The Clinton chronicle. (Clinton, S.C.) 1901-current, November 12, 1970, Image 38
1
18—THE CHRONICLE, Clinton, S. C„ Nov. 12, 1970
Railroad, Autos Both Had
Major Impact On Cross Hill
BY ERNIE SEGARS
Cross Hill is typical of many
small agricultural communities
established in South Carolina
during the late eighteenth cen
tury. The town was namedCross
Hill because the early settle
ment was built at a junction of
a foot and wagon trail that met
at the top of a hill in western
Laurens County.
ning of the aristocratic Cun
ningham. He gained infamy in
the hearts of South Carolinians
with the Massacre of HayesSta-
tion. It is a little ironic that
Ann Pamela Cunningham, a de
scendant of “Bloody Bill” and
a resident of Cross Hill, should
be the founder of the movement
to restore Mount Vernon, the
home of George Washington, as
a national shrine.
living in Cross Hill, accord
ing to the last census. Most of
the people are employed in other
towns, but a few merchants con
tinue to operate their stores.
The township was about nine
square miles in area and was
divided into six regular school
districts and one special school
district. Some of these early
schools are still standing and
were apparently little more
than one-room structures hous
ing schools staffed by only one
teacher. There were also three
post offices established to hand
le the postal needs of the 200
inhabitants of Cross Hill town
ship. Besides the post office in
the town of Cross Hill, there
were also two established in
the Carroll and Manilla sections
of the township. The Carroll
branch of the greater Cross
Hill Post Office is still stand
ing but now serves as a barn.
The ancestral home of the
Cunninghams, calledRosemont,
was still standing and was in
excellent condition but was de
stroyed by fire in 1929. The
house was a good example of
Georgian architecture and was
constructed of lumber floated
down the Saluda River to
Charleston to be sawed. The
house was built on the Cun
ningham estate, a large land
grant from George HI of Eng
land. A great deal of mystery
surrounds the destruction of
this landmark, and it has yet
to be satisfactorily solved.
As stated earlier, there were
once several schools in Cross
Hill to serve the educational
needs of the dommunity. How
ever, the need for better fa
cilities and broader programs
caused the centralization of
schools into a compact, effi
ciently run school district.
Cross Hill lost its school in
1965, and students in grammar
school students were assign
ed to Mountville. Junior High
and HighSchool students contin
ued to go to Clinton as they
have for several years. In plans
announced in June by officials
of School District 56, students
from the Mountville - Cross Hill
area will attendtheClintonEle-
mentary School on South Broad
Street.
The original settlement of
Cross Hill was about a mile
north of the present center of
the town. It was located at
approximately the intersec
tion of Highways 39 and 72.
The commercial interests and
business concerns moved south
in the early 1890’s in order to
take advantage ofthe newly built
Seaboard Airline Railroad.
Prominent among things of
historical interest in the town
are two churches that date back
to the 1700’s. Liberty Springs
Presbyterian Church, the old
er of the two, got its name
from a spring that the Conti
nental forces used to water their
horses and togetwater for their
own needs during the Revolu
tion.
The railroad came to Cross
Hill in the late 1890’s and had
a tremendous affect on the
growth of the town. Farmers
now had easy access to mar
kets, and the town began to
grow. There were several drug
stores, a bank, and several
doctors in Cross Hill. The de
velopment of Harris Lithia
Springs also was of great re
creational and economic im
portance to Cross Hill. The
Springs became quite famous as
a resort and the railroad made
access to it quite easy. This
was a large motel and a dance
hall where young people could
do the latest dance craze. A
fire destroyed the fine hotel,
much to the dismay of the re
sidents of the community.
Cross Hill is served by a
mayor and a four-man City
Council. The mayor and coun
cil serve a term of two years.
Robert T. Hollingsworth is the
present mahor of the town, and
the Council is composed of H.
A. Boyce, J. E. Edmunds, R. B.
Segars, and G. F. Williams. The
Council has done a great deal
of work in getting secondary
roads improved in Cross Hill.
Work has already been complet
ed on two of these roads and
is rapidly progressing on a
third. A trailer manufacturing
plant moved into Cross Hill in
recent years and offers hope
for some industrial expansion
in the town.
Bathabara Baptist Church,
located about four miles south
of the town, was established in
1794 and was the mother church
of several of the largest Bap
tist churches in Laurens Coun
ty.
Cross Hill was the center of
a great deal of Tory and loy
alist activity under the lead
ership of William (Bloody Bill)
Cunningham. There were many
Loyalists in this area, but few
matched the viciousness or cun-
The coming of the Industrial
Revolution to South Carolina
in the early 1900’s spelled the
end of the prosperity of towns
like Cross Hill. People could
now travel over hard surfaced
roads in their own cars to lar
gest towns such as Clinton,
Greenwood, or Laurens and
work in a textile mill for
a great deal more money than
they could make working on
their own farm. The existence
of greater economic opportuni
ty in these larger towns also
caused many residents to move
from Cross Hill or seek em
ployment in other places.
Today, there are 470 people
Harris Lithia Springs Hotel ...destroyed by fire in 1930s
250-Guest Harris Springs
Hotel Was Popular Spot
BY ERNIE SEGARS
The number of mineral
springs in this area cuased a
tremendous boom in the recrea
tional life of Laurens County in
the late nineteeneth and early
twentieth century. One of the
largest and most successful of
these springs was Harris Lithia
Spring, located between Cross
Hill and Waterloo.
Cross Hill is also located Ln
a convenient spot to take ad
vantage of the bustling trade on
Lake Greenwood. This has be
come a booming economic and
recreational enterprise, and
because of its location, Cross
Hill is in a position to take ad
vantage of it.
Stomp
Springs
Was Resort
Stomp Springs, located be
tween Clinton and W'hitmireand
about a mile from Reno, S. C.,
was one of several resorts that
became popular in the early
part of this century.
The spring originally became
popular because of the strong
medicinal power of the water.
The spring got its name be
cause of the large number of
deer and other animals that
drank from the stream many
years ago. So many of these
animals came to the stream that
they kept it “stomped* and tr
ampled up.
Local patrons came to Stomp
Springs in the summer after
finishing their crops and would
stay for several weeks or even
months. They would pitch tents
or construct makeshift houses.
The fame of the resort soon
spread and people from all
over South Carolina soon came
to drink the “powerful healing
water* as one early patron de
scribed it.
There was an attempt to re
vive the resort about 15 years
ago by a Mr. Hiar. He apparent
ly put a great deal of money into
the project because several
buildings were constructed, and
he did a great deal of pro
motional work. However, he was
unable to generate the popular
ity that it had once known, and
he was forced to abandon his
project.
SOUTH CAROLINA
TRKtNTENNIAL
The water from this spring
was supposed to have great
medicinal powers, and people
came from all over the South
east to drink from the spring.
This water could cure anything
“from gout to lumbago,” ac
cording to one early advertise
ment and had a taste faintly
reminiscent of rotten eggs. Be
cause of the tremendous popu
larity of the sring water, a re
sort was established by a Mr.
James Harris of Waterloo, and
the fame of these lifegiving wa
ters soon spread far and wide.
ing plant at the Spring and soon
began selling carbonated drinks
made from the water of the
spring. These were shipped by
wagon to Cross Hill andWater-
to be loaded on trains and
iO‘
shipped to aneager public. Ven
dors also sold the water and the
drinks to local health enthu-
siants.
There was a hotel built at
the Springs in about 1898. It ac
comodated some 250 guests.
There was also a store and a
pool room established on the
gounds for the amusement fthe
guests. In a separate building
there was a large dance hall and
a game room. Popular bands
came to Harris Springandpro-
vided music for the patrons. Ac
cording to one observer, five
Italian musicians were brought
in during the early years of
the resort, and later, local
talent played for the large
dances that became very popu
lar among the local citizens.
The completion of the Sea
board Airline Railroad in the
1890's made access to the
Springs a great deal easier. Be
fore the newly invented auto
mobile came into prominence,
tourists would rent buggies
from local livery stables to
make the four-mile trip to the
Springs. There was a small
lake available to the guests to
be used for boating and other
water sports.
Harris Spring continued tobe
extremely popular during the
first third of the century, and the
ownership changed hands sev
eral times. A large fire spelled
the end of an extremely popu
lar and apparently very lucra
tive enterprise when the large
wooden hotel was destroyed
by fire in the early 1930's.
Harris also started a bottl-
The rest of the physical plant
soon wasted away and there is
nothing left today but the old
bottling plant. The property is
now owned by Mr. Jake Rasor.
From Out Of Tho Past
The spring soon became so
famous that the proprietor, a
Mr. George Young, constructed
a dance pavillion and several
shelters for his customers. At
the height of its popularity, as
many as 150 families, plus their
servants and cooks, would be
enjoying the recreational and
health opportunities provided
by the Spring.
A bottling plant was also con
structed for the making of soft
drinks out of the mineral water.
Soon, people for miles around
were consuming these drinks
and swearing that they felt bet
ter than they had in years be
cause of the strong medical
power of the beverage.
The popularity of the spring
began to wane after the coming
of the automobile and other bet
ter modes of transportation.
Stomp Springs had originally
become popular because, as a
local resort, it was easily re
ached by residents of this area.
After the novelty of the resort
wore off, and people were able
to reach the beach or the moun
tains in a matter of hours,
Stomp Spring slowly withered
away.
Lithia Water From Harris Springs
H
B1
Th
the
Brid|
recoi
tory,
a twi
pha&
1880’
1920’
churi
out c
bers
ters
£has<
that
orgaj
ing s
No
old
Turr
Chur
1850,
and
the i
babh
Brid
tura]
six I
old c
Rc
first
ville
thre
pres
Jr.
all t
one
and
Dun
Hun
was
chui
Dav
God
Gar
God
the
The
the
villi
to
Chu
cam
A
villi
be in
vice
Will
ser
nelf
tenc
of t
vill(
gre
for
sch
Ii
Pre
Dancing At The Springs
«