The sun. [volume] (Newberry, S.C.) 1937-1972, July 23, 1970, Image 5

Below is the OCR text representation for this newspapers page. It is also available as plain text as well as XML.

The Newberry Sun, Newberry, S. C., Thursday, July 23, 1970—PAGE 5 On Sunday, July 10, 1853 some Lutherans and friends in the village of Newberry met in the Courthouse for worship. The Service was conducted by the Rev. Thaddeus S. Boinest, who was then serving the Bethlehem congregation near Pomaria. He • had often visited in Newberry and had discussed with Dr. O.B. Mayer, Major Henry Summer and Matthias Barre the organi zation of a congregation in New berry. On that Sunday a con gregation was organized with 21 members enrolled and the name “Luther Chapel” was cho sen. On a lot donated by Nathan Hunter on Boundary Street op posite the terminus of McKib- ben Street a wooden building of Gothic style with steeple and bell was completed December 1, 1854. Communion ware (two patens given by the Juvenile Sewing Society of St. John’s Church in Charleston, and a sil ver chalice given by Adam G. Summer) used at the time of the church dedication on De cember 10, 1854 are still in use at communions in the Church of the Redeemer. After Pastor Boinest resigned in 1856 to join the Newberry College faculty the small con gregation was served for the next 17 years by pastors who were either Newberry College presidents or professors or who also served other congregations. Several of these persons came from then-distant sections of the nation, such as Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia. The first full-time pastor was the Rev. H. W. Kuhns of Omaha, Nebraska. During his five year pastorate, marked by much membership growth, a parson age adjacent to the church was built, and after 97 years it is still standing. In 1896, in the pastorate of Dr. Junius Fox, the congregation’s second house of worship was built at the corners of Bound ary, Wilson, and Johnstone Streets where the present build ing now stands. The second building was constructed at a cost of $14,500 and was of Rom anesque architecture, featuring arched doors and imported stained glass windows, a high- vaulted ceiling above an octa- gonally shaped interior, and the “1854” bell in the tower at the northwest corner. At that time, when the membership was about 300, the congregation changed to the present name of “Luther an Church of The Redeemer”. While Dr. William L. Seabrook was pastor, the first pipe organ was installed in 1903 and in 1906 thre was built on the south west corner of the church pro perty a second parsonage which since 1962 has served as a Par ish House for varied purposes. The present parsonage on Evans Circle was purchased in 1962 at a cost of $25,000. Under the pas toral leadership first of Dr. C.A. Freed and later of Dr. J. C. Peery there was added to the second church building in 1923- 24 a Sunday School annex at a cost of $40,000, to meet the edu cational needs of the growing congregation and also to pro vide more seating capacity for the baccalaureate and other oc casions of the closely-associated Newberry College constituency. In 1951 the congregation in augurated a long-range program for improved and new facilities for education and for worship. The present Education Building was completed in 1955 at a cost of $70,000 during the pastorate of the Rev. Paul E. Monroe, Jr. Property for the church parking lot was purchased in 1959 for $10,000. The present Church building was completed in 1965 during the present pastorate of Dr. Henry A. McCullough, Jr. to larger communities for eco nomic and professional oppor tunities, and the general social and religious unrest in recent years have presented problems for growth and for program. But the Ciiurch of the Redeemer and its present pastor face for ward with determination to con tinue toward fulfillment of mis sion and ministry. Following is a list of the past ors of the congregation: Thaddeus Boinest, 1854-56; William Berley, 1856-58; J. A. Brown, D.D., 1858-60; Theophilus Stork, D.D., 1859-60; J. P. Smelt- zer, D.D., 1861-68; Jacob Haw kins, D.D., supplied in 1869; H. S, Wingard, 1870-72; H. W. Kuhns, D.D., 1873-78; S. P. Hughes, 1879-81; J. Steck, D.D., 1882-83; A. D. McMackin, 1885- 87; W. C. Schaeffer, D.D., 1887- 92; Junius B. Fox, Ph. D., D.D., 1893-99; M.G.G. Scherer, D.D., 1899-1902; W. L. Seabrook, D.D., 1902-08;; Edward Fulenwider, D.D., 1908-20; Charles A.Freed, D.D., 1921-25; J. C. Peery, D.D., 1925-31; R. A. Goodman, D.D., at a cost of about $405,000 for building and furnishings and pipe organ. During the nine teen months of construction of the new Church the congrega tion worshipped in the auditor ium of the Boundary Street School. When the 1896 church and the 1923-24 annex were dismantled in 1964 due to construction of the new church the stained glass windows (which were me morials to ministers and lay men who were early founders) and the bell were retained in storage for future use. Also re tained were the baptismal font, the organ chimes, and other furnishings and equipment suit able for continuing use. Of wide spread interest was the old cor nerstone and metal box from the second church containing earlier and then-current histori cal items, some of which were badly deteriorated and others of which were placed in the new church cornerstone box, or stor ed in the records vault. During these 117 years the Church of the Redeemer has been inseparably related to Newberry College (and for a few years to the Theological Seminary included there), to the Newberry Community, and to the larger life and work of the Lutheran Church. From the be ginning the congregation has tiad college presidents and pro- lessors among its pastors and many college-related families, md students among its mem- Ders and constituency. This congregation has contri- juted many leaders of the reli gious, civic, educational, cultur- il and political developments n the Newberry community and far beyond. Concern for the lar ger interests of the general Church was early evidenced by pastors and laymen in the pub lication of catechisms, a Book of Worship, of Church papers, such as the former Lutheran Visitor (later the Lutheran Church Visitor), and in the form ation of missionary societies, both local and state-wide. One of Redeemer’s pastors, Dr. M. G.G. Scherer later became pre sident of the United Synod of The South and was elected as the first secretary of the United Lutheran Church in America at its merger in 1918. Four members of the congre gation built two missions in Newberry: Mayer Memorial in 1900 by Dr. O. B. Mayer in memory of his father; Summer Memorial in 1910 by the tnree Summer brothers in memory of their mother. When a new mis sion, Faith Lutheran, was or ganized in 1961, Redeemer trans ferred fifty-four members at that time and others since then. At the time of the congrega tion’s centennial celebration in 1953 there were recognized four teen sons and daughters of the congregation who had gone into full-time church work at home and abroad. These included some who were called to work of special importance and prom inence, including Miss Mary Lou Bowers who in 1914 went as the first woman missionary to Jap an. In 1950 the congregation be gan a program of assuming part of missionary salary support, which now includes two over seas missionary pastors. During World War II the mili tary service flag of the Church of the Redeemer carried up to 100 stars, including three gold stars. The Pastor during that period, Dr. E. Bryan Keisler, was granted a leave of absence for several years to serve as a military chaplain. For pastor al ministry during that period and at several earlier periods the congregation elected Dr. R. A. Goodman of Newberry College the “Pastor Emeritus”. Many clergy and lay members of the Church of the Redeemer have been elected to service on important boards and agencies of the South Carolina Synod, and also of the general Lutheran bodies to which this congrega tion has belonged in various periods in its history. All of these relationships have given to the congregation a rich heritage of> leadership and a wide range of membership, which together have produced generous response of the var ious causes and campaigns of the congregation, the college, the community, other institu tions of education and of mercy, and the general church. In common with congregations of other denominations in New berry City and County, popula tion shifts, migration of youth supplied at various times from 1930- 1957; E. B. Keisler, D.D., 1931- 46; Paul E. Monroe, Jr., S. T.M., 1947-58; H. A. McCul lough, Jr., D.D., 1959-present. HOSPITAL PATIENTS Mrs. Dovie Ruth Adams, Pros perity Mrs. Allie Ruth Andrews and Baby Girl, Johnston Miss Natalie Atchison, City Mrs. Nellie Bennett, City Mrs. Geneva Bickerstaff, City James D. Brown, City Robert Caldwell, Pomaria Mrs. Mary E. Cromer, Pomaria Mrs. Ora Darby, City Baby Boy Dickert, City Mrs. Norma Epting, Pomaria Miss Christy Faw, City Mrs. Margaret Fouche, City Luther Fowler, City Clifton Free, Pomaria William Frye, City Guerry Fulmer, City Mrs. Clara Gallman, City Mrs. Dottie Hawkins, Prosper- ity Colie Hentz, City Mrs. Sally Holman, Prosperity Mrs. Verdell Holmes, City Bluford Hunter, City Irvine Leslie, City Howard Lipscomb, Prosperity John Livingston, City Willie Longshore, City Mrs. Mamie Matthews, Pros perity Sim Mathis, City James Minick, Saluda Thomas Edgar Morris, Joanna Mrs. Laura Parrott, City Master Keith Phipps, Columbia Miss Addie Renwick, City Mrs. Edith Ruff, City Henry Holland Ruff, City Mrs. Maggie Senn, City Miss Annie Rae Sims and Baby Girl, City Mrs. Terry Stutts and Baby Girl, Silverstreet Mrs. Wanda Sue Templeton and Baby Boy, City Mrs. Betty Williams, City H. B. Wilson, City Mrs. Pearlee Wilson, City Miss Melinda Wise, City Mrs. Margaret Workman, Kin- ards TIMOTHY BROOKS' FATHER DIES Ralston B. Brooks, 72, of And erson, died Friday in Columbia. He was the father of Timothy L. Brooks of this city, was a retired barber and attended the Jehovah Witness Church. Funeral services were hied Sunday in Anderson. II* | - : grid practice Fifty-eight Newberry College Indians are expected to report for pre-season football practice August 25, according to head football coach Fred Herren. Included in the 58 potential gridders are five seniors, 14 jun iors, 19 sophomores, and twen ty freshmen; 25 of them are letter men. Herren and his three-m a n coaching staff of Steve Robert son, Horace Turbeville, and Harold Wheeler will have only two and one-half weeks to pre pare the squad for the opening Emory and Henry College, of Emory, Va. on the Newberry College field. Nwberry will play 11 games this year, including a full slate of five Carolinas Conference games. Six of the games are at home and five on the road.The season will close with the tradi tional Thanksgiving clash against neighboring Presbyter ian College at Clinton. FINAL CLEAN UP! 306 PAIRS $8.99 Reg. $14 to $24 NO EXCHANGE NO LAYAWAYS Width 141/2 1 5 [ 51/2 6 61/2 7 71/2 8 ll 8V2 9 91/2 10 IOV2 11 AAAA £ 4 X 3 3 /ft AAA AA / n $ IX it 2. 12 Xe )3 .? l x c i i / v A • 1 / B 1R. 1L. Z£ l£. JJL iO 7 7 7 6? JL Z it c i BEGINS THURSDAY JULY 23 The Fashion Shoe Salon