The gamecock. (Columbia, S.C.) 1908-2006, October 12, 2001, Image 1
_
INS holds ex-USC student
Thirty-three
foreign students
cancel USC trips
BY GREG HAMBRICK
THE GAMECOCK
Some international students who
had planned to come to USC this
weekend have canceled their trips,
and one former student continues
to be detained by the Immigration
and Naturalization Services.
Thirty-three foreign students
who planned to begin USC’s English
Program for Internationals on
Monday have canceled their trips
to USC.
Dr. Alexandra Rowe, director of
the program, said, though the num
ber of students in the program typi
cally averages about 125, only 70 stu
dents would participate in the com
ing term. The program provides
English-as-a-second-language in
struction to international students.
USC spokesman Russ McKinney
said no current international stu
dents have left the campus since re
ports last week that 12 had returned
home. “We think we have stabilized
for the semester,” McKinney said.
According to his friends, one
previous student of the program,
Mohammad Alghamdi, continues
to be detained by the INS in
Dallas. Alghamdi was picked up
by the INS in Atlanta when try
ing to return to Saudi Arabia
with his sister, Wafaa Alghamdi.
The siblings left Columbia after
four men verbally assaulted
Wafaa Alghamdi and tried to re
move her headscarf on campus
Sept 12.
No charges have been filed
against Alghamdi. The siblings’
*
__ *
friends think he’s being detained
because he has the same last name
as three men suspected to be hi
jackers in the Sept. 11 attacks.
However, from INS headquarters
in Washington, D.C., Chief Press
Officer Russ Bergeron told The
Gamecock Thursday that he
couldn’t comment on this specific
case, but that it wasn’t INS practice
to hold people on name alone.
“I can state unequivocally that
we wouldn’t detain someone solely
because they have the same name
as someone else,” Bergeron said.
Alghamdi had left USC’s pro
gram in May, but remained in the
area. Rowe said it’s not unusual
for the students to stay in the U.S.
once the term is up.
♦ STUDENTS, SEE PAGE 3
OUR FLAG IS STILL THERE
People attending a memorial service hold American flags at the Pentagon Thursday for the military and civilian workers who were killed in the
Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, photo by chuck kennedy/krt campus
Remembering a dark day
One month later,
2 damaged cities
show tears, hope
BY JERRY SCHWARTZ
ASSOCIATED PRESS
NEW YORK - Through un
stinting smoke and endless tears,
weary cleanup workers paused
for a moment at ground zero
Thursday to mark a grim mile
stone — the passage of one
month since two colossal towers
ceased to exist, along with thou
sands of people trapped inside.
It was a day for remembering.
In Washington, President Bush
joined multitudes at the Pentagon
to remember the 189 people who
died there that same September
day. There were ceremonies in
places far from the devastation,
but still reeling from the acts.
“On Sept. 11, great sorrow came
to our country, and from that sor
row has come great resolve,” the
president said at the nerve center
of the nation’s military.
A “cult of evil” attacked the
Pentagon, the World Trade
Center and United Flight 93 over
Pennsylvania, Bush said, and
“there is no shelter” for those re
sponsible. “We have the patience
to fight and win on many fronts,”
he said.
After taps was played and after
choruses of “America the
Beautiful,” the names of the victims
were scrolled on television screens.
“Their deaths, like their lives, shall
have meaning,” said Defense
Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld.
“We remember their deeds,”
said Gen. Richard Myers, chair
man of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
“We call them heroes — not be
cause they died, but because they
lived in service to the greater
good.”
A single red rose was placed on
the seat of each relative of each
victim. Members of the cabinet
and Congress sat by, solemnly.
In New York, workers took off
♦ MEMORIAL, SEE PAGE 2
No. 9 Gamecocks will take on Arkansas Saturday
BY ADAM BEAM
THE GAMECOCK
The last time South Carolina
visited Little Rock, Ark., the game
clock couldn’t move fast enough.
What a difference a year makes.
After USC’s impressive 8-4
turnaround from a string of 21
straight losses, the now ranked
No. 9 Gamecocks find themselves
heading into Arkansas as an
eight-point favorite.
The last USC visit to War
Memorial Stadium ended in a 48
14 pounding that left the
Gamecocks licking their wounds.
Because of injuries, coach Lou
Holtz was forced to play two walk
ons with a freshman at quarter
back. After gaining only 180 yards
on offense and committing five
turnovers, it looked as if the
Gamecocks were too bad even for
the highly acclaimed Holtz to
help.
This time, the Gamecocks will
head into Razorback country on the
wave of a six-game winning streak
that dates back to their victory over
Ohio State in the Outback Bowl. In
contrast, Arkansas has a 2-3 record,
with its only wins coming over
Division I-AA Weber State and non
SEC foe Nevada-Las Vegas.
Topping it off, Holtz will be re
turning to the school he coached
from 1977-1983, a remarkable run
that included six straight bowl
game appearances. Arkansas
head coach Houston Nutt is a for
mer player and graduate assistant
for Holtz.
“This game really concerns me
because of my ties with
Arkansas," Holtz said in a SEC
teleconference Wednesday. “They
have seven people on their staff
who have an association with me,
whether it is former players I
coached or former assistant
coaches who were under me, so it
will be emotionally tough.”
The Gamecocks have a chance
to go 6-0 for the first time since
1988. The 1984 team won nine
games in a row, a school record,
before losing to Navy. With
Vanderbilt up next after
Arkansas, USC could be looking
at a 7-0 record going into the Oct.
27 showdown with Tennessee in
Knoxville.
But in order to get there, the
Gamecocks will have to defeat
Nutt, who is 10-0 in games played
at Little Rock.
Comments on this story? E-mail
gamecocksports@hotma i l.com.
Phil Petty hopes to keep his steady play going against
the Razorbacks in Little Rock. For more on the
upcoming game, see page 7. photo by travis lynn
USG’S PAST
Oct. 23,1976
President Gerald R. Ford
visited USC during the
Carolina-Notre Dame football
game.
\
WEATHER
Today Tomorrow
Partly cloudy, T-storms,
79/63 79/58
INSIDE TODAY’S ISSUE
use tops Clemson
in volleyball
Lady Gamecocks take second
straight from Tigers.
♦ PAGE 7
< Celtic rock band
to play Elbow Room
Seven Nations features fiddle,
bagpipes and electric guitar.
♦ PAGE 5
More
attacks
might
come
BY SONYA ROSS
ASSOCIATED PRESS
WASHINGTON - A month after
the deadliest attack on America,
President Bush said Thursday the
government was taking “every pos
sible step to protect our country”
from more terrorism. U.S. war
planes hit Afghanistan with bombs
for a fifth day, while the United
States and its allies reported freez
ing $24 million in assets of Osama
bin Laden and his supporters.
The FBI issued a public warning
that intelligence indicated a possi
ble new terrorist strike in the next
few days. Bush said the alert was is
sued because of “a general threat we
received”*and urged all Americans
to report any suspicious activity.
The" Senate approved legislation
to boost aviation security. It autho
rizes air marshals on commercial
flights, directs that steps be taken to
fortify cockpit doors, increases anti
hijacking training for flight crews
and imposes a $2.50 passenger fee
per flight leg to pay for the changes.
tsusn, meanwrme, usea me nrsi
prime-time news conference of his
presidency to update Americans on
the global effort to fight terrorism
since Sept. 11. He noted that citizens
should report suspicious activity
but avoid using that as a chance “to
pick on somebody that doesn’t look
like you or share your religion.”
“Americans tonight can know
that while the threat is ongoing,
we’re taking every possible step to
protect our country from danger,”
Bush said.
The president started the day at
an emotional service on an. un
scathed side of the Pentagon. Troops
with machine guns stood guard in
camouflage as Bush and his wife,
Laura, were joined by former
President Clinton, dozens of mem
bers of Congress, relatives of attack
victims and thousands of guests.
Outside the Pentagon, Defense
Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld
said U.S. bombing in Afghanistan
is now aimed at leaders of bin
Laden’s al-Qaida network and the
nation’s Taliban rulers.
Rumsfeld said it was likely that
bin Laden, the suspected master
mind of the Sept. 11 attacks, was
still hiding in the Afghan hills.
Bush assembled his Cabinet for
an update on the anti-terrorism
effort, and called his first formal
East Room news conference to
talk about the U.S. terrorism re
sponse of the past month.
me government so tar nas
questioned more than 600 people
suspected of involvement in the
attacks and has frozen $24 billion
in assets, Bush said. “We want the
terrorists to know that we’re after
them in all kinds of ways, and one
good way to make them ineffective
is to cut off their money,” he said.
Bush also asked Congress for ac
tion on other domestic matters: pas
sage of trade promotion authority
and Senate approval of his House
passed energy proposal, which has
languished since Sept. 11.
Vice President Dick Cheney re
turned to the White House for the
first time since Sunday’s U.S.-led
airstrikes. He attended a war
planning meeting, officials said,
but left before Bush’s news con
ference. Cheney has been staying
at a secure location away from the
♦ ATTACKS, SEE PAGE 2
| ONLINE POLL
Military strikes
Do you agree with the action
taken by the U.S. on
Afghanistan?
YES 89%
NO 9%
I DON7 KNOW 2%