The sun. [volume] (Newberry, S.C.) 1937-1972, July 09, 1970, Image 2

Below is the OCR text representation for this newspapers page. It is also available as plain text as well as XML.

I\\(;K ‘J 'The Newberry Sun, Newberry, S. C., Thursday, July 9, 1970 (Xhc Nnubmg £>m 1101 llcyee Street, Newberry, South Carolina 29108 miLISHEI) EVERY THURSDAY (). E. Armfield, Jr., Owner Second-Class Postage Paid at Newberry, South Carolina SCPSCRIPTION RATES: 83.00 per year in advance; six months, 82.00. During the year 1845, mem- ley and organized Colony Luth- bers of St Luke's and St. Paul’s eran Church. The first building Lutheran Churches who lived was constructed in the year m the vicinity of the present 1846 in part, at least, from mat- Colony Lutheran Church met erials salvaged from the origi- together with Rev. William Ber- nal St. Luke's Church. For A Worry-Free Vacation Be sure to check your insurance before you leave home. We can be helpful. •YOUR PRIVATE HANKERS” 1418 Main Street Phone 276-1422 That church building was de dicated in August 1846 and the congregation was admitted into the South Carolina Synod on March 2, 1848. Lands for the original tract were given by a Mr. Cook and a Mr. Fellers. Other lands have been acquired as gifts or were bought during the years of her history. The first Sunday School was organized in June 1848, with three teachers and fifteen pup ils. Charter members of Colony Church included: Elders, John Buzzard and George Boozer; Secretary, John Cook; David Cook, John Legrone, Francis Bobb, Michael Fellers, Sarah Bobb, Sarah Fellers and Eliza beth C. Boozer. John McCul lough, father of Rev. H. A. Mc Cullough, D. D., was confirmed in 1845, the year of the organi zation. The congregation worshipped in that church until a new church was built in the year 1884. The second church was remodeled and Sunday School rooms added during the pastor ate of Rev. W. D. Haltiwanger, 1925-34. It was further remodel ed just prior to the celebration of her centennial year, 1945, while Rev. C. J. Rice was the pastor. It was used for worship services until we entered the new church building on April 7,1957. Colony congregation was one of many congregations served by Rev. William Berley during her early history. During the year 1855 she was in a parish with St. Luke’s and St. Paul’s churches. At the very beginning of the present century, she was in a parish with Beth Eden and Mayer Memorial churches. On April 1, 1910, the parish con sisted of Beth Eden, Colony, and St. James’ churches. In 1958 Colony became self-sup porting. Many worthy and respected ministers have served their Lord in Colony Church. From the records that we have, they were: Rev. William Berley, 1845-50; Rev. John C. Hope, 1850-51; Rev. T. S. Boinest. 1851-54; Rev. J. P. Margart, 1855-58; Rev. J. H Bailey, 1859-66. dur ing which time there u'as some connection with Newville. now Grace Church, Prosperity; Also. Rev. J. A. Sligh, 1866- 71; Rev. Jacob Hawkins, 1871- 72; Rev. 11. S. Wingard. 1872-74; Rev. J. 1). Bowles, 1875-81. bur ied in Colony Cemetery; Rev. Jacob Hawkins, 1881-83; Rev. Doctor George W. Holland, 1883- 93; Rev. W. K. Sligh, 1893-99; Rev. Charles H Armstrong, 1900-02; Rev. W. K. Sligh, sup ply, 1902; Rev. J. J. Long. 1902- 03; Rev. R. E. Livingston, 1903- 04; Rev. W. K. Sligh. supply, 1904- 05; Rev. J. A. Sligh, supply, 1905- 06; Rev. A. J. Bowers, D.D. 1909-10; Rev. J. D. Kinard, D.D. April 1910-June 1912, Father of the President of the South Car olina Svnod; Rev. P. E. Shealy, 1912-1915; Rev. L. P. Boland, 1916-24; Dr. P. F. Bloomhardt, Newberry College faculty, sup plied from November 1924 until July 1925; Rev. W. D. Haltiwan ger, 1925-34; Rev. R. A. Good man, D.D., supply, 1934-35; Rev. M. L. Kester. 1935-1943; Rev. W. D. Haltiwanger, supply 1943- 44; Rev. C. J. Rice. 1*944-52; Rev. W. D. Haltiwanger, supply through October 1953; and Rev. Thomas H. Weeks became the pastor on November 1, 1953; Rev. H. A. Dunlap, 1958-64; Rev. Paul G. McCullough, 1964-66; Rev. J. V. Long, 1966 to present. Four ministers of the Gospel of Christ have entered the min istry as members of Colony: Rev. H. A. McCullough, D. D., the Rev. I. Ernest Long, D.D.; the Rev. J. Benjamin Beden- baugh, D.D.; the Rev. Andrew David Eargle, and Mr. Cecil Fulmer is a student at Duke Divinity School, Durham, N. C. 1970. Colony is justly proud of her ministerial sons, and she is proud of many others who have served or now serve their community, state, nation and the world is so many callings and professions. Three people were killed in a car-train collision at Colony crossing on December 18, 1951. From the estates of two of them—Mr. S. V. Shevlin and Mrs. Dora Dominick Shevlin— Colony Church received a con siderable sum of money. Their bequests were the inspiration for our new building which was voted for on August 12, 1956. The Work Gang of Newberry County did our excavating and grading for us without charge. Work was begun on the new church edifice during October 1956, and the building was com pleted, furnished and ready for the laying of the Corner Stone on April 7, 1957. Many people, both members and friends, have contributed money or labor or both toward our new Church; and on Sep tember 1, 1957, Mr. Holland R. Paysinger made a contribution that enabled us to pay the in debtedness that remained on that date. This beautiful and useful building was dedicated to the glory of God and the use of His people in this community on the eighth day of December 1957, and is continuing to serve the community. Fred S. Pope rites Monday Fred Sanford Pope, 80, Route 1, Newberry, died Sunday at Newberry Memorial Hospital af ter a lingering illness. Mr. Pope was born in Wades- boro, N. C., son of the late Wal ter Steele and Mary Beverly Pope. Prior to his retirement, he was a lumberman and farm er, served in the Marines dur ing World War I, was a mem ber of Mt. Pleasant Methodist Church, member of Clinchfield Masonic Lodge No. 265, Dante, Virginia, and of the Newberry American Legion. He is survived by one daugh ter, Mrs. Mary Margaret Mox- ley of Augusta, Georgia. Funeral services were con ducted at 5 p.m. Monday at the Whitaker Funeral Home by the Rev. George Riser. Inter ment was in Rosemont Ceme tery. Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Brackett have moved to 2804 Fair Street to make their home. COMPLETING A CALL through the SB-22 Telephone Switchboard is South Carolina National Guard Specialist Four Stevens L. Johnson, a member of the Headquarters Company, Second Brigade, 30th Infantry Division. SP4 Johnson has served as a switchboard operator of the Newberry based unit for three years, no easy task. The fakir,g of incoming calls and directing them to the proper telephone on the SB-22 network can involve as many as 20 different telephone lines. (SCARNG PHOTO) SERGEANT FIRST CLASS Marvin Sanders (left) and Private First Cl a., a Mitchell Hamm, both of Newberry, inspect a stove burner used to prepare meals during the tactical exercises of their South Carolina National Guard Unit. SGT. Sanders and PFC. Hamm are members of Headquarters Company, Second Brigade, 30th Division located in Newberry. They are currently undergoing two weeks annual training at Fort Stewart, Ga., along with 3,000 fellow Guardsmen. (SCARNG PHOTO)