The sun. [volume] (Newberry, S.C.) 1937-1972, November 12, 1970, Image 19
s'-
jlg^SJ^-Crn^EN TRICENTENNIAL EDITION
NewtMKnr Counts. C., Novwnber 12,1270
i-v'SwS -
■
Jm.
. -
v:,;> ,
iw,f.
1. Helena. Site of railroad (hope of the Colombia and Green
ville Railroad, of which Judge John Belton OTfeall was fbst
president. Named for his wife. The first train arrived in New
berry in 1851. Dr. Spenoer Glasgow Welch, noted Confederate
Surgeon, once lived in this village.
2. WeDs House, Fair and Nance Sts. Owned 1
Hagood Clary, a descendant of die builder, «
Erected just after die War between die States.
3. Newberry College. Chartered by the S. C Legislature in
1856. The Rev. John Bachman, noted divine and naturalist,
war first chairman of die Board of Trustees. Smeltzer Hall,
completed in 1878, replaced foe original budding which had
been almost totally destroyed after use as a Confederate Hos
pital and a Federal Garrison. Keller Memorial Had, next to
smeltzer, the College’s third building, was completed du
George W. Ho
-66. Ho
the presidency
HaU, to foe rear of foe west
the presidency of Dr. Geor
with funds secured from „
pensation for damages to the original building by Federal
troops.
4. Harrington House, 1905 College St, c. 1818. Home of Mr.
Frank Sutton. Built by Young John Harrington. Lived in suc
cessively by Dr. Burr Johnstone, Robert Harrington, Col.
Simeon Fair, and John A. Chapman, author of Part II of the
Annalt of Newberry. The original two-story house was raised
and a bride first story built under it about 1851.
mdary St Site of the
Ihe original building,
recently, was erected in 1860. The DeD from foe
tower of foe old building stands in front of the school.
SO. Stewart House, 1001 Wilson St, c. 1835. Built by Robert
Stewart a prominent Newberry merchant A near tragedy
occurred here in 1853 when one of foe servants poisoned foe
family drinking water.
well, whose daughter married Francis B.
skmer in Equity Tor Newberry County. Sometimes called foe
McIntosh House, from foe name of one of its owners, Dr.
Janies McIntosh.
22. Mower House, 1526 Boundary St, c. 1893. Home of Mr.
and Mrs. L. Hart Jordan. An excellent example of fine resi
dential construction by C. C. Davis, one of Newberry's most
outstanding contractors. Built originally for George S. Mower,
it was subsequently owned for many years by the ICeitt family.
23. Coateswood, 1700 Boundary St., c. 1835. Home of Mr.
imeresung JuongjKJUie. juciuings nmvnc nuuzvs uj <
Carolina calk this "the most historic house in Newberry. 1
24. Martin House, 1531 Main St. Home of Miss Cynthia
Martin and Mr. and Mrs. James S. Goethe. Original portions
of this house was built about 1830. It was subsequently en
larged and re-dressed in the Victorian style. This house has
been occupied continuously by members of foe Martin family
for over 100 years.
25. St Luke’s Episcopal Church, comer of Main and Cal
houn Sts. Erected and consecrated in 1855 for a congregation
organized in 1846 with four communicants, this edifice is
built of stucco over brick in the Gothic design with self-
supporting roof. The stained glass windows and enclosed pine
pews are attractive features.
26. Boozer House, 1229 Calhoun St Home of Mr. and Mrs.
A. C. Garlington. Built about foe time of the War between
foe States, by a merchant, Samuel P. Boozer, who married a
daughter of foe Rev. Archibald Montgomery, pastor of Ave-
leign Presbyterian Church, 1856412.
27. Werber House, comer of Calhoun and Harrington Sts.
Unoccupied. Purchased in 1866 by Frederick Werber from
Berryman H. Lovelace, who less than a year before had pur
chased it from Charles Lengnick.
am
28. Pearson House, 1450 Calhoun St, c. 1850. Home of Mr.
and Mrs. Jerry Thomas. Built by the Pearson family on the
comer of Harrinzton and McMorris Sts. Subsequently owned
by foe Bruce and Neville families.
5. Gantt House, 1316 College St,
St, c. 1809. Unoccupied. Re
puted to be foe oldest frame' dwelling standing in Newberry.
Especially interesting because of its Williamsburg-type chim
neys and foe unusual doorway from porch to stairs leading to
attic.
6. 1319-1321 Main St. Site of Coate’s Shop, owned and op
erated by John Coate. The County Courts in foe fall of 1788
and the spring of 1789 were held at Coate’s Shop.” The next
year saw the erection of the first.of foe four Court Houses to
stand on foe public square, donated to foe County by John
Coate.
Courtesy Of
NEWBERRY COUNTY
TRICENTENNIAL COMMITTEE
►
&
&
Y5
* __
\ m
*> A %
V
1^28
/vp ^ V
y
V
\ \
\o Q
\l
\.35 V*-
3 1
ft
rr»
7. Old
Caldwell St, on foe Public Squ
rw
foe front gable was added by Osborne Wells in
1876. The overturned palmetto tree represents a prostrate
South Carolina. The American eagle, represoiting the Federal
Government grasps foe “Scales of Justk* in its beak, at
tempting to balance at one end the gamecock, which repre
sents a still-defiant people, and at the other end, the dove of
peace with the olive branch.
-
1
•12
h* 22
•23
St., c. 1871.1
17*
Mrs.
of Mrs.
30. Old Newberry Male Academy. 19 If Aj-
1870. Remodeled and now the home of Mrs. D. J. Taylor.
Names of some of foe students can still be seen carved in the
boards of this house.
8. Between 1107 and 1117 Boyce St Cardens of foe Standard
Savings and Loan Association. Site of foe Newberry Bank, c.
1852, the first banking institution in Newberry.
9. Oner
type oui
era House, Nance and Boyce Sts. Plans for this Gothic-
type building were drawn by G. L. Normann and contractors
were Wells and Cline. Dedicated in 1882. For many years it
served as the center of cultural and civic activities for New
berry. Now foe ground floor houses foe City Hall. Listed in
“The National Register of Historic Places.”
34/13
SOI a in iov>o w uic iil i.—
Aveleigh Presbyterian Church. Owned later by
ancestors of Mrs. Waters.
S
10. Main. Nance, and Boyce Sts., behind foe Old Court
House. Tne Confederate Memorial Monument stands on foe
site of foe first jail in Newberry, a two-story stone building.
The present terraces on foe sides of foe Monument contain
stone blocks that were a part of foe old jail.
11. Old Newberry Female Academy, 909 College St. Home of
Dr. and Mrs. E. J. Dickert. Considerably remodeled, this house
was originally a red brick building erected before foe War
between foe States. Later it served as foe Newberry Graded
School, from its opening 1888-89 until another building was
erected for that purpose where Boundary Street School is now
located.
12. Ruff House, 808 Boundary St., c. 1850-55. Home of Mr.
and Mrs. O. M. Cobb. Built by Dr. Pressley B. Ruff, 1801-90,
a distinguished physician. Owned for many years by J. H.
Widcer, father of Mrs. Cobb.
13. Pratt House, 734 Boundary St., before 1837. Home of
Mr. and Mrs. Terence Brummett. Originally built by Thomas
Pratt, Newberry merchant from 1813 to his death in 1837, or
by his father-in-law Major Frederick Nance. Occupied first by
foe Pratts and later by foe Rev. John J. Brantley, pastor of foe
V the
First Baptist Church from 1850-66.
14. Gildercrest, 921 Jessica Avenues a 1857 Home of Mrs.
O. F. Armfield. Built by William Nimce, son of Major Fred
erick Nance. Subsequently owned by James R. Leavell and
then by Dr. James K. Gilder, from whom it takes its name. Two
of foe small houses built for slaves still stand in foe rear.
15. Nance House, 516 Boundary St. Home of Miss Corrie Lei
Havird. Built by Erasmus Nance, nephew of Major Frederick
Nance. About 200 yards to foe rear is foe old Nance family
graveyard.
16. Timberhouse, 1427 Ebenezer Road, c. 1855-60. Home of
Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Westwood. This house was first the home
of Jacob Kibler and was once occupied by U. S. Congressman
George Johnstone.
17. Village Cemetery, Coates St. Many of Newberry’s early
and prominent settlers are buried here, among them Dr. P. B.
Ruff; Mrs. Ker Boyce; Cant Basil M. Blease, first volunteer
from Newberry for the Confederate Army; Capt. John M.
Kinard; Gen. H. H. Kinard. one of Newberry’s early sheriffs;
and five Unknown Confederate Soldiers. Nearby stood die
home of John Coate.
18. Caldwell-Wright House, 808 College St. c. 1825. Home
of Mr. and Mrs. W J. Roddey. Erected by John Caldwell, son
of a Revoluntionary Patriot It was purchased in 1866 by
Robert H. Wright, father of Z. F. Wright who later moved R
from its original location to make room for his palatial resi
dence nearby at foe top of College St
t
Historic Map
of
the City and County
of
Newberry, South Carolina
£B£N€Ze*
16
32. 2100 block of Main St. Site of the home of Chancellor
James J. Caldwell. The elegant mansion was purchased about
1842 by Lambert J. Jones, nrominent Newberry lawyer. After
the death of Mr. Jones and his wife, foe former Mary Eliza
McHardy, approximately 196 acres surrounding the house
were purchased by a group of enterprising Newberrians who
removed the house and began what was probably Newberry’s
first suburban real estate development.
33. Williams-Parr House, 1905 Main St., c. 1825. Home of
Mr. and Mrs. Ralph B. Baker and Dr. and Mrs. Ralph P.
Baker. Built bv Capt. James Williams, whose son, General
James K. Williams, Mayor of Newberry, Commissioner of
Equity, and State Representative lived here until 1867.
Owned by Thaddeus T. Duncan until purchased in 1905 by
Henry L. Parr, organizer of Parr Shoals and father of Mrs.
Ralph B. Baker.
34. Henry Summer House, 1213 Crenshaw St., c. 1846. Home
of Mr. and Mrs. C. D. Coleman. Built by Henry Summer,
prominent attorney and State Representative. Purchased after
the War Between the States by Robert L. McCaughrin. This
house formerly faced Main St. and stood in the center of the
block on which now located.
35. Holmes House, 1228 Walnut St., c. 1886. Home of Mr.
and Mrs. Richard L. Baker. Remodeled in 1947, using much
material from foe McClintock House, c. 1850, which originally
stood on the east side of foe 900 blodc of College St
36. DeWalt House. 1217 Walnut St, c. 1832. Home of Mr.
and Mrs. W. R. Reid and Miss Cornelia Mayer. Built by Daniel
DeWalt, planter and merchant, whoee father came from
Pennsylvania before the Revolution. Daniel's daughter Caro
line married Dr. O. B. Mayer, Sr, who enlarged and re
modeled the house. Descendants of foe original owner atfll
live here.