The sun. [volume] (Newberry, S.C.) 1937-1972, October 29, 1970, Image 7
The Newberry Sun, Newberry, S. C., Thursday, Oct. 29, 1970—PAGE 7
mlmM
Below is a brief history of
the congregation of Mt. Hermon
taken from the January, 1959
issue of the South Carolina Lu
theran.
In the fall of 1888, a call was
issued to the Rev. Junius B.
Fox, D. D., of Newberry Col
lege, to aid the Lutherans in
Peak and the surrounding area
in the work of establishing a
church in the community. Dr.
Fox accepted the call, thereby
becoming the first regular pas
tor of this congregation.
Under the guidance of Dr.
Fox, the work of organization
was pushed with determination
and enthusiasm. On Sunday,
January 6, 1889, a Sunday
School was organized and Mr.
Brooks Swygert was chosen the
first superintendent. At a meet
ing of the congregation on Feb
ruary 3, 1889, thirty-three peo
ple indicated a desire to unite
with the newly formed church.
A constitution and a set of by
laws were adopted.
According to this constitu
tion, Mt. Hermon had been or
ganized “for the worship of the
Almighty Lord, the salvation of
souls, and the spiritual welfare
of this community.”
In subsequent meetings of the
congregation, the following men
were chosen to serve as elders
and deacons: Brooks Swygert,
A. M. Sease, J. H. Shell, P. E.
Eargle, John C. Swygert, F. B.
Lucas, W. P. Summer, M. C.
White, Jackson Counts, J. D.
O. . Bryant and John W. Sum
mer. During the next year, L.
P. Stoudemire, Henry H. Counts
and A. G. Dickert also became
members of Mt. Hermon’s first
church council. Brooks Swygert
was elected first secretary and
W. H. White first treasurer of
the council. .
The first communion service
of the congregation was held
on May 5, 1889, and on June
2, 1889, the congregation voted
to apply for admission into the
South Carolina Synod. Mt. Her
mon received into the Synod in
October, 1889. At that time, the
church membership numbered
forty, and the Sunday School
enrollment was twenty-five.
Since the school house had
been serving as a meeting
place, plans were pushed for
the erection of a new building
to house the congregation. Com
mittees were appointed, a site
was selected, and the members
contributed their labor and mo
ney to the work of building a
church. On March 6, 1890, the
corner-stone of the church was
laid with the Rev. J. B. Fox
serving as the officiating pastor.
On October 5, 1890, the new
church was dedicated.
For a number of years, the
members of Mt. Hermon felt
the need for adequate parish
education facilities. In 1949, the
Sunday School began a build
ing fund by receiving a special
monthly offering. In 1954, the
congregation began to discuss
the possibility of erecting a new
church rather than remodeling
the old building. On July 11,
1954, the Council acted favor
ably on the motion to build a
new church and Mr. H. J.
Smith was elected building fund
treasurer. The building fund
grew steadily and by the spring
of 1957 a new church became a
strong possibility. A building
committee was appointed com
posed of Mr. H. J. Smith, Mr.
F. L. Summer, Mr. G. W. Stou-
demayer and Dr. C. A. Pinner,
Jr.
Additional land was needed
to rebuild on the old site. Mrs.
♦
G. A. Swygert generously of
fered the congregation sufficient
additional land.
In the summer of 1957, the
plans for the new church were
submitted to, and approved by
the congregation.
On December 29, 1957, the
last service with the Holy Com
munion was held in the old
church. The congregation then
moved to the Peak Community
Center where services were
held until it moved into the new
church.
The new church was com
pleted in July, 1958, and the
first service with Holy Commu
nion was held in the new church
on Sunday, July 27, 1958. Once
more, the members of Mt. Her
mon, through united effort, had
erected a building—“for the
worship of the Almighty Lord,
the salvation of souls, and the
spiritual welfare of the commu
nity.”
These who have served as
pastor and supply pastor of Mt.
Hermon are: Rev. Junius B.
Fox, Rev. V. Y. Boozer, Rev.
J. 0. Kinard, Rev. A. G. Voigt,
Rev. A. J. Bowers, Rev. H. P.
Counts, Rev. W. K. Sligh, Rev.
S. C. Ballentine, Rev. J. B. Hai-
gler, Rev. V. L. Fulmer, Rev.
H. S. Petrea, Rev. W. A. Dut
ton, Rev. J. B. Harmon, Rev.
E. Z. Pence, Rev. D. M. Shull,
Rev. Paul G. McCullough, Rev.
E. B. Heidt, Rev. J. S. Wes-
singer, Dr. H. G. Anderson,
Rev. Clarence L. Richardson,
and Rev. Wiliam B. Kyzer.
Presently, Mt. Hermon Lu
theran Church is associated
with Mt. Olivet Lutheran
Church, Route 2, Chapin, South
Carolina, composing the Peak-
Springhill Lutheran Parish. The
Rev. Larry W. Smith is pastor
of both congregations.
As we think about our long
history, we are thankful and
grateful to Almighty God who
has blessed us indeed!
HOSPITAL
PATIENTS
Horace Adams, City
Mrs. Pearl Baker, City
William Ralph Baker, City
Frank Baxter, City
Mrs. Doshia Bauknight, City
Mrs. Clairis Bedenbaugh, Pros
perity
Mrs. Virginia Berley, Pomaria
Miss Margaret Lisa Bishop,
City
Mrs. Eunice Bradley, City
Clarence Bushardt, City
Mrs. Hart Caldwell and Baby
Girl, City
Mrs. Lizzie Caldwell, City
Mrs. Patsy Ann Caldwell, Po
maria
Mrs. Daisy Cannon, City
Mrs. Mary Cannon, City
Miss Cathy Carter, Pomaria
Mrs. Ruth Collins, City
Mrs. Mary Cromer, Pomaria
Mrs.. Angie Davis, City
Leon Dennis, City
Mrs. Mary Alma Glenn, City
Daniel B. Goings, City
Mrs. Bruth Neater Hawkins,
City
Mrs. Willie Mae Hentz, City
Miss Roberta Herlong, Elgin,
SC
Walter Holland, Whitmire
Mrs. Verdell Holmes, City
Mrs. Elizabeth Johnson, City
Mrs. Mittie King, City
Mrs. Aline Lanford, Clinton
Mrs. Anna Leopard, City
Duane Livingston, Spartanburg
Mrs. Mary D. Merchant, Ki-
nards
Vance Miller, City
Odell Mosley, City
Alan Oxner, City
Mrs. Della Parrott, City
Mrs. Mattie Ringer, City
Beaufort Scurry, City
Mrs. Nannie Shealy, City
Orland Shealy, City
Mrs. Elizabeth Sligh, City
Mrs. Mary Smith, City
Mrs. Ruby Spelts, Joanna
Mrs. Blanche Summers, City
Mrs. Lillie Mae Swindler, Pros
perity
Mrs. Ola Swindler, City
Mrs. Clarice Taylor, City
John Waldrop, City
Samuel White, City
Ernest Whitten, Silverstreet
Julius Wicker, Pomaria
Mrs. Eunice Wilson, City
WITH MEN IN
The SERVICES
FT. GORDON, GA, - Army
Private Homer M. Wicker, 21,
son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas
L. Wicker, Route 1, Pomaria,
recently completed an 11-week
lineman course at the U. S.
Army Southeastern Signal
School, Ft. Gordon, Ga.
His training began with a
four-week field wireman course
at an army training center. The
remaining seven-week training
period was conducted at the sig
nal school, where he learned
to construct and maintain field
wire, open wire, and cable com
munications systems.
Pvt. Wicker entered the army
in April of this year and re
ceived basic training at Ft.
Jackson.
He is a 1969 graduate of Mid-
Carolina High School in Pros
perity, and was employed by
J. P. Stevens and Company in
Whitmire, before entering the
army.
STOP
^FROZEN
% PIPES!
k
m
use WRAP-ON
ELECTRIC
HEAT
TAPES
mmt iT NO time \imit
a FREE REPLACEMENT
GUARANTEE!
Newberry Lumber
Company
Cline Street
Newberry, S. C.
Elect a man who will stand up
and speak for Newberry County
INSTRUCTIONS—To vote a straight party ticket, make a cross (X) in the circle (O) urn
Nothing further need or should be done. To vote a mixed ticket, or in other words for can
omit making a cross (X) mark in the party circle at the top and make a cross (X) ma
opposite the name of each candidate on the ballot for whom you wish to vote. If you w
not on any ticket, write or place the name of such candidate on your ticket opposite the
leaving the booth, fold the ballot so that the initials of the manager may be seen on th
Representatives