The gamecock. (Columbia, S.C.) 1908-2006, January 30, 1958, SECTION THREE, Page Page Twenty-One, Image 21
* ..~. .. . ..
'ft
I
~ ;~..'
''* \~*~**~**.*\~*.*.*.**>.*****
~
* 4j1(c..
t
t
, ~4~' '~'
~ X\' ~"\
~
~*.
~
~7~
Carolina Is Ever Building
* #*
. . . . . . ..........~
WI k
(Continued from page 20)
In 1937 a Works Progress Administration grant provided for the construction of a
swimming pool. Also Simma and Preston Dormitories were begun two years later. Per
haps the most impressive structure of that era was McKissick Library, named for former
president J. Rion McKissick. This handsome but inadequate building was dedicated at
the 1941 commencement exercises.
Though faced with the problem of a more than doubled student body Carolina did not
add to her campus until the regime of Admiral Smith in 1949. It was in this period
that the proposed move gained support.
The present School of Law was completed in 1950 and the name Pettigru was trans
ferred to - it from the history building which was renamed Currell in honor of a former
University president. In the-same year ground was broken for the Administration Building
and a new science hall. Both were completed in 1952, the name LeConte following the science
professors to their new home. Old LeConte was then named Barnwell. There was also
a $800,000 addition to the school of engineering which brou:t ht total building expenditures
under the Admiral's administration to $2,050,000.
A popular cartoon of the time shows two University otficials staking out the lot for
a new edifice in the six-foot space between two massive walls.
The postwar building and improvement program began in earnest as Donald 8. Russen
assumed the duties of president in August of 1952. President Russeli was instrumental
in obtaining legislation which permitted state institutions to better finance improve
ments. This program brought about the renovation of practically all of the existing
dormitories.
Buildings constructed during President Russell's term include the nev School of Bus
mness Administration--460,000, the freshman girls' dormitory-$50,000, additioni tO the
School of Engineering--.250,000 and the fraternity quadrangl-800,00. Also, the cir
eular athletic center--$400,000, the Rumfei House - $1,250,000, the addition to Carolina
Stadium and the conversion of the heating plant froma coal to gas and oil. For these and
other improvement, the past administratsa apent close to $7,000,W.
The program today ashowsno migu of d.lwig down wi~th the RusneD Reuse ,dt.
and the new men's dormitory now under construction and work goon to egla s
women's dormitory and the undergrmduate library.
(Story byGene onesphotos byuResParss.) ''
qa -