The gamecock. (Columbia, S.C.) 1908-2006, November 11, 2005, Page 7, Image 7
Rex C. Curry / The Associated Press
A poster shows how BAE System's JETEYE, a missile defense system, would work on a commercial
airliner as Burt Keirstead, background standing, program director, describes the system to the media
on Thursday at Alliance Airport in Fort Worth, Texas.
Iwo companies cite test success
in airline defense technology
Leslie IDiller
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
WASHINGTON — Two
companies working for the
government say they have
successfully tested systems to
defend passenger airplanes
against shoulder-fired missiles.
BAE Systems and Northrop
Grumman both say they will
meet the government’s deadline
of producing a workable system
by January. It is unclear whether
Congress or the Bush
administration will require
airlines to use the technology
and, if they do, who will pay the
multibillion-dollar tab for
deployment and maintenance.
The chairman of the House
Transportation and
Infrastructure subcommittee on
aviation is leading the push in
Congress to equip U.S. planes
with the technology. A bill by
Rep. John Mica, R-Fla„ would
require the systems on the
largest airliner, the Airbus super
jumbo A380, which is supposed
to go into service late next year.
The legislation, if it became law,
would affect any A380 that flew
in the United States.
'Mica plans to introduce a bill
to require systems on some
planes that may pose a particular
risk, such as international
flights. The government may
pay for part of the systems, he
said.
“I don’t believe terrorists will
be successful in taking down a
domestic aircraft, but I think
were overdue for international
aircraft to be hit,” Mica said.
Congress has agreed to pay
for developing technology to
counter lightweight ' rocket
launchers, but balked at
proposals to'spend the billions
needed to protect all 6,800
commercial U.S. airliners.
No passenger plane has ever
been downed by a shoulder-fired
missile outside of a combat
zone. But terrorists linked with
al-Qaida are believed to have
fired two SA-7 missiles that
narrowly missed an Israeli
passenger jet after it took off
from Mombasa, Kenya, in
November 2002.
Under pressure from
Congress, the Homeland
Security Department last year
gave Northrop and BAE $45
million each to adapt military
missile defense systems so they
can be used by airlines. Military
systems require too much
maintenance — and fire by
mistake too often — to be used
on a passenger airliner.
BAE and Northrop
Grumman conducted flight tests
on Wednesday and Thursday to
demonstrate that their
prototypes were aeronautically
sound and would not impair the
planes’ ability to fly.
An American Airlines Boeing
767 outfitted with BAE’s Jeteye
system successfully flew figure
eights over Alliance Field in Fort
Worth, Texas, while Northrop
Grumman’s Guardian system
was tested Wednesday on an
MD-11 jet that flew around
after taking off from Mojave
Airport in California.
The Guardian system
jammed 177 simulated missiles
in a separate test, said Northrop
spokeswoman Katie Lamb.
Both Northrop and BAE
systems use lasers to jam the
guidance systems of incoming
missiles, which lock onto the
heat of an aircraft’s engine.
Northrop and BAE are
required to come up with
systems that will cost less than
$1 million each to install. They
also must require far less
maintenance, than the military
versions.
The Homeland Security
Department set a standard of an
average of 3,000 hours of flight
before the system fails and
requires repairs — 10 times
longer than the military’s
requirement.
DPflCE • COflTinUED PROIT11
With bids starting at $15,
prices rose fast as audience
members were happy to donate
money to a good cause.
Executive board member and
dater-to-be Sam Stokes said he
expected more than 100
people to show up for the
auction. The auction raised
$575 to be donated to the
children’s hospital.
“We wanted to raise both
financial awareness and
emotional awareness for the
children at Palmetto Health,”
said Emily Dawes, a third-year
political science student and
the event’s organizer. The date
auction, originally conceived
to replace the talent show
traditionally part of Carolinian
Creed Week, will raise money
and serve as a platform to
educate people about Dance
Marathon, Dawes said.
“I’m nervous that no one
will buy me,” said Sam Stokes,
a third-year media arts student.
To entice bidders to go on a
date with him for a tour of the
State House followed by
dinner at Villa Tronco, Stokes’
listed interests included “living
large and being fabulous.”
Some of the would-be daters
made sure they would be sold.
Third-year biology student
Mary Alice Hughes lined up a
friend to buy her date and give
it to Hughes’ boyfriend as a
Christmas present. Hughes
dressed the part for her date,
an hour at a shooting range,
wearing a camouflage hat, shirt
and pants.
Dance Marathon holds
fundraisers throughout the
year in preparation of the main
event in February. Since 1998,
dedicated USC students have
spent one day a year dancing
for 24 straight hours. Dance
Marathon can be found at
many college campuses
nationwide; it originated at
Penn State in 1972. Last year’s
event raised a record-setting
$87,000.
Comments-on this story? E-mail
gamecocknews@gwm.sc.edu
6RCCH • cormnucD FROm I
Center.
Sigma Nu team member
Ryan Passe, a second-year
business student, said the event
is not only fun but for a good
cause.
“Even though we’re
completing, we’re all working
together for charity,” Passe said.
Following the semifinal
games, ADPi played host to a
barbecue open to the public.
Chi Omega member Carter
Cox, a first-year education
student, said the best aspect of
the tournament was “getting to
be on a team with you sisters”
and donating to a worthy cause.
All proceeds of the eat-a-thon
benefit the Ronald McDonald
House of Columbia, which
serves as a home for families of
critically ill children.
“The Ronald McDonald
House is ADPi’s national
philanthropy project,” said
Jessica Crowder, a first-year
print journalism student. “We
work with them every week, get
to know the children in the
house and we see firsthand how
it helps them.”
Grace Laird, a fourth-year
biology student and
philanthropy chairwoman,
said the sorority has made
more than $9,000 so far but
looks to exceed last year’s
$12,000 total.
Funds are raised through
donations from businesses and
students, the eat-a-thon, and
entry fees for the tournament.
ADPi also sponsored a “Mr.
Basketball” contest. Each
fraternity nominated a team
member to be Mr. Basketball.
The contestant with the most
money in his jar won the title.
Comments on this story? E-mail
gamecocknews@gurm.sc.edu
U.S., Europe agree to compromise
on expanding Iran’s nuclear plans
George Jahn
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
VIENNA, Austria — The
United States and Europe have
agreed on a compromise plan
to accept expanded nuclear
activities by Iran, but only if
the enrichment process — a
possible pathway to nuclear
arms — is moved to Russia,
senior officials and diplomats
said Thursday.
If accepted by Iran, the
proposal could end a tug-of
war over whether to refer the
Islamic republic to the U.N.
Security Council for possible
sanctions.
The officials and diplomats,
who demanded anonymity in
exchange for discussing the
strategy, said the plan would
allow Iran to continue
converting raw uranium into
the gas that is spun by
centrifuges into enriched
uranium.
But actual enrichment
would take place in Russia,
they told The Associated Press.
Depending on its level,
enrichment can be used to
generate energy — • Iran’s
stated interest — or make
nuclear weapons — something
the United States and its allies
say Tehran wants to do.
Secretary of State
Condoleezza Rice expressed
hopes that a deal with Iran
could be reached over its
nuclear program. But she
would not confirm that the
United States would back the
deal with Europe as described
by the officials and diplomats.
“There is no U.S.-European
proposal to the Iranians,” Rice
said. “I want to say that
categorically. There isn’t and
there won’t be.”
“We do hope that if there is
a way for the Iranians to accept
a way forward that would give
confidence that they are not in
fact trying to seek, nuclear
weapons under Cover of
civilian nuclear power that
they would take that,” Rice
said.
In August, Iran resumed
uranium conversion. That
prompted Britain, France and
Germany to break off talks
with Tehran meant to dispel
fears about its nuclear agenda.
It also led a September
meeting of the International
Atomic Energy Agency’s 35
nation board to approve a
resolution clearing the way for
Iran’s referral to the U.N.
Security Council at a Nov. 24
board session.
Rice predicted the United
States has sufficient support
at the IAEA to send Iran
before the Security Council
for possible sanctions, but a
deal ahead of the session later
this month could avert a
vote.
The IAEA is probing nearly
18 years of covert Iranian
nuclear activities, including
experiments that could be
used in weapons development,
which were revealed more than
three years ago. Tehran
recently agreed to accelerate
coopefation with IAEA
inspectors to blunt the threat
of Security Council action.
Publicly, the Americans and
France, Britain _and Germany,
which are representing the 25
nation European Union in the
talks, have insisted Iran needs
to stop all enrichment-related
activity — including uranium
conversion — to. banish the
prospect of Security Council
referral.
But a senior European
official told AP the EU and
Washington were now
prepared to allow Iran to
continue conversion as long
as the gas produced was
shipped to Russia and
enriched there. That would
allow international control'
over the level of enrichment,
ensuring it was below the
levels that can be used for
weapons.
IAEA chief Mohamed
ElBaradei “supports the efforts
of the countries that are
presently engaged in
developing ... a proposal”
acceptable to all, said Melissa
Fleming, a spokeswoman for
the Vienna-based agency. She
declined to discuss specifics.
The New York Times first
" reported that the Europeans
and the Americans had
approved the new offer. But
the European official
emphasized that neither the
Americans nor the Europeans
were eager to claim the plan as
their own.
SG to offer car-care seminar
Albany Gault
FOR THE GAMECOCK
Student Government has
partnered with USC Parking
Services for an upcoming
seminar called “Know Your
Vehicle” for students, faculty
and staff.
SG will work with Parking
Services Director Derrick
Huggins to teach those who
drive home for the holidays
how to care for their car in
situations such as breakdowns
or flat tires.
Students and faculty will be
informed on fluid indicators
and monitors, how to use a
tire jack and how to check tire
pressure on their automobile.
There will also be a
discussion on ways to improve
gas mileage and how to take
care of certain parts of a car.
“This is a great program
sponsored by Student
Government to help students
become aGcustom to their own
automobiles,” Huggins said.
“Police officers will be on hand
to instruct you of what to do
when your vehicle breaks
down and how to contact
help.”
The seminar will be at
Pendleton Street Garage on
Nov. 17 at 3 p.m. and is free.
The seminar is scheduled to
last 30 to 45 minutes. Those
who wish to, participate will
have to register online at
www.sg.sc.edu.
“We’re just trying to find a
way for students to be safer on
the roads,” said SG Treasurer
Tommy Preston, a third-year
political science student.
Comments on this story? E-mail
gamecocknews@gwm.sc. edu
SEMITE • CODTinUED PROfl) I
The amendment now must
be approved by USC President
Andrew Sorensen before being
placed on a ballot for
February’s SG elections.
The senate also rescinded
the two amendments to last
week’s resolution
congratulating the Gamecocks’
victory against the University
of Tennessee in football. The
amendments would have sent
copies of the amendment to'
Tennessee’s football team, its
mascot, Smokey, the student
newspaper and coach Phillip
Fulmer.
Sen. John Rabon, the
resolution’s original sponsor,
called for the amendments’
removal after several senators
remarked that constituents
were complaining about the
legislation’s “unsportsmanlike”
demeanor.
The amendments were voted
to be removed with near
unanimous consent.
Another piece of legislation
passed was a resolution asking
professors to post course
descriptions and required
textbooks online for students
before registration.
The original language,
written by sponsor Piper, called
for syllabi to be posted online,
but Sen. Nicole Modeen
argued that professors are
hesitant to release detailed
schedules on the Internet
because some professors’
original ideas could be copied
or duplicated once posted
publicly online.
“Sometimes faculty will put
new ideas (for lectures or
projects) in their syllabi, so
called intellectual property,”
Modeen said. “They get very
nervous about their intellectual
property being tampered with
once it’s online.”
Piper submitted an
amendment striking “syllabi”
from the language. SG
Treasurer Tommy Preston, a
third-year political science
student, said he had consulted
the Dean Council and Faculty
Senate and plans were under
way in both bodies to address
posting course information
online.
u s a simple mailer or
student rights,” Piper said.
“Students can be better
prepared for classes (and will
not) be tricked into taking
classes that (they) think is one
thing and instead is another.”
Also passed Wednesday was
a bill changing electoral codes,
adding some specific
restrictions to campaigns for
SG positions.
Sen. Jonathan Ross’
legislation amended the codes
to restrict candidates from
using Technology Services-run
listservs and other university
related blanket mailouts, but
allowed the use of non
university messaging systems
'like Facebook.com and Yahoo!
Groups, provided their use is
within other election
guidelines.
Student organizations now
can endorse candidates as well,
although the original language
of the bill restricted
endorsements to organizations
not receiving SG funds. An
amendment submitted by Ross
changed the language.
The last provision restricted
person-to-person distribution
of campaign materials to within
organization meetings in the
days before elections.
Campaigners can still hand Out
literature in any fashion on the
days of elections as well as
reserve campaign display tames
for the election period.
In other news, Sen. Tyler
Ray announced SG was
attempting to fund a campus
wide broadcast of the Carolina
football game against Clemson,
in lieu of Jefferson Pilot Sports’
decision not to air the game, a
first since 1983. Carolina
Productions is already funding
a broadcast of the game in the
Russell House Theater, said
Sen. Chase Stoudenmire.
Comments on this story? E-mail
gamecocknews&gwm. sc. edu