The sun. [volume] (Newberry, S.C.) 1937-1972, August 06, 1970, Image 3
The Newberry Sun, Newberry, S. C., Thursday, August 6, 1970--PAGE 3
“St.Luke’s Episcopal Church
of Newberry, South Carolina,
was consecrated to the service
of Worship of Almighty God, on
Sunday morning, August 26th,
1855.”
This sentence, handwritten in
an old, remarkably-preserved
church register, records the of
ficial founding of St. Luke’s, the
oldest church building in the
City of Newberry.
St. Luke’s real beginnings,
however, predate the consecra
tion by a number of years and
its roots are intertwined with
the establishment of the Epis
copal Church in South Carolina
nearly 200 years earlier.
In 1810 the Episcopal church
established in Charleston “The
Society for the Advancement of
Christianity in South Carolina”
and under the sponsorship of
this organization missionaries of
the church began to visit the
up-country section of the state.
The Rev. Cranmore Wallace
came on a missionary tour to
the up-country in 1839, and from
his efforts there eventually re
sulted the establishment of a
number of Episcopal churches
in the Piedmont, including St.
Luke’s in Newberry.
Mr. Wallace reported that he
held a service in the Newberry
Court House in 1839. Another
priest, the Rev. Richard S. Seely
reported that he held 35 services
in Newberry during 1846. There
were four communicants.
The year 1846 also marks the
first organization of the little
group as a congregation with an
elected vestry; and on Feb. 18,
1848, under the name of St.
Luke’s, Newberry, the parish
was admitted into union with
the Convention of the Episcopal
Diocese of South Carolina.
In November 1852, the Rev.
E. T. Walker began his service
as St. Luke's first rector, al
though he did not reside within
the parish. The church had a
membership of only six Epis
copalians. Others in the congre
gation were interested Newber
ry citizens, who made invaluable
contributions to the establish
ment and maintenance of St.
Luke’s.
Services continued, sometimes
in the Court House, sometimes
in the old Female Academy.
Now the congregation began to
work for the erection of a church
building. A site was obtained
in 1852 at the corner of Main
and Calhoun streets. Donors of
the property were Stiles Hurd,
E. S. Bailey, H. H. Caldwell,
H. T. Peake, William C. John
son, N. Bronson, C. H. Kings-
more, W. B. D’Oyley, A.C. Gar-
lington, and Simeon Fair.
Construction was begun on the
building at a cost of $4,000. The
church was built by Contractor
Hamilton of Charleston from
plans drawn by Architect G.M.
Walker of Columbia.
St. Luke’s was reported com
pleted in February 1855. The
building was of Gothic design,
with self-supporting roof and 19-
foot walls. It was stucco over
brick. The interior was simple
and handsome with enclosed
pine pews and stained glass win
dows.
On Sunday, Aug. 26, 1855, the
Rt. Rev. T. F. Davis, fifth Bis
hop of the Diocese of South Car
olina, conducted the service of
consecration. That afternoon he
confirmed seven persons, bring
ing the total communicant
strength to 18.
The first vestry of the new
church included E. S. Bailey,
Stiles Hurd, Norman Bronson,
W. B. D’Oyley, W. C. Johnson,
C. H. Kingsmore, and A. C. Gar-
lington.
Mr. Walker resigned in 1856.
From then until 1882, when the
Rev. W. F. Dickinson became
the first resident rector in St.
Luke’s history, the church was
served intermittently by miss
ionary clergy. During the last
days of the Confederate States
of America, refugees from the
South Carolina coastal region
joined the congregation, temp
orarily swelling the member
ship.
Near the close of the war of
1860-65, the church building had
become dilapidated. By 1866 the
congregation had shrunk nearly
to non-existence. To prevent fur
ther desecration, the building
was boarded up. Services were
held when and where possible
elsewhere in the town.
It was during these dark days
that a decision was made to sell
the organ before it was com
pletely ruined. It was offered to
a Spartanburg church for $200,
but the sale was never complet
ed and the organ is still in use
in St. Luke’s today.
The year 1869 marked a re
birth for St. Luke’s. A year of
repair and restoration was und
ertaken. The Reverend Mr. Wal
ker, then at Trinity Church in
Edgefield, returned to conduct
the first service in the restored
church on September 6, 1869.
Since the reopening of the
church that year, St. Luke’s has
not closed its doors, although
there have been many periods
when the congregation was with
out a rector. Without its devoted
laity, St. Luke’s perhaps would
not have survived. When there
was no minister, lay readers
conducted services. Improve
ments to the church building
were continued and despite
many difficulties, St. Luke’s re
mained resolute.
The list of benefactors to St.
Luke’s would take many pages
to record. Some of these, now
deceased but still remembered
for their contributions to St.
Luke’s were O. McR. Holmes,
J.F.J. Caldwell, C.D . Weeks,
F. D. McLean, A. P. Salley,
T. E. Davis, and W. H. Gaver.
Memorial gifts to the church
—crosses, candelabra, font, al
tar, the stained glass window
depicting St. Luke—have honor
ed these men and other faithful
members of St. Luke’s.
The year 1955 marked St.
Luke’s 100th anniversary. A
three-day celebration was held
October 16-18. Since then the
church has acquired the parish
house next door and a rectory
located on Boundary Street.
Now, in the year 1970, St.
Luke’s celebrates with other
churches in Newberry, the 300th
birthday of South Carolina. In
this tricentennial year, the com
municants number 84, baptized
persons total 105.
The Rev. Frederick C. Byrd
will complete in October 1970,
his first year as vicar of St.
Luke’s. Serving from the con
gregation are: Thomas H. Pope,
senior warden; Price J. Pad
gett, junior warden; Dr. J. E.
Wiseman, Jr., Dr. Gordon Able,
LeRoy Anderson, D. B. Brit
tain, W. S. Mclnnis and R. T.
Albrecht, vestrymen; and R. B.
Brown, treasurer.
City Building
Permits
Building permits issued by the
City last week showed construct
ion value of $47,555. They were
issued to:
James O. Myers, repairs, 601
Caldwell St.: Johnny Stribble,
repairs, 36 Player St.; Robert
Dowd, repairs, 1304 Silas St.;
John Wagner, erect dwelling,
Amelia St.; Alverta Reeder, re
pairs, 211 Caldwell St.; Bobby
Forbis, erect dwelling, 1121 Leita
St.; Jack Senn, addition, 626
O’Neal St.; Mrs. T. E. Davis,
repairs, 1511 Main St; Sum
mer Memorial Church, erect
building, Milligan St.; and Frank
Sligh, repairs, 1908 Charles St.
M0VINGS
J. Hugh Chappell is making
his home at 1524 Martin Street.
Mr. and Mrs. Robert Stan-
berry are living at 1321 Wheeler
Street.
/IT
* THAT'S CHINESE FOR:
WE APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS... VELLY MUCH
avsatgs and Loan Association
\ INSURED * * SAVINGS INSTITUTION FOUNDED 10 35
VT