The Clinton chronicle. (Clinton, S.C.) 1901-current, November 12, 1970, Image 41
\
i
Houses From Yesteryear—Still Standing
YOUNG HOUSE—This house was built by Mr.
R. N. S. Young in the 1840s and has been owned
by his descendants until the present. It is now
in the possession of his great-granddaughter,
Mrs. J. M. Dick. It is the oldest house in town
still in the same location and owned by the samfc
family.
Mr. Young gave land for the location of the
college with the request that the main building
be so constructed that its front door be directly
in front of his front door. He died before the main
building (Nevill Hall) was built, but his request
was carried out.
The boys in the windows are college boys
who roomed in the house, and he and his wife are
standing on the front steps.
FERGUSON HOME—Shown above is the home
of Charles Madison Ferguson and Frances El
mira (Abrams) Ferguson. The house, which is
still located on Musgrove St., was built prior to
1864.—(Photo courtesy of Mrs. Harold 0. Mc
Cord, Rt. 2, Gray Court, granddaughter of Madi
son Ferguson).
WHAM HOME—This house on West Main Street
was built by John Wham about 1900. Mr. Wham,
a farmer and dairyman, is in the picture above,
along with his wife, Belle, and their children. The
house later was bought by the Bond family.
Bailey Family History Intertwined
With Clinton’s Industrial Growth
The history of Clinton’s in
dustrial and economic growth
is tied closely with the history
of the Bailey family.
Mercer Silas Bailey, who had
operated a mercantile business
and other businesses, started
Bailey’s Bank in 1886 with $20,
201 which he received for a
cotton shipment. In 1896, he es
tablished the Clinton Cotton
Mills with himself as presi
dent and sons William J. and
Cassius M* Bailey as treasur
er and bookkeeper-paymaster,
respectively.
The original Clinton Mill had
5,000 spindles and 150 looms.
Today, Clinton Mills includes
more than 225,000 spindles and
about 4,500 looms.
Lydia Mill was begun in 1902
with 40 employees, 4,000 spind
les and 150 looms.
The bank and the two mills
all were launched on February
1, the birthday of M S. Bailey’s
oldest daughter, Toccoa.
When the modern Bailey Plant
was built in 1967, ground was
broken on February 1.
On February 5, 1970, Clinton
Mills announced it had acquired
a substantial financial interest
in the Elastic Fabrics of
America, a Pennsylvania based
Raschel Knitting Company.
Later this year, Clinton Mills
announced the merger of Sup
erior Knits of Greensboro, N.C.
In 1948, Clinton Mills, es
tablished its own sales organi
zation, Clinton Cottons, Inc.,
in New York.
This is the sales headquart
ers responsible for marketing
the fabrics produced by Clinton
Mills.
M. S. Bailey was president of
the organization until his death
in 1926. W. J. (Will) Bailey was
named president ofClintonCot-
ton Mill and C. M. (Cad) Bailey
was named president of Lydia
Mills. Will Bailey also assumed
the presidency of M. S. Bailey
and Son, Bankers, in 1926 and
became president of Lydia Mill
upon the death of C. M. Bailey
in 1935. Will Bailey headed the
ORIGINAL BAILEY BANK—The original Bai
ley’s Bank building, constructed in 1886, is shown
above.
three organizations until his
death in 1948. He was succeed
ed by P. S. (Si) Bailey, a nephew
of W. J. Bailey, as president
of the two plants and Robert M.
Vance, another grandson of the
founder, became president of
the bank and assistant treasurer
of the textile companies.
From its original $20,201.40
capital, the bank has grown to
a present capital and surplus of
about $1,250,000. It was one of
the few banks to survive the
depression.
ANDERSON HOSIERY
Clinton’s Industrial Park, Whit
mire, Prosperity and Hender
sonville, N. C.
The Anderson Division was
merged into Collins & Aikman
in 1969. Collins and Aikman
operates 36 plants in the U. S.,
Canada, Belgium and France.
Products range from broad-
loom and contract carpeting,
fabrics and carpets for the
nation’s automotive manufac
turers and the world’s major
airlines, gossamer tricot fa
brics for lingerie and other
uses, plush upholstery fabrics
and a wide selection of specia
lized yarns.
Mr. Anderson credits his em
ployes with the success his
plants have enjoyed. He said,
“People build a business.
There’s no such thing as a
self-made man. And anyone is
foolish to claim that he is. For
whatever success we have at
tained here, we must give credit
to the people.*
TORRINGTON
The Clinton area’s economy
received a major diversifica
tion boost in 1961 when produc
tion started at the Clinton
Bearings Plant of The Torring-
ton Company.
A primary producer of anti
friction bearings, the Clinton
Bearings is a subsidiary of
the Torrington Co. which was
organized in 1866 in Torrington,
Conn. It was the first company
to mas-produce dependably uni
form needles for the sewing
machine. Today, the company’s
largest product line is anti
friction bearings.
As mayor ofClinton, Si Bailey
guided the town through the de
pression and later war years.
Si Bailey died in 1958 and was
succeeded by Mr. Vance who
continues to head the Clinton
Mills and M. S. Bailey and Son
Bankers organizations.
Mr. Vance has led the com
pany into the synthetic fiber
field--with construction of the
Bailey plant---and into the
knitted fabrics market.
C. W. (Collie) Anderson, who
started his business career in
1930 “with a $75 Essex auto
mobile and a few dozen men’s
socks to sell for Scents a pair,"
built a plant in 1946 to manu
facture stockings. His first
plant, the Dapper plant in Clin
ton, had limited equipment and
eight employees. By 1951, the
plant had 120 employees and
produced two million pairs of
nylon hosiery a year. Today
there are four more plants in
the C. W. Anderson Hosiery
Division---modern plants in
The company serves such in
dustries as textiles, auto
motive, farm equipment, two-
cycle engines, construction,
bridges, heavy machine tools,
electronics, home appliances,
power tools, business mac
hines, steel and other metals,
rubber, petroleum and the air
craft and missile industries.
In 1969, the Torrington Com
pany merged with another great
corporation—Ingersoll Rand.
Clinton Public School System
Started Around Turn Of Century
“With a fund of “Several
hundred dollars*, the Clinton
High School Association was
begun on August 31, 1872 with
Dr. William Plumer Jacobs as
president.
The first school was on aca
demy Street and included all
grades in one building. Mr.
Nichols J. Holmes and his sister
were elected teachers. Mr.
Holmes was succeeded by Wil
liam States Lee. Later, the
words “high school* were
stricken from the association
constitution and the word
“college* was inserted in its
place, thusly Presbyterian Col
lege came into existence.
However, it was not until
around the turn of the century
that the public Clinton school
system actually came into
existence. In the days before
the War Between the States,
there were no public schools in
the sense we know them now.
The state contributed to the
education of poor children but
everybody else paid tuition.
The minutes of the Clinton
Schools Board of Trustees date
back to 1920 when J. Harvey
Witherspoon was superin
tendent. Prior to that, there
had been at least three public
school superintendents. A Mr.
Aycock was superintendent, fol
lowed by E. H. Hall. Mr. A.C.
Daniel was superintendent from
1913-1920.
Mr. Witherspoon was super
intendent from 1920 to 1935 and
W. E. Monts served from 1935
to 1942. Pat H. Hobson was
superintendent in 1942-45 and
W. R. Anderson served from
1945 to 1964. Mr. Anderson was
succeeded by the current super
intendent. R. P. Wilder, in 1964.
During Mr. Daniel’s tenure
as superintendent, the entire
school system was still locat
ed in one building, on Academy
Street.
Today, the system has over
4,000 students and a budget of
almost $1.5 million. There are
now four elementary schools,
two junior high schools and one
high school in the district which
encompasses the area from Jo
anna to west ofClinton and from
Lake Greenwood to the county
line on the north.
In the 1940s, Mountville and
Cross Hill high schools were
consolidated with Clinton High
and Bell Street High. This year,
Bell Street High was consolidat
ed with Clinton High School and
the rural area elementary
schools were consolidated with
Clinton Elementary, Florida
Street Elementary, Bailey Ele
mentary and Joanna Ele
mentary.
Piedmont Presbyterian Began In Brush Arbor
In slavery days Liberty
Springs Presbyterian Church
was the only church of the de
nomination in the Cross-
Hill-Mountville area. Messrs.
Isaac Pitts, Carey Jones,
Thomas Nance, EdmondNance,
Anthony Jones, C. W. Tones,
Hampton Bartee, Allen Watts,
Thomas Jones, Martin John
son, Emanuel Floyd and their
families became members and
grew up in Liberty Springs
Church. These families belong
ed to the Nances, Williams and
Dr. Phillips. This section was
owned primarily by these three
families until 1826 according
to a history prepared by the
late Dudley Jones, A.B., D.D.,
who was Professor of Phi
losophy and Psychology at
Presbyterian College, Clinton,
S. C.
In 1844 there were forty-six
white and fifteen Negro mem
bers of the church. In 1859
there were two hundred and one
whites and two hundred and
twenty-four Negroes in mem
bership. By 1866 there were
only one hundred and sixty
communicants ninety-eight
Negroes and sixty-two whites.
In the spring report of the
Presbytery of 1869, the Negro
membership was omitted for
the first time. The Negroes had
withdrawn from Liberty
Springs and were using abrush
arbor for a place of worship.
This meeting place was later
destroyed by fire, but this did
not discourage the worshippers
they continued on.
They now built Piedmont
Presbyterian Church, with
Isaac Pitts as leader and
preacher. Dr. Jones gives us
the beginning of this great
church and the many things it
ha§ accomplished down through
the years. At the Presbytery
which convened at Liberty
Springs Presbyterian Church
when the Rev. F. T. McGill
was pastor, in the history that
was read at the meeting, it
was stated, ‘There is a church
in affiliation with the Pres
byterian Church in the United
States of America. This is a
congregation of Negro people,
the Piedmont Presbyterian
Church.’
Piedmont Presbyterian
Church has been a strong, ac
tive, intelligent, Christian
people for more than one hund
red years. It is gratifying to.
learn some of the historical
facts of the work our slave-
parents began.