The sun. [volume] (Newberry, S.C.) 1937-1972, November 12, 1970, Image 23
NEWBERRY COLLEGE HAS CONQUERED CHALLENGES
“Nurture this tender place,
guard it as the apple of your
eye, and you shall see it prosper
in your hands.” This was the
challenge given in 1859 to the
Newberry College Board of
Trustees by Henry Summer,
secretary to the Board.
He was speaking about the new
Lutheran school in Newberry,
which had opened its doors for
its first session in February
1859, with 150 students, a fa
culty of three, and one build
ing.
Today Newberry College in
her 113th year has more than
The Rev. Theophilus
Stork, first president
of Newberry College.
The Rev. J.P. Smeltzer
president of Newberry
College, 1861-1877.
met this challenge, according to
Dr. A.G.D. Wiles, the eleventh
president of the College.
In pinpointing the highlights
of the College since its incep
tion, Dr. Wiles pointed out the
heroic efforts of the Rev. Dr.
John Bachman, pastor of SL
John’s Lutheran church in Ch
arleston, who as early as 1828
proposed a training facility for
the preparation of Lutheran
clergymen, the leadership of
Presidents J.P. Smeltzer and
George W. Holland during the
dark times of the Civil War
and the Reconstruction Period,
the dire and critical moments
of the depression years, and the
resurgence of the College in
the 50's and 60’s.
Owned today by the South
Carolina,Southeastern&Florida
Synods of the Lutheran Church
in America, Newberry College
stands as a remarkable tri
bute to the Lutherans of the 19th
century who "founded her on
faith and nurtured her by pray
er.”
The College’s history act
ually dates back twenty-eight
years before the formal char
ter was issued in 1856 when
Dr. Bachman recommended at
the 1828 meeting of the South
Carolina Synod and Adjacent
States that an institution be
founded chiefly for the purpose
of training ministers of the
church. From this recommend
ation theClassicalAcademyand
Theological Seminary of the
South Carolina Synod was open
ed in February, 1831, at the
residence of Colonel John Eich-
elberger in Pomaria; in 1834
it was moved to Lexington for
its "permanent location.”
The Seminary and Academy
grew for twenty years under the
leadership of the Rev. Dr. E.L.
Hazelius until his death in 1853.
The next year the Synod voted
to take legal steps to make
the institution a degree-grant
ing college; in 1855 it voted to
move it to Newberry; and in
1856, just before the granting
of the Charter,to name it New
berry College. The relocated
school was organized into two
divisions; the preparatory de
partment and the collegiate de
partment which included the
Seminary.
In 1856 land was bought and
the cornerstone of the first
building was laid July 15,1856;
one wing was completed by the
summer of 1858. The prepara
tory department opened in the
fall of 1858 with 50 young men;
the collegeiate department op
ened the following February.
The college’s first president,
the Rev. Dr. Theophilus Stork,
was formally inaugurated Octo
ber 29,1859, but resigned the
following year because of ill
health. Dr. J.A. Brown, pro
fessor of theology, was then
named the acting president of
the College; he resigned in 1861
and returned to his home in
the North. He was succeeded
by Dr. Smeltzer.
The enrollment jumped to
175 during the first full school
year(1859-60) with the 1860
term beginning with encourag
ing prospects, but the Civil
War and a smallpox epidemic
drastically reduced the enroll
ment to 64 men during the
1862-63 term.
The Board reported to the
Synod in 1863:"It is scarcely
possible to estimate the import
ance of the College through
such troublesome times and
severe trials as those under
which our country now labors.
By a constant encouragement
and unrelaxing efforts on the
part of the friends of this Col
lege, it will be built up and
placed on sure foundation ...
and we may hope for a long
and bright and prosperous fut
ure for Newberry College.”
President Smeltzer searched
for funds with which to pay the
College’s debts and to increase
the endowment. By the end of
1864 he had collected $46,000,
which the Board invested in
Confederate bonds.
The enrollment dropped to
30 by the spring of 1865; the
only building was used as a
Confederate hospital and was
Original Buliding on Newberry Col-
legt campus on the site of Smeltzer
Hall. The cornerstone was laid in
1856 with the first wing completed
in 1858. After the war the building
was virtually destroyed during its
occupation by Federal troops. The
original building was razed to allow
for the construction of Smeltzer Hall
in 1877.
0^, Newberry College gym located 1905 until 1924. It was heated by a
on the site ot Wessles Library, serv- large open fireplace
ed Newberry College athletics from
Carnegie Hall was built in the early ing. It served as a dining hall be-
1900’s; razed to allow the construe- fore Kaufmann Hall was built,
tion of the present Cla»,. oom Build-
NEWS-SUN-CimfiN TRICENTENNIAL EDITION
Newberry County, S. C., November 12, 1970
Aerial view of campus (Fix taken April, 1970)
in need of repairsjthe College
was in desperate need of mon
ey, which was impossible to
raise. With this background the
Board voted to close the College
temporarily at the end of the
session.
After the fall of the Confeder
acy, Brigadier General Van
Wyck of the U.S. Army came
to Newberry with a regiment
of soldiers which he quartered
in the College building for a
period of over two months in
1865. During this occupancy
the building deteriorated great
ly.
The Synod authorized $5,000
in 1866 for repairs on the sin
gle building, which was virtually
destroyed during the occupat
ion. At that meeting legal steps
were taken to recover damages
from the Federal government
for the damage done; it wasn’t
until 1898, however, that the
College received $15,000 from
the government for the war-
infllcted damages.
The collegiate department
reopened in the fall of 1866
with 25 students and three fac
ulty mambers including Presi
dent Smeltzer. The Board was
unable to raise the authorized
funds to repair the building;
the creditors refused to reduce
their claims against the insti
tution; judgment was bought
against the property and at
its 1868 meeting the Synod voted
to sell the property.
The Lutheran congregation at
Walhalla offered buildings for
the work of the College and the
offer was accepted. The College
bell, the remnant of a library,
and a few blackboards and ben
ches were the total remaining
property of the College which
was moved to Walhalla in Nov
ember 1868.
The move to the new site
didn’t solve any of the College’s
serious financial problems and
after eight years in the north
western corner of the state,
the Synod decided to look for
another location for the strugg
ling institution. It voted to move
back to Newberry after the city
pledged $15,870 and a gift of ten
acres of land or the privilege
of buying the old site for $2,500.
By this time the creditors had
cancelled their claims. The
School was relocated on its
original site and Smeltzer Hall
was constructed with funds con
tributed by the citizens of New
berry. The move back to New
berry in 1877 also brought a
new president, the Rev. Dr.
George W. Holland. President
Holland did much to get the Col
lege back on its feet after
Reconstruction. During his ten
ure as president, the College
embarked on a building pro
gram which included some fa
culty housing, a boarding hall,
and a building to house a science
facility and a chapel and lib
rary, the present Keller Hall.
The Seminary had come under
control of the General Synod of
the South in 1867 which discon
tinued its operation; but in 1884
it was again made a part of the
College by the South Carolina
Synod, where it remained until
1898 when it was moved I to Mt
Pleasant In 1911 the Seminary
moved to its present site in
Columbia.
President Holland died in
1895; he was succeeded by
George B. Cromer, the first
alumnus of the College to be
come president. During his ten
ure of nine years Congress app
ropriated the $15,000 to the Col
lege for damage done to the
original building in 1865, women
attended classes for the first
time, and the College fielded
its first athletic squad, a
baseball team.
Holland Hall, the present ad
ministration building, was built
in 1904 from the Congressional
appropriation and other funds
raised by President Cromer.
After Cromer’s resignation
in 1904, the Board of Trustees
named the Rev. Dr. James A.B.
Scherer as the sixth president
During his administration the
endowment was increased and
a new boarding hall was built,
partly from funds donated by
Andrew Carnegie.
A second alumnus of the Col
lege, the Rev. Dr. John H.
Harms, followed Dr. Scherer
in the presidential chair in
1908. While he was president
the preparatory department of
the College was discontinued in
1914; the teaching of students
preparing for college was make
the responsibility of the regu
lar faculty until 1926 when
that phase of the College’s pro
gram was abandoned.
The Harms administration
also saw the endowment in
creased, the purchase of 18
acres of land adjacent to the
campus, and the athletic pro
gram expanded to include inter
collegiate basketball in 1911
and football in 1913.
President Harms resigned in
1918 to return to pastoral work;
he was replaced by S.J. Der
rick, professor of history and
also a graduate of Newberry
College. Two of the present
buildings on campus were con
structed during Dr. Derrick's
presidency, the present build
ings on campus were construct
ed during Dr. Derrick’s presi-
dency. the present Mac Lean
dormitory.
Although the first women att
ended classes at Newberry as
early as 1897, it wasn’t until
the early 1930's that the Col
lege became completely co
educational with the closing of
Summerland College near Lee-
sville . This Women’s school
was founded by South Carolina
Lutherans in 1912 but it was
soon decided that the Synod
could support only one college.
A consolidation of the two
Colleges began in 1929 with
Summerland completely closing
its doors in 1931.
In 1930 the South Carolina
Synod invited the Florida Synod
and the Synod of Georgia and
Adjacent States to share in the
ownership and control of New
berry College.
The 24-year tenure of Dr.
James C. Kinard’s presidency
began in 1930. He was able
to keep the College open during
the great depression, the Col
lege’s most serious crisis since
the Civil War and the Recon
struction Era. He not only kept
the College in operation, but
his administration achieved a
departmentalized curriculum,
the liquidation of indebtedness
and regional accreditation.
After 38 years of service
to the College as professor and
president, Dr. Kinard resigned
in 1954; he had joined the Col
lege staff in 1916 after his gra
duation from Newberry.
C.A. Kaufmann became the
president in 1954 and served
until 1960 when he resigned
because of poor health. During
the Kaufmann administration
(CON’T. ON PAGE 5)
s
,U>
Zr
NEWBERRY COLLEGE through
it's various educational pro
grams has been ... a cultural
leader in Newberry for over
100 years. If takes pride in it's association with
Newberry in the past and looks forward tor an
even more productive association in the future.
1670
1970
SOUTH CAROLINA
TRICENTENNIAL
NEWBERRY COLLEGE
Founded 1856
A College of the Lutheran in America