The Clinton chronicle. (Clinton, S.C.) 1901-current, November 12, 1970, Image 29

Below is the OCR text representation for this newspapers page. It is also available as plain text as well as XML.

L QPhe Clinton Chronicle Nov. 12. 1370 9—THE CHRONICLE, Clinton, S. C., TOURS OF HISTORIC SITES— R«produc«d From Brochure Prepared By Laurens County Historic Preservation Commission ;Sponsored By M.S. Bailey & Son, Bankers TOUR 1 Hickory Tavern Hickory Tavern This budding was originally an inn on the stage coach route to Pendleton The bullet holes in walls give evidence to a Revo lutionary War fracas Dials Church Dials Methodist Church was or ganized m 1808 at the home of Revolutionary War soldier Mar tin Dials Patton House This pre-Revolutionary War house is one of the oldest houses m Laurens County Was used as a post office m the early 1800 s Known as Highland Home post office Still has the pigeon-hole cabinet used for mail Now the home of P W Manley whose collection of clocks is interest ing and can be viewed only by permission New Harmony Church New Harmony Church was or ganized m 1845 The facilities are shared by a Baptist and a Presbyterian congregation- each having separate services and pastors League House Ante-Bellum home of Fleming family now home of Jake Lea gue Contains Leagues collec tion of guns and plantations rel ics For view only with permis sion Westmoreland House The Westmoreland House was built about 1840 It was the boy hood home of the father and grandfather of General William I Childs Westmoreland chairman Joint Chie's of Staff Tour 1 COOKS New Prospect Baptist Church Situated IVi miles northwest from Tumbling Shoals, it was or ganized in 1867 and is the moth- or church of the Tumbling Shoals Association Hunter House (#1) This house, built in 1830 by John Hunter III. is distinct because of the unique style used in laying the brick The surrounding box wood gardens are an additional outstanding feature Hunter House (#2) This house was built in 1825 by John Hunter II CROSSROAD ■ /| /£ x /#* 67 o° / ^ J 3»f NEW HARMONY ■ L I? ° 1/ ’ \ . ^^CHURCH^ k O' 0 O V) HUNTER (*1) ORA LEAGUE HOUSE LANFOR LAURENS Musgrove Mil and Battleground Tory strength m South Carolina up-country was severly uprooted here at the Battle of Musgrove Mill, August 18 1780 Tory Ma jor Edward Musgrove s house served as the headquarters of British activity in the area The major s daughter Mary, however, aided the Whigs and distin guished herself as a Revolution ary War patriot Riser Brick House Stage coach stop built around 1800 Used as watering place for horses of Jefferson Davis party on way from Cross Keys to Martins Depot (now Joanna) on April 30. 1865 Langston Baptist Church Langston Baptist Church was organized in 1 777 This site served as mustering grounds for the chief confederate company from this area. Co F, 14th Regi ment South Carolina Volunteers Stomp Springs The area surrounding these springs served as a popular meeting place for Indians La ter the establishment of resorts and camp sites whch were used here from the 1800 s to the 1920 s was attributed to the al leged medicinal value of the water Duncan Creek Church Duncan CreekChurch was found- m 1764 and is the oldest church m the county The present build ing was erected m 1842 Soldiers from both the Revolu tionary and Civil Wars are buried in the church graveyard Craig House Built by Joshua Craig in 1829 Owned at present by Shelton Rimer Rocky Spring Church Rocky Spring Church was or ganized in 1780 The present sanctuary was built in 1920. and the educational building was added in 1965 Soldiers from both the Revolutionary and Ci vil Wars are buried in the church cemetery CoM Water Named for a nearby S S Post Office Built in 1843 by James Park Dillard. Confederate Army; owned Dillard Estate Ora ARP Church and cemetery Organized in 1790 and first known as Mado'es Old Field Church Name changed in 1809 to Warrior Creek Again in 1836 to what is still the official name Bethel" Hurricane Baptist Church This Baptist Church was organ ization in 1632 and takes its name from the fact that the origi nal structure was leveled to the ground during a storm before construction was completed Whitten Village The State Training School for mentally retarded children, Whit ten Village, was founded in 1918 The school under the direction of its first superintendent, Dr Benjamin O Whitten, opened the first dormitory in 1920 Has become a model for modern in stitutions of this type throughout the United States Jefferson Davis Route On his flight from Richmond, Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy passed through Laurens County on April 30 and May 1, 1865 He first stopped at Riser Brick House (Tour 3), passed through Martin's Depot (now Joanna), and spent the night in the Lafayette Young House (Tour 4). Other members of the entourage stayed at near by houses Local residents can point them out to tourists Davis delivered a speech at the Grif fin Williams House (Tour 4) the following morning before leav ing for Coronaca (then Simms Crossroad) in Greenwood Coun ty. Before leaving Laurens coun ty the party made another stop to water horses at Carters Well (Tour 4) The approximate routs is indicated by the broken blue line on maps of Tours 3 and 4 HICKORY TAVERN S 16 DIAL HOUSE LAURENS °S: Midden House Martin s General Store Originally known as Daniels Store also Bee Hive it was built 157 years ago by James W Darnel, he being one of 12 men who operated it Now owned and operated by J Harold Martin Old Irby Post Office Operated before the days of Ru ral Free Delivery Formerly own ed by Thomas L Wood Now own ed by Mr and Mrs Roscoe Flem ing Wheeler House The original wing of the Wheeler House was built in the early 1800 s Later additions were made during the period between 1840 and 1860 Tour 2 Poplar Springs Baptist Church Organized July 14. 1794 The spring, poplar tree, baptismal pool, and restored dressing rooma are at the foot of the hill to the rear John Balentine Home Acquired from John Milam who migrated to Pontatoc. Miss in 1843 Located on plantation of 733 acres House presently own ed by Mr and Mrs Marvin R Riddle Burnt Factory Site of a factory organized in 1829 by John Garlmgton. William F Downes.and Rchard F Simp son for manufacture of cotton thread Known orgmally as Lau rens Cotton and Wood Factory Wasburnedm 1837 Dial House House built in 1869 by Capt Al bert Dial on property which was an original Royal Land Grant N ow The home ef-Frank Dial Sullivan House Built in 1847 by George Wash ington Sullivan Herbert House Built in 1854 by Allan Dial Now the home of C C Herbert family Rosemont Rosemont, once the best known plantation in up-country South Carolina, was the birth place and home of Ann Pamela Cunning ham (1816-1875) initiator of the movement to preserve and re store Mt Vernon, home and bur ial place ot George Washington The family mansion, built in 1769, was destroyed by fire in 1930 Gray House Built in 1856 by Dr Anthony C Fuller Now the home of Judge Robert L Gray John Madden House Built m 1830 s by John Madden NowownedbyMrs M B Nckles Hayes Station A Revolutionary War massacre took place at Hayes Station on October 17,1781 where" B loody Bill Cunningham and his band of Tories captured the Hayes Sta tion post and ruthlessly slew fourteen of his Whig prisoners A monument, erected in mem ory of the massacred men, now stands at this site Paste y House Built in 1787 by Capt Robert Pasley who was sent to this area to be in charge of a company of men during the Revolution Two years after the war, he was grant ed several hundred acres of land on Beaverdam Creek (1785) He is said to have built his home in 1787 Located in the Beaverdam Church vicinity on a dirt road which ends at the house Owned by Mrs G C Watts. Mountville Calhoun Graham lives there The tall two story unpamted frame house has very broad chimneys at each end Williams House The house of Col John D Wil liams was built with the use of slave labor in 1861 Hammonds Store Apre-Revolutionary trading post and a gun and blacksmith shop were located at this site It once was the scene of a skirmish dur ing the Revolutionary War Lafayette Young Houae Jefferson Davis spent the night of April 30. 1865 in this house as he was passing through Mar tin's Depot, now Joanna, on his flight from Richmond. The bed room furniture he used is still in the house Orffttn WHHams House On the morning of May 1, 1865, Jefferson Davis joined other members of his party at this house on their flight from Rich mond Before departing he de livered a short talk to well-wish ers from the balcony Now home of Roscoe Bundrick Liberty Spring Continental soldiers met here and used the spring for watering their horses during various anti- British raids Liberty Spring Presbyterian Church, located nearby, was founded in 1787 Judge Hunter House This was the pre-Revolutionary War home of Judge John Hun ter Judge Hunter was the first judge to serve in the Piedmont area He helped in the laying out ot Laurens County, and he later served in the U S Senate Rock Bridge The formation of rock over the small stream creates a natural bridge which was used by many horse and bdggy travelers J.H.Coteman House This well known stage coach stop served as quarters during the Revolutionary War for Brit ish officers at the time of a hur ricane They were on their way to Star Fort at Ninety-Six Now the home of J H Coleman Carter s Well Site of the final stop in Laurens County on Jefferson Davis flight from Richmond at the end of the Civil War Providence ARP Cemetery The sole Whig survivor of the Hayes Station Massacre of Oc tober 17, 1781, William Blakely, is buried in this cemetery Young House The original house of hewn logs is believed to have been built in 1756 These logs are still in the walls of the present house It is certain the house was built prior to 1778 The original rock chim neys are still m use Belfast Having been built in 1786 this old mansion has been a show- place for nearly 200 years Bel fast was one of Laurens County s first post offices The name comes from Belfast. Ireland the original home of the builder John Simpson A descendant William Dunlap Simpson became Gover nor m 1880 In 1851 the home was purchased by William H Wallace of Newberry and m 1946 by Champion Paper and Fibre Company, the present owners, who use it as a quiet recreation al retreat CLINTON JOANNA HOUSE I Church HopSweH Church was organized in 1803 by the first American Methodist bishop. Francis As- bury The present building was started in 1835 and completed in 1840