The Clinton chronicle. (Clinton, S.C.) 1901-current, November 12, 1970, Image 40
I
l
f
v
a*
'".v'
Vt'
PiM
f •»
THE AVALON CLUB
Pictured above are members
of the Avalon Club (around
1910-12), a boarding house ar
rangement operated by a group
of young Clinton bachelors.
The Avalon Club was locat
ed in a large two-story house
(since demolished) at the cor
ner of Musgrove and Fergu
son Streets. This is the same
location of a popular boarding
house, which inherited the name
Avalon, operated for more than
25 years by two sisters, Misses
Mattie and Tensie Blakely, both
experts in the culinary art.
In the photo are: Front
Row: Albert Galloway, Eugene
Forshe, Hugh Simpson, Tom
Spratt and Robert C. McLees;
Back Row: Neal Turner, Hugh
Leaman, Jolin Spratt, Carl
Barksdale and Blakely Sloan.
Two members of the Avalon
Club, Simpson and Sloan were
later to serve as mayor of
Clinton.
Three-Acre Site For $30
Friendship AME Founded
1880
The church that is now known
as Friendship A. M. E., had its
beginning with the Bethel A.M.
E. Church, located in the rural
south-east section of Clinton,
S. C.
The first improvised shelter
of this religious organization
was a brush arbor, where these
members would meet twice
each month for religious ser
vices.
This arrangement went on
for several years’ finally, the
members of the northern sec
tion, which is now Gideon Hill,
and the members of the Bell
Place, which is now Bell Street
wanted to end this situation,
for they had many hindrances
that kept them from attending
services as regularly as they
should.
The main hindrance was the
distance they had to walk. At
their best, after traveling the
distance of at least four or more
miles, they were dusty, sweaty
and tired.
In 1880, a three-acre tract
of land was bought. Here are
the words from the original
deed and title:
Known all men by these pre
sent, Thavre, Mary McKelvy,
W. A. McKelvy, Eusiben Mc
Kelvy, Lucy Sloan, Mary A.
McKelvy, Pittis McKelvy and
Margaret Foster, heirs at law
of Hugh McKelvy, deceased.
Sum of $30 paid by N. C.
Chiles, G. L. Leak, J. D. Wil
liams, Anderson Hitch, J. M.
Dillard and Robert Todd, trus
tees of the African Methodist
Episcopal Church, in the state
afore said as Friendship.
Have granted bargained, sold
and released and by these pre
sent do grant, bargain sell and
release unto the said N. C.
Chiles, that piece of land or
lot of land bounaed by lands of
estate of Hugh McKelvy, de
ceased, containing three acres
more or less as described on
the platt of survey made on the
9th day of February, 1880 by
E. P. Jones, surveyor.
M. E. Babb, Register Mesne
Conveyance. 3rd day of August
A. D. 1880. Book A-page 178,
No. W.-page 67.
The physical plant as a
church building did not ma-
teralize at first. The people
still resorted to a brush arbor.
Then out of the group of men
which Included Gideon Leak,
Tom Harris and others, they
began to fell oak trees and
haul the same to the area
west side of the Clinton Cotton
Mill. All who were interested
came to help. Some scaled
bark from the logs, while others
made pegs to put the logs to
gether. They even made thick
shingles for the roof of the
church. The women cooked and
served meals on the grounds.
Some of the leading women
at that time were Mrs. Rebecca
Leak, Mrs. Harriet Bendy and
others.
Friendship was the name
given, since it was friends who
undertook this project Then as
a church, they felt it should be
a place for friendship as well
as fellowship. The first minist
er, I was told, was the Rev.
Chiles.
Friendship AME Church
Others who followed, which
are not in order as they came
were:
Rev. Chiles
Rev. Burgess
Rev. T. F. Harper
Rev. McCoy
Rev. Fate Bendy
Rev. J. E. Beard
Rev. R. B. Curry
Rev. L. F. Vance
Rev. Nelson
Rev. J. B. Smith
Rev. A. C. East
Rev. L. A. Logan
Rev. T. H. Addison
Rev. G. K. Lyles
Rev. P. M. Gary
Rev. Mitchell
Rev. H. W. Walker
Rev. G. T. Shelton
Rev. D. Bedenbaugli
Rev. Elect Vance
Rev. K. L. Moore
Rev. D. Ziegler
Rev. Billups
Rev. L. C. Butler
Rev. W. E. Crumlin
In 1937, a new larger church
was completed at the south end
of Bell Street. The first Sun
day in October, 1937 was the
first Sunday of worship in the
new church.
Mrs. Ruth P. Stackhouse
Alexander was pianist. Mrs.
A. J. Gary and Mrs. Bertha E.
Ferguson served as assistants.
Later a church model-
Hammond organ was pur
chased.
The first chairs for the choir
were given by the police de
partment of Clinton, S. C. White
yard-good material was given
by one of the M. S. Bailey Stores
for the communion rail. The
second set of chairs, now in
use, was donated by various
members of the congregation
and choir. Mrs. B.E. Ferguson
served as chairlade for this
effort.
This church is now consider
ed one of the first ranking
churches of the Piedmont Con
ference. It has stood the test
down through the years, and
now stands as a living monu
ment to those w'ho worked so
diligently.
Bethany
Dates
Back
To 1833
In the year 1833, a number
of Christian workers viewing
the possibilities of the future
decided it their duty to or
ganize a Presbyterian Church
in what was then possibly known
as the Musgrove section of
Laurens County. A committee
was formed, headed by Rev.
Samuel B. Lewers with de
finite determinations.
Mr. Walter Stewart donated
ten acres of land lying on the
South side of Enoree River,
bondering on the main road
leading from Musgrove Mill
to Laurens Court House, as a
definite site for the location of
this Church. About two hundred
yards north east from where
now stands the present build
ing was the original place of
worship, and a few steps away
is a spring, which today is
sending forth its cooling water
for the refreshment of man
kind.
The original elders of the
church were James Temple
ton, Samuel Mills, Maj. George
Byrd. Serving as deacon was
James Martindill. Records
are incomplete but other known
to have served as elders are
Joshua Saxon, Col. David
Templeton, W. C. Stewart,
Samuel J. Craig, Dr. John T.
Dorrah, Dr. C. A. Saxon, W. C.
Templeton, Dr. W. A. Shands,
T. P. Byrd, L. M. Linson,
D. H. Glenn and J. P. Saxon,
G. C. Byrd, A. E. Cleveland.
Some of the deacons to serve
included Dr. W. A. Shands,
G. C. Byrd, J. Warren Bla
kely, Capt. R. L. Cleveland,
J. S. Craig, L. S. Machray
and D. A. Glenn.
As has already been stated
the Rev. Samuel B. Lewers
was the founder and first pas
tor of this church. To get ttie
dates and names of the pas
tors and their successive ser
vice for a period of thirty to
forty years is impossible to
the writer. Though the Church
was ably supplied during this
period by the Rev. John Le-
land Kennedy, David Wells, J.
B. Hillhouse, Clark Stewart,
E. F. Hyde, J. L. Holmes, Dr.
W. P. Jacobs and possibly
others whose names I have not
been able to secure.
In 1882, the church called
the Rev. David Todd who
served the church for several
years. Others who served dur
ing the next 18 years were the
Rev. A. M, Hassell, Rev. Tren-
holm, Will Owens, B. R. And
erson, Rev. J. H. Gray, Rev.
Lewis Boston.
REV. JACOBS CALLED
In July, 1901, the Church
secured the services of Rev.
J. F. Jacobs as Stated Supply
until the Spring Meeting of
Presbytery, 1902. Then Bethany
was grouped with other church
es, and called to their Pas
torate, Rev. T. F. Farr who
served them for twelve months.
Accepting other work, Rev.
Farr was compelled to with
draw from Bethany after the
First Sunday in May 1903.
On the . First Sunday in
Church Of Christ Started In 1964
By REV. MILTON S. PARKER
The Church of Christ in
Clinton, South Carolina met for
the first time Jan. 5,1964, in the
home of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence
Ham, with seven members
present They continued to meet
in this home for about two
months. Then they purchased
property at the present location,
remodeled a frame building
which served as a place of
Worship until January of 1969.
The Church now has a nice
brick building on this site with
an auditorium that will seat 160,
four class rooms, nursery and
preacher’s study.
The Church has enjoyed a
steady growth through these
years and now has a mem
bership of about 50. Evangelist
U. A. Hall served the Church as
local minister from the
beginning until July of 1968
when he gave up his work with
this congregation because of ill
health. Evangelist Milton S.
Parker moved here at that
time, and is still working with
the Church as local minister.
The Church of Christ is un
denominational, and its plea is
for a complete return to New
Testament Christianity.
V : £-
■ ~.f .
*_v-!
-A
Bethany Presbyterian Church
August, following, the Church
called the Rev. J. F. Jacobs
as Stated Supply, who served
faithfully until April, 1912.
From 1902 until >920, the
Church was without a regular
minister, but was served by
the Rev. J. Ferdinand Jacobs
as Stated Supply. Although Dr.
Jacob’s work was fruitful, it
seems that the Church con
tinued to decline from 1882
until its status as an organized
church was dissolved in 1932.
Prior to 1932 when the Church
was dissolved, the Church call
ed several ministers, the first
being in Spetember 1923, when
the Rev. F. Dudley Jones was
called to the pastorate. Rev.
Jones served the Church until
1930.
From 1932 until 1939, Be
thany Church was inactive. The
doors were closed in 1932, but
in 1939, under tlie able lead
ership of Rev. C. A. Culcote,
minister of the Aveleigh Pres
byterian Church, Newberry, S.
C., the doors were once again
opened. From 1939 until 1953,
however, only Sabbath School
services were held, with Wor
ship Service every once in a
while at first and then once or
twice a month. In 1939, The
First Presbyterian Church in
Laurens, S. C. was asked to
help in this mission and under
the Guidance of such people as
Dr. Calcote, Mrs. Essie Hun
ter Workman, and Mr. Ben
Stroupe, the Sabbath School
flourished.
It was not until the First
Presbyterian Church, Clinton,
S.' C. had called the Rev. Dr.
J. K. Roberts that any interest
from the quarter was noted.
Due to the war years and the
necessity of rationing gasoline,
the First Church Clinton was
asked to take over the Bethany
Mission. The Church did so by
sending Mr. W. C. Baldwin to
assist Mrs. Workman in 1943.
Sometime in 1944, Mr. Baldwin
was asked to become ttie Ses
sion Representative to Bethany
with the purpose in mind of
t>nce again making Bethany an
organized Church.
Under the guidance of
student supplies, along with the
help and dedication of such men
as W. C. Baldwin, Session Re
presentative, Mr. John Har
mon, Clerk of Council, Mr.
Roy Osborne, Councilman, Mr.
George Pressley, Councilman,
Mr. Newel Brewington, Coun
cilman, Mr. Roy Benjamin,
Councilman, Mr. Maxie Fow
ler, Councilman, Bethany lias
nourished greatly and the work
of the Lord is once again being
carried on as it was m the
beginning and with the same
spirit as that of 1833.
From I960 to 1970 tlie church
has teen served by these men
Rev. Hugh Pollard, William
(Bill) Littlefield, Col. W. F.
Holderman, John Boyer, David
McDonald, Johnny McCallum,
Dan Rolerts, Tom Stearns, Ro
bert Vincent, Paul Fallaw and
presently the church has three
students serving as student
ministers, (Hub G ttington,
Skip Lawrence, Bill Dotger.)
John Harm >n Elder, Newell
Brewington, Deacon, Paul Fal
law, Deac<>n,J 1m Harrmn, Jr.,
Henry Fallaw, Luther W illard,
Grady Fallaw as Councilmen,
David [licks n, Sunday School
Superintendent, W. C. Baldwin,
Treasury.
Happy 300th Birthday
To All South Carolinians
0AKLANE SHOP
127 South Broad Street
L-R, Front Row: Beulah Metis, Cook; Gertrude Lindsay, Dishwasher;
Sarah Craine, Cleaning; Nellie Robertson, Wait-ess; Janie Freeman,
Partner; Mamie Abrecrombie, Waitress; Sarah Lawson, Waitress; Jean
ette Lyda, Waitress; Murry Gilliam, Chef. Back row: D. O. Freeman,
Owner and Manager; James Wham, Utility.
The Personnel Of Clinton Cafe Is Proud To Be A
Part Of South Carolina's 300th Birthday!
We Pledge To The People Of Clinton And Laurens
County Continued Good Service And Excellent
Home Cooked Food
HAPPY BIRTHDAY. S. C!
CLINTON CAFE
Clinton Church Of Christ
102 Musgrove Street
M3-2378
.v.v.V.v.v.w