The Clinton chronicle. (Clinton, S.C.) 1901-current, November 12, 1970, Image 36
Providence ARP Church Organized In 1836
'Precious
Memories’
BY JAMES P. SLOAN
•Precious Memories--How
They Linger* -- The earliest
recollections of my childhood
center around experiences as
sociated with the little brown
trimmed A. R. P. Church on
North Broad Street two blocks
from the square—walking
through the pasture between
Musgrove and Broad on prayer
meeting night--Cousin Mamie
Blakely, Uncle Reed Todd, and
Mr. Robbie Blakely, faithful
choir members, singing “Hal
lelujah, Praise Jehovah* and
other favorites out of the old
red-back psalm book— Mr.
John Todd and Mr. Henry Cole
man, venerable saints and eld
ers, observing Communion in
the old-fashioned way, as all
participants drank from the
same silver cup at the cloth-
covered table in front of the
pulpit—listening, at a very ten
der age, to dear Cousin Mattie
Blakely in the church’s only
classroom in the back of the
church as she expounded fer
vently on “God’s almight pow
er and free grace*—learn
ing the Westminister Shorter
Catechism and reciting it to
Miss Margaret Blakely in the
right front vestibule more than
forty-five years ago-- and
those church picnics, memor
able occasions, at Shelton’s
Mill, Yarborough’s Mill, and
Musgrove Mill, with dinner
spread on the mill stones—the
last years of Mr. Stevenson’s
ministry and Dr. Betts’ arrival
forty-five years ago.
THE FIRST CHURCH
Providence Associated Re
formed Presbyterian Church
was organized September 10,
1836, under the care of the
Second Presbytery of the As
sociate Reformed Synod of the
South. The parent body, origi
nally called the Synod of the
Carolinas, was organized May
9, 1803, at Ebenezer, the Old
Brick Church, in Fairfield
County. Thus with its 134-year
history, the local A. R. P.
Church has the longest con
tinuous organization of any
Clinton church.
The founding of Providence
came chiefly through the ef
forts of William “Honest BUI*
Blakely, a Revolutionary War
Soldier, who transferred his
membership from Bethel (the
Ora church) about fifteen mUes
away. He gave seven acres of
land for the first building site
and cemetery. The original site
is located about two miles west
of Clinton and a mile to the left
of the Laurens Highway. The
graves of WUliam Blakely and
his wife, Nancy Boyd Blakely,
as weU as the graves of many
of the early church members,
are in the church cemetery.
Before the War Between the
States, all Negro slaves owned
by members of the congrega
tion were buried in the ceme
tery. Some of these slaves
had been members of the
church and had attended ser
vices in a special room which
adjoined one side of the audi
torium; their names are list
ed in the first sessional re
cord book of the church.
CLINTON FAMILIES
INVOLVED
The descendants of Provi
dence’s founder are legion, in
cluding many branches of the
Blakely family in Laurens
County and elsewhere, and the
members of the “Cousin Kit*
Young family, the Robert S.
Owens family, the D. E. Trib
ble family, the Lewis S. Hend
erson family, the T. J. Bla
lock famUy, the E. Blakely
Sloan famUy, the Dr. B. F.
Godfrey famUy, the J. Reed
Todd family, and the Frank
Adair family, to name a few.
CHARTER OFFICIALS AND
MEMBERS
Charter elders for Provi
dence were William Blakely,
Thomas Blakely, and Thomas
Bryson, who were installed
September 10, 1836, the latter
two elders being ordained also
on that date. WiUiam Blakely
had previously served as an
elder at Ora.
The Reverend James L.
Young was the officiating mini
ster at the time of the church’s
organization. The eighteen
charter members were; Wil
liam Blakely, Nancy Blakely,
Margaret Blakely, Elizabeth
Bryson, Maria Blakely, Jane
Adair, Agnes Williamson, Jane
Williamson, Samuel Blakely,
Sr., Thomas R. Adair, Thomas
Blakely, Thomas Bryson, Sam
uel Bryson, William Bryson,
James A. Bryson, Martha Bry
. . . Photo by the Rev. Zeb C. Williams, farmer pastor
son, Jane Bryson, and Margar
et Bryson.
On June 22, 1839, the family
heads of Providence met and
elected three trustees, Samuel
S. Blakely, Samuel Bryson and
Hampton J. Bryson, “to take
charge of the church lot, to
gether with the church, and all
other things properly belong
ing to the same—to keep them
safely for the use and benefit
of the Associate Reformed
Church—against all encroach
ments or abuses from any
source whatsoever.’ Serving
later as trustees (with dates
of election) were: William P.
Milam (1846), Cornelius T.
Tribble (1846), Thomas Mil
am (1850), Nathan C. Todd
(1851), William Winder Sloan
(1853), David Blakely (1879),
George M. Hanna (1879), M. H.
Bryson (1879), J. M. Blakely
(1887), and John C. Todd (1887).
With the establishment of
the diaconate in 1906, the
principal responsibilities 0 f
the trustees devolved upon the
Board of Deacons, with the
trustees performing such dut
ies as signing notes, deeds,
etc. Serving as Providence’s
trustees for the past quarter
of a century or more are J.
Hubert Todd, Lowry M. Wil
son, and R. L. Plaxico, Sr.
SETBACKS CONQUERED
In November, 1851, the Pro
vidence A. R. P. Church suf
fered a severe blow when its
first pastor, the Reverend Ja
mes L. Young, along with a
large segment of the congre
gation (thirteen white and three
negro communicants, who were
given their certificates of dis
missal) emigrated to Lee
County, Mississippi, and be
came associated with the Beth
any Church, six miles from
Guntown.
After more than two years
without a regular pastor, the
Providence Church united with
Bethel (at Ora) and Head
Springs (near Mountville) in
calling the Reverend David
Franklin Haddon, who was or
dained and installed May 15,
1854. Mr. Haddon served Pro
vidence until shortly before his
death, December 13, 1896--a
period of 42 years--the long
est tenure of any of its pastors.
The Reverend Horace Rabb
succeeded Mr. Haddon, serv
ing from November 20, 1896,
through September 18, 1897.
Ministers following Mr. Rabb
were: the Reverend William
Alexander McElwee Plaxi
co (May 19, 1900 - November,
1905), the Reverend Warren
A. Blakely (May 5, 1906—Jan
uary, 1907), the Reverend J.
R. Hooten (July, 1907-January,
1914), the Reverend Henry E.
Pressly, previous and subse
quent to his Clinton pastorate
an A. R. P. missionary to
Mexico (1914-1918), the Rever
end William H. Stevenson (1919-
October 3, 1923), Dr. C. By
num Betts (September 6, 1925-
September 8, 1963), a tenure of
38 years, the second longest,
and the Reverend Zeb C. Wil
liams, Jr. (November, 1964-
June 28, 1970)
A NEW BUILDING IN TOWN
In 1900, during the pastorate
of Mr. Plaxico, the congrega
tion bought a lot on N orth Broad
Street (present location of the
Bank of Clinton) and sold the
church building on the original
location off the Laurens road.
The reason for this decision
was the fact that most of Pro
vidence’s members were then
living in Clinton. During the
period prior to the completion
of the new church on North
Broad, the congregation wor
shipped in the Old Academy,
where Academy Street School
once stood. In 1901 the A.R.P.
Synod gave Mr. Plaxicopermis-
sion to canvass the churches in
the Second Presbytery for
funds to help build the Clinton
church. Through the faithful,
untiring efforts of Mr. Plaxico,
who carried his bicycle with
him to save expenses, funds
were raised and the church was
erected in 1902. A. B. Blakely,
Sr., was chairman of the build
ing committee for this second
church. In addition to his key
role in fund-raising, Mr. Plaxi
co had an active part in the
architectural planning and
actual construction work on
the church. This building,
which was to be the house of
worship for Clinton A. R. P.’s
for the next fifty years, was
dedicated in August, 1902, by
Dr. James S. Moffatt, who was
later to serve as president of
Erskine College.
FIFTY YEARS LATER, A NEW
LOCATION
As the membership of Pro
vidence Church grew, the need
for a new church with class
rooms, a Sabbath School audi
torium, and a kitchen became
apparent. During the first
years of Dr. C. Bynum Betts’
pastorate a canvass for funds
for this purpose was made
under the leadership of Blakely
Sloan. However, the Great De
pression of the 1930’s neces
sitated the postponement of
building plans, the congrega
tion having to settle for a re
novation of the North Broad
Street building. During World
War H members were en
couraged to save War Bonds,
looking to the day when a new
church, with modern facilities
and accommodations, in a re
sidential section could be built.
Following World War n sev
eral annual fund-raising cam
paigns for a new church were
conducted, resulting in the
building of the present church
building on the corner of South
Broad and Walnut Streets. The
sanctuary (seating more than
270 people) and the portion of
the Sabbath School building dir
ectly behind it were completed
in 1952. An additional class
room wing was added in 1955. A
pastor’s study and additional
classrooms were added a few
years later. The new church on
South Broad was first used on Feb
ruary 18, 1952. The hand
some brick, debt-free church
was dedicated March 31, 1957,
with Dr. C. Bynum Betts con
ducting the service and Dr.
R. C. Grier, former president
of Erskine College, preaching
the dedicatory sermon on the
subject, “The Church’s One
Foundation.*
The fund-raising and build
ing committee for Provi
dence’s third house of worship
was composed of James P.
Sloan, chairman;R. L. Plaxico,
Sr., who supervised the con
struction of the building; J.
Hubert Todd; J. Sloan Todd;
Lowry M. Wilson; Bennie B.
Blakely; and William D. Adair.
A. B. Blakely, Jr., success
fully headed the campaign
which resulted in the installa
tion of the organ for the church.
Mrs. R. L. Plaxico, Sr., serv
ed as treasurer for the fund
raising committee during the
various canvasses for the new
church, Sabbath School class
room wings and later for the
manse.
The original A. R. P. Church
building in Clinton still serves
as a house of worship. When
the new A. R. P. edifice at
701 South Broad Street was
built, the All Saints’ Episco
pal congregation bought the
previous building on North
Broad Street and moved it to
its present location on Cal
vert Avenue.
COTTAGE AT BONCLARKEN
In 1960 an attractive and
commodious six-room cot
tage was built at Bonclarken,
Flat Rock, N. C., the assembly-
grounds of the A. R. P., C hur ch.
This facility is available to
members ofthe congregation in
attendance at various church
conferences, the General
Synod, and workshops, and as
a vacation retreat at other
times. The cottage, as well as
many comforts and con
veniences of the church, was
provided chiefly through the
leadership and generosity of
the Hubert Todd family.
ELDERS, CLERKS, DEACONS,
TREASURERS
Elders who have served sub
sequent to the three charter
elders (with ordination and/or
installation dates) are: Robert
Sloan (1841), William P. Milam
(1845), Samuel A. Todd (1850),
Hampton J. Bryson(1854), Wil
liam Winder Sloan (1854), Da
vid Blakely (1868), Joseph T.
Todd (1868), Frederick L. Boo
zer (1878), John C. Todd(1896),
W. A. Todd (1904), O. P. Har
ris (1906), Samuel J. Todd
(1908), R. F. Blakely (1908),
Henry A. Coleman(1912), Pinc
kney H. Todd (1918), Dr. James
Boyd Kennedy (1919) James
Allen Coleman (1928), P. S.
Jeanes (1928), J. Reed Todd
(1928), E. D. Craig (1937), W.
Blakely Tribble (1937), B. B.
Blakely (1946), George Watts
Copeland (1946), C. A. Dickey
(1946), James P. Sloan (1946),
WUliam J. Sloan (1947), Geo
rge Bryson (1950), Dr. K. Nolon
Carter (1959), Marion J. Na
bors (1959), J. Hubert Todd
(1959), Lowry M. Wilson(1966),
R. L. Plaxico, Sr. (1966), Mar
vin S. Turner (1966), George
Thompson Copeland (1966), J.
Sloan Todd (1970), Bennie B.
Blakely (1970), and WiUiam D.
Adair (1970).
Sessional minutes of Pro
vidence indicate that WiUiam
Winder Sloan was the first
clerk of the session 1859. Oth
ers serving as clerk, with
dates, are David Blakely (1874-
1899), A. B. Blakely, Sr. (1899-
1904), W. A. Todd (January 22,
1905-August 20, 1905), Samuel
J. Todd (October 28,1905-1918),
R. F. Blakely (December 1,
1918-February 27, 1921), Dr.
James Boyd Kennedy (March
19, 1921-November 22, 1959, a
period of 38 years, the longest
single tenure), and Dr. K.
Noland Carter (November 29,
1959 through the present).
The office of deacon did not
exist officially until June 17,
1906. The Session minutes of
April 12, 1906 state that
“Clyde E. Todd was appointed
by the Session to act as deacon
until further arrangement was
made.* The March 20, 1904,
Session minutes indicate that
Deacons A. B. Blakely, Sr.,
and Clyde E. Todd metwiththe
elders. On June 17, 1906, A. B.
Blakely, Sr., Clyde E. Todd,
and Samuel J. Todd were of
ficially installed as deacons.
Deacons who have served since
1906 (with ordination and/or
installation dates) are: C. A.
Todd (1908, J. Reed Todd
1908), P. S. Jeanes (1908), Ed
gar Todd (1912), E. Blakely
Sloan (1919), D. E. Tribble
(1928), W. Blakely Tribble
(1928), C. A. Dickey (1928),
E. D. Craig (1928), R. L. Plax
ico, Sr. (1928), J. Hubert Todd
(1937), Paul Todd (1937), Lowry
M. Wilson (1939), WiUiam D.
Adair (1946), A. B. Blakely, Jr.
(1946), Bennie B. Blakely
(1946), Roscoe Buzhardt(1946),
J. Sloan Todd (1946), Marion
J. Nabors (1950), R. L. Plaxi
co, Jr. (1966), Earl Stewart
(1966), Sidney Bryson (1966)
Earl Rice (1966), M. S. Tur
ner, Jr. (1966), Ernest Hitt
(1966), Dewey Oxner (1969),
Thornton Stewart (1969), David
P. Cook (1970), Lawrence Lan-
ford (1970), and Herbert Robin
son (1970).
Serving as church treasur
ers at Providence since the
early 1900’s were A. B. Blak
ely, Sr., who served until a-
round 1936; Mrs. Hugh Eargle
(1936-1945); J. Sloan Todd
(1945-1965); Mrs. Marion J.
Nabors (1965-1970); and George
Thompson Copeland, who as
sumed these duties a few
months ago.
SABBATH SCHOOL OFFICERS
P. S. Jeanes was superin
tendent of the Sabbath School
from around 1910 until his death
in 1937. Superintendents who
followed Mr. Jeans are: J.
Paul Todd (1937-1939), James
P. Sloan (1939-1961), George
Thompson Copeland (1961-
1967), and R. L. (Bob) Plaxico,
Jr. (1967 through the present).
Earl C. Rice serves currently
as assistant superintendent.
R. L. Plaxico, Sr., has served
as Secretary-Treasurer of the
Sabbath School for more than
thirty years. Mrs. R. L. Plaxi
co, Sr., served as Sabbath
School superintendent during
the writers Naval service dur
ing World War H.
THE MISSIONARY SOCIETY
A vital auxiliary organiza
tion of the Clinton church is
the Woman’s Missionary
Society, organized in 1896. The
charter members were Mrs.
Sarah Todd, Miss Mary Todd,
Mrs. Frances Henry, Mrs. T.
S. Simpson, Miss Alice Todd,
Miss Mattie Blakely, and Miss
Tensie Blakely. Miss Tensie
Blakely served as secretary
and treasurer of the Society
from the time of its organiza
tion until her last iUness in
1938, a period of 42 years.
During its early history the
Woman’s Missionary Society,
in addition to paying monthly
dues, raised additional money
by piecing quilts, making bon
nets, etc., for sale. The money
was devoted to missions,
charity, and local church
causes. An interesting entry
in the early minutes of the
Society indicates that the mem
bers became disenchanted with
the church’s tall four- legged
pulpit (with two or three steps
for the preacher to climb into
his box) and raised money for
a modern church rostrum. To
day’s Society consists of 32
members, who as a group con
tribute generously to the local
church's budget and the Syno
dical budget, as well as various
denominational and local
causes. The Presbyterial Union
consisting of delegates from
all Societies in the Second
Presbytery, has met at Pro
vidence on three occasions,
the last time in 1969.
Civil War
Delayed Building
Of Leesville
Y. P. C. U.
The Young People’s Chris
tian Union (Y.P.C.U.), devot
ed to the training of future
church leaders in doctrine, in
the meaning of the Christian
life, and in fellowship with like-
minded believers, is composed
of junior high, high school,
and college-age students. It
was organized about sixty years
ago, with Miss Eliza Lindsay
as its charter president. Other
charter members included
Miss Margaret Blakely, who
has had a key role of leader
ship in various aspects of the
young people’s work, both lo
cally and throughout the A.R.P.
denomination.
The Y. P. C. U. has always
been active in the local church.
It participates in local ser
vice projects, such as food
for needy families, and has
made significant contributions
to the success of Synodical
Y. P. C. U. projects for the
entire denomination. Dr. and
Mrs. C. Bynum Betts served
as advisers for the group dur
ing Dr. Betts’ long pastorate.
The current adviser is Mrs.
A. B. Blakely, Jr. She was
preceded by Mrs. K. Nolon
Carter and Mr. and Mrs.
Thornton Stewart. As this
article was written, current
officers were the late Miss
Jeannie Nabors, president;Au
brey Smitherman, vice presi
dent; and Miss Patti Plaxico,
secretary-treasurer.
THE JUNIOR SOCIETY
A strong force in the train
ing of younger A. R. P.’s
through the years has been the
Junior Society. On Sunday
afternoons dedicated adult
leaders have transmitted to
the children their enthusiasm
for Christian living. Through
song, story and study of the
Bible and the Catechism, A. R.
P. youngsters have received
invaluable additional religious
training in an informal atmos
phere. Most recent in the suc
cession of devoted leaders is
Miss Judy Nabors.
MEETING OF PRESBYTERY,
HERE - 100 YEARS AGO
It is a coincidence that the
Second Presbytery met at the
original site of Providence 100
years ago, April 8, 1870. Five
Erskine Theological Seminary
students, who were to serve the
A. R. P. denomination long and
well, delivered their trial dis
courses on this occasion. They
were Ebenezer E. Pressley,
Charles Strong Young, John
McClintock Tod, Calvin Press
ly, and David Brainard Press
ly.
MEMBERS DISCIPLINED
Church membership in the
early days appeared to be more
meaningful, more exacting--
and was taken more seriously.
The early sessional minutes
record on several occasions
that certain i members were
brought before the Session and
charged with the sin of intem
perance or misuse of spiritu
ous liquors. Upon admission of
the malpractice, the errant
member, upon resolution by the
Session, would “be suspended
from sealing ordinances until
he gave evidence of reforma
tion.* One minutes entry in
1850 indicates that one member
appeared before the Session
and “expressed his sorrow for
having indulged in spiritous
liquors to an improper extent
and promised that in the future
he would be more cir
cumspect.* His statement was
read publicy from the pulpit.
Admittedly, times have changed
and not entirely for the best
* * *
We all admire the wisdom of
people who come to us for ad
vice.—Jack Herbert, quoted by
Earl Wilson, Publlshers-Hall
Syndicate.
BY C. BRYAN HOLLAND
Mount Zion, which was locat
ed a short distance north
west of Clinton was the
Methodist Church for this com
munity until 1854 when it was
moved to West Main street in
the village. The official name
of the denomination was, Me
thodist Episcopal Church,
South. When Mount Zion was
moved plans were made to
organize another Church farth
er north as Clinton was to
far from that community. The
Leesville site was selected and
services were held there in a
summer. All the Methodist
Churches in the Laurens County
area were on one circuit (some
times referred to as a Charge)
which had been formed in 1824
from the Newberry and Fnoree
River circuits. There were no
Churches in Clinton at this
time. Salem Methodist (closed
about 1900) was three miles ut
the Newberry road. The
organizing and building a
Church atthe Leesville site v.as
delayed to help build the Church
in Clinton. The war between the
States also delayed the I^ees-
ville project till after ttie war.
In the summer of 1865 ser
vices were resumed at the
Leesville site. On February 3,
1866 the Church lot was pur
chased by trustees for the local
membership (not for .my Con
ference). The Church building
was begun and was in use tie-
fore the end of the year, al
though not completed at the
time. In the Laurens County
area there was still nly one
pastor with one or more Leal
(lay preachers) assistants
serving 13 Churches. Leesville
was not assigned a past' >r at this
time and had Sunday School,
prayer services, Class meet
ings for the study of the Bible
and church doctrine, and wor
ship services when a preacher
was available.
In the fall of 1867 the South
Carolina Annual conference of
the Methodist Episcopal
Church, South divided the Lau
rens circuit andput the church
es in the eastern part of the
county in a new Clinton cir
cuit which included these
churches, Clinton, Salem,
Hopewell, Sardis, Rehoboth,
Sandy Springs and leesville
leaving seven churches on the
Laurens circuit. The Rev. John
Attaway was assigned to the
new circuit and was the first
pastor "f Leesville. That yeai
seventy three charter memliers
joined the Church, twenty two
from Clinton, Salem and Sandy
Springs. Fifty one from other
'Jenominations and >n profes
sion of faith. The pastor and
Church officers gave reports
to a quarterly c'>nference which
is still ttie practice. Church
conferences were held when
necessary and the membership
roll was called once each year
which is still done. The re
ports ' f ttie pastors given to the
conferences mentioned ttie con
duct f ttie memters which he
usually reported as good but
some were put on probation,
ttiis practice has since teen
discontinued. Ttie Church
cemetery wus started in 1868.
Ttie rigii'nal church tmlding
is still in use. It was remodel
ed in 1897, additions were made
in 1937 and 1956. Forty nine
pastors and several supply pas
tors have served ttie Church.
Three returned the seend time
but no .ne has served ttie
Church for more than four
years.
In April 1939 Leesville
Churcti refused to enter Me-
thodist union and joined with
other Methodist Churcties and
new congregations in organiz
ing ttie Southern Methodist
Churcti. The Churcti has Sun
day (Church) School (funda
mental literature is used in
cluding ttie catechisms), Fp-
worth League for the young
people Sunday evenings, wor
ship services Sunday mornings
and evenings. Ttie Woman’s
Missionary Society have their
regular meetings. Rev. Gary
K. Briden ispastor. The Church
is located just off ttie old Clin
ton-Laurens road.
Featured On Tours
Of Laurens County
Octagon House
wm
■mm
Lafayette Young Houae
Tour 4