receipts
surpassing those of any period
in the history of the church.
The members of Holy Trinity
are grateful for the capable su
pply services of Pastor Harry
Webber, Chaplain of Newberry
College, and the Rev. Joe Holt
who is doing graduate work at
the State Hospital, and for the
messages brought to us by the
seminarians and other visiting
ministers, during this interim
period.
The church has just purchas
ed a new Allen Electronic Or
gan, and has spent approximat
ely $6,000 renovating the par
sonage for the next parsonage
family. On March 1,1970 a call
was extended to the Rev. Ch
arles B. Dawkins, a native
of Newberry County, who has
been serving the Board of World
Missions in Japan for the past
12 years. Pastor Dawkins has
accepted this call and will be
gin his work at Holy Trinity
on or before September 1,1970.
The congregation now looks for
ward to working with Pastor
Dawkins and it is our prayer
that under his capable leader
ship, Holy Trinity will con
tinue to grow and to witness
toward furthering God’s king
dom.
* * *
"It is a useful employment for
societies as well as indiciduals
to look back through their past
history and mark dealings of a
kind Providence towards
them.*—Bishop Meade.
And the record of Methodism
in Newberry County should
cause us to raise our hearts in
gratitude to God for its wonder-
fill preservation and should
make us of today more faith
ful and zealous in using the pro
per means for its further ad
vancement
The first settlers of South
Carolina were of different re
ligious persuasions. None of
these sects had any particular
connection with the government,
nor had any sect pre-eminence
over another. The plan in the
New England states of co-ex-
tending settlement and religious
instruction by having a meet
ing-house and a minister as
appendage to every new town
was far from being common in
the Carolinas; and the district
in which Newberry was situated
was no exception to that rule.
As for Methodism, it was not
introduced by immigration from
Europe as were introduced the
Lutheran and Presbyterian ch
urches, but by the evangelical
labors of itenerant preachers;
then too, the early Methodist
churches were generally organ
ized in private homes, not being
served by resident pastors, but
by itinerant preachers who
were usually changed annually
and who served large numbers
of preaching places. Very few
records were kept; hence lit
tle of the valuable history of
Methodism in Newberry Coun
ty during the first half century
of its existence remains.
The history of Central is the
history of the circuit from the
organization of this in 1832,
until it was made a station in
1854.
It is believed that the first
Methodist Society in Newberry
County was organized by Ed-
(CON’T FROM PAGE 4)
improvements were made in the
financial structure of the Col
lege and three buildings were
constructed: the present Cro
mer and Kinard dormitories and
Kaufmann .Hall, the student
union and dining hall. Dr. Kauf
mann was followed by the
current president, Dr. A.G.D.
Wiles
During the 1%0’s the College'
more than tripled the value of
the physical plant with the con
struction of four major build
ings. Plans for a new $550,000
music building were approved
by the Board of Trustees in
the spring of 1970.
At the same time the Col
lege’s physical plant was ex
panding, the Lutheran school’s
student body increased to its
present 805 students and 60
full-time and seven part-time
faculty members.
The curriculum has also
undergone substantial revision
during the past decade with the
introduction of new majors and
the adoption of the 4-1-4 cal
endar. The new calendar con
sists of a four-month term in
the fall, a one-month session
in January, and a four-month
term in the spring. The short
January session gives students
an opportunity to travel, to fo
cus upon independent research,
or to pursue contemporary
issues that are not easily in
cluded in a semester’s course
of study.
Through Creative and res
ponsible education, the College
is actively continuing its ori
ginal mission of training young
men for the ministry. There
are enough alumni of the Col
lege who are presently in
the ministry to supply three
fourths of the 380 pulpits in
the College’s three Lutheran
supporting Synods.
The College has also been
noted historically for its pre
paration of young men and young
women for elementary and se
condary school teaching and
for work in the fields of sci
ence and business.
Presidents of Newberry College
Reverend Theophilus Stork, D.
D.-1859-1860; Reverend James
Allen Brown, D.D.-1860-1861;
Reverend J.P. Smeltzer, D.D.-
1861-1877; R ever end GeorgeW.
Holland, D. D. -1877-1895;
George B. Cromer, LL.D.-1895
-1904; Reverend James A.B.
Scherer, Ph. D., LL.D.-1904-
1908; Reverend J. Henry Ha
rms. D.D.-1908-1918;S.J. Der
rick, LL.D.-1918-1930; James
C. Kinard, LL.D., LittD., L.
H.D.-1930-1945; C. A. Kauf
mann, A.M., LL.D.-1954-1960;
A.G.D. Wiles, PH.D. Litt. D
LL.D.-1960-
. The history was compiled
largely from: J. Benjamin Bed-
enbaugh, "A Centennial History
of Newberry College: 1856-
1956.*
S. T. Hallman, D.D., editor,
“History of the Evangelical Lu
theran Synod of of South Caro
lina, 1824-1924.*
ward Finch, in his home, lo
cated near where Mt. Bethel Ac
ademy was built about 1784.
From The Observer for Dec
ember 2, 1902:
“The South Carolina Confer
ence of The Methodist Epis
copal Church South held its
117th annual session in New
berry. This is the fourth ses
sion to be held here, the first
having been in 1856, the second
in 1865 and the third in 1878.
Newberry County was the first
place outside of Charleston se
lected for these annual gather
ings, the eighth session com
mencing January 1, 1794 being
held at Finch’s in the fork of
Saluda and Broad Rivers some
twelve miles from Newberry.
This was the seat of the Mt.
Bethel Academy, founded by the
early Methodists. Edward Finch
gave 30 acres of land to the
Institution.
This is an old town- one of
the oldest in the state. It was
organized in 1785. The Meth
odist Church was in the county,
however, a year before the town
was organized, being then offi-,
dally represented by the‘Broad
River Circuit’ extending from
the Dutch Fork, in Lexington
County to Pacolet in Spartan
burg County.
The circuit was restricted
somewhat in 1794,there becom
ing ‘Bush River Circuit’. In
1820 ‘Newberry Circuit ' was
formed. Then it included every
Methodist church in Newberry
County except Ebenezer, near
Maybinton, and Mt. Tabor, near
Whitmire, and included also ‘
Hopewell, Salem and Sardis ch
urches in Laurens County. Now
it includes only Ebenezer, near
Newberry, Lebanon, Trinity,
and New Chapel.
In 1854 the church in New
berry was set off to itself and
made a ‘station’, its first pas
tor being John R. Pickett.
The Methodist Church in the
town of Newberry was organiz
ed and the building erected in
1833. There seems to be no
doubt that among those who un
ited in the organization were:
Philip Schoppert and his wife,
Mrs. Polly Schoppert; Mrs.
Schoppert, the mother of Ph
ilip Schoppert; Martha Turner,
Mrs. Sarah Lorick (now Mrs.
Sarah Pope), Mrs. Precious
Shell ( and probably Mrs. Sa
rah Cheshire), Josiah Bishop
and his wife; Thomas Pratt,
Jr. and Daniel Boozer.
The architect for the building
erected ini 900-1901 was Mr.
Hunt of Chattanooga, Tenn.,and
the contractor and builder, Mr.
C.C.Davis of Newberry, S.C.;
the cost of the building about
$12,000.00. The membership of
the church was 266.
The church was called sim
ply the ‘Newberry Methodist
Church’ until 1900 when the
name was changed to ‘John
stone Street Church’, the name
being derived from the name of
the street that ran in front of
it. In 1901, when thenewchurch
was completed on Caldwell St
reet the name was changed to
‘Central Church’ and it is now
so known. The pastor is the
Rev. Walter L Herbert.
The Board of Stewards of the
church: John W. Chapman, W.
W. Hodges, C.H. Cannon, J.W.
White, J.H. Wicker, S.J. Woot
en, P.C. Gaillard, R.L.Tarrant
and W.G. Mayes. The Superin
tendent of the Sunday School is
C.H. Cannon and the secretary
of the Sunday School, P.C. Gail
lard .*
Central Methodist Church of
Newberry, S.C. is located on an
entire city block, corner of
Caldwell and Johnstone Streets.
It is surroundedby a large lawn,
with a stone terrace in front
at the front entrance, which
leads up wide stone steps to the
porch, with an entrance on each
side through a small vestibule.
The interior presents an am-
phitheatrical form of seats on
a sloping floor, in the rear
of the church an elevated pul
pit, and in the center of it a
large pipe organ. The building
is constructed of beautiful white
pressed brick. The architec
tural style is Gothic, with tall
steeples and high gables, with
a steep roof. The arched eff
ect is carried out in its porch
entrances and its memorial
windows of varied colored de
signs.
The Sunday School or “Ed
ucational Building " as it is now
called is in the rear of the
building on the corner of Co
llege and Johnstone Streets.
This building was built during
the pastorate of The Rev. R.
L.Holvrod and dedicated as a
memorial to Mary Frances Wr
ight, mother of Mr. Z.F. Wr
ight.
A centennial celebration was
held in the church on Novem
ber 13, 1932, presided over by
The Honorable Eugene 3. Bl-
ease, at the time the Chief Jus
tice of the South Carolina Su
preme Court It was also a
memorial meeting, commem
orating the following members
who were active in helping to
build the new church: Former
Chief Justice, The Honorable
Y.J. Pope, The Honorable Z.
F. Wright, The Rev. W.L Her
bert ( one of the former pas
tors of the church and presid
ing Elder). Mrs. R.D. Wright
and former Governor Cole E.
Blease.
In 1928 the Woman’s Mission
ary Society celebrated its fif
tieth anniversary, the first Wo
man’s Missionary Society of the
South Carolina Conference hav
ing been organized in this ch
urch in 1878.
The church membership has
constantly grown and the churcl
occupies a prominent place air
ong her sister churches.
The church has been servei
by many able pastors, some of
which are: Coleman Carlisle,
John Murro, Malcolm McPher
son, J.W. Humbert, M.N.
(Uncle Mark) Boyd, and also
R.L.Holyrod, T.H. Vickery, our
present pastor, George Duffle,
.and many others.
The Newberry Observer, Gen
ealogical History-G. Leland
Summer, Sr. Annals of New-
berry-Chapman and O’Neal.and
Newberry City Library & Ot
hers.
SOUTH CAROLINA
TRICENTENNIAL
We Are Proud
To Have Been A Part
Newberry County And
We Welcome
Of The Progress Of
South Carolina.
During Our Tricentennial
Week And Extend Best
Wishes To South Carolin<
CANNON CONSTRUCTION
1732 Harris Street
And SUPPLY CO.
Newberry, S. C.