The sun. [volume] (Newberry, S.C.) 1937-1972, June 04, 1970, Image 6
PAGK 6—The Newberry Sun, Newberry, S. C., Thursday, June 4, 1970
The establishment of Bush
River Baptist Church in 1771
was the manifestation of the
work of two missionaries, Dan
iel Marshall and Phillip Mulkey
who were responsible for organ
izing at least 16 Baptist chur
ches in the Back Country. Their
field stretched from the upper
reaches of the district to the
high hills of the Santee and
from the North Carolina line to
the Savannah River.
The Baptists in the Back Coun
try were Separates, whose an
cestors the New Light Separ
ates, had withdrawn from the
Congregational churches of New
England and had moved south.
As early as 1766, Daniel Mar
shall, one of the New Separa
tist missionaries from New Eng
land began holding meetings in
the house of Samuel Newman.
In 1771, Marshall and Phillip
Mulkey had baptized Samuel
Newman and eight others. Sam
uel Newman and his wife, Mar
tha; his daughter, Uriah New
man Gary; William Crow, his
wife and daughter and two oth
ers, and constituted them into
a church. One of the members,
Samuel Newman, became the
first pastor of the newly formed
church.
From its constitution in 1771
to 1850, a period of 79 years,
the pastors with one exception
were called from among the
church membership. In 1773,
Thomas Norris, a licensed
preacher of Little Saluda in
Edgefield district was called to
the care of Bush River Church
in the place of Samuel New
man who had died. He was or
dained the same year by Phillip
Mulkey and David Rees.
“Thomas Norris was a pecu- '
liar man” who practiced foot
washing of his brethren, and
visited his people and friends
on foot. He preached the doc
trine of “non-resistance” dur
ing the Revolution and for this
teaching was imprisoned in the
old jail in Ninety-Six. He was
offered his liberty many times
provided he would cease to
preach as he did, but he re
fused release on any such terms.
Finally he was released without
condition and continued preach
ing until he passed away in
1780”. (Quote from O’Neall’s
Annals.)
John Cole, Sr., a member of
the church was chosen pastor,
was ordained in 1783 and served
for 35 years. It was during his
pastorate that the church came
to bo known as Cole’s Meeting
House. The church grew and
increased until 1792, when it was
first represented in the Bethel
Association. At this time Mi
chael Landers was appointed
clerk of the church and a regu
lar record of the proceedings
began to be kept.
One of the customs of the
early church was a strict moral
code of members’ conduct.
If a member was guilty of any
misconduct he was brought be
fore the church, asked to make
a confession of his sin and to
be repentant. Otherwise, he was
excluded. Drunkenness seemed
to be the worst sin. Some of the
others were gambling, dancing,
card playing; failing to attend
church meetings; using vulgar
language; leaving the neighbor
hood in a clandestine way; leav
ing just debts unpaid; horse
swapping on the Sabbath and
“many others”.
Mr. Cole was succeeded by
Rev. Charles Crow. “Never was
any religious body confided to
abler, better hands. Few preach
ers were better endowed with
grace from on high, fewer men
in cr out of the pastorate pre
sented more lovable lives than
Charles Crow.” (Quote from
O’Neall’s Annals.)
Rev. Daniel Mangum succeed
ed Mr. Crow and served as past
or for 26 years. The outstanding
event of his ministry was the
great revival of 1831-32 when
145 new members were added
to the church. The First Bap
tist Church of Newberry was
organized in 1831. On October
6, 1831, John S. Carwile and
James Driver were dismissed
from Bush River Baptist to be
come the foundation of the First
Baptist Church in Newberry.
Daniel Mangum, pastor of Bush
River, assisted in the constitu
tion of this church.
The State Convention of Bap
tist Churches in S. C. was or
ganized in December 1821, as
a result of the efforts of Dr.
Richard Furman. In April 1855
an extra session of the Baptist
State Convention was held at
Bush River. This session was
held in regard to changing the
name of Furman Institute to
Furman University.
Bush River was a leader in
Newberry County in founding,
and establishing many sister
churches. It was also promi
nent in the activities of the Bap
tist Association and the Baptist
Convention. Bush River became
a charter member of the Con-
garee Association in 1771. Since
then it was active in the form
ation and membership in the
Bethel Association which was
formed in 1789, and the new
Reedy River Association.
In 1866, at the close of the
War Between the States, the
colored members requested that
Bush River give them a piece
of land on which to build a
church of their own. The church
agreed, gave them land across
the road from the old ceme
tery, and on June 13, 1866, 39
colored members were dismiss
ed from Bush River to join
their new church.They now
have a large brick church fur
ther down on the road to New
berry.
The first Sunday School was
organized in 1862 at Bush River
with Wm. Reeder as Superin-
tendant.
Bush River observed its one
hundredth birthday on the se
cond Sunday in August 1871. Rev
Thomas Pope, pastor, preached
the sermon. His sermon was
later published in the Baptist
Church Organ—“The Working
Christian”.
In the same year, the first
Woman’s Missionary Society
south of Baltimore, organized
after the War Between the
States, was the W.M.S. of the
First Baptist Church in New
berry. The second organization
of this kind in the Reedy River
Association and perhaps in the
state, was formed in 1875 at
Bush River with 40 charter
members.
Several times during its his
tory, the church has been re
novated. The parsonage, built
in 1900 sits across the road
from the church.
During the wars in which this
country has been engaged there
have been many of the sons and
daughters of Bush River who
have gone forth to fight. Many
of them now lie at rest in the
church cemetery. Inscriptions
on some of the markers tell us
of their valor.
In the modern history of this
church, that is, since 1935 the
membership has basically been
right at two hundred members.
The rural setting around which
this church has ministered for
two hundred years is now chang
ing and with this change there
has been a dedicated adjust
ment by the membership.
At the present time there are
six living ministers who have
pastored at Bush River. There
are nine members still living
who nave been members for
over fifty years.
Bush River is a member of
the Reedy River Baptist Asso
ciation, the State Baptist Con
vention and the Southern Bap
tist Convention. It has the old
est record books of any church
in Newberry County. They go
back to the year of 1792. The
church is located some ten
miles outside the city of New
berry. Several years ago a his
tory of this church was writ
ten and on the last page is the
following quotation: “If any
thing should ever happen to this
church and its doors should for
ever close then let me leave
you with these words from II
Corinthians 5:1, For we know
that if our earthly house of this
tabernacle were dissolved, we
have a building of God, an house
not made with hands, eternal
in the heavens.”
City Building
Permits
Russell Addy, repairs, Wilson
St.; Pinkney Wilson, repairs,
636 Hill St.; Emerson Jones,
repairs, 900 Glenn St.; O. F.
Armfield, repairs, 933 Langford
St.; J. J. Fuller, repairs, 817
Glenn St.; Winnie Watkins, re
pairs, 811 Bedenbaugh Street;
Betty Joe Glasgow, locate trail
er, James St.; and Calvin Pad
gett, repairs, 115 Hillcrest Rd.
Total construction value of
permits, $6,530.
New Addresses
Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Tuten
are residing at 1300 Drayton St.
Mr. and Mrs. George A. Love
have moved to Kinard Street.
Mr. and Mrs. J. S. Verner
have moved to Newberry and
are making their home at 1801
Harper Street. Mrs. Verner is
the daughter of Mr. and Mrs.
Aubrey Harley. Mr. Verner will
be associated in the practice of
law with Mr. Harley.
Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Folk are
now residing at 1209 Graham
Street.
PUBLIC MEETING
In accordance with Section 210 (a) of the Economic
Opportunity Act. as amended, the Newberry County
Board of Commissioners will hold a public meeting at the
Newberry County Court House. Whitmire Carver Elemen
tary School and Prosperity Rikard Elementary School on
June 8 commencing at 8:00 p.m. to afford the'general
public the opportunity to present comments and opinions
concerning the intent of the Newberry County Board of
Commissioners to withdraw their designation of New-
berry-Saluda Community Action. Inc. as the Agency to
operate OEO funded programs in Newberry County and
to designate Lexington-Richland Economic Opportunity
Agency. Inc. as the agency the Board of Commissioners
now wishes to operate all OEO programs in Newberry
County. Written comments may be submitted.
NEWBERRY COUNTY
BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
H. B. HENDRIX, Chairman
MAINTAIN A
STRONG NATIONAL GUARD
ELECT
The Only Guard Candidate
ROBERT McCRADY
ADJUTANT GENERAL
To Head Your National Guard
Experienced — Now serving as Assistant
Adjutant General and veteran of 33 years
Guard service.
“Ask A Guardsman What He
Thinks of General McCrady"
Newberry County Guardsmen and friends
for Robert L. McCrady