The sun. [volume] (Newberry, S.C.) 1937-1972, November 12, 1970, Image 16
m
• •V- •• *'
St. Luke’s Episcopal Church Is Oldest Church Building In Newberry
NEWS-SUN-CmZEN
TRICENTENNIAL EDITION
*St Luke's Episcopal Church
at Newberry, South Carolina,
was consecrated to the service
of Worship of Almighty God,on
Sunday morning, August 26th,
1855.*
This sentence, handwritten in
an old remarkably-preserved
church register, records the of
ficial founding of StLuke’s, the
oldest church building in the
City of Newberry.
St. Luke's real beginnings, sionaries of the church began
however predate theconsecra- * 0 up country eect’
Mad . a number of years and
its roots are entertwlned with
the establishment of the Epis
copal church in South Caro
lina nearly 200 years earlier.
In 1810 the Episcopal church
established in Charleston ‘The
Society for the Advancement
of Christianity in South Caro
lina* and under the sponsor
ship of this organisation, mis-
Early Settlers Came
To Prosperity In 1802
PROSPERITY- S.C. - In 1873,
a citizens’ group banded togeth
er and appealek to the South
Carolina General Assembly to
allow them to change their
community’s name. The town’s
name- “Frog Lovel*—had been
a source of embarrassment to
the townspeople and they wanted
the name officially and publi
cly changed to “Prosperity,*
taken fromthe name of the local
ARP church.
German farmers settled the
area around this bustling little
town about 1802. The town is not
large; the population barely
reaches 1,000; but its business
es are successful and its people
happy.
Tradition holds that this com
munity was given the name Frog
Level long before there was a
settlement of any kind there.
Near the spot where in later
years stood the Clinton, New
berry and Laurens Railroad
depot, there was a pond around
which the ground wjle remark
ably level. The pond’s frogpop-
ulation was ever increasing.
According to legend, an in
toxicated old traveler lay down
near the pond in a drunken
stupor. Suddenly during the
night the loud croaking of the
frog multitude rudely awakened
him. In his drunken condition
he thought that the frogs were
saving,“Frog Level! Frog Le
vel!*. This fancied interpreta
tion of the frogs’ croaking gave
the community the name that
stuck until settlers began to
resent constant teasing about
their hometown name.
In 1973, the town will cele
brate the centennial of the of
ficial name change. Today, sev
eral old columned house's re
sembling Low-Country plantat
ion homes help the visitor vis
ualize a Prosperity of the past.
But Prosperity of today is work
ing on the future.
Churches On Tour
•OUTM CANOUNA
TMCUTIMMIAL
This church is said to be
one of the oldest churches in
Newberry County. Its organiza
tion goes back to about 1750
when a group of settlers, pri
marily of German and Swiss
origin, came from Pennsylvania
to the Dutch Fork section of
the county. The first building
was a log hut located at the
far side of the cemetery. . .
a tablet marks the site. The
frame building, erected about
1800-1810, was in use until 1950
Aveleigh Presbyterian Church
Organized With 32 Members
7?'
rri
■
V---
THE PEOPLE
As early as 1822 there was a
Presbyterian Church in New
berry, with an organization and
occasional preaching services
in the court house. However,
with its small and scattered
membership and its irregular
ministry of the Word, it soon
fell to pieces and ceased to
Under its present name and
as a permanent institution, Av
eleigh Church was organized
May 30, 1835 by the Rev. Moses
Waddell and the Rev. S.B. Lew-
ers. The thirty-two per sons who
signed the congregational co
venant and became the original
members represent many
prominent names in Aveleigh
and Newberry as of recent
years- such as Garmany, Hun
ter, Clary, Johnstone, Boozer,
Caldwell, Glasgow, Gilliam and
Sligh.
Chancellor Job Johnstone is
considered the founder of Ave
leigh Presbyterian Church,
from the beginning being a lead
ing elder and chief supporter.
He was born in Fairfield Co
unty in 1793 with the heritage
of a pious mother and at least
two centuries of Presbyterian
ancestry. Because of his lead
ership in the organization of
the church and in the building
of the house of worship Chan
cellor Johnstone was asked to
give it a name. He selected
the name of Aveleigh iron: the
church to which his parents be
longed in Ireland before they
came to this country.
Claude A. Calcote devoted
sir
*
much of his time duringfifteeen
years as Aveleigh’s pastor to
the organization of outpost gr
oups. The one in Helena was re
leased to another denomination
after having served that corn-
unity for more than a dozen
years. The Me Cullough and
Queens memorial outposts were
organized into churches and are
making excellent contributions
to the spiritual life of New
berry County.
Aveleigh feels it has made a
valuable contribution to the Pr
esbyterian Church, U.S. through
three of its sons who have been
ordained as ministers of the
Word. Two of these bear a
most honored name in the hist
ory of the church, that of Nev
ille. The third, the Rev. Cam
Wallace, was commissioned as
a missionary and served some
years in the Congo, several dau
ghters of the congregation have
taken graduate training in re
ligious education at Richmond
and at Decatur.
THE PROPERTY
Aveleigh began at Hunt's
Cross Roads, some one and one-
half miles from the center of
Newberry, on five acres of land
donated by Mr. Robert Boyce,
The original building was a
plain rectangle with tower and
steeple on the front The old
cemetery lot is all that remains
today with vaults, markers and
a stone wall enclosing two gr
aves of a Boozer family and
those of two children.
In 1852 the congregation vot-
ed to move to the more cen
tral location it now occupies.
The old building was sold, al
though Aveleigh still retains tit
le to about one-eighth of an acre
including the old graves. A new
Aveleigh was built and dedi
cated in December of 1852. This
church was enlarged in 1892
at the cost of $3,500.
In 1907 the city of Newberry
suffered a disastrous fire which
destroyed the Aveleigh Church,
the manse and outbuildings. The
congregation immediately res-
ponded by authorizing a new
building at a cost of $6,500
and a manse which cost $3,027.
Some twenty years later, in
1930, the church was remodel
ed and the educational annex
built at a cost of $17,000. The
result was a brick-veneered
modern building destined to
meet the needs of a growing
church for many years. This
significant move was inspired
by and under the leadership of
Dr. Marshall C. Dendy.
Another indication of a con
gregation keeping abreast of
its needs was the building of
a four bedroom manse in 1954.
Part of this program included
moving the old manse to a new
location on the church property
to be used for Sunday School
classes. In 1955 it became evi
dent that a larger room for
prayer meetings and other
group meetings was needed. A
fine two-story addition, a gift
from Elder E.B. Purcell and
his wife, was dedicated cm
March 27, 1955.
when the brick building across
the road was erected. The ex
terior features include solid
wooden shutters at the windows,
arched panels over all windows
and doors, and dentil work
around the walls. The original
altar still stands inside and be
hind it, the pulpit with a uni
que sounding board above. The
steps and platform of the pul
pit are missing. The Bible is
dated 1885; the organ, 1754.
Visitors should note the slave
gallery at the rear of the room
and the wide board floors and
walls. The building nearby is
an old schoolhouse.
ion of the state. The Rev. Cran-
more Wallace came on a mis
sionary tour to the up-country
in 1839, and firom his efforts
there eventually resulted the
establishment of a number of
Episcopal churches in the
Piedmont, including SL Luke's,
Newberry.
Mr. Wallace reported that
he held a service in the New
berry County Court House in
1839>nother priest, the Rev.
Richard S. Seely reported that
he held 35 services in Newberry
during 1846. There were four
communicants.
The year 1846 also marks the
first organization of the little
group as a congregation with
an elected vestry; and on Feb.
18,1848, under the name of St
Luke’s, Newberry, the parish
'was admitted into union with
the Convention of the Episcopal
Diocese of South Carolina.
In November 1852, the Rev.
E.T.Walker began his service
as St Luke's first rector,
though he did not reside within
the parish. The church had a
membership of only six Epis
copalians. Others in the congre
gation were interested New
berry citizens, who made inval
uable contributions to the es
tablishment and maintenance
of St Luke’s.
Services continued, some
times in the old Female Aca
demy. Now the congregation
began to work for the erection
of a church building. A site
was obtained in 1852 at the
corner of Main and i Calhoun
streets. Donors of the prop
erty were Stiles Hurd, E.S. Bai
ley, H.H. Caldwell, H.T. Peake
William C. Johnson, N.Bronson,
C.H. Kingsmore, W.B. D.Oyley,
A.C. Garlington, and Simeon
Fair.
Construction was begun on the
building at a cost of $4,000.
The church was built by Con
tractor Hamilton of Charleston
from plans drawn by Archi
tect G.M. Walker ef Columbia.
SL Loka'c was reported
completed in February 1855.
The building was of Gothic
design , with Self-supporting
roof and 19 foot watts, t was
stucco over brisk. The interior
was simple and hanSsome with
enclosed pine pews and stained
glass windows.
On Sunday, Aug. 26, 1855,
the RL Rev. T. F. Davis, fifth
Bishop of the Diocese of S.
C., conducted the service of
consecration. ' Thai afternoon
be confirmed seven persons,
bringing the total communicant
strength to 18.
The first vestry of the new
church included E.S.Bafley
Stiles Hurd, Norman Bronson,
W.B.a’Oyley, W.C. Johnson,
C.H. Kingsmore and A.C.
Garlington.
Mr. Walker resiped in 1856.
From then ntU 1882, when the
Rev. W.F. Dickinson became the
first resident rector in SL
Luke’s history, the church was
served intermittently by mis
sionary clergy. During the last
days of the Confederate States
of America, rebuses from the
South Carolina coastal region
joined the congregation, tem
porarily swelling the member
ship.
Near the close of the war of
1860-65, the church building had
become dilapidated. By 1866
the congregation had shrunk
nearly to non-extstence. To
prevent further deaeration, the
building was bearded ig). Ser
vices were held rhenand where
possible elsewhere hi the town.
It was during these dark
days that a decision was made
to sell the organ before it was
completetly ruined. R was of
fered to a Spartanburg church
for $200 , but the sale was nev
er completed and the organ is
still in use in SL Lnhe’s today.
The year 1889 marked a re
birth for SL Luhe'n, A year of
repair and reskvatfeu was un
dertaken. The Beverend Mr.
Walker, then at Trinity Church,
Edgefield, returned to conduct
the first service In the res
tored church on SepL 6, 1969.
Since the reopening of tbs
church that year, SL Luka’s
has not cloned Its doors, al
though there have been many
periods whan the congregat
ion was without a rector.
Without its devoted laity, SL
Luke's perhaps would not have
survived. When there was no
minister, lay readers conducted
services. Improvements to the
church building were continaed
and despite many difficulties,
SL Luke’s remained resolute.
The list of benefactors to
SL Luke’s would take many
pages to record. Some of these,
now deceased but atm remem
bered for their contributions
to SL Luke’s , were O.Mc
R. Holmes, J.F. J. Caldwell,
C.a Weeks, F.Di McLean, A.
P. Salley, T.E. Davis, and W.
H. Gaver.
Memorial gifts to the church
— crosses, candelabra, foot,
altar, the stained glass window
depicting SL Luke — have hon
ored these men and other faith
ful members of SL Luke’s.
The year 1955 marked SL
Luke’s 100th anniversary. A
three day celebration was held
October 16-18. Since then the
church has acquired the parish
house next door and a rectory
located on Boundary Street
Now, in the year 1970, SL
Luke’s celebrates with other
churches in Newberry, the
300 th birthday of South Caro
lina. hi this tricentennial year,
the communicants number 84,
baptized persons total 105.
The Rev. Frederick C. Byrd
will complete in October 1970
his first year as vicar of SL
Luke’s. Serving from the con
gregation are:Thomas H. Pope,
senior warden; Price J. Pad
gett, junior warden; Dr. J.E.
Wiseman Jr., Dr. Gordon Able,
Le Roy Anderson, D.B. Brit
tain, W.S. Innis and R.T. Al
brecht, vestryman; and R.B.
Brown, treasurer.
The need for additonal sanc
tuary space became evident and
the extension of the sanctuary
by some twenty-one feet at the
front of the building was com
pleted in April, 1959. A new
carpet covering the entire sanc
tuary floor
through the donation of fundsby
file Women of the Church. A few
years later, in 1963, the sanct
uary was air-conditioned and
the heating system improved.
A new organ was installed in
1964, however, portions of the
old organ which dated back to
1907 were left intact.
MEMBERSHIP
The infant Aveleigh had a ra
ther difficult time growing up,
organized with thirty-two mem
bers. There were fifty-five oii
the roll after two years. Then a
group of members who lived
some distance from the church
broke away to organize the Smy
rna Presbyterian Church locat
ed six and one-half miles away.
This occurred in 1838 with an
original membership of 17. By
1850 Aveleigh was barely exist
ing with only 12 names on
the roll. However, when the
church moved intotown to a
new building, there were tw
enty-seven communicants and
the number steadily increased-
to one hundred nineteen in 1870.
The next recorded figures were
one hundred fifty-seveninl926,
and one hundred seventy in 1932,
shortly after the remodelling of
the building.
The record shows 249 mem
bers in 1935, reflecting the
inclusion of significant numbers
of outpost members considered
a part of Aveleigh. By 1946
these branches had flourished
to an increased total member
ship of more than 400. Then
one outpost became a seperate
church and through 1952 the
figure ranged from 324 to 379.
By 1954 Aveleigh was again al
one, and membership stood at
275. With only minor variations
it has remained in that vicinity
until the present 1970 member
ship of 332.
THE MISSION
Throughout its 133 years
Aveleigh has lived to serve-its
own people, the community, the
Presbyterian Church, U.S., and
Christ, the Lord and reigning
Head of the Church UniversaL
Aveleigh seeks to afford its
communicants an opportunity
for meaningful worship on Sun
day, and to inspire them to
serve their God and their fel-
lowmen at all times. The Church
School is well organized to
reach and teach all ages. The
Women of the Church through
the years have made significant
contributions to the success of
the total function of the church.
Currently the officers com
prise a Session of twelve, and
Diaconate of fifteen members,
all dedicated to continuance of
the fine heritage Aveleigh pr-
esbyterlan Church enjoys.
More at a
99
n£ ■ - •
,V
✓
r
^9n ^Appreciation
TO THE PEOPLE
OF THE PIEDMONT
Winn-Dixie Stores ore sincerely
proud to be a part of the progressive and
WetOfic Piedmont area of South Carolina,
it is to the wonderful people of this area
that we owe our success. We, along with
you, have seen the good and herd times.
We have weathered the depressions and
the recessions and hove emerged the
Mecca for budget-minded families.
On this very special occasion, we
renew our pledge to you . . . "YOU AL
WAYS GET MORE AT A WINN-DIXIE
STORE" ... FOR LESS!
mmi
mm
14701970
L PrtoM,th« lowest! 1
2. Quality, the highest!
3. Btampsjths best!
TWO LOCATIONS TO SERVE YOU
Main Street
Whitmire* S. C.
Main Street
Newberry, S. C.