The Clinton chronicle. (Clinton, S.C.) 1901-current, November 12, 1970, Image 39
Rock Bridge Presbyterian
Has Two-Phase History
BY THOMAS WIER DAVIS
Thanks to Dr. Duley Jones,
the early history of Rock
Bridge Church has been fully
recorded. I say the early his
tory, because Rock Bridge has
a two-phase history. The first
phase beginning in the early
1880’s and lasting until the early
1920’s. About this time the first
church, or the old church died
out completely. What few mem
bers were left moved their let
ters to Clinton. The second
fihase began about 1940. For at
that time Rock Bridge was re
organized and has been grow
ing steadily since.
Now for the history of the
old church, or first phase.
Turning to “The Presbyterian
Church of South Carolina Since
1850,* by Dr. F. Dudley Jones
and Dr. W. H. Mills, we find
the following: As you all pro
bably know, the name ‘Rock
Bridge* is derived from a na
tural rock bridge some five or
six hundred yards back of the
old church building.
Rock Bridge inherited its
first members from old Hunts
ville Church which stood some
three hundred yards from the
present home of Jack H. Davis,
Jr. This building was used by
all the different denominations,
one holding sway one Sunday,
and another the next. William
Dunlap gave the land on which
Huntsville was built, and he
was made president of this
church society. Dr. John H.
Davis, secretary; Mr. John
Godfrey, treasurer; Newman
Gary, William Simpson, John
Godfrey,and Samuel Gary, were
the ways and means committee.
The Baptists seem to have been
the strongest faction in Hunts
ville and when they pulled out
to form the First Baptist
Church of Clinton, Huntsville
came to an end.
After the death of Hunts
ville, Mrs. Agatha L. Davis,
being too old to attend ser
vices elsewhere, requested Dr.
William Plumber Jacobs to hold
services in her home. The
neighbors were Invited to at
tend these services and many
of the old members of Hunts
ville attended. The con
gregation, becoming too large
for the home, began using the
school house.
In 1882, with funds from
Presbytery, and the aid of Mrs.
Agatha L. Davis, Miss Sarah
A. Davis, Miss CallieV. Davis,
Mr. John C. Davis and Mr. Ro
bert C. Davis, plus contribu
tions from others in the com
munity. Dr. Jacobs built the
chapel which served during the
first phase of the church’s
history.
In the year 1889, this chapel
was organized into a church un
der the Rev. N. J. Holmes of
Enoree Presbytery. At this
time Robert C. Davis was elect
ed elder and John C. Davis
was elected deacon. The char
ter members were: Mrs. A-
gatha L. Davis, Miss Sarah A.
Davis, Miss Callie Davis, Mr.
John C. Davis and Mrs. Emma
Davis, and their older children,
JackH. (/ W. Watts and Agatha
L.; Mr/ Robert C. Davis and
his older children, James W.,
John D., and George M.; Mrs.
Elinor Simpson, Miss Dora
Simpson, Mr. J. Spencer Simp
son, Mrs. Dollie Chandler and
Miss Carrie Workman.
The ministers serving this
church after Dr. Jacobs gave it
up were as follows: Mr. Darby
Fulton, Mr. Henderlite, Mr.
Cuttino Smith, Mr. Boston, Mr.
William Wyly, Mr. Kenneth Mc-
Kaskill and Dr. William Bean.
In 1900, Dr. J. W. Davis was
selected elder and Jack H. and
George M. Davis were elected
deacons. In 1903, John C.
Davis was elected elder. In
1914, Jack H. Davis was elect
ed elder and W. Watts Davis
and Carl Chandler were elect
ed deacons.
Sunday school was always
held in connection with the
church. It Qouished strongest
under the leadership of Mr.
Robert C. Davis and later under
his son, George M. Davis.
Soon after the first world
war, due to better roads and
automobiles, many of the con
gregation began to seek church
es of their own denomina
tion, so Rock Bridge began to
decay. In 1920, Dr. William
Bean, one of Rock Bridge’s
most able pastors, died and
very soon thereafter Rock
Bridge Church came to the
end of its first historical phase.
The few members left moved
their memberships to the First
Presbyterian Church of Clin
ton, S. C.
For about 29 years this com
munity was without a place of
Lydia Baptist Organized In 1908
Rock Bridge Church
worship. By 1940 many families
most of them new, had moved
into this community. These
people began to clamor for a
place to worship. Mrs. Jack
H. Davis, Sr., being the first
to become actively interested
in a Sunday School for the
children of the community, be
gan by teaching two little boys
the Sunday School lessons in
her home. It seems she men
tioned the need for religious
leadership in this community
at the First Church one day.
Recognizing the worthiness of
the cause, they offered her aid
with the suggestion that the old
Rock Bridge school building be
used as a place of worship.
In this work Mrs. Davis was
given much aid by Miss Viola
Chandler as well as the of
ficial officers and teachers
mentioned below. Thus tegan
the reorganization of Rock
Bridge Church.
On December, 194 2, Rock
Bridge Church was reorganized
as an Outpost of the First
Presbyterian Church of Clin
ton, S. C. At that time, the
late Dr. J. Lee Young, elder
of the FirstChurch, was super
intendent; Mr. Alex O’Daniel,
elder, was teacher; Mrs. Geo
rge Taylor, Mrs. Frank Young,
and Miss Lula Young were
teachers.
The next difficulty was the
pr ivlsion of a suitable place
in which to worship The old
abandoned school house in
which they had started soon
prooved to be too small as
well as being in a poor state
of repair. It was here that
Mr. O'Daniel assisted by the
above menti^xied helpers, prov
ed equal to the task facing
them. It was in 194 5 that a
SEARS HAS BEEN IN SOUTH CAROLINA 84 YEARS
AND HAS BEEN SERVING CLINTON 14 YEARS.
WE HOPE TO CONTINUE SERVING YOU FOR
MANY YEARS TO COME-
building fund was started. Con
tributions were received from
members of the Clinton church
as well as from members of old
Rock Bridge scattered over the
South. Then in 1946, Hugh
Jacobs, a great-grand-son of
Dr. William Jacobs, was ap
pointed superintendent, with
Mr. O’Daniel, Mrs. Taylor,
Mrs. Young, and Miss Lula
Young as teacher s. It was under
these leaders that the building
fund was completed and con
struction begun. By December
of 1948 the building was com
pleted and dedication services
were held. These services were
conducted by Dr. Thornwell
Jacobs, a son of Dr. William
Jacobs, the founder of the first
Rock Bridge Church. At this
time there were 40 members.
Since 1952, R->ck Bridge has
been supplied mostly by stu
dent supplies, with the follow
ing exceptions:
Rev. Homer C. Holt-1951-
1953.
Rev. Kenneth Pollock - 1957.
Rev. J.R. Morrow-1962-1964.
Rev. Gaynor Phillips - 1964-
1967.
These ministers served in the
Rock Bridge Church as well
as other church fields.
On August 2, 1970, the first
ordiantion and installation ser
vice ever to take place in the
Rock Bridge Church was held.
Mr. Jerrold C. Bur iside, who
had been serving the church as
student supply for over three
years, was ordained and in
stalled as the pastor of the
church, after his graduation
from Columbia TheologicalSe-
minary, Decatur, Georgia.
The Rock Bridge Presby
terian Church has been grow
ing steadily, especially over
the past several years. Today
there are seventy-five mem
bers.
The most recent landmark
in the Rock Bridge Presby
terian Church occurred on Aug
ust 20, 1967, when the Budding
Program <t the church was
officially launched under the
able leadership J Mr. S. M.
Bell, elder and chairman of the
Building Committee. (Other
members of the committee in
cluded Miss Patricia Bolt, Mrs.
L. C. Baughn, Secretary, Mr.
Fred Cunningham, Treasurer,
Mrs. Sarah Cannon, Mrs. S.M.
Bell, Mr. and Mrs. G, C. Mc-
Invaille, Mr. L. C. Baughn
and Mr. Jessie Bolt.) Suffi
cient funds have now been rais
ed with the help of many friends
throughout the Clinton area; as
well as South Carolina Pres
bytery, in order to build a
new sanctuary with educational
facilities. Ground breaking was
held on November 8, 1970.
The congregation of Rock
Bridge is thankful and proud
for the fine history of the
Rock Bridge Presbyterian
Church. We are especially
It Has Been A
Pleasure For us
To Provide The
People Of This
Community
With Good Old
Fashion Service
For The Past
32 Years.
Prior to the organization of
the Lydia Baptist Church in
September of 1908 there was no
organized Baptist work in the
community. From the start of
the operation of the Lydia Cot
ton Mills in 1903 a frame church
building was erected as a mis
sion church of the Clinton First
Presbyterian Church. This
building was down across the
railroad tracks at the end of
what is now Pine Street.
A union Sunday School was
organized in 1904 and continued
until the organization of this
church. Preaching services
were held at irregular times
by various ministers of dif
ferent denominations. Among
the Baptist ministers conduct
ing services during this time
were an aged minister by the
name of Reverend Fowler and
The Reverend J. A. Brock.
Realizing the need of an or
ganized Baptist work in the
community, much discussion
was held among the Baptist
and as a result, the Lydia
Baptist Church was organized
in September of 1908 with 28
charter members. The Rev
erend Brock was called as the
first pastor and Mr. F. J.
Wood was elected as clerk.
Among those still members of
this church since their entrance
and dates of entering are: Mrs.
Jessie Emory (1921), Mrs. Viola
Helams (1922), Mrs. Henry Ab
ercrombie (1926), and Mrs.
Alma Harvey (1926). Accord
ing to the 1908 minutes of the
Laurens Baptist Association,
the church made application
for membership in the Associa
tion on September 28, 1908, and
on the following day was ad
mitted into membership of the
Association. According to the
financial table for Laurens
Baptist Association, 1908, this
church spent a sum of $25.13
for all causpc
For the next several years
following its organization, wor
ship services were conducted
on a part time basis, but Sun
day School was held each Sun
day morning. After about 1918,
the church has been served by
resident pastors on a full time
basis. The roster of pastors
lia Baptist Church
include: Rev. D. B. Gaines,
Rev. R. W. Justice, Rev. J.
C. Thomas, Rev. B. L. Wood,
Rev. M. F. Moorehead, Rev.
Algey Lawson, Rev. W. A.
Tinsley, Rev. J. H. Walker.
Rev. R. D. Gregg, Rev. F.
Stanley Hardee, Jr. and Rev.
Milford J. Sanders.
Even through the Pres
byterians were very generous
with their church building, in
1925 the Baptist began discuss
ing the erection of their own
building. The members were
greatly encouraged by the late
Mr. C. M. Bailey, who set
aside a very suitable building
lot on the corner of Popular
and Palmetto Streets to be
used for the erection of the
church building.
Rev. B. L. Wood, who was
called as church pastor on
October 26, 1931 deserves much
credit for getting the church
building program started.
Funds were very low, but faith
was high and vision keen. Re
lying on a lot of volunteer
labor the building program was
begun. For three years, ser
vices were held in the skelton
building of the sanctuary. The
basement and classrooms were
completed later, and the pews
and heaters were installed
much later.
On September 13, 1953
ground breaking services were
held for the new educational
building. This modern building
consists of a nursery, full
basement, social hall and fully
equipped kitchen, thirty six
classrooms, four assembly
rooms, church office and pas
tor’s study. In December of
the same year, opening exer
cises were held. Rev. F. Stan
ley Hardee, Jr., (deceased) was
pastor during this project. The
church purchased the pas
tor ium from Lydia Cotton Mills
on May 3, 1959, and on Octo
ber 7,1961, the pastorium mort
gage was burned with ap
propriate ceremonies. During a
called conference on Octo
ber 18, 1959, the church
voted to install a modern heat
ing system in the sanctuary
and the basement under the
sanctuary, and the heating sys
tem in the educational building
Sketch of Proposed Rock Bridge Church
grateful for the many friends
throughout the Clinton area who
have shown interest and sup
port of the church throughout
the history of the church. We
are very thankful and proud
that our church will have a
part in the future life of the
Rock Bridge Community and
surrounding area. Our goal is
to be a community church. It
is our desire to be a living
church in our community and
not just a proud relic of the
past.
Joanna Presbyterian
Church 41 Years Old
WE HOPE TO CONTINUE THIS SERVICE
IN THE FUTURE YEARS
IT’S GOOD TO BE A PART OF THIS
MEMORABLE CELEBRATION
Johnson Brothers
SUPERMARKET
ROBERT AND ALBERT JOHNSON, Ouwers
800 South Broad Street 833-2422
(Courtesy of M. Waits)
The Presbyterian Church at
Joanna was organized
November 17, 1929. The Com
mission, appointed by South
Carolina Presbytery to organize
a Presbyterian Church at
Goldville, melon that day in the
Goldville Union Church, with
Dr. C. E Sullivan presiding.
. ; . Other members of the Conv
mission were: Doctors D. J.
Bnmm, M. G. Woodworth, and
Ruling Elder W W. Harris.
Charter members received
y. into the church by statement of
faith on organization day were:
Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Bozard, Mr
•i; and Mrs. E. G. Kay, Mrs. Annie
X Laura Simpson, Mrs. Mary
Fuller and Mrs. Mary Golden.
J. M. Bozard and E. G Kay
were elected elders, and upon
+ signifying their acceptance of
ij: the office, were duly ordained
by the laying on of hands by the
Commission and were installed
X in office. The election of a
diaconate and the naming of the
•l; church were deferred until a
later date.
X Later, the church adopted the
official name of Goldville
•I* Presbyterian Church, and it
X remained thus until the name of
X the town of Goldville was
changed to Joanna. The
congregation then took the
£ present name — First
Presbyterian Church of J oanna.
The pulpit of the church was
filled by students from
X Presbyterian College and stated
supplies until June 1936, when
S the Rev David E. Boozer was
installed as the first ordained
pastor. He was also the first
pastor to live on the field.
At this tune the Goldville
Church became a part of a four-
church field along with the
Shady Grove, Duncan’s Creek,
and Ora Churches, and until
1957 shared a pastor with all or
part of these churches.
From the time the church was
organized until October 1940, it
shared a church building with
the Baptist and Methodist
Churches and took part in a
Union Sunday School composed
of all three churches. When the
Baptist and Methodist Churches
moved into their new buildings,
the old frame church (built in
1912» was donated to the
Presbyterians by the Joanna
Cotton Mills Company.
The building fund for the
present buiiumg was begun in
1942. during the ministry of
Rev. C Fred Allen, with Mrs. J.
M Bozard as treasurer. The
amassing of sufficient money to
begin construction was a slow,
tedious i and at times seemingly
impossible) task, but in 1956
ground was broken for the new
sanctuary and it was completed
the following year. Serving on
the building committee were:
Dr. D H. McFadden, W. R.
Senn, J. B Hart, Mrs. J. M.
Bozard and Mrs. F. H. Simpson,
Jr.
The present manse was
completed in 1939 and the Rev.
Leonard O. Elmore was the first
pastor to occupy it Land for the
be changed from bottled gas
to manufactured gas. Also that
the two basements be water
proofed at a cost of $7,030.07.
Early in 1965, the church
voted to completely renovate
the auditorium which included
refinishing the pews, installing
air conditioning, wall to wall
carpet, a foyer, a light dim
ing system, a three story stair
way behind the baptistry, the
purchase of choir robes, and
the complete remodeling of the
pastorium. The cost of this
project was $48,567.12. The
erecting of the educational
building and the remodeling of
the sanctuary were both
substantially assisted by The
Bailey Foundation.
Clinton Phone
Service
Started 1896
Clinton residents have had
telephone service almost since
it was invented. On the evening
of March 19, 1876 a 29 year
old school teacher by the name
of Alexander Graham Bell suc
cessfully sent the first sound
of the human voice over a wire.
The telephone was readily ac
cepted and its use spread very
rapidly. The first telephone ex
change in the state was in
Charleston in 1880.
The telephone was introduced
to the Clinton residents in 1896
when an unidentified Indepen
dent Company opened an ex
change.
At the turn of the century
the telephone exchange was
owned and operated by the L.W.
Floyd Consolidated Telephone
Company. On October 24, 1902,
Southern Bell bought the Clin
ton exchange along with a
number of other exchanges in
upper South Carolina. At that
time there were 56 telephones
in the Clinton area. The tele
phones at that time were the
type where all calls, even the
calls within the city, had to go
through the operator. This type
of service continued until
February 5, 1961 when the ser
vice was changed to the dial
system which we presently use.
Incidentally the residents of
Clinton now have the touch
tone service, one of the most
recent innovations.
The next significent advance
was in 1964 when it was made
possible to dial long distance
calls direct.
The number of telephones
has grown rather remarkably
since the 56 stations in 1902.
By 1910 there were 215 tele
phones; 1920, 373; 1930, 460;'
1940, 581; 1945, 723; 1950, 1524;
1960, 3318 and in 1970 the num
ber has increased to 6,264.
A new exchange was built by
Southern Bell in Joanna and
put in service on June 21, 1950
with 335 telephones. The num
ber in operation today is 1,048.
manse was donated to the
church by Mr. Lumas Blalock.
The communion table and
pulpit stand for the new church
were built bv Carl KesseL while
serving as student supply
pastor.
For many years the church
was served by full-time pastors
who lived in the church owned
manse. In 1967 the First
Presbyterian Church, Joanna,
teamed with the Little River
Dominick Church and called the
Rev. Leon Jeffords to be pastor
of both churches. The church
had been without a pastor since
June 1969, but July 1, 1970 the
Rev. James Bankhead
began his work as pastor for
both churches. The minister
now lives in the Little River
Dominick manse and the
Joanna mum is being used as
rental property.