McCormick messenger. (McCormick, S.C.) 1902-current, June 25, 1931, Image 3
Thursday, June 25, 1931
McCOhidlCK MESSENGER, -McCORMICK, SOUTH CAROLINA'
PAGE NUMBER THREE
History Of Clarks Hill
And Meriwether ,
(3y Mrs. Laura Bunch of Clarks
Hill and Meriwether H. D. Club.)
As land marks of the first set-
Ulsrs, there remains hemes and
ramnants of homes of six families,
Sharpton, Nixon, Jones, Middleton,
Meriwether and McKie. Begin
ning at Clarks Hill we find the old
home of Alexander Sharpton, built
about 85 years ago. The Nixon
home, railroad station, the little of
fice of Col; George Tillman, che
Buchanan and J. D. Bunch. The
homes of George and Jeff Sharp-
ton, the home built by David
Sharpton now owned by his son
Dr. B. T.. Sharpton, U. S. Army.
Bethlehem Church, also thj old
Jones home above Clarks Hill, all
of which tell some part of the his
tory of a young man Jeptha Sharp-
ton, who over one hundred years
ago left his Virginia home and rode
horse back down to South Carolina,
married a South Carolina girl,
Iv^argaret King and bravely started
the battle of life in a log cabin, re
turning only once to his Virginia
home to claim his portion of in
heritance.
Th§ country then was native for
est, ^ild hogs and deer, roving at
will. Jeptha at that time without
kith or kin begun by honest in
dustry and economy to climb the
ladder of life. To him was born
cne son, Alexander, two daughters,
Sarah and Margaret. Sarah car
ried Thomas Nixon a young school
teacher from Virginia. Margaret
married Robert Jones from Geor
gia. The Nixon home represents
Sarah, the Jones place Margaret,
“Cactus Hedge,” how owned by
Mrs. Laura H. Bunch, represents
Alexander. To Thomas and Sarah
were born several sons and daugh
ters, some went to Alabama and
some to Texas, there remains still
in South Carolina grand sons
among ;them, Drury and William
Nixon cf Greenwood, S. C., and
Joseph Nixon of North Augusta,
who still own th£ old home. • There
was born to Robert and Margaret
only one child, Margaret who mar
ried Col. George TillmUn, who in
later life was U. S. Congressman
for eighteen years. To them was
born eight children, of special
mention was Lt.-Gov. James Till-
m&n, Col. Benj. R. Tillman, U. S.
Army and a grandson Maj. Henry
Bunch of the U. S. Medical Corps,
who won honors in the World War,
receiving the D. S. C. .The Victoria
Cross and many citations.
Alexander, tjie nniy son of Jep
tha Sharpton accumulated much
Wealth, and negro slaves, he died at
his home, “Cactus Hedge, at the
£ge cf ninety-two. From two mar
riages ten children live to repre-
one hundred and one years ago, by
the son of Maj. Robert H. Middle-
ton. Inherited by Robt. M. Mid
dleton, Sr., and handed down to
Robt. H. Middleton, Jr. Of late
this grand old place has been of
much interest, the colonial home
with hand carved interior, also its
hand carved columns. This home,
long the pride of the Middleton
name, was sold as an antique, tak
en down and carried to^ Winston-
Salem, N. C., to be rebuilt just as it
was. In its place now stands a
neat bungalow, with all modern
conveniences, nestled around it is
die old shrubbery, and standing
great and mighty are the majestic
)aks, that native forest.
John Middleton, of one hundred
rears ago, married Miss Scott, his
-.on Robert married Eugenia Cal-
>oun, their offsprings of today are
,3ugh C. Middleton. Mrs. J. L. Luke
of Augusta, Ga., Mrs. H. A. Adams
df Meriwether, Robt. H. Middleton
and .he late William Middleton.
Representing these are worthy off
springs, among them six sons of
Mrs. \dams, all of whom graduat
ed at Clemson College, and four of
them holding high positions in the
Engineering world, the others hold
lucrative positions. Mrs. J. L.
Luke has a son and two daughters,
“Treasure” Luke was known in Au
gusta, her childhood home also in 1
her northern home after her mar
riage, as a wonderful violinist, she
was also known for her lovely per
sonality. Hugh C. Middleton is one
of Augusta’s leading real estate
men and owns much of the land
estate of his forefathers, lying
along the Savannah River and in
the vicinity of Clarks Hill and
Meriwether. Robert also owns
quite a bit of the Middleton estate
and is cne cf the largest poultry
men of this community. The late
William Middleton was at one ame
our representative, to the C. Leg
islature and built Locus Hill, one
of the homes of Meriwether, own
ed by his widow who is now Mrs.
John J. Minarik. William Middle-
ton is represented by one daughter,
Mrs. Sam Tones.
John Middleton, another, son of
Maj. Middleton married the widow
of Lawrence Meriwether, who was
Miss Collins. Representing them is
Mrs. D. A. ^T. Bell of McCormick.
The family x)f P. C. Middleton, the
two sons of Mrs. John Rich, one
, j* ♦ • ♦ ,
Louis, living near Clarks Hill and
Middleton, near Meriwether, also
Mary Bell of McCormick the
daughter cf Annie Middleton Bell.
Much of the John Middleton es
tate is still owned by them and
quite a bit hhs been sold to the
Alabama Power Co.
The Middletons are quite proud
of their ancestry, back families
having descended from Middleton,
the singner of the Declaration of
Independence. The Robert Mid
dleton branch of the family were
&/Ori F
•fOUX
(fa
OAHJ
Your Throat
Irritants
Reach for a LUCKY instead
When you visit your physician for your periodic
hoalth examination, one of the very first things he
/. - * / •
, asks you to do is to open your mouth wide, and to
say "Ah." He is examining the delicate lining of your
throat* "Ahj" There is not a man or woman who
could even mdke this simple sound, if in the throat
there were ho Adam f s Apple. For your Adam’s Apple
Is your larynx—the voice box containing your vocal
chords* And what a delicate piece of Nature’s hand!-
i work the Adam's Apple is* A slight (qold—even a tiny
particle lodged in the throat-*:and ogr voice often-*
grows husky. In acute cases, we may even lose our
voice for several days* Don’t rasp your throat with
harsh irritants—Reach for a LUCKY instead—remem*
ber, LUCKY STRIKE is the only cigarette in America
that through Its exclusive "TOASTING" process ex*
pels certain harsh irritants preseht in all raw tobaccos.
Those cxpcliod Irritants are sold to manufacturers
of chemical compounds* They are not present in
your LUCKY STRIKE. No wonder 20,679 American
physicians have stated LUCKIES to be less irritating*
LUCKIES are always kind to your throat. And so we
soy "Consider your Adam’s Apple.
sept* him. Scattered as the wind
scatters seed in the forest .are his descendants from John C. Calhoun.
offsprings, some in Oklahoma, Tex
as, Virginia, Maryland, New York,
Florida, Georgia^ Arkansas, South
Carolina and Mexico.. The writer
of this history spent ' her child
hood in the home of hef grand
parent Alex. Sharpton, and has a
sweet memory of her grandmother,
who was Adeline Bussey.. She lov
ed beautiful things, flowers, home
culture, and education. For her
children she had Governesses,
special tutors and the College at
Due West has graduated many of
her offsprings. Of special men
tion are the three sons of David,
Alexander, now a power in the fin
ancial and business life of Mexico.
George, is one of the leading Am
erican Dentists of Mexico, and Till
man of the U. S. Medical Corps,
was one of five Doctors of the U.
S .Army chosen to attend the Gold
Star Mothers on their Pilgrimage to
France in 1930. Also of mention
are the offsprings of her daughter
Agnes, Dorothy Hagan an accomp
lished violinist and Anthony Pear
son, a graduate of Greenville High
School, also from Furman Univers
ity and now a student of the Uni
versity of Michigan.
In the last four years from the
land estate of the young man
Jeptha Sharpton, who rode down
from Virginia horseback and built
his Jog cabin, there has been $87,-
6()0 wjorth of land on the Savannah
River sold to the Alabama Power
Co. His descendants today still
own much of the original estate.
Among them are, Mrs. Sophia
Buchanan, John D. # Bunch, Benj. J.
Bunch, Mrs. J. O. Marshall, Mrs.
Laura Bunch, Geo. Sharpton and
Jeff Sharpton. On this old estate
near Savannah River is an Indian
mound denoting an Indian' settle
ment. There can still be found
Indian relics. 1
Next, after we leave Clarks Hill
we find the old place where stood
the colonial Middleton home, built
The family also descended from
the old family of “Ready Money ’
Scott of whose history I am not
familiar, but have heard of his
fabulous wealth and to this day
the silver from his table has been
handed to the fourth and fifth
generation.
Mid-way between Clarks Hill and
Meriwether there remains still an
other land mark, the home of Dr.
Nicholas Meriwether, built by him
more than eighty years ago, now
owned by Mrs. Laura Bunch. There
has been four generations, first
Thomas who married Miss Barks
dale. The first Meriwether home 1
was what is now known as the Key
place. The sons of Thomas Meri
wether were Robert, Thomas a ad
Nicholas, by his first marriage, his
second marriage was to Mary Ann
Griffin, to them were born two
sons, Lawrence and Snoden. Thom
as, Jr., died in early manhood. Rob
ert, a Maj. in the Confederate army
left his South Carolina home in
1866 to make his home in Brazil..
Joseph married Bettie McKie,
daughter of Thomas Ross McKie,
born to them were four sons and
one daughter. Nicholas married
Emily Collier, to them were born
thirteen children, of these only
four lived to represent the name,
Henry married Miss Lake of Edge-
field and left no offsprings. Louise
married J. J. Muldrow of Sumter,
to them were born two children, J.
J. Muldrow of Virginia, and .Louie,
who was Lt. of Field Artillery in
the world war and was twice cited
for bravery by Gen. Pershmg.
Louise Inherited the Meriwether
home, and at her death it was pur
chased by Thomas Meriwether.
Colyer who married Miss Quinn
of Frederick, Md., and later to
Mona Nelson of Washington, D. C.,
was an A. B. from Vanderbilt Un-
vierslty, and . Ph. D. from John
Hopkins, was chosen by the Gov
ernment of Japan as a Special
It s toasted
Including the use of Ultra Violet Rays
. Sunshine Mellows—-Heat Purifies
Your Throat Protection ■—ogoinst irritation — ogoinst cough
TUNE IN-
The Lucky
Strike Danes
Orchestra*
every Tuts*
day, Thun*
day and Sat*
urday evening
over N. B. C.
networks.
Teacher of English, and there re- dead, Bethlehem, church was mov- feeding on the green and the white South Carolina and Georgia,
mained three years. He was also ed to Clarks Hill about 45 years leghorns on the farm denote in- The lumber business carried on.
a Voluminous writer, having writ- ago and rebuilt on land given by dustry and pride in a home. Daniel by the Hines- Lumber Co., and W.
ten the Biography of . Admiral Drury M. Nixon. In late years a McKie is an accomplished musician G. Fox for the past fifteen years
Rafael Semmes, and numerous oth-! public school w r as eercted on chis having studied at the Boston Con- brought into our midst many^ North
er books, he was also Secretary of j site. About eight years ago Meri- servatory of Music.' He and his Carolinians who have added much
the Southern Historical Association wether, Clarks Hill, Modoc and' sisters still own of the McKie es- to the business and social life of
during which time this association Parksville schools consolidated , tate about 3,900 acres of land. the community, while the ' forest
accumulated Important data ; of the
Southern States and printed a
magazine, after this association
disbanded Dr. Meriwether
these magazines bound in
forming Washington High School.) Also representing 1 Thomas'i^oss i have been cut away and the hill
The old Bethlehem school building McKie is John G. McKie and Mrs. made bare this industry has tided
is now used as a community cen- John Wood, son and 'daughter of over some of the hard times
had ; ter for Clarks Hill and Meriwether, j Joshua McKie and Eliza Barrett. ’ caused by the boll weevil, previous
book! Nearby stands Asbury Methodist Mrs. Wood owns the old home of .o this, cotton was the money crop
form of ten volumes, being the j ciiurch built in 1924, of English her father. John G. McKie lives
only complete set in existence, j architecture, beautifully located in near Stephens Creek; owns consid-
known as the Southern History! a natural setting among the pines, erable land estate, from these fam-
asrociation. He was also men-! cn land given by W. H. Ryan, the Hies have gone out sons and
tioned in Who’s Who. At the time former estate of Dr. Snoden Meri-
of his death he was a member of! wether. An interesting fa ! rit of this
of the south. The peach industry
bad also been a lucrative ousiness.
There \vere fine orchards grown by
the Middletons, Rowlands and
munches. These oassed out and
daughters. Of special mention are
the four daughters of John G. Me- the poultry business took its place,
the faculty of the Public Schools! church, was his grand son Robt. Kie, who have made for themselves; The home now occupied by Mid-
of Washington, D. C. ! Meriwether, was che first convert names in the teaching world. Near ; I'eton Rich was built by Robt.
Dr. Snoden married Martha Lan-
ham and built the home now oc
cupied by W. H. Ryan, represent
ing him are Griffin Meriwether:
baptized into this church. Robt. is 1 these homes is the
now Professor of History in the Ford. Here a skirmish took place
university of S. C. during the Revolutionary war.
Jefferson Farms overlooking! Meriwether Station was named
Garnette Scott and now owned by John J.
Minarik. Melrose the summer
home of W. M. Rowland of Au
gusta, was once noted for its fine
peach orchards, this place was for-
of Allendale and the offsprings cf Stephens Creek also- represents for Dr. Snoden Meriwether, who
Fannie, who now own the home Meriwether History. Also che lew was its first post master, also the merly owned by Melrose and so
built by her cn che Middleton Fer- heme and filling station now being first railroad agent. H. A. Adams i named by the Rowlands. Nearby
ry Read overlooking the Savannah erected by J. O. Marshall on the has since held the office of post is the home of the late J. W. Johh-
tiver. new highway.
At one time there were in this. Approaching Furey’s Ferry
vicinity 40 members of the Meri- Bridge we find the old McKie
wether name, owning more than home, built in 1320, by Thomas
master. Fifty years ago whei* mail; son, whose mother was Miss Scott,
was delivered only twice a week on a descendant of “Ready Money”
horseback, there was Woodlawn Scott, for 68 years Mr. Johnson was
post office, kept in the home of a respected citizen of the commun-
five thousand acres of land. There !r 0S3 McKie, now owned by J. B. Dr - Thomas McKie and Clarks Hill ! ity, a well read nan.
remains today, only one Thomas, McKie cf North Augusta. Thomas P ost office kept in the home of Dr. | Since the days of natural forest
the son of Nicholas, who still owns r McKie came to this vicinity in Nicholas Merwiether. Later in 1881 wild hogs and deer, there have been
much of the Meriwether estate, he 1315 married Elizabeth Griffin,
married Alice Smith of Fauquier representing now on the McKie es-
County, Va., this couple is living j tate is the son end two daughters
representatives of the aristocracy 0 f D r> Thomas McK^e, Daniel and
of the old South. 1 Minnie McKie and Mrs. Lucile
The next land mark is the land ' Mason, two grand sons Thomas
given by Thomas Meriwether, Sr., 1 and James Mason, who inherited
the beautiful old home ' built in
1852 by their father, Dr. Thomas
McKie, who married Margaret Lan-
ham. Opposite this home, on the
hill is the bungalow of Daniel Mc
Kie, built in 1916. It is a real
home nestled among trees and
flowers overlooking the Savannah
river and Augusta. The jersey cow
on which in 1819 he erected a Bap
tist church, it was dedicated in
1881 and named Bethlehem. Most
of the timbers of the church were
hewn by hand and the boards saw
ed with a “whip” saw, the nails
were wrought in his own shop. At
the Cemetery of this church now
lies the remains of the departed
after the construction of the rail
road the station and post office
were called Clarks Hill. The rail
road was years being built, the
grading being done by convict la
bor. The first train passed through.
October 27, 1881
Furey’s Ferry before the erection
rises and falls of prosperity, the
erection of Colonial homes, rail
road, bridges, highway and electric
lights and among the inhabitants
of a hundred and fifty years there
might be woven many stories of in
terest. So ends the history of
Clarks Hill and Meriwether as t
of the bridge in 1930 was owned byl know it and as it has been told to
the Thomas McKie estate—it was me *
first owned by John Cruikshank of x
Charleston, : purchased by John Cotton, milk, and hogs are the
Furey, inherited by Geo. D’Amaud principal cash crops on American
and sold to J. L. McKie. For more farms. Cattle and calves, and
than a hundred years this ferry, eggs and chickens also rank ahead
was the connecting link between I of whfeat.