The gamecock. (Columbia, S.C.) 1908-2006, January 28, 2004, Page 7, Image 7
Occupying jraq
PHOTO COURTESY OF KRT CAMPUS
Iraqi men walk past the destroyed U.N. headquarters building in Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, January 27, 2004.
6 U.S. soldiers killed in
separate roadside attacks
• BY HAMZA HENDAWI
TIIK ASS(H:iATEU I'llESS
BAGHDAD, IRAQ - The United
Nations agreed to send a team to
Iraq to help break the impasse
over choosing a new government,
if the Americans — who lost six
more soldiers Tuesday in road
side bombings — can provide ad
equate security.
A bomb that exploded south of
Baghdad killed three U.S. soldiers
and wounded three others
Tuesday night, hours after a sep
arate bombing west of the capital
killed three U.S. paratroopers and
wounded one, the military said.
In addition, two employees of
Cable News Network died in a
shooting south of Baghdad.
Elsewhere, U.S. troops killed
^ three suspected members of a
guerrilla cell during raids
Tuesday in the central Iraqi town
of Beiji, the Army said. And a sus
pected car bomb was discovered
near coalition and Iraqi
Governing Council offices.
The United States has cited the
ongoing violence in arguing
against demands by Grand
Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al
Sistani for the direct election of a
provisional legislature, which in
turn will select a government to
take power by July 1.
Instead, Washington wants the
lawmakers chosen in 18 region
al caucuses. The Americans and
the U.S.-appointed Iraqi
Governing Council asked U.N.
Secretary-General Kofi Annan to
send a team to determine
whether an early election would
be feasible.
In Paris, Annan said he be
lieves the United Nations can
play “a constructive role” in help
ing to break the impasse, and
would send such a team to Iraq
“once I am satisfied that the
(coalition) will provide adequate
security arrangements.”
Annan said the mission will
solicit the views of Iraqis to find
alternative ways to choose a pro
visional government. Shiite
Muslim leaders have said al
Sistani wants to hear alternatives
to the caucus plan if the U.N.
team says it’s not feasible to hold
elections by the end of June.
The U.N. chief also said send
ing in “blue helmet” peacekeep
ers was not on the agenda, al
though he favored a multination
al force for Iraq sometime in the
future.
“I believe what we can antici
pate would be a multinational
force authorized by the Security
Council, which could help and
work with Iraqis to stabilize Iraq
and make it safer,” Annan said.
“This would be a multinational
force, with the support of the
Security Council, and not ‘blue
helmets’ per se.”
The decision to seek U.N. help
marked a major policy reversal
by the Bush administration,
which had sought to minimize
the U.N. role since U.S.-led forces
invaded the country on March 20.
The latest U.S. blueprint for Iraq,
announced Nov. 15, made no men
tion of the United Nations.
Annan withdrew international
staff from Iraq last year after two
attacks on the U.N. headquarters.
U.N. officials had said Annan
insisted on a clear, significant
role in Iraq before he would con
sider returning international
staff.
In New York, U.N. spokeswom
an Marie Okabe said a two-mem
ber U.N. security team arrived in
Baghdad on Tuesday to begin as
sessing the security situation
ahead of the U.N. elections team.
Iraqi leaders have urged the
United Nations to return to pro
vide legitimacy to the new gov
ernment and avoid the stigma of
association with the U.S.-led oc
cupation.
Bush reasserts
confidence in
war decision
BY TERENCE HUNT
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
WASHINGTON - President
Bush on Tuesday vigorously de
fended his decision to go to war
against Iraq despite chief inspec
tor David Kay’s conclusion that
Saddam Hussein did not have
weapons of mass destruction, as
the United States had believed.
Bush said he had “great confi
dence” in the intelligence com
munity, which had provided pre
war estimates about what Saddam
had in his arsenal. Bush refrained
from saying that weapons of mass
destruction would be discovered
eventually. Bush had cited
Saddam’s alleged weapons as jus
tification for the war.
“There is no doubt in my mind
that Saddam Hussein was a gath
ering threat to America and oth
ers. That’s what we know,” Bush
said.
The issue was injected into the
presidential campaign when re
tired chief U.S. weapons inspector
David Kay said he had concluded,
after nine months of searching,
that deposed Saddam did not have
stockpiles of forbidden weapons.
Confronted with Kay’s statement,
administration officials declined
to repeat their once-ironclad as
sertions that Saddam had them.
“There is no doubt in my mind
the world is a better place without
Saddam Hussein,” Bush said
Tuesday. “America is more se
cure. The world is safer and the
people of Iraq are free.”
Bush spoke with reporters in
the Oval Office during a meeting
with Polish President Aleksander
Kwasniewski.
The Polish leader defended
Bush.
“It’s very difficult today to judge
how it was — when he had
(weapons), when he decided to
continue these projects of mass de
struction weapons,” Kwasniewski
said.
Kwasnieswki said a top U.N.
weapons inspector had told him
that “absolutely, Iraq is ready to
produce (weapons) if it is neces
sary to keep the power of the dic
tatorship of Saddam and to play
such an important role in the re
gion.”
A year ago, the president ap
peared certain about Iraq’s arse
nal. “The dictator of Iraq has got
weapons of mass destruction,”
Bush said on Jan. 22, 2003. On
Tuesday, Bush said, “It’s very im
portant for us to let the Iraq sur
vey group do its work so we can
find out the facts and compare the
facts to what was thought.”
Democrats pounced on Kay’s
conclusion as evidence that
President Bush duped the nation
about a principle reason for going
to war.
Campaigning in New
Hampshire, Sen. John Kerry,
seeking the Democratic presiden
tial nomination, said Bush had
misled the people. “When the pres
ident of the United States looks at
you and tells you something, there
'should be some trust. He’s broken
every one of those promises,” the
Massachusetts senator said.
Howard Dean, another
Democratic candidate, said, “The
White House has not been candid
with the American people about
virtually anything with the Iraq
war.”
Sen. Joe Lieberman, another
Democratic candidate campaign
ing in New Hampshire, urged an
investigation or congressional
hearings “on the intelligence that
some of us saw directly, and the
statements that the administra
tion was making and the empha
sis the administration was putting
on weapons of mass destruction.
Friday, January 30th
10pm - 2am
Russell House
Lobby — I