The sun. [volume] (Newberry, S.C.) 1937-1972, November 12, 1970, Image 15
St Timothy Lutheran Church Formed In 7937
NEWS-SUN-CmZEN TRICENTBNNIAL EDITION
Newberry County, S. November 12, 1970
III'
Nil
fill
congregation’s heart Other
Pastors and Seminary students
who have meant a lot to the con
gregation daring vacancies In
clude Rev. A. W. Ballentine,
Rev. George B. Shealy, and
Rev. F. Lavaugn Keisler.
Memorable events daring
Pastor Riddle’s ministry in
clude: June 9, 1968, when Mrs.
J. B. Baker (“Aunt Dosia*),
a charter member and the old
est member (now deceased) was
honored at the homecoming ser
vice. On January 12, 1969,
chimes to the organ of the
church were given and dedicated
to the glory of God and in me
mory of Mrs. Elizabeth P. Ki-
nard by her husband, B. S. Ki-
nard. This meant much to the
congregation since Mrs. Kinard
has given much time toSt Tim
othy playing the organ for wor-
ship services. Then on May 17,
1970, St. Timothy held her first
confirmation service since
1964. The five members in
cluded Betty Kinard, Dickert
Lominick, Libby Lominick,
Ginny Lominick, and Beth Mc
Cullough.
As stated in the beginning,
the history of this congrega
tion is built around a love for
Christ, service to the communi
ty and hard work. This congre
gation enjoys fellowship.. .the
fellowship of a congregational
meal; the fellowship of the men
amid the noise of hammers
and electric saws while doing
work around the church build
ing or parsonage; the fellowship
of the women as they make their
own set of altar par aments or
Chrismons for the tree that
beautifies our Christmas wor
ship services. It includes the
voices and laughter of her young
people as they make kits to
send our men in service in
Vietnam. It includes the hands
of love and compassion extend
ed by her members in time of
death and illness.
St Timothy is a congrega
tion whose members give un
selfishly of their time to the
community. One member, Ro-
nert Baker, Sr., is serving his
third term as mayor of Whit
mire. J. L. Hartman, Herman
Lominick, Sr., and Ray Lomi
nick serve on the Whitmire vol
unteer fire department Herman
Lominick, Sr., David Mc
Cullough, and James Baker
work with the local Rescue
Squad. Other members serve in
various ministeries in the com
munity also. Four young men
are currently serving their
country in military service.
They are Harold Gilliam, Her
man Robert Lominick, Jr. Ro
bert Baker, Jr. and Arthur
Welling.
In the congregation’s minis
try, H. B. McKain has served
many years as church treasur
er. Ray Lominick is Building
Fund treasurer, aminlstrybeld
by the late Furman Dickert for
many years before his death
last year. The pastors of St
Timothy include Rev. Raymond
Ellsworth (1939-1944), Rev.
William Fritz (1944-1947), Rev.
G. H. C. Park (1947-1953), Rev.
Noah Yount (1954-1964) and Rev.
Ralph Riddle (1967- ). R may
be noted that two of the five
pastors married while in the
Unloo-Whltmlre parish. Rev.
Ellsworth married MissGussie
Mae McDonald and. Rev. Rafeh
Riddle married Miss Rosie
Godshall while serving the con
gregation.
The current church council
consists of George Felker, Ro
bert Baker, Ray Lominick, Ste
wart Smith, J. D. Wessinger, J.
L. Hartman, Bruce Campbell,
H. B. McKain, and A. E. Chap
man. The Sunday School Su
perintendent is David McCul
lough. The organist is Mrs.
Rosie Riddle. The President of
the Lutheran Church Women is
Mrs. Julia Wessinger. Serving
as President of tin young peo
ple is Beth McCullough.
The current baptized mem
bership is 77, with 58 confirm
ed members and 19 child mem
bers.
7882
The history of this congre
gation is built around hard work,
a love for Christ, and service
to the community. The Church,
located on Main Street in Whit
mire, was given birth as a re
sult of a survey made by Rev
erend Raymond Ellsworth with
the support of the Board of A-
merican Missions of the then
UCCA. Seventeen confirmed
Lutherans were found. This was
in 1937.
In 1939, the congregation was
organized under the guidance of
Rev. Ellsworth with 50 con
firmed charter members. The
name chosen for the new con
gregation was St. Timothy. The
first church council consisted
of W. D. Kibler, Paul Baker,
John Counts, Marion King,
James Hiller and Tom Stone.
Worship services were held in
the local grammer school until
the Aragon-Baldwin Mill Com
pany made available facilities
upstairs over the old Whitmire
Post Office. Of the 50 charter
members of St. Timothy, a doz
en members still worship in
the congregation. They include
Mrs. Vinnie Hiller, Mrs. Eve
lyn Yarborough, Mrs. Rosa Lea
Campbell, Mr. and Mrs. H. B.
McKain, Mr. and Mrs. J. L.
Baker, Miss Sara Kinard, Mr.
and Mrs. D. C. Metis, and Mr.
k and Mrs. A. E. Chapj
first minister, I
gation united with Augsburg,
Union, S. C. to form the Unioo-
Whitmire Parish. This partner
ship in Christ still exists at the
present time.
In June, 1944, Rev. William
Fritz was called to be her pas
tor. In July, 1946, Pastor Fritz
and his family moved into the
new parsonage on Nance Street
in Whitmire. The property was
donated as a gift to the con
gregation by Mr. Ritchie and
Mr. Joe Simpson, Jr.
In December, 1947, under the
leadership of the late Rev. G.
H. C. Parks, the congregation
purchased an army chapel from
Camp Croft, Spartanburg, S. C.
Purchased at the bargain price
of $4,600, the chapel was moved
to its present location on Main
Street and located on a lot given
by the Aragon-Baldwin Mill
Company. It was then brick ve
neered. A beautiful church was
the result.
Inside the church, the cre
ativity of Pastor Parks is evi
dent. The chancel was rework
ed and given a more worshipful
atmosphere. The beautiful
stained glass window of Christ
kneeling in prayer in the Gar
den of Gethsemane is an ex
ample. It reminds the worship
per of those agonizing moments
of our Lord, yet at the same time
fills the worshipper with a sense
of peace.
The altar of the church came
from the National Lutheran
Center in Augusta, Georgia.
This is the same altar that
gave much moral and Spiritual
support to our men in service
(hiring World War Two. Hun-
dre<Js of mni| received the Holy
58
la 1954, Rev. Noah Yount be
gan his ministry to the congre
gation. His ministry lasted for
10 years until his retirement
in 1964. (Rev. Yount still minis
ters to congregations in N. C.
although he is now 80 years of
age.)
From her first historical
footsteps (first baptism - Syl
via Marian Mett, on July 10,
1938; first confirmation class,
April 2,1938, consisting of Paul
E. Baker, Ruth Baker, William
Hiller, and Dorothy Fruit; her
first recorded marriage on
October 22, 1939, of Elizabeth
Piester and Paul McCarley; and
her first funeral worship ser
vice for H. L. Lipford on Dec.
29, 1942), St. Timothy has stood
tall in her ministry of love in
Christ.
During Pastor Yount’s fruit
ful ministry, the congregation
became self-supporting in Jan.
1959. On June 14, 1954, the con
gregation joyfully celebrated
the anniversary of the 25th year
of her ministry since organi
zation in 1939. The message for
the special service was preach
ed by Rev. Garth Hill, Dean of
the Newberry District at that
time.
Tragedy touched the hearts of
the congregation on July 30,
1959, when a young college stu
dent named Alton JeffSummers
was killed in an automobile ac
cident. This young man, a
student at Newberry College,
was planning to enter the min
istry after graduation.
In June, 1967, after three
years of being without a full
time pastor. Rev. Ralph Rid
dle, a seminary student, ac-
wepte# * eetete
of St Timothy - Augsburg Lu
theran Churches. During these
three years, the congregation
was ministered to by semi
nary students and by Rev. Har
ry Weber, a professor at New
berry College. Pastor Weber,
because of his unselfish service
to the congregation, will always
have a special place in the
1670
1970
Queens
Queens Memorial Presby
terian Church had its origin as
an outpost Sunday School or
ganized and sponsored by Ave-
leigh Presbyterian Church of
Newberry.
Rev. C.A. Calcote, pastor of
the Aveleigh church, estab
lished several such groups as
Sunday Schools and was rewar
ded to see some develop into
self-supporting churches.
Queens is one of these.
The first gathering was on
January 21, 1945, held in the
home of Mr. and Mrs. D.P.
Queen about five miles from
Newberry on the ' Whitmire
Highway. Eighty-six people of
all ages were present. One
week later fifty attended and
were divided into classes tau-
ght by Aveleigh members.
Work was soon begun on the
building of a chapel, headed by
Mr. D.P.Queen who donated the
land and supervised the actual
building. Contributions came in
rapidly enabling the work to
proceed.
In the meantime the Sunday
School flourished with Mr. and
Mrs. Frank R. Higgins actively
Presbyterian History
supporting it. Much of the suc
cess of Queens Memorial must
be attributed to the dedicated
efforts of Mr. Frank Higgins,
then a deacon in Aveleigh, serv
ing as superintendent of the
Queens Memorial
Sunday School for several^
years. Mr. and Mrs. Queen
moved from their home to a fil
ling station to allow the group
to continue meeting in their
home until the chapel was
finished.
On September 3, 1945 Pev.
Calcote began a series ofevan-
gelistic sermons in the new
chapel which continued daily
through September 10 th, con
cluding with an impressive ser
vice during which thirty-four
professed faith in Christ These
with six received by letter, be
came the original members of
Queens Chapel, an outpost of
Aveleigh Presbyterian Church.
Mr. D.P. Queen was greatly
rewarded to see the Chapel or
ganized in his community and
bearing his name. Only a month
later he became ill and died.
The funeral service was con
ducted by Rev. Calcote in the
new chapeL Rev. Calcote con
tinued to preach each Sunday
in the Chapel until he resigned
the pastorate of Aveleigh in
1947. Later in that year Rev.
Neil E. Truesdeii jecame pas
tor of Aveleigh and accepted the
leadership of the Queens Cha
pel also.
Finally the Queens’ member
ship felt strong enough to be
come established as a self-
supporting Presbyterian ch
urch. Application was made to
South Carolina Presbytery at
its meeting on September 28,
1954. The request was granted
and a commission appointed to
organize as a church on Oct
ober 10, 1954, with Rev. Neil
E. Truesdeii as pastor of the
new church which was named
Queens Memorial Presbyterian
Church.
Today Dr. Truesdeii con
tinues to serve as minister and
there are sixty members. Eld
ers are Messrs. Sam Berry,
Fred Harmon and T.O. Bun-
dr ick. Deacons are J.B. Brock
and J.W. Waites.
m
' :'0 : Y
1.664
SOUTH CAROLINA
TRICiNTENNIAL
1970
Newberry County's Oldest Textile Manufacturer
Many Things Have Taken Place In
South Carolina Over The Past 300
The Changes That Have Oc-
• • •
Years
curred Are For The Better — But —
For Better Or Worse One Thing
That Has Not Changed Is The Pride
That The People Of South Carolina
Have For Their State.
Newberry Mills, Inc. And It's Employees Salute The State Of South
Carolina And It's People During This Anniversary Celebration.
NEWBERRY MILLS,
Tarrant Street
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Newberry, S. C.